Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭corkie

Is 'Star Trek's Chief O'Brien "The Most Important Person in Starfleet History"? Colm Meaney Reacts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Chief Myles O' Brian Show would be brilliant.
    I think that could really work.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

I always get the impression from Colm Meaney interviews that he could have been in any kind of a show, it was just a job to him. He has no investment in the lore or anything outside his own bubble of playing O Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pah wrote: »
    I always get the impression from Colm Meaney interviews that he could have been in any kind of a show, it was just a job to him. He has no investment in the lore or anything outside his own bubble of playing O Brien.

Yeah think he was one of the highest paid actors because of that. He turned down directors roles for DS9 episodes. Always chose money instead

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Ms

Yeah think he was one of the highest paid actors because of that. He turned down directors roles for DS9 episodes. Always chose money instead

I suppose he did not want to end up like a bit character again like he was on TNG and maybe he knew nothing about directing or it just did not interest him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Directing on TV, at least back then, wasn't something you could really do wrong, the worst it could be is mediocre because of how much of a the process was already established. A lot of actors seemed to use it as a kind of learning experience. I think Garret Wang is the only Star Trek regular to be refused when they asked to direct an episode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When I saw one of the cast was directing and episode of (say) DS9 I always inwardly groaned. Tv in the 90s looked barely above a sitcom half the time anyway, but even by those standards the lack of experience and creativity kinda hurt those episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Lower Decks is a disappointment.

Not at all funny with far too many random references and names drops to the other series jammed in just to create “easter eggs”.

A pity because there is comedy gold to be had if the show was actually about the people in the lower decks who are outshined by the Kirks and mourn the fallen red shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Lower Decks is a disappointment.

Not at all funny with far too many random references and names drops to the other series jammed in just to create “easter eggs”.

A pity because there is comedy gold to be had if the show was actually about the people in the lower decks who are outshined by the Kirks and mourn the fallen red shirts.

Each to their own but I thought it was savage. Watched it twice and will watch again. Probably after I finish the current run of Enterprise as there's no way I'm going back to Discovery.

• Advertisement

Each to their own but I thought it was savage. Watched it twice and will watch again. Probably after I finish the current run of Enterprise as there's no way I'm going back to Discovery.

You will watch Enterprise but Discovery is bad?

We will never agree on anything :p

Enterprise is good. It's aged well barring decontamination scenes and forcing Blalock into a catsuit.

Discovery is bad. I had to bail once we got the Guardian episodes.

Ms

I too will agree that Enterprise has aged well and is much better and much more in keeping with Star Trek than Discovery.
    Lower Decks is excellent. It is the best of the three series released over the last 4 or 5 years.
    It respects the franchise we know and love unlike Discovery which pisses on it so FU Discovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Come on, Enterprise for all it's faults still feels like Trek. :) I won't dis on anyone who likes Discovery though, and I will of course watch it as new seasons appear but I wouldn't rewatch it.
    Anyway, Lower Decks kicks ass in my book. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought I hated Enterprise but after watching season 3 and 4, I've decided I like it. I think if it had a full 7 season run like the other Trek shows, I probably would have viewed it on a par with the other shows. The first two seasons of TNG and DS9 were very poor as well but they're overshadowed by the 5 seasons when they were excellent.

I thought Discovery would be one of the greats after a relatively strong first season compared to the other Trek shows but alas it burnt itself out within a few episodes.

Come on, Enterprise for all it's faults still feels like Trek. :) I won't dis on anyone who likes Discovery though, and I will of course watch it as new seasons appear but I wouldn't rewatch it.
    Anyway, Lower Decks kicks ass in my book. :D

To be honest all the series feel like Star Trek. Never had a “this in not Star Trek” moment watching any of them.

And I like Enterprise (though not how it ended and the temporal war plot was a terrible decision from the start) but it isn’t as good as Discovery - which has done a much better job of being a prequel. The people on Enterprise didn’t even try.

I am very surprised at so many here liking Lower Decks as I don’t understand what there is to love or how it it better than Discovery or Picard but like you say to each their own - I was simply posting here to let out my own disappointment.

I see no reason for releasing the drama llama from his enclosure ;)

• Advertisement

Many Coto decided what he wanted Enterprise to be: The Birth of the Federation.
    He closed off the temporal cold war with the excellent Season 3 Delphic Expanse arc and immediately pivoted to the antagonists who should have always been, in the Romulans.

Saying that, the first two episodes of season 4 were a massive own goal.

I think the visual progression from ENT to TOS is better than STD to TOS. STD has a bunch of things that just don't really fit into that era. Until they introduced the Enterprise and did a really good job of updating it while keeping the overall aesthetic. Which begs the question why they couldn't have done that from the beginning.

