Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air pod noise cancelling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cheers! They do! Price tag is 310 quid!? That's a fair bit over the odds, isn't it?
    I paid €279 for them, which is the RRP I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I paid €279 for them, which is the RRP I believe.

That's the price I was expecting, but they're listed as 310 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Argos generally mark-up prices on Apple devices and accessories. Some of the Apple stuff they sell are the RRP but most of it I’ve found to be a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Yeah I think Argos buy up huge stock and charge a bit more

Scoundrals! I'll be up in Dundrum over the weekend and chance my arm in CompuB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Picked up a set yesterday> I came from a set of 1st generation Airpods and to be honest, I am a little underwhelmed by the pros. Im having an issue now where the "test fit" in the bluetooth settings wont work with any of the buds and not sure what to do. I also think the sound quality isnt as good as my 1st gen. I definitely dont consider myself an audiophile, and maybe im just too used to it but to me it sounds like the old airpods had more bass.

I bought the airpods secondhand so sadly cant return them so I guess I will give them a week and if I still dont like them, Ill probably sell them and buy a set of standard airpods

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Picked up a set yesterday> I came from a set of 1st generation Airpods and to be honest, I am a little underwhelmed by the pros. Im having an issue now where the "test fit" in the bluetooth settings wont work with any of the buds and not sure what to do. I also think the sound quality isnt as good as my 1st gen. I definitely dont consider myself an audiophile, and maybe im just too used to it but to me it sounds like the old airpods had more bass.

I bought the airpods secondhand so sadly cant return them so I guess I will give them a week and if I still dont like them, Ill probably sell them and buy a set of standard airpods

Move the buds a little bit but it terms of sound they should be a lot better than the original air pods ( from my own experience)

peteeeed wrote: »
    Move the buds a little bit but it terms of sound they should be a lot better than the original air pods ( from my own experience)

Yeah iv tried different positions for the buds but doesnt seem to do anything. Silly questions but would Compub be able to help with it?

Yeah iv tried different positions for the buds but doesnt seem to do anything. Silly questions but would Compub be able to help with it?

They have their version of the "Genius Bar" there, they may have some suggestion.. not sure what else could be done if they're fitting right with any of three tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

These things are the biggest rip off I can think of in recent years. Its genuinely sad.

Why are people willing to pay silly money for products that cost a few quid to make? Is it just because they're Apple?

Utter madness.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    These things are the biggest rip off I can think of in recent years. Its genuinely sad.

Why are people willing to pay silly money for products that cost a few quid to make? Is it just because they're Apple?

Utter madness.

Great contribution to the thread. Anything else enlightening you'd like to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Great contribution to the thread. Anything else enlightening you'd like to add?

Sorry no. I'm too busy shopping for Kabbalah bracelets and Yeezy socks at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Utter madness.

You can say that about anything Apple to be fair.

Sent from my iPhone 11

Sorry no. I'm too busy shopping for Kabbalah bracelets and Yeezy socks at the moment.

What?

Utter madness.

Same could said for literally every electronics device on the market. Admittedly, the mark up on these more than most.. but Apple stuff has always been expensive..

You can say that about anything Apple to be fair.

Sent from my iPhone 11

Including the iPhone 11

peteeeed wrote: »
    Including the iPhone 11

Whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Utter madness.

Have you got an email where we can all contact you and find out if the stuff we buy is value for money before we buy?

Why are people willing to pay silly money for: a car, a house, a holiday, a fancy meal, a night out etc.

This stuff is all relative, what’s silly to you might not be silly to us. Maybe we think going to gigs and spending money on pints are a waste of money, especially since you can easily spend €50-€100 on a night out. Instead of spending the money on two nights out you can put that towards a set of AirPods. You’ll get years of use out of those instead of paying silly money for a hangover the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Utter madness.

The estimate production cost for the original AirPods is 59-69 USD. There is quite a bit more into the Pros so it is safe to say they cost at the *very least* 80 USD to produce (probably closer to 100). That is of course without VAT and not including R&D, product promotion, distribution channels, and the cost of serving warranties.

So Apple surely gets a good margin, but absolutely nowhere near what you believe to be the case.

And to answer your question: people are buying them because no other company has been able to produce a pair of truly wireless earbuds which are that seamless to use, that reliable, that light and small, that comfortable, have comparable battery life in that form factor, and have decent ANC and sound quality. Any competing product will require to compromise on at least one of these criteria, and while there are decent competitors which might lose out on some aspects and be better on others, their price is in the same league. For exemple I have a pair of Sennheiser MTW which are in the same price range and sound better, but they don’t have ANC and are worse at every single other criteria I have listed. If I had to keep only one pair it would be a not brained to go for the AirPods Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

If anyone is interested, I have a pair reserved in Argos in St. Stephen's Green that I won't be picking up.

Reserved them yesterday with the intention of returning them under Argos's 30 day returns policy if they didn't fit me ears. However when I went to collect them today was told they won't refund unless they are in the original cellophane.

Ordered from Apple now instead but having to wait 4 weeks. At least they'll accept a return if they don't fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

You should be hearing a significant difference. If you're not and you didn't buy them new . . . then there is a possibility they're fake. There are quite a few Chinese made knock offs available online that look very close - in some cases almost identical, but which don't have the functionality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps32Z5PM7Ec&t=2s

So that's a possibility? Of course, they may well be real and you're just not impressed. That's a possibility but MOST people find there to be a big difference between AirPods 1 and AirPods Pro.

