Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Options

Comments

You will watch Enterprise but Discovery is bad?

We will never agree on anything :p

Enterprise is good. It's aged well barring decontamination scenes and forcing Blalock into a catsuit.

Discovery is bad. I had to bail once we got the Guardian episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I too will agree that Enterprise has aged well and is much better and much more in keeping with Star Trek than Discovery.
    Lower Decks is excellent. It is the best of the three series released over the last 4 or 5 years.
    It respects the franchise we know and love unlike Discovery which pisses on it so FU Discovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

You will watch Enterprise but Discovery is bad?

We will never agree on anything :p

Come on, Enterprise for all it's faults still feels like Trek. :) I won't dis on anyone who likes Discovery though, and I will of course watch it as new seasons appear but I wouldn't rewatch it.
    Anyway, Lower Decks kicks ass in my book. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought I hated Enterprise but after watching season 3 and 4, I've decided I like it. I think if it had a full 7 season run like the other Trek shows, I probably would have viewed it on a par with the other shows. The first two seasons of TNG and DS9 were very poor as well but they're overshadowed by the 5 seasons when they were excellent.

I thought Discovery would be one of the greats after a relatively strong first season compared to the other Trek shows but alas it burnt itself out within a few episodes.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Come on, Enterprise for all it's faults still feels like Trek. :) I won't dis on anyone who likes Discovery though, and I will of course watch it as new seasons appear but I wouldn't rewatch it.
    Anyway, Lower Decks kicks ass in my book. :D

To be honest all the series feel like Star Trek. Never had a “this in not Star Trek” moment watching any of them.

And I like Enterprise (though not how it ended and the temporal war plot was a terrible decision from the start) but it isn’t as good as Discovery - which has done a much better job of being a prequel. The people on Enterprise didn’t even try.

I am very surprised at so many here liking Lower Decks as I don’t understand what there is to love or how it it better than Discovery or Picard but like you say to each their own - I was simply posting here to let out my own disappointment.

I see no reason for releasing the drama llama from his enclosure ;)

• Advertisement

Many Coto decided what he wanted Enterprise to be: The Birth of the Federation.
    He closed off the temporal cold war with the excellent Season 3 Delphic Expanse arc and immediately pivoted to the antagonists who should have always been, in the Romulans.

Saying that, the first two episodes of season 4 were a massive own goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

I think the visual progression from ENT to TOS is better than STD to TOS. STD has a bunch of things that just don't really fit into that era. Until they introduced the Enterprise and did a really good job of updating it while keeping the overall aesthetic. Which begs the question why they couldn't have done that from the beginning.

Many Coto decided what he wanted Enterprise to be: The Birth of the Federation.
    He closed off the temporal cold war with the excellent Season 3 Delphic Expanse arc and immediately pivoted to the antagonists who should have always been, in the Romulans.

Saying that, the first two episodes of season 4 were a massive own goal.

There was a huge improvement when Coto. My memory is fuzzy though as I thought he killed the temporal shenanigans to kick off the Expanse story.

And I don’t remember the Romulans being in Enterorise at all - there was several story arcs in the final season but I’m blank in that.

I wish Coto had got to finish his prior sci-fi series with Peter Weller. That was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And I don’t remember the Romulans being in Enterorise at all - there was several story arcs in the final season but I’m blank in that.

There were some good story arcs in the final season which pointed towards the birth of the federation with the Andorians and Tellarites in response to perceived Romulan power plays.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Evade wrote: »
    I think the visual progression from ENT to TOS is better than STD to TOS. STD has a bunch of things that just don't really fit into that era. Until they introduced the Enterprise and did a really good job of updating it while keeping the overall aesthetic. Which begs the question why they couldn't have done that from the beginning.

Story and technology wise Enterprise made a bags of being a prequel.

Discovery fits story wise but looks too far beyond even the 24th century shows.

I like the designs of Discovery but I agree that it would have been nice to see the technology and ships fit in with what we see in The Cage.

Maybe the producers thought that would put off new viewers.

The designs of the Star Wars Old Republic games are a big disappointments with designs too. Everything looks the same as the PT and OT.

I have seen some designs for the Game of Thrones prequel series and it suffers the same - costumes and weapons etc all look the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Game of Thrones may be okay though as both series are modern.

Star Trek was of its time and doing a prequel series to an old series is hard because how to make things look like they fit in with the timeline while also modernising them so they don't look tacky.

As for Enterprise, I watched it as it aired on BBC or wherever it was and wasn't great until the attack on Earth then it picked up.

So Lower Decks is back in August. Is there anything before that?

