Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pub at Barker House [Mrs Robinson]

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GregGregson

Great little spot, very retro chic and an alternative pub much needed in Greystones. Would be a perfect size for an intimate gig venue, does anyone know if they have any live music on their roster?!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

God I hope not. What a pleasant place to have a pint and a chat without music being foisted on us. I know musical taste is a very personal thing and what one person likes another may hate, but why risk messing with a perfectly cosy little drinking shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

They don't have the space for a band anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

God I hope not. What a pleasant place to have a pint and a chat without music being foisted on us. I know musical taste is a very personal thing and what one person likes another may hate, but why risk messing with a perfectly cosy little drinking shop?
    if you want space for a pint without music head down to the burnaby...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

why?
    I like the new pub, because I can have a chat with customers or staff, in an enjoyable envirorment. That rules the Burnaby out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 GregGregson

They wont be putting on handels messiah every christmas but they have plenty of room for a band. You havent been to see any live music in the speakeasy (formerly shibeen chic) on georges street in town then? A pub half the length and with of mrs Robison and one of the nicest music venues in town

airscotty wrote: »
    Whats the age limit? Some 24ish yr old mates were refussed entry!! I'll give it a month till the novelty wears off...I'm sure they be only delighted for the business:D

I'd say the age policy is just a convenient way of turning people away without much hassle. The Beach House tried the whole over 21's thing a while back and look how long that lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Was in there tonight on the way home off the DART. Lovely place. Warm atmosphere, even though it was quite empty. Could do with some nibbles - I asked for some olives and feta cheese... Nope. Pity. Could also do with an incentive to catch the punters off the DART. Happy hour? With nibbles?

Will be going again, and looking forward to promised events in February.

darter wrote: »
    Was in there tonight on the way home off the DART. Lovely place. Warm atmosphere, even though it was quite empty. Could do with some nibbles - I asked for some olives and feta cheese... Nope. Pity. Could also do with an incentive to catch the punters off the DART. Happy hour? With nibbles?

Will be going again, and looking forward to promised events in February.

Do they have the space for a kitchen? I'd imagine it requires a different licence as well.

Also, olives, eww.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The Dart happy hour idea sounds good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

They should team up with the El Rincon and do order in Tapas. Yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

Damo9090 wrote: »
    The Dart happy hour idea sounds good!

It certainly does but unfortunately, I believe "Happy Hours" in their traditional form are no longer allowed in Ireland. I think they were made illegal a few years back under some "Stop People Getting Drunk Act" or something along those lines :).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

I love the place - but was in last week and asked for peanuts or crisps. I was told they have no snacks but are working on it for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

ryecatcher wrote: »
    I love the place - but was in last week and asked for peanuts or crisps. I was told they have no snacks but are working on it for the future!

They're trying to find just the right retro snacks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're trying to find just the right retro snacks. :)
    Twiglets and sausages on sticks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Tiradon wrote: »
    It certainly does but unfortunately, I believe "Happy Hours" in their traditional form are no longer allowed in Ireland. I think they were made illegal a few years back under some "Stop People Getting Drunk Act" or something along those lines :).

Well that Act worked! Not!

Why is it that the countries with the most regulation and highest prices have the greatest alcohol problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Happy Hour isn't illegal. Under the MEAS (mature enjoyment of alcohol in society) its illegal to promote irresponsible drinking, such as:

"Time to get wasted!! 2 for 1 drinks all night on Tuesdays!!"

or

"Buy one double vodka red bull get another free!!"

But if you want to do say cheap pints on Monday evenings - that isn't illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wicklowarms

Happy Hour isn't illegal. Under the MEAS (mature enjoyment of alcohol in society) its illegal to promote irresponsible drinking, such as:

"Time to get wasted!! 2 for 1 drinks all night on Tuesdays!!"

or

"Buy one double vodka red bull get another free!!"

But if you want to do say cheap pints on Monday evenings - that isn't illegal.

Meas is a code of practice and holds no legal binding. You are right in saying " drink 20 shots and get a free puppy!" attitude is what they are against but they have no powers apart from a name and shame in the trade mag.

But the boys in blue have the intoxicating liquor act 2003

20.—(1) A licensee shall not supply intoxicating liquor on the licensed premises at a reduced price during a limited period on any day.

And that will hurt to the tune of up to €3000!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

But all day is ok I assume? Otherwise, how do Dicey's in Harcourt St get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wicklowarms

d31b0y wrote: »
    But all day is ok I assume? Otherwise, how do Dicey's in Harcourt St get away with it?

Yeah all day is fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 kissthesky

hello. Just wondering how this place is getting along. Was following the preopening/opening and then the thread got quiet.Am from Tipp myself so havent been down there. Just interested to see how a brave pub startup is faring at the mo.

I have been down a good few times and every time it was very busy.
    One of those was a Tuesday night.

I love the place. The atmosphere is always great and the staff are very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I've heard a few things re age limits. Is it over 25?

Jammyc wrote: »
    I've heard a few things re age limits. Is it over 25?

Have seen groups of people between 18 and 21 so I'd say that is untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

DD9090 wrote: »
    Have seen groups of people between 18 and 21 so I'd say that is untrue.

There was definately a high age limit in place at one stage, myself and four friends were refused for being too young a few weeks after it opened (We are all around 21-22 and certainly weren't under-dressed or anything), although admittedly I haven't gone back since so it may be the case that they have relaxed the age limit since then, ill have to check it out again despite being a bit turned off by the experience :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Its a great spot,always have a great night there,atmosphere is great and staff are always on the ball

Advertisement