Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air pod noise cancelling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Picked mine up in California today.

Wow, they’re great, these are what they should have been day 1.

The seal is perfect, can’t see people saying these don’t fit properly like the old ones used to always get complaints about.

The ANC is brilliant, looking forward to testing them out in the flight home on Sunday, they should be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

eeloe wrote: »
    Picked mine up in California today.

Wow, they’re great, these are what they should have been day 1.

The seal is perfect, can’t see people saying these don’t fit properly like the old ones used to always get complaints about.

The ANC is brilliant, looking forward to testing them out in the flight home on Sunday, they should be brilliant.
    you may be disappointed seen a comment over on reddit of someone who picked them up straight before a flight and said they were pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

mine will be with me today , how was the set up in regards getting the fit right? saw theirs a test you can run when setting up

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

shanec1928 wrote: »
    you may be disappointed seen a comment over on reddit of someone who picked them up straight before a flight and said they were pretty poor.

There are others that say it’s good. If you think ANC will magically get rid of all noise you’ll be disappointed. It will lower the volume of the constant droning noise made by the engines but you’ll still be able to hear people talk, or babies crying. It’ll be at a much lower volume, but you’ll still hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DubDJ wrote: »
    Just got my pair a while ago. The noise cancellation is on point. And the transparency mode works well and sounds natural.

The fit is comfortable and so far so good. Only using the tips that came pre-installed. I can’t really say there’s a massive increase in sound quality though. They definitely sound better especially in the mids and lower end, not sure how much of that is down to the better seal with the new design.

Better sound by a bit, good noise cancellation and the wireless charging case are all handy additions for the price in fairness.

I was hoping sound quality would be massively improved, because the original are pretty much on par with the Apple’s pack-ins ear pods. I love the convenience of them, and I’m not interested in noise cancelling (have 1000xm3 for travel) just wish they wouldn’t sound like ass for music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I was hoping sound quality would be massively improved, because the original are pretty much on par with the Apple’s pack-ins ear pods. I love the convenience of them, and I’m not interested in noise cancelling (have 1000xm3 for travel) just wish they wouldn’t sound like ass for music.
    In fairness the sound quality thing is subjective though. What I hear might be different to the rest on here.

One thing I miss is the tap to skip songs, the click of the stem is just too fiddly and moves the AirPod in your ear. I can understand the reason for switching away from taps but a light tap usually worked and it wouldn’t have put too much pressure on your ear.

The other thing I find is putting the AirPods in and out of the case to be much more awkward. It’s harder to grip them while taking them out and then putting them back in you kind of have to twist them the opposite way. Definitely some negatives to the pro’s for me, although it might be stuff I just have to get used to after coming from the original AirPods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone else having problems ordering? My order goes through but then I get an email about an hour later telling me there was a problem with my payment method and to update the payment but there's nothing wrong with the card or my account (checked with bank) so I'm stuck in limbo. The Helpdesk couldn't help either. I've never had an issue with ordering of Apple before.

Anyone else having problems ordering? My order goes through but then I get an email about an hour later telling me there was a problem with my payment method and to update the payment but there's nothing wrong with the card or my account (checked with bank) so I'm stuck in limbo. The Helpdesk couldn't help either. I've never had an issue with ordering of Apple before.

I paid with Apple Pay and it worked fine. Have you tried removing the payment details and adding them back again?

Noise cancellation is good. Not as good as my Bose QC35's but somewhat comparable. I think I need to sort out what tips to wear, think the largest might be the best but only have the mediums on now.

One thing that's excellent is the feel. If I throw my Bose on my head without music playing, they feel awful. With music playing they're grand but without music, I don't know my head doesn't feel right. These don't have that "vacuum" issue. They just feel like earphones when in.

Edit: sound is great, a huge step up from AirPods. But one thing that’s really impressed me is transparency mode. That’ll be great for walks or cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

DubDJ wrote: »
    I paid with Apple Pay and it worked fine. Have you tried removing the payment details and adding them back again?

I tried 3 times yesterday and within 2 hours each time I got the follow up email telling me there was a payment issue.

I tried again today at 11am and haven’t had any email so it looks that whatever the glitch was, it is resolved now (hopefully!).

The only thing now is the delivery date is about 12 days further out than it was on yesterday’s orders.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

shanec1928 wrote: »

Meh, if you are buying headphones for a plane and you want decent noise cancelling you are not going to buy Apple in-ear headphones, so I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in these reviews.

These things are for convenience users, who want headphones they can stick in their pocket. The noise cancelling might be half decent, and will make your 45 min commute on the bus or whatever sound a bit better.