There was a huge improvement when Coto. My memory is fuzzy though as I thought he killed the temporal shenanigans to kick off the Expanse story.

I wish Coto had got to finish his prior sci-fi series with Peter Weller. That was great.

Season 3 was wholly temporal cold war but shunted that part to the rear (sphere builders were a faction)

Season4:
    Romulans were using a holoship to stir up tensions between Andor and Tellar.

T'Vas (?), the Vulcan leader, was a Romulan puppet trying to incite an invasion of Andor.

Earth kept getting in their way but Valdore's (Romulan admiral) actions started driving the Federation founders closer together, with Earth again driving it.

It all was leading to the Romulans seeing Earth as a linchpin and starting the Earth/Romulan war

CastorTroy wrote: »

Star Trek was of its time and doing a prequel series to an old series is hard because how to make things look like they fit in with the timeline while also modernising them so they don't look tacky.

As for Enterprise, I watched it as it aired on BBC or wherever it was and wasn't great until the attack on Earth then it picked up.

I was mixed up with the Thrones prequels - the one that didn’t go to series was 10,000 years prior, the green lit is 300 years. I thought it was the other way around So I don’t know which is the concept art I’ve seen.

Ms

Story and technology wise Enterprise made a bags of being a prequel.

Discovery fits story wise but looks too far beyond even the 24th century shows.

I like the designs of Discovery but I agree that it would have been nice to see the technology and ships fit in with what we see in The Cage.

Maybe the producers thought that would put off new viewers.
    [ /QUOTE]

Username;117145420]Story and technology wise Enterprise made a bags of being a prequel.

I disagree. I think they done a great job technology wise. We had an Enterprise with no shields, no tractor beam, transporters that had only just been approved for bio matter. The phasers were older and so were the tricorders. The ship could only do warp 5 and had a horizontal warp core not a vertical one. The ship inside was not as spacious as later Star Trek ships it was more like a 20th century submarine. There was no replocatirs on it. I thought they done a great job on the technology side for Enterprise.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Maybe it's because I haven't really watched Discovery but I'm kinda psyched to see Strange New Worlds, although obviously it'll be a while yet.

The idea of a new series set in the TOS-era (well very close to it) has me hoping against hope that it might be fun.

JayRoc wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I haven't really watched Discovery but I'm kinda psyched to see Strange New Worlds, although obviously it'll be a while yet.

The idea of a new series set in the TOS-era (well very close to it) has me hoping against hope that it might be fun.

After DSC season 3 my expectations are through the floor

JayRoc wrote: »

I’m psyched for Strange New Worlds BECAUSE I watched Discovery. :p

Anson Mount said it is going to a traditional planet/adventure of the week show and not serialised lien the others.

It is indeed going to be a while but I am still happy because it really is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ahh yes Odyssey 5. That definitely should have ran longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

AMKC wrote: »

I disagree. I think they done a great job technology wise. We had an Enterprise with no shields, no tractor beam, transporters that had only just been approved for bio matter. The phasers were older and so were the tricorders. The ship could only do warp 5 and had a horizontal warp core not a vertical one. The ship inside was not as spacious as later Star Trek ships it was more like a 20th century submarine. There was no replocatirs on it. I thought they done a great job on the technology side for Enterprise.

Spot on. What they didn't do though, is make sure everyone involved from the writers to the actors "got" trek. Same issue with Discovery and Nemesis.

When you hire somebody to be in a franchise that has spanned decades, it behooves everyone involved to know a little bit about it. There should be a crash course piece of media they hand to people so they can understand what type of show they are in.

I'm not saying an actor or director should have to deep dive into every role and watch 800 hours of footage or read 8 books.......but jesus read or watch the cliffnotes at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I actually quite liked the Grappler on the NX Enterprise. Nifty alternative to the tractor beam.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kirby wrote: »
    Spot on. What they didn't do though, is make sure everyone involved from the writers to the actors "got" trek. Same issue with Discovery and Nemesis.

When you hire somebody to be in a franchise that has spanned decades, it behooves everyone involved to know a little bit about it. There should be a crash course piece of media they hand to people so they can understand what type of show they are in.

I'm not saying an actor or director should have to deep dive into every role and watch 800 hours of footage or read 8 books.......but jesus read or watch the cliffnotes at least.

During the production of Discovery Season 2 I remember some mention of them hiring in a "canon guru" to help them with continuity and also sort of run courses on Trek-lore for the writers.

At first the information had me wondering if it was designed to simply placate long-term Trekkies as a sort of "See?! We *do* care!" kind of announcement. Later on, I was a little concerned that after 10-odd episodes into a flagship Trek show...they were only *now* thinking about getting to grips with established continuity. They could have certainly learned a thing or two from Lower Decks' production, which clearly had Trekkies on-board.

