Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    Picked up another pair of Lidl's €20 runners this morning, last pair I bought are over 1.5k km at this stage and still holding together ok albeit with some wear & tear on the sole. As always they have exactly one pair in the shop in the size I take so have to be in there early!

Just for a bit of an experiment I ran a 74k trail ultra with the Lidl runners last weekend, seemed fine although if (when!) I do it again might try one of the extreme cushioned shoes (Hooka?) as lots of the route was on rocky trails or through forests with loads of tree roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

The Lidl crivit runners are an absolute steal it needs to be said. I'm alternating them with a set of the Brooks launch series and definitely prefer the fit of the Lidl ones. Insoles are a bit grim, but easily remedied with the ones that lidl tend to sell at the same time for under a fiver. I pick up a pair every year for general wear. Last years effort had the added bonus of not looking as fugly as they did in years previous too.

When you consider the price of most running shoes, having a good set for 20 quid is an absolute no brainer - even if only to make your "good" shoes last that bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Tried on a pair of Nike Pegasus 36's today. They look very similar to the 35's but seem less narrow, more spacious in the toe box and probably will be a size 8.5 UK for me ( I was a UK 9 in the 35 and 34's).

I will probably purchase at a later date as I have few of the 35's on the go at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Tried on a pair of Nike Pegasus 36's today. They look very similar to the 35's but seem less narrow, more spacious in the toe box and probably will be a size 8.5 UK for me ( I was a UK 9 in the 35 and 34's).

I will probably purchase at a later date as I have few of the 35's on the go at the minute.

I've gone through a couple of pairs of 35's and really like them, but since I got a pair of Epic Reacts I haven't done a whole lot of running in the Pegasus apart from when it's wet out as the Epics aren't great in slippery conditions. Ever tried the Epics?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

healy1835 wrote: »
    I've gone through a couple of pairs of 35's and really like them, but since I got a pair of Epic Reacts I haven't done a whole lot of running in the Pegasus apart from when it's wet out as the Epics aren't great in slippery conditions. Ever tried the Epics?

I haven't tried the epics as of yet. I have been pretty loyal to the Pegasus over the years. I find them pretty versatile for most runs (tempo, MP, easy, recovery). Adidas bostons are my go to for sessions and races. Are the epics as versatile?

• Advertisement

I haven't tried the epics as of yet. I have been pretty loyal to the Pegasus over the years. I find them pretty versatile for most runs (tempo, MP, easy, recovery). Adidas bostons are my go to for sessions and races. Are the epics as versatile?

Yeah apart from wet conditions they're pretty versatile. That react foam is the business :) you'd pick up a pair of the first version for about 80 quid if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Has anyone on here ever tried the saucony liberty iso shoes? They're supposed to be in the same kind of lightweight support category as the Adidas tempo and new balance 1500. They're on sportsshoes.com for 57 euro at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can anyone recommend the Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo?

I've been upping my running done a few 10kms and 5kms races and want to keep going, my old Nikes are well outdated and worn by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Loughc wrote:

I ran DCM in them last year, I love them, the only problem for some would be they are very narrow fitting and the stripe going down the front can irritate the toes, but it didn't bother me. I'd say go and try them on and see what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Loughc wrote: »

I've been upping my running done a few 10kms and 5kms races and want to keep going, my old Nikes are well outdated and worn by now.
    I've just done 400 miles in them and still as comfy when I first bought them. Will be buying another pair shortly. I've heard people mention the stripe irritating but I've never felt it. Lifestyle sell them if you want to try them on and you can pick up a cheap enough pair online if your lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I treated myself to a new pair of racing shoes and decided to go with the well rated Reebok Floatride Run Fast as i could not justify the Vaporfly 4% Price.
    First impression is they are light and comfortable, I wore them this morning on a 7 mile run with 2 fast miles(6.30min/m) and i have to say they are fantastic. Just enough cushioning and responsive, I did feel the spring from toe off.
    I think they will work well for me from 5k to HM but not sure if they will work for DCM, Will have a better idea after the cork half this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Whats the difference between pegasus and pegasus turbo, I have the pegasus 35 myself and think they are great tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

boydkev wrote: »
    I treated myself to a new pair of racing shoes and decided to go with the well rated Reebok Floatride Run Fast as i could not justify the Vaporfly 4% Price.
    First impression is they are light and comfortable, I wore them this morning on a 7 mile run with 2 fast miles(6.30min/m) and i have to say they are fantastic. Just enough cushioning and responsive, I did feel the spring from toe off.
    I think they will work well for me from 5k to HM but not sure if they will work for DCM, Will have a better idea after the cork half this weekend.