You should be hearing a significant difference. If you're not and you didn't buy them new . . . then there is a possibility they're fake. There are quite a few Chinese made knock offs available online that look very close - in some cases almost identical, but which don't have the functionality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps32Z5PM7Ec&t=2s

So that's a possibility? Of course, they may well be real and you're just not impressed. That's a possibility but MOST people find there to be a big difference between AirPods 1 and AirPods Pro.

Hi, Thanks for the concern. You are right, I bought them "used" but when I bought them i checked the serial number and ensured they are genuine. I have scheduled a call with Apple support to see if there is anything I can do.Fingers crossed!

I will say that while the "test fit" sequence still doesnt work, I think they do sound better than my previous Airpods. I think this may be a mental thing where I had much bigger expectations of sound improvements as a result of the reviews I read

Is there really a month leadtime on these in the Apple Store? What are the odds of them arriving sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭djdunny

Is there really a month leadtime on these in the Apple Store? What are the odds of them arriving sooner?

I ordered mine at the end of November and the delivery date I got with my confirmation email was the exact date I received them so I guess there is little to no chance of them coming sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

I’m having awful trouble with these. Got them mid December and they were grand for about two weeks, at the beginning of the year the right one started disconnecting after about 5/10 minutes of use. I forgot them from my phone and they usually worked grand but it’s at the stage now where the right one is completely knackered. My phone recognises it but it’s like it doesn’t recognise my ear when I put it in.

Was onto apple support about it and they made me an appointment with CompuB so I’m hoping they can replace them. Not good for a €280 pair of earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

DubDJ wrote: »
    Have you got an email where we can all contact you and find out if the stuff we buy is value for money before we buy?

Why are people willing to pay silly money for: a car, a house, a holiday, a fancy meal, a night out etc.

This stuff is all relative, what’s silly to you might not be silly to us. Maybe we think going to gigs and spending money on pints are a waste of money, especially since you can easily spend €50-€100 on a night out. Instead of spending the money on two nights out you can put that towards a set of AirPods. You’ll get years of use out of those instead of paying silly money for a hangover the next day.

It's just the way social media is going. Always someone with a condescending superior viewpoint. Buy something you like, someone tells you its a useless waste of money and they got the same product for €2 from China and it's amazing etc etc. In reality I find the AirPods pro exceptional, the price doesn't bother me and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. I realise they are at a premium, I accept and pay that. How that bothers someone else always makes the mind boggle. I'm sure they're much happier than me with their alternative products anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone else (whose firmware updated to 2C54) notice any change in the noise cancellation quality?

https://www.macworld.com/article/3514212/apple-please-fix-active-noise-cancellation-in-the-airpods-pro.html

The noice cancellation isn't great for me but that's because I can't get any of the damn tips to fit properly (memory foam tips ordered but not yet arrived) so I was wondering if anyone who gets a perfect fit has noticed any difference?

Anyone else (whose firmware updated to 2C54) notice any change in the noise cancellation quality?

https://www.macworld.com/article/3514212/apple-please-fix-active-noise-cancellation-in-the-airpods-pro.html

The noice cancellation isn't great for me but that's because I can't get any of the damn tips to fit properly (memory foam tips ordered but not yet arrived) so I was wondering if anyone who gets a perfect fit has noticed any difference?

Mine are still fine, cuts the train noise And the Terrible gym music out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’ve been eager to pick a pair of these up but I’m getting very cold feet. I’ve original AirPods 2 years and the battery life is atrocious. I get about an hour of music out of the left one (just music no calls) which has me thinking the AirPods pro will be the same.

Headphones should have a longer life than 2 years.

Anyone know of any decent competitors to the AirPods that are obviously Apple friendly, in war but don’t have clunky attachments (such as the Bose in ear noise cancellers with the headband)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

faceman wrote: »
    I’ve been eager to pick a pair of these up but I’m getting very cold feet. I’ve original AirPods 2 years and the battery life is atrocious. I get about an hour of music out of the left one (just music no calls) which has me thinking the AirPods pro will be the same.

Headphones should have a longer life than 2 years.

Anyone know of any decent competitors to the AirPods that are obviously Apple friendly, in war but don’t have clunky attachments (such as the Bose in ear noise cancellers with the headband)

In short: the laws of physics and current battery technology mean that any true wireless earphones currently on the market will see significant battery life drop after 2-3 years of daily use.

This is basically due to the fact that the tiny batteries they are powered by tend to lose capacity much more than larger units in proportion to their initial capacity when subjected to regular charging cycles.

If you want to look for an APP competitor, the best contender is arguably the Sony WF-1000XM3 though - they have slightly larger batteries making them larger/heavier but giving better battery life and making them slightly less affected by the issue you are describing. But they will also be affected eventually, and if you don’t accept significant battery life reduction after 2-3 years of regular use, you unfortunately have no choice but to go either for a wired unit, for larger over ear wireless headphones, or for wireless earphones with a neckband (which contains a much larger and more durable battery).

Advertisement