Many Coto decided what he wanted Enterprise to be: The Birth of the Federation.
    He closed off the temporal cold war with the excellent Season 3 Delphic Expanse arc and immediately pivoted to the antagonists who should have always been, in the Romulans.

Saying that, the first two episodes of season 4 were a massive own goal.

There was a huge improvement when Coto. My memory is fuzzy though as I thought he killed the temporal shenanigans to kick off the Expanse story.

And I don’t remember the Romulans being in Enterorise at all - there was several story arcs in the final season but I’m blank in that.

I wish Coto had got to finish his prior sci-fi series with Peter Weller. That was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,171 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And I don’t remember the Romulans being in Enterorise at all - there was several story arcs in the final season but I’m blank in that.

There were some good story arcs in the final season which pointed towards the birth of the federation with the Andorians and Tellarites in response to perceived Romulan power plays.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Evade wrote: »
    I think the visual progression from ENT to TOS is better than STD to TOS. STD has a bunch of things that just don't really fit into that era. Until they introduced the Enterprise and did a really good job of updating it while keeping the overall aesthetic. Which begs the question why they couldn't have done that from the beginning.

Story and technology wise Enterprise made a bags of being a prequel.

Discovery fits story wise but looks too far beyond even the 24th century shows.

I like the designs of Discovery but I agree that it would have been nice to see the technology and ships fit in with what we see in The Cage.

Maybe the producers thought that would put off new viewers.

The designs of the Star Wars Old Republic games are a big disappointments with designs too. Everything looks the same as the PT and OT.

I have seen some designs for the Game of Thrones prequel series and it suffers the same - costumes and weapons etc all look the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,292 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Game of Thrones may be okay though as both series are modern.

Star Trek was of its time and doing a prequel series to an old series is hard because how to make things look like they fit in with the timeline while also modernising them so they don't look tacky.

As for Enterprise, I watched it as it aired on BBC or wherever it was and wasn't great until the attack on Earth then it picked up.

So Lower Decks is back in August. Is there anything before that?

There was a huge improvement when Coto. My memory is fuzzy though as I thought he killed the temporal shenanigans to kick off the Expanse story.

I wish Coto had got to finish his prior sci-fi series with Peter Weller. That was great.

Season 3 was wholly temporal cold war but shunted that part to the rear (sphere builders were a faction)

Season4:
    Romulans were using a holoship to stir up tensions between Andor and Tellar.

T'Vas (?), the Vulcan leader, was a Romulan puppet trying to incite an invasion of Andor.

Earth kept getting in their way but Valdore's (Romulan admiral) actions started driving the Federation founders closer together, with Earth again driving it.

It all was leading to the Romulans seeing Earth as a linchpin and starting the Earth/Romulan war

CastorTroy wrote: »

Star Trek was of its time and doing a prequel series to an old series is hard because how to make things look like they fit in with the timeline while also modernising them so they don't look tacky.

As for Enterprise, I watched it as it aired on BBC or wherever it was and wasn't great until the attack on Earth then it picked up.

I was mixed up with the Thrones prequels - the one that didn’t go to series was 10,000 years prior, the green lit is 300 years. I thought it was the other way around So I don’t know which is the concept art I’ve seen.

Ms

Story and technology wise Enterprise made a bags of being a prequel.

Discovery fits story wise but looks too far beyond even the 24th century shows.

I like the designs of Discovery but I agree that it would have been nice to see the technology and ships fit in with what we see in The Cage.

Maybe the producers thought that would put off new viewers.
    [ /QUOTE]

Username;117145420]Story and technology wise Enterprise made a bags of being a prequel.

I disagree. I think they done a great job technology wise. We had an Enterprise with no shields, no tractor beam, transporters that had only just been approved for bio matter. The phasers were older and so were the tricorders. The ship could only do warp 5 and had a horizontal warp core not a vertical one. The ship inside was not as spacious as later Star Trek ships it was more like a 20th century submarine. There was no replocatirs on it. I thought they done a great job on the technology side for Enterprise.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Maybe it's because I haven't really watched Discovery but I'm kinda psyched to see Strange New Worlds, although obviously it'll be a while yet.

The idea of a new series set in the TOS-era (well very close to it) has me hoping against hope that it might be fun.

JayRoc wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I haven't really watched Discovery but I'm kinda psyched to see Strange New Worlds, although obviously it'll be a while yet.

The idea of a new series set in the TOS-era (well very close to it) has me hoping against hope that it might be fun.

After DSC season 3 my expectations are through the floor

JayRoc wrote: »

I’m psyched for Strange New Worlds BECAUSE I watched Discovery. :p

Anson Mount said it is going to a traditional planet/adventure of the week show and not serialised lien the others.

It is indeed going to be a while but I am still happy because it really is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ahh yes Odyssey 5. That definitely should have ran longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

AMKC wrote: »

I disagree. I think they done a great job technology wise. We had an Enterprise with no shields, no tractor beam, transporters that had only just been approved for bio matter. The phasers were older and so were the tricorders. The ship could only do warp 5 and had a horizontal warp core not a vertical one. The ship inside was not as spacious as later Star Trek ships it was more like a 20th century submarine. There was no replocatirs on it. I thought they done a great job on the technology side for Enterprise.

Spot on. What they didn't do though, is make sure everyone involved from the writers to the actors "got" trek. Same issue with Discovery and Nemesis.

When you hire somebody to be in a franchise that has spanned decades, it behooves everyone involved to know a little bit about it. There should be a crash course piece of media they hand to people so they can understand what type of show they are in.

I'm not saying an actor or director should have to deep dive into every role and watch 800 hours of footage or read 8 books.......but jesus read or watch the cliffnotes at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I actually quite liked the Grappler on the NX Enterprise. Nifty alternative to the tractor beam.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kirby wrote: »
    Spot on. What they didn't do though, is make sure everyone involved from the writers to the actors "got" trek. Same issue with Discovery and Nemesis.

When you hire somebody to be in a franchise that has spanned decades, it behooves everyone involved to know a little bit about it. There should be a crash course piece of media they hand to people so they can understand what type of show they are in.

I'm not saying an actor or director should have to deep dive into every role and watch 800 hours of footage or read 8 books.......but jesus read or watch the cliffnotes at least.

During the production of Discovery Season 2 I remember some mention of them hiring in a "canon guru" to help them with continuity and also sort of run courses on Trek-lore for the writers.

At first the information had me wondering if it was designed to simply placate long-term Trekkies as a sort of "See?! We *do* care!" kind of announcement. Later on, I was a little concerned that after 10-odd episodes into a flagship Trek show...they were only *now* thinking about getting to grips with established continuity. They could have certainly learned a thing or two from Lower Decks' production, which clearly had Trekkies on-board.

Rawr wrote: »
    During the production of Discovery Season 2 I remember some mention of them hiring in a "canon guru" to help them with continuity and also sort of run courses on Trek-lore for the writers.

At first the information had me wondering if it was designed to simply placate long-term Trekkies as a sort of "See?! We *do* care!" kind of announcement. Later on, I was a little concerned that after 10-odd episodes into a flagship Trek show...they were only *now* thinking about getting to grips with established continuity. They could have certainly learned a thing or two from Lower Decks' production, which clearly had Trekkies on-board.
    The least any of the writers could have done is read the MA article on whatever they're writing about. You know basic research but that seems to be beyond the ability of a lot of modern writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,292 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 2 premieres Thursday, Aug. 12 on Paramount+

https://tvline.com/2021/06/08/sex-life-trailer-netflix-sarah-shahi-video/

Ms

Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 2 premieres Thursday, Aug. 12 on Paramount+

https://tvline.com/2021/06/08/sex-life-trailer-netflix-sarah-shahi-video/

Lovely. Must try and rewatch all of season 1 again before that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

What class of ship would you have made the U.S.S. Cerritos? For me I would have made it a Challanger class ship this is the one with two nacelles but one is below the secondary hull and the other above it. Since this is not the case I hope we get to see some Challanger class ships in either the 2nd season or if not the 2nd season then the 3rd season.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What class of ship would you have made the U.S.S. Cerritos? For me I would have made it a Challanger class ship this is the one with two nacelles but one is below the secondary hull and the other above it. Since this is not the case I hope we get to see some Challanger class ships in either the 2nd season or if not the 2nd season then the 3rd season.

Hmm...hard to pick. The whole theme of Cerritos is that of a lower-tier "leftover" of a fleet design, forever relegated to unimportant work. Too easy to say "Oberth Class" here. I'd up the Challenger-class ante to a Freedom Class, which is just a Saucer glued onto a single nacelle.

hqdefault.jpg

Seems about right for the Cerritos :P

Always thought they needed 2 nacells to form the warp field

I'm pretty sure in both Voyager and Enterprise at some point they break a warp coil and are limited to low warp. Presumably a ship designed with only one nacelle would be able to operate fine like that. I'm surprise Starfleet don't mandate having three nacelles, back ups for the back ups is standard procedure.