This is a cracking shoe, I've 250+ miles on a pair, beginning to show some signs of wear. The midsole comes over the rubber (which is fantastically grippy), so it's beginning to flake in some areas and the material at the center of the heel tab has begun to fray. But I'll get at least another 250 from them.

I've ran 16 on the road and 26.2 on the treadie, so they are great for longer stuff.

I did however swap out the insoles and laces as I felt I wasn't fully secure in them, particularly if cornering fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey people

Sooo many shoes out there. My stable all rounder are NB 880s.

I have 250m on Nike Pegasus 35. Such a nice shoe but just don't suit my feet. Got me a marathon PB so can't complain too much.

Time to rotate in some new shoes. I'm looking at Adidas Boston 7s if anyone wears them, thoughts?

Hey people

I have 250m on Nike Pegasus 35. Such a nice shoe but just don't suit my feet. Got me a marathon PB so can't complain too much.

Time to rotate in some new shoes. I'm looking at Adidas Boston 7s if anyone wears them, thoughts?

As I was saying to MacPhisto, definitely worth considering the Epic Reacts. Nicest regular mileage shoe I've ran in by a distance. Not great in wet conditions but the feel is something else. Light too. I've 700k in my first pair and they're going strong.

Hey people

Boston is up there with all-rounder of the decade and durable.
    I've had 3 pairs and about 2k miles, keeping my eye out for another pair.

They are typical Adios fit, so a little narrow, but might be ok coming from the Peg. The 7 is a little more generous than the 5 and 6, I had to half a size up on those, and I have narrow feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    This is a cracking shoe, I've 250+ miles on a pair, beginning to show some signs of wear. The midsole comes over the rubber (which is fantastically grippy), so it's beginning to flake in some areas and the material at the center of the heel tab has begun to fray. But I'll get at least another 250 from them.

I've ran 16 on the road and 26.2 on the treadie, so they are great for longer stuff.

I did however swap out the insoles and laces as I felt I wasn't fully secure in them, particularly if cornering fast.

Any idea where to get them?
    Have you ever tried sketchers?

I got my Floatride Run Fast from Reebok.ie and got 30% off as they had a promotion on last week so paid €97 for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Was listening to the Science of Sport podcast while out for a run this evening, thought this episode might be of interest.

Running Shoe Technology: Good Science or Good Marketing?
    World-renowned sport scientist Professor Ross Tucker and veteran sports journalist Mike Finch explore the science behind running shoe technology. Explore whether or not cushioning and pronation-control really work, find out if expensive shoes are really any better than cheaper options and the best running shoe options to buy next time you're at the local shoe store

I bought on Reebok.ie during a sale also.

I have the Razor 3, my new fav shoe, one of the few I would pay full price for again. Impossible to get in Europe though.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I bought on Reebok.ie during a sale also.

I have the Razor 3, my new fav shoe, one of the few I would pay full price for again. Impossible to get in Europe though.

Just bought the Floatride run fast on reebok. Got 15% off.

Hopefully a good buy

Just bought the Floatride run fast on reebok. Got 15% off.

Hopefully a good buy
    I am curious to hear what you think of them,

I wore them of the cork Half and i cannot fault them. Very happy with my purchase.

I had a hot spot on the right foot during the half but turned out to be a crease in my sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Anyone try out the Pegasus 36 yet? The 35 is my favourite easy running shoe by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Anyone try out the Pegasus 36 yet? The 35 is my favourite easy running shoe by far.

If you are up in Dublin anytime soon the Nike outlet have the Vomero 14 for 94 euro at the moment. Apparently they are a step up from the Pegasus.

My new reebok floatride just arrived, will race in them for Docklands 5k

First run out last night in the Reebok Floatride Run Fast. Very impressed by them, nice cushion feel at the heel and yet they feel so lightweight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

opus wrote: »
    Was listening to the Science of Sport podcast while out for a run this evening, thought this episode might be of interest.

Running Shoe Technology: Good Science or Good Marketing?

It's a pretty good podcast. Enjoyed the Caster episodes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

50% sale on adidas.ie at the moment. Good value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shootnbreeze

wearing saucony pro glides. i have been wearing saucony since 2008 and did not feel i had to change to another brand as the price and fit suited me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Just upgraded my Brooks Ravenna 9 shoes to Ravenna 10 (long overdue!!). Much lighter on the feet and less of a support shoe than the 9's.

Advertisement