Rawr wrote: »
    During the production of Discovery Season 2 I remember some mention of them hiring in a "canon guru" to help them with continuity and also sort of run courses on Trek-lore for the writers.

At first the information had me wondering if it was designed to simply placate long-term Trekkies as a sort of "See?! We *do* care!" kind of announcement. Later on, I was a little concerned that after 10-odd episodes into a flagship Trek show...they were only *now* thinking about getting to grips with established continuity. They could have certainly learned a thing or two from Lower Decks' production, which clearly had Trekkies on-board.
    The least any of the writers could have done is read the MA article on whatever they're writing about. You know basic research but that seems to be beyond the ability of a lot of modern writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 2 premieres Thursday, Aug. 12 on Paramount+

https://tvline.com/2021/06/08/sex-life-trailer-netflix-sarah-shahi-video/

Ms

Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 2 premieres Thursday, Aug. 12 on Paramount+

https://tvline.com/2021/06/08/sex-life-trailer-netflix-sarah-shahi-video/

Lovely. Must try and rewatch all of season 1 again before that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

What class of ship would you have made the U.S.S. Cerritos? For me I would have made it a Challanger class ship this is the one with two nacelles but one is below the secondary hull and the other above it. Since this is not the case I hope we get to see some Challanger class ships in either the 2nd season or if not the 2nd season then the 3rd season.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    What class of ship would you have made the U.S.S. Cerritos? For me I would have made it a Challanger class ship this is the one with two nacelles but one is below the secondary hull and the other above it. Since this is not the case I hope we get to see some Challanger class ships in either the 2nd season or if not the 2nd season then the 3rd season.

Hmm...hard to pick. The whole theme of Cerritos is that of a lower-tier "leftover" of a fleet design, forever relegated to unimportant work. Too easy to say "Oberth Class" here. I'd up the Challenger-class ante to a Freedom Class, which is just a Saucer glued onto a single nacelle.

hqdefault.jpg

Seems about right for the Cerritos :P

Always thought they needed 2 nacells to form the warp field

Always thought they needed 2 nacells to form the warp field
    I'm pretty sure in both Voyager and Enterprise at some point they break a warp coil and are limited to low warp. Presumably a ship designed with only one nacelle would be able to operate fine like that. I'm surprise Starfleet don't mandate having three nacelles, back ups for the back ups is standard procedure.

Rawr wrote: »
    Hmm...hard to pick. The whole theme of Cerritos is that of a lower-tier "leftover" of a fleet design, forever relegated to unimportant work. Too easy to say "Oberth Class" here. I'd up the Challenger-class ante to a Freedom Class, which is just a Saucer glued onto a single nacelle.

I think one of the just weld together whatever's lying around in the shipyard ships would have suited it like the Yeager type that's seen in a lot of mid to late DS9 establishing shots.

yeager_class_ortho___uss_yeager_by_unusualsuspex_d6tchq8-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MjUwMCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2UwZGM4ZWIwLTdlYjMtNDcxNi1iN2ExLTQzNjRhNDVhY2RjMFwvZDZ0Y2hxOC1iOTBhMGU0MC1hMGU2LTQ1OTUtYTRhMy0wYzNkMmU4MDZjNzQuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTQwMDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.lCAh6vm6U1k7c8PByYnxamVg3KgQUxm0ev-SHv5VwgM

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    I think one of the just weld together whatever's lying around in the shipyard ships would have suited it like the Yeager type that's seen in a lot of mid to late DS9 establishing shots.

yeager_class_ortho___uss_yeager_by_unusualsuspex_d6tchq8-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MjUwMCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2UwZGM4ZWIwLTdlYjMtNDcxNi1iN2ExLTQzNjRhNDVhY2RjMFwvZDZ0Y2hxOC1iOTBhMGU0MC1hMGU2LTQ1OTUtYTRhMy0wYzNkMmU4MDZjNzQuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTQwMDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.lCAh6vm6U1k7c8PByYnxamVg3KgQUxm0ev-SHv5VwgM

I wonder if that Yeager Class was due to Revell's Voyager model kit range. (Which I remember being a seperate license than AMT had with the rest of Star Trek.

1596899.jpg

I had Voyager from that range, the Kazon raider and Kazon torpedo-ship. The last ship in the range was the Maquis ship. None of them maintained a similar scale, so I can easily imagine a gigantic Maquis vessel that you could glue onto a Voyager saucer.

Advertisement