Hmm...hard to pick. The whole theme of Cerritos is that of a lower-tier "leftover" of a fleet design, forever relegated to unimportant work. Too easy to say "Oberth Class" here. I'd up the Challenger-class ante to a Freedom Class, which is just a Saucer glued onto a single nacelle.

I think one of the just weld together whatever's lying around in the shipyard ships would have suited it like the Yeager type that's seen in a lot of mid to late DS9 establishing shots.

yeager_class_ortho___uss_yeager_by_unusualsuspex_d6tchq8-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MjUwMCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2UwZGM4ZWIwLTdlYjMtNDcxNi1iN2ExLTQzNjRhNDVhY2RjMFwvZDZ0Y2hxOC1iOTBhMGU0MC1hMGU2LTQ1OTUtYTRhMy0wYzNkMmU4MDZjNzQuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTQwMDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.lCAh6vm6U1k7c8PByYnxamVg3KgQUxm0ev-SHv5VwgM

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    I think one of the just weld together whatever's lying around in the shipyard ships would have suited it like the Yeager type that's seen in a lot of mid to late DS9 establishing shots.

yeager_class_ortho___uss_yeager_by_unusualsuspex_d6tchq8-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MjUwMCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2UwZGM4ZWIwLTdlYjMtNDcxNi1iN2ExLTQzNjRhNDVhY2RjMFwvZDZ0Y2hxOC1iOTBhMGU0MC1hMGU2LTQ1OTUtYTRhMy0wYzNkMmU4MDZjNzQuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTQwMDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.lCAh6vm6U1k7c8PByYnxamVg3KgQUxm0ev-SHv5VwgM

I wonder if that Yeager Class was due to Revell's Voyager model kit range. (Which I remember being a seperate license than AMT had with the rest of Star Trek.

1596899.jpg

I had Voyager from that range, the Kazon raider and Kazon torpedo-ship. The last ship in the range was the Maquis ship. None of them maintained a similar scale, so I can easily imagine a gigantic Maquis vessel that you could glue onto a Voyager saucer.

I wonder if that Yeager Class was due to Revell's Voyager model kit range. (Which I remember being a seperate license than AMT had with the rest of Star Trek.

1596899.jpg

I had Voyager from that range, the Kazon raider and Kazon torpedo-ship. The last ship in the range was the Maquis ship. None of them maintained a similar scale, so I can easily imagine a gigantic Maquis vessel that you could glue onto a Voyager saucer.

That's exactly where it came from. I'd imagine doing stuff like that now would be a licensing nightmare especially for kits from outside the franchise like all the star destroyer kits littered around various Star Trek series.

Ms

Yes that is how Gene Roddenberry intended it to be but then from I suppose late TNG, DS9 on that changed. The Freedom class was at the Battle of Wolf 359 as seen in the wreckage not that it would have been able to do much a bit like driving a 1 litre car with a ton of brickets on a trailer behind it. I doubt it would get very far.
    That is what was good about Star Trek it had rules it was just a pity they were never written down and set in stone. The writers would have had to be more creative then instead of just getting lazy with some stories and episodes. They have all since been broken.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

1596899.jpg

It's not a Voyager saucer. That would imply that that saucer came from a Voyager class ship. It did not. It came from an Intrepid class ship and so it's a saucer from an Intrepid class of ship that was never finished which to me if you have half a ship built does not make that much sense. Surely finishing that ship would have made more sense than sticking two totally different ships together and would also be a far superior ship than the kit bash too. I know the in canon reason was Starfleet need more ships quickly and just stuck anything together and the other real world reason was budget.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

the other real world reason was budget.
    If it was solely down to budget they would have used models they had already, I think they did it to flesh out the fleets even more so it didn't turn out like the end of Picard.

Time could have been an in universe factor in these types of ships, there are others like the Centaur and Curry types, where a capable ship now is better than a perfect ship later.

It happened in the real world too, the Imperial Japanese Navy tried to convert all sorts of ships in to aircraft carriers instead of waiting to build new ones which ranged from mixed to disastrous results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Each galaxy class style of nacelle has 2 lots of warp coils in it so a single one is in fact a pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Finally got around to sitting down and watching all of Lower Decks...

At the start of the season I thought it was mostly just fine, but damn by the end they had won me over completely. That Finale!!! Excellent stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jeffrey Combs is going to make a guest appearance as an evil computer in one of the episodes.

As if the show didn't already need more validation as the closest in spirit to Trek, one of its most cherished and liked jobbing guest actors will turn up.

Ms

That looks brilliant and even better than season 1. Can't wait. When does it drop. Also Duncan McKNeill as Tom Paris in it again kinda cool.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement