Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I wore Pegasus 34 and 35 for marathons last year and the flyknits for 2 marathons this year. Both great shoes, but I find (for me) the flyknits are better for that distance. They're softer than the Pegasus, but give more bounce so I felt I had more energy in the latter stages.

That's interesting A. I got a pair of the Flyknits and have kinda decided to only use them for short/faster stuff. A couple of the reviews I read suggested that the carbon plate really only 'springs' at faster paces...they suggested 6:30-6:50 per mile. In the light of your experience I might try them for some longer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    That's interesting A. I got a pair of the Flyknits and have kinda decided to only use them for short/faster stuff. A couple of the reviews I read suggested that the carbon plate really only 'springs' at faster paces...they suggested 6:30-6:50 per mile. In the light of your experience I might try them for some longer stuff.

Just curious are ye talking about two different flyknits? Epic react vs zoomfly. Or is there any difference?

Just curious are ye talking about two different flyknits? Epic react vs zoomfly. Or is there any difference?

The Zoom Fly Flyknit...it's a giveaway for 64 euro on nike.ie. It is a cheapie version of the Vapourfly. It has the carbon plate but uses react foam rather than the newer foam that makes the Vapourfly sole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Totally different shoes! Flyknit is just referring to the upper of the shoe, it's one piece, no tongue, closer fit to the foot.
    Epics would be for more regular mileage but can handle a bit of pace. Zoom Flys are basically racers. A heavier version of the 4%'s with the React foam rather than the ZoomX foam.
    Epics, Zoom Fly and Vaporfly all have Flyknit uppers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Are they all gone, can't seem to see anything in nike.ie

Since I took up running I've been a staunch Brooks supporter, wearing various ghost pairs and now on Glycerin, albeit 16.

Willing to give the fly knit a try in search of supporting first marathon completion l.. Also open to any other recommendations similar to Brooks, which I like due to a wider fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

skyblue46 wrote: »

Ha, like I could run that pace!
    Give them a try on a long run S. All I can say is I've never felt such a spring in my step 18-20 miles in. Maybe placebo or just better training, but they felt great at 7:50 ish pace.

Ha, like I could run that pace!
    Give them a try on a long run S. All I can say is I've never felt such a spring in my step 18-20 miles in. Maybe placebo or just better training, but they felt great at 7:50 ish pace.

I won't be running 18-20 miles for a looonnnnggggg time! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Since I took up running I've been a staunch Brooks supporter, wearing various ghost pairs and now on Glycerin, albeit 16.

Willing to give the fly knit a try in search of supporting first marathon completion l.. Also open to any other recommendations similar to Brooks, which I like due to a wider fit

Mizuno wave rider are similar, I’m moving back to Brooks ghost though. Have mizuno trail, race and road shoes. Newest pair of wave riders I have are not as good as the last pair I have hoping the Brooks aren’t as nice as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Rojo wrote: »
    What's the sizing like for Nike? I wear 8.5 in Brooks Launch 5 at the moment.

Nike and Brooks sizing seem to be the same for me.

I have Brooks Launch 5, Glycerin 16 and the Nike Vaporflys - I take 11.5 in all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hi all,

I need a moderate stability shoe. The guys in the Run Hub said I slightly over pronate (albeit 4 years ago I think!) and they put me in the Kayanos. Love those shoes to be honest, even if they are on the expensive / indulgent side. Since then I've moved into New Balance and love them but I seem to have developed an itch and I'd like to try out the Hoka's. Been browsing the web and there's quite a few of them.

So I thought I'd ask the experts. For mild overpronation which of the Hoka One Ones is the best option? Websites have pointed me to the Gaviota 2 but they appear for heavy pronators?

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Nike and Brooks sizing seem to be the same for me.

I have Brooks Launch 5, Glycerin 16 and the Nike Vaporflys - I take 11.5 in all 3.

Admittedly I haven't ever been doing the mileage necessary but is it just an indulgent thing buying multiple pairs of shoes or do you wear x for one type of run and y for another.

Ive typically worn mine until I felt they went flat and bought another pair.

How many miles should you be getting out of a shoe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Arsenium wrote: »
    Hi all,

I need a moderate stability shoe. The guys in the Run Hub said I slightly over pronate (albeit 4 years ago I think!) and they put me in the Kayanos. Love those shoes to be honest, even if they are on the expensive / indulgent side. Since then I've moved into New Balance and love them but I seem to have developed an itch and I'd like to try out the Hoka's. Been browsing the web and there's quite a few of them.

So I thought I'd ask the experts. For mild overpronation which of the Hoka One Ones is the best option? Websites have pointed me to the Gaviota 2 but they appear for heavy pronators?

Any ideas?

The Arahi is the other support shoe that HOKA have. I don’t have them myself but I know they compare to the Mizuno Wave Inspire, Brooks Adrenaline etc. I’ve tried them on and very comfortable and toying with buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

New Balance Beacon
    6mm drop
    213g
    Picked them up last week, have ran easy, a tempo and a 16 miler in them.
    Faultless.
    If you want a do everything neutral shoe, this is it.
    A steal at €77 on newbalance.ie (down from €110 as the Beacon 2.0 is out now)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Sub430 wrote: »
    New Balance Beacon
    6mm drop
    213g
    Faultless.

Great shoe. Took me a couple of runs to appreciate them, but they're now a regular in my rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Sub430 wrote: »
    New Balance Beacon
    6mm drop
    213g
    Faultless.

Great find. Cheers. I love these. Ordered a new pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I've worn Brooks Dyads and Brooks Glycerin in the past (the glycerin for my 1st marathon), very reliable sturdy shoes for marathon training. Currently i'm wearing and loving Mizuno Wave Rider (think mine are 21) i trained for and ran my 2nd marathon in these so they should probably be put to rest by now. I've recently added Brooks Ghost 11 to the collection but i'm not happy with them yet, i keep getting a blister on one foot :( I was between them and Nike Pegasus so i'm regretting that decision now. In between i've also worn a through a few pairs of Addidas Supernova/Solar Boost which i really enjoyed wearing too.

I'd recommend the Mizuno wave rider for the wider foot - definitely a bit more roomy the other neutral runners i've worn and a bit less clunky that the glycerin that you're used to but still a cushioned neutral shoe ideal for marathon training.

Quick question for Flyknit wearers - do you wear socks with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

ariana` wrote: »

I do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just got a pair of mizuno waverider 15,a mighty shoe altogether, very solid feel and very comfy

ariana` wrote:

Yep I do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Rega wrote: »
    I do
    Yep I do

Thanks folks, that's reassuring to know! What i've read made me think you weren't supposed to but i was struggling to get my head around going sockless :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The Zoom Fly Flyknit...it's a giveaway for 64 euro on nike.ie. It is a cheapie version of the Vapourfly. It has the carbon plate but uses react foam rather than the newer foam that makes the Vapourfly sole.

Came home from holidays and the Zoom Fly Flyknit were waiting for me, Agree it is a bargain at €64, Blue colour is not the best but feet will be going too fast to see them. Now i need to decide what shoes to train in as i have turbos and vomero's, But i am tempted to go back to pegasus and i cannot fault them as a training shoe and i also trained and raced last years DCM in them.

Any opinions on the adizero RC shoe?

Just took delivery of the Vaporfly Next% and the Carbon X.

The Carbon X didn't feel any different to a normal shoe and I wasn't impressed by them at all. They are already on the way back to Hoka!

The Next% are unbelievable. I always found the 4% too narrow for me so never bought a pair, but the Next% are much wider and suit me better.
    The cushion is so soft, and the carbon plate really pushes you forward, it's a strange sensation when you put them on first.

Now just trying to decide if they are worth €275 as apparently they only last for 4 marathons :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

boydkev wrote: »
    Came home from holidays and the Zoom Fly Flyknit were waiting for me, Agree it is a bargain at €64, Blue colour is not the best but feet will be going too fast to see them.

Gutted, the Zoom flys that were delivered were half a size too big, My own fault as i ordered too quickly. Had to return them and they dont have my size any more.

Now im tempted to get the Zoom fly 3 as i have a birthday discount for July which brings the price down to €120. Has anybody tried them yet? compared to the likes of the turbo, Peg35, Vomeros.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Anyone have any views/experiences of Asics Tartherzeals?

Home from first long run with the new pair of Glycerin 17s.

Like being on a cloud. Great fit, lot of support and what felt like a nice cushion on to each step.

Would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Reebok Run Fast, 2nd pair

486541.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I have two pairs of good running shoes that don’t seem to suit me, I got the pegasus when I didn’t realize I needed support and I need more cushioning than the bedlam offer, I was going to give them to charity but they’d end up being sold for a fiver and worn on the street, they’re free to a good home, neither have much more than a hundred kilometers on them, the pegs look a bit dirty but that’s no issue, the pegs cost 135 and the bedlam 180, ill even post them, costs less than a tenner each I presume?
    Anyway let me know if anybody wants them, I’ll give them to charity if nobody is interested, they’re only taking up space, hope the picture works

Edit: they’re size 10 and a half

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Reebok Run Fast, 2nd pair

486541.jpg

Nice, what laces are those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭deisedude

Looking for a recommendation for a decent pair of racers. Willing to pay up to €150

Advertisement