And aside from all that, the battery life is nowhere near good enough for them to be any use for frequent travellers.

These new AirPods are competing with the previous AirPods and other wireless in-ears. They are not competing with the likes of Bose. Completely different markets.

I'm loving mine so far, I have not owned a previous pair of airpods, loud, really comfortable, In the first bud test it's said to change, so I swapped to the large and it passed
    just listening to kendrick lamar and the bass is good & punchy

You can’t compare these with on-ear or over-ear headphones. They’re in-ears so they already have a disadvantage. I think they’re impressive based on that, didn’t expect them to be able to really block out the sound. Haven’t tried them on a commute yet but that’s my main reason I got them, current AirPods let in too much noise when listening to podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Very interested to hear yizzer experiences after a week of use. Thanks for the info. Gonna hold off on buying for another couple of weeks but the signs are good

Very impressed after 1 day. Cycled home using transparency mode and it was great to have a little background music while still being able to hear everything. Other uses were gym and office yesterday. Perfect at the gym, but had a little set up trouble with my apple watch, it kept disconnecting. It was still connected but the music would cut off and stop playing. Don't know what's up with that. Will try again tomorrow and get on to Apple if it's still like that. In the office they're perfect. Offices aren't really the best place for ANC headphones, as they will not block out people talking, but they do lower the overall drone that seems the happen in the background. Again, not as good as my overear ANC headphones but I never expected them to be. They're a great complementary headphone.

Sound is a lot better than I would have excepted. Quite a large soundstage for the type so it's quite open and full. Bass is good, it's there but it's not overpowering. I'm not a big bass head so I couldn't really say much more than the bass sounds like it should.

transparency mode is mad . super hearing :)
    1 full day in and i'm loving them

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The previous ones never stayed in my ears, they just constantly fell out. Are these supposed to be better in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

awec wrote: »
    The previous ones never stayed in my ears, they just constantly fell out. Are these supposed to be better in that regard?

Better in the fact that they have three sizes of tips. They also have a ear tip fit test where they’ll play a test piece of music and determine if the tips you picked are a good fit.

Whilst no one could guarantee you that they’d fit your ears, they’ve a much better chance given they’ve three size options.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Meh, if you are buying headphones for a plane and you want decent noise cancelling you are not going to buy Apple in-ear headphones, so I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in these reviews.

Disagree here - if it works well that is a use case I would very much be interested in.

2 reasons for this:
    - in ears are a much smaller package that the likes of Sony and Bose headphones, which is nice for short haul flights whereby I just take a small backpack (and the battery life is perfectly suitable for these flights).
    - People wearing glasses or sensitive to prolonged clamping and weight from headphones can prefer non-intrusive earbuds to headphones in terms of comfort and noise cancelling efficiency (many glasses prevent a perfect seal with over-ear headphones as the glasses’ legs create a gap between the earcups and the skull, which weakens the noise cancellation effect).

This is why until they died on me my Bose QC30 where my go to pair for short and medium haul flights over larger headphones. But you for long haul flights I’m still using the good old full sized QC25s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Bob24 wrote: »
    Disagree here - if it works well that is a use case I would very much be interested in.

2 reasons for this:
    - in ears are a much smaller package that the likes of Sony and Bose headphones, which is nice for short haul flights whereby I just take a small backpack (and the battery life is perfectly suitable for these flights)
    - People wearing glasses or sensitive to prolonged clamping and weight from headphones can prefer non-intrusive earbuds to headphones in terms of comfort and noise cancelling efficiency (many glasses prevent a perfect seal with headphones)

This is why until they died on me my Bose QC30 where my go to pair for short and medium haul flights over larger headphones. But you for long haul flights I’m still using the good old full sized QC25s.

All about personal preference really they are much handier to carry around. But I would advice people that if you are willing to spend this much money on a pair of Apple ANC headphones. Don’t be sucked in by Apple hype. Have a look around.

For the record I have Sony wh1000x3. Glasses wearer. No problem wearing them for hours. They are a different beast though. Not very mobile compared to Apple. Mainly use the for watching TV. Dolby Atmos through the Xbox sounds amazing. Even got them for less than Apples

So if you want portability and convinces go with Apple.
    But for full on sound and amazing ANC. I’d look around.

• Advertisement

For the record I have Sony wh1000x3. Glasses wearer. No problem wearing them for hours.

