Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pub at Barker House [Mrs Robinson]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Finally, some solid information about what's going on. Hee hee, 70's. That should be a laugh. Just hope it's done so well it'll stick. Reminds me of a bar on South William Street (South William???) in town which has a load of kitsch furniture.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Swanner wrote: »
    "70's themed lounge bar" sounds a lot more promising then a "wine bar".

If he serves decent Guinness and has a good smoking area i'm there :)

Have you noticed his name is BYRNE ?

Let's hope he pipes all three Irish stouts, we don't all enjoy Diageo. Only pub outside of Cork I ever had such a choice was that South's (??) in Limerick, the one used in the Angela's Ashes moan-fest. :D:confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 topher

Yeah, its a realy pity its another Byrne - nothing against them or anything, but its just there is no competition in the town at all. The brunaby has no atmosphere, the Beach house has its own Clientele, and dans is just ok. Was looking forward to a new place opening to give the other Kips a run for their money - but looks like its all going to the one place now, and no incentive to upgrade the Boring Burnaby, which should really be a great place to go on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Let's hope he pipes all three Irish stouts, we don't all enjoy Diageo. Only pub outside of Cork I ever had such a choice was that South's (??) in Limerick, the one used in the Angela's Ashes moan-fest. :D:confused::p

Market demand prevails. If people up here wanted Beamish and Murphy's most pubs would sell it. But if it's to your liking, I hope you get it :D.

Is this one of "the Byrne's" or is the name an eerie coincedence ?

Surely not as they challenged the planning..

If it is the former I just give up...

Swanner wrote: