Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Got a pair of Nike Zoom Fly for 90€ hope to use them for faster sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

62511499_10217514316284119_4346624564181073920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQk3H87EeBEyxvHK6JsKQv99fAJF0HGDRhi9wEElF6t9S5dSowDhOr6WJAERLqvG6iWw3nHE2ZbXC243dmz1Z5Pa&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=c7af141e888290b7dd24959d88681f72&oe=5D83723A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sweet. Just got a pair recently as a gift. They'll take a bit of breaking in for me. Burny feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Excuse my ignorance, Im not very knowledgeable about different types of running shoes.
    Why would you need paricular running shoes just for fast sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

coogy wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance, Im not very knowledgeable about different types of running shoes. Why would you need paricular running shoes just for fast sessions?

Lighter and faster. A lot of lads would wear racing runners for sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Lighter and faster. A lot of lads would wear racing runners for sessions.

Bamboozled. Utterly bamboozled.......

coogy wrote: »
    Bamboozled. Utterly bamboozled.......
    My wife has the very same reaction :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

First run on the Boston 7s was very good. I sized a half size up as I have wide feet and though I was worried at first looking at them out of the box (pretty but narrow) I loosened the laces and had a good run.

Prompted me to look at my other shoes.

2x pairs of New Balance 880v7 2E and at 560m and 580m respectively have both been retired.

New Balance 880v8 2E has been a good work horse for all types of runs but at 418m the last tempo I did was probably the last one. Easy runs only now.

Then I took a punt on Nike Zoom Pegasus 35. Nice shoe that I got a total of 22 runs from! 280m total but 12.7m average per run and all of those were tempo or speed plus I did a marathon on them. Overall despite the work, I found them too narrow and they wore away and compressed quickly. The foam looks like it needs an iron and the outer heel has no rubber (I under pronate/supinate so I fall back on my heel as soon as I get tired and lose form).

I was tempted to size up and try the Pegagus 35 or 36 again but lost toe nails and regular blisters confirms this great shoe is just not for me sadly.

So, New Balance 1500v5 on the way for speed and Adidas Solar Glide on route for easy miles. I'll use the Boston 7s for Tempo and LRs. I thought about the NB 880s again but the Boston 7s just showed me how heavy they are (particularly the 2E version)

QQ even with a 3 shoe rotation all 3 shoes will be pushing 300m+ by the time I taper for DCM. What is the latest you would rotate in a new pair of shoes prior to a marathon?

. What is the latest you would rotate in a new pair of shoes prior to a marathon?
    I'd like to have 100 miles on them I'd say 50 would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

First run on the Boston 7s was very good. I sized a half size up as I have wide feet and though I was worried at first looking at them out of the box (pretty but narrow) I loosened the laces and had a good run.

Prompted me to look at my other shoes.

2x pairs of New Balance 880v7 2E and at 560m and 580m respectively have both been retired.

New Balance 880v8 2E has been a good work horse for all types of runs but at 418m the last tempo I did was probably the last one. Easy runs only now.

Then I took a punt on Nike Zoom Pegasus 35. Nice shoe that I got a total of 22 runs from! 280m total but 12.7m average per run and all of those were tempo or speed plus I did a marathon on them. Overall despite the work, I found them too narrow and they wore away and compressed quickly. The foam looks like it needs an iron and the outer heel has no rubber (I under pronate/supinate so I fall back on my heel as soon as I get tired and lose form).

I was tempted to size up and try the Pegagus 35 or 36 again but lost toe nails and regular blisters confirms this great shoe is just not for me sadly.

So, New Balance 1500v5 on the way for speed and Adidas Solar Glide on route for easy miles. I'll use the Boston 7s for Tempo and LRs. I thought about the NB 880s again but the Boston 7s just showed me how heavy they are (particularly the 2E version)

QQ even with a 3 shoe rotation all 3 shoes will be pushing 300m+ by the time I taper for DCM. What is the latest you would rotate in a new pair of shoes prior to a marathon?

You're planning to run DCM in the Boston 7's or the NB 1500?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

healy1835 wrote: »
    You're planning to run DCM in the Boston 7's or the NB 1500?

Both new to me so TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Looking at some Saucony's at the moment and there is a good deal available on a pair I want, problem is they are only available in size 11, whereas normally I'm a 10.5. Wondering if half a size up would be negligible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

What is the latest you would rotate in a new pair of shoes prior to a marathon?[/quote]

I got a pair of nb 1500 a fortnight before the Frankfurt marathon 5 years ago and used them in the race! I loved them. From the first run in them they just suited me perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Vaporfly Next % on sale......€275 :o

€275 for the new Nike next%....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Devoted Saucony Freedom ISO user since they came out a while back. I just retired my second pair. Did 1,000km on the first pair and 1,100 on the second. I only bought the second pair because they were on sale and because I kept thinking "this is crazy, these shoes aren't really wearing out; they MUST be wearing out." I love these shoes. My third pair are now the Freedom ISO 2 and I'm pleased that they did't mess them up. Except they changed the sizing (grr): I wore 9.5UK in the ISO and now wear a 9 in the ISO2.

I wear full-length orthotics so I never really understand what people are talking about "road feel." But I definitely know when the spring has gone out of the midsole of a shoe. These ones still have it, even in weather near freezing. Things that are great about these shoes:

1) Those Everun midsoles. Midsoles I find always lose their spring after 500k and my legs start feeling it requiring new shoes by 600k. Not on these: nearly twice the distance and midsoles are still springy.

2) The topsole. The heels of my orthotics always press into most kinds of topsoles which means that, as the shoe wears, the offset in height between heel and toe gets smaller by a millimeter or two. It's a small problem, but I'd rather not have things be so variable.

3) The outsole. I can't remember what they call it but that crystal stuff they're using on the outsole is the business. It is very hard-wearing but doesn't feel hard. And it's so simple in design: none of this overcomplicated nonsense, just one piece of rubber going the whole length of the shoe. After 1,000k the outer heels are worn down but I'm still not running on the midsole. Also, these outsoles don't pick up stones. Too little attention is paid to that problem, which I always had with previous Sauconys. Get a rock in your sole and you're either allowing your gait to possibly be messed with or you've got to stop and pick it out.

4) The heel. When I first saw them I thought the lack of heel support was going to be a problem. But now that I've run on them, I realise that I don't need no (steenking) heel support. I've got bone spurs (Haglund's deformity) on the back of both heels. Every other shoe I've owned has a heel counter and after about 400k, my heel spur has bored a nice round hole into the cushioning at the back of them. That's not a bad thing in itself. What is bad is the amount of friction that is causing that hole to be rubbed into the back of the shoe. With these shoes, the lack of a heel counter means that I don't have that friction on the spur and there's no hole.

5) The style. Most of the colorways for these shoes that you'll see are insane. There's the orange/yellow combo, the neon blue, the super bright magenta, the pink one, the white one with gold trim (Roger Federer special). But you can also get them in very sober colorways. My original ones are black. Just black. They hardly look like running shoes, let alone high-end running shoes. But that means that when I've retired them I can wear them around town without feeling like I've got disco balls on my feet. My second pair was in a sober grey colorway and it is also suitable for streetwear once the shoe no longer works for running. Now I've got a pair in olive green.

6) They are lighter than the average shoe.

I guess Saucony are now using 100% Everun midsoles on many if not all of their shoes. So that's no longer the USP it once was with these shoes. I wouldn't mind a wider toe box, but I've gotten used to it. Have not felt compelled even to think about changing shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Extra 20% off at nike.ie with the code JULY20. I just picked up another pair of Zoom Fly Flyknits for €64 delivered. Absolute bargain for an amazing shoe. That's DCM sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Extra 20% off at nike.ie with the code JULY20. I just picked up another pair of Zoom Fly Flyknits for €64 delivered. Absolute bargain for an amazing shoe. That's DCM sorted.

I am very tempted to get then aswell but cant make up my mind, Currently run in Vameros and Peg Turbos.
    Was also thinking of them for DCM, Just not sure as i have never worn them or even tried them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Thank you - Been looking at them for a while now and was waiting to see if dropped in price! Just bought a pair! Thanks for posting! Delighted now, a steak at €64.

I have been running in On Running clouds for 2 years. Did first marathon in Cork this year and found the shoes were lacking a bit on the long long runs and on race day.

The Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit seem to be a shoe built for longer runs/races etc. Hopefully!

They are pretty amazing for a marathon, in my opinion anyway. There's a kind of bounce/spring that seems to carry you along. Hope you like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

Anyone recommend runners to put orthotics in, was recommended the mizuno ultima 8 years ago when I got them from wellshod but things have moved on in the shoe world since then. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

jfh wrote: »
    Anyone recommend runners to put orthotics in, was recommended the mizuno ultima 8 years ago when I got them from wellshod but things have moved on in the shoe world since then. Thanks

A lot depends on your orthotics. If the orthotics themselves have an offset (heel raised relative to toes), you'll probably want shoes with little or no offset.

You definitely want neutral shoes, since the orthotics are already correcting your gait problems (I assume).

If the orthotics are not flat on the bottom (for example: if they have a heel that sticks out from the main bed of the orthotic), you'll find that many cardboard topsoles will become indented or even be broken by the orthotic. So you want some sort of resilient topsole in that case.

I have full-length orthotics that have a separate heel piece and are hard up to the metatarsal heads and that have an offset. I run in Saucony Freedom ISO 2s (review a few posts above this). They have a 4mm offset, which is fine with my orthotics and the topsole is made of their Everun (TPU) foam and never gets indented by the orthotics.

But people wear orthotics for lots of different conditions so it would probably be best to get a recommendation from the physio or consultant who prescribed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

A lot depends on your orthotics. If the orthotics themselves have an offset (heel raised relative to toes), you'll probably want shoes with little or no offset.

You definitely want neutral shoes, since the orthotics are already correcting your gait problems (I assume).

If the orthotics are not flat on the bottom (for example: if they have a heel that sticks out from the main bed of the orthotic), you'll find that many cardboard topsoles will become indented or even be broken by the orthotic. So you want some sort of resilient topsole in that case.

I have full-length orthotics that have a separate heel piece and are hard up to the metatarsal heads and that have an offset. I run in Saucony Freedom ISO 2s (review a few posts above this). They have a 4mm offset, which is fine with my orthotics and the topsole is made of their Everun (TPU) foam and never gets indented by the orthotics.

But people wear orthotics for lots of different conditions so it would probably be best to get a recommendation from the physio or consultant who prescribed them.

Appreciate the thourough response, it's not a case of simply buying a neutral shoe with roomy toe box. I'll run it by the guy who prescribed them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Has anyone worn the Skechers Forza 3? Thinking of giving them a try....because they're on sale for €62 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

What's the sizing like for Nike? I wear 8.5 in Brooks Launch 5 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Rojo wrote: »

I wear a size EUR47/UK11.5 in On Running shoes - I bought 2 pairs on Nike last week - 11 and 11.5 - will return the ones that don't fit!

I did read that they run through to size though - but then the problem is how do the shoes you currently wear run to size? I usually wear a 12 in normal shoes, so I reckon 11.5 Nikes will be the best fit.

No idea if that actually answered the question tho :rolleyes: This will be my first Nike running shoes in about 15 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Purchased the Nike Epic React Flyknit 2 for €60, very happy with that!

Rojo wrote: »

I'm a size 10 and my Pegasus and flyknits are both size 10.
    I'd say go with 8.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'm a size 10 and my Pegasus and flyknits are both size 10.
    I'd say go with 8.5.

Is there much difference between the Pegasus and Flyknits?

On my first pair of Pegasus which I like and have a pair in waiting for the DCM.

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is there much difference between the Pegasus and Flyknits?

On my first pair of Pegasus which I like and have a pair in waiting for the DCM.

I wore Pegasus 34 and 35 for marathons last year and the flyknits for 2 marathons this year. Both great shoes, but I find (for me) the flyknits are better for that distance. They're softer than the Pegasus, but give more bounce so I felt I had more energy in the latter stages.

Advertisement