Glasses wearer as well and have been using noise cancelling earphones/headphones very regularly on flights for 15 years. In my experience it depends of the frame of the glasses. If they have small and flexible legs close to the skull - no issue with headphones. But if they have legs which are harder and further from the skull then it will logically prevent the earcups from sitting completely flush with your skull and let some outside noise leak inside - while it doesn’t ruin noise cancelling by any means, on a plane it clearly reduces it effect for me and increases the amount of engine and vibration noise I can hear.

Of course the Sony wh1000x3 or the Bose 700 will sound better and likely have better noise cancellation, but it doesn’t mean something like the AirPod pros can’t be more than good enough to watch a movie on a 2 hours flight. Bose has proven with the QC20 and QC30 that you can do very good noise cancelling with open earbuds which are not very intrusive (and while I haven’t tried them the Sony WF1000XM3 seem to be doing pretty well with a true wireless design). I don’t know if Apple was able to replicate this, but I wouldn’t automatically assume they couldn’t.

All about personal preference really they are much handier to carry around. But I would advice people that if you are willing to spend this much money on a pair of Apple ANC headphones. Don’t be sucked in by Apple hype. Have a look around.

For the record I have Sony wh1000x3. Glasses wearer. No problem wearing them for hours. They are a different beast though. Not very mobile compared to Apple. Mainly use the for watching TV. Dolby Atmos through the Xbox sounds amazing. Even got them for less than Apples

So if you want portability and convinces go with Apple.
    But for full on sound and amazing ANC. I’d look around.
    I have Bose QC35's headphones for flights and they're fantastic, but yeah if I'm popping over to England or only bringing hand luggage I'll be leaving them at home for these in the future. These aren't that much worse when it comes to ANC, which I think is fantastic given the size, lack of weight and portability. But I guess that's just Apple hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I have Bose QC35's headphones for flights and they're fantastic, but yeah if I'm popping over to England or only bringing hand luggage I'll be leaving them at home for these in the future. These aren't that much worse when it comes to ANC, which I think is fantastic given the size, lack of weight and portability. But I guess that's just Apple hype.

Whats the difference in sound quality like? I can't find any decent reviews about the sound on these that compares them to other ANC sets.

I’m curious, in which environment did test the AirPods’ noise cancelling vs what you know of the Bose? Street noise, public transport, plane? (I do realise you’ve only had them for a day or 2 and the answer won’t be yes to all of these :-))

Bob24 wrote: »
    I’m curious, in which environment did test the AirPods’ noise cancelling vs what you know of the Bose? Street noise, public transport, plane? (I do realise you’ve only had them for a day or 2 and the answer won’t be yes to all of these :-))
    Streets, the port, east link tollbridge, the office, at home with the heating on, and walking beside a luas. Haven't taken public transport in the last day or two, but I think for the size, weight, and portability the ANC is excellent. Not quite as good as my Bose, but I'd put that down to overear simply stopping a lot of noise getting to the ear anyway.

I want to try both on at the same time actually and see how weird that feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Got mine this morning. Never bought the previous version as they wouldn't stay in my ears.

These are better in that regard, but not as good as my old Shures. They don't actually go into the canal, kinda just cover the entrance. So even though they stay in better, they still don't feel secure.
    That said, they haven't fallen out yet, despite much head shaking!

So maybe they'll stay in without a bother. They're just a different feel to what I'm used to for the last numerous years.

As a by-the-by, is there any way of switching between modes on the watch?

Soarer wrote: »
    Got mine this morning. Never bought the previous version as they wouldn't stay in my ears.

These are better in that regard, but not as good as my old Shures. They don't actually go into the canal, kinda just cover the entrance. So even though they stay in better, they still don't feel secure.
    That said, they haven't fallen out yet, despite much head shaking!

So maybe they'll stay in without a bother. They're just a different feel to what I'm used to for the last numerous years.

As a by-the-by, is there any way of switching between modes on the watch?
    Click the airplay symbol in now playing and it will show you the options.

Pretty detailed initial hands-on from What Hi-Fi: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/apple-airpods-pro

Quite positive overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Click the airplay symbol in now playing and it will show you the options.

Thanks for that.

No such option in the Spotify complication.
    Bit of a pain having to switch to now playing.

I know, it's the first of first-world problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Time wrote: »
    Whats the difference in sound quality like? I can't find any decent reviews about the sound on these that compares them to other ANC sets.

I have Bose QC35s. I used the new AirPods on a 10+ hour flight on Sunday and didn’t feel any need to switch to the Bose. I’m very happy with the purchase. Noise cancelling is really good. Stay in ears even if you want to get a bit of sleep. Pretty impressive battery life. I did pop into the case for recharge a couple of times when taking a break from the iPad.

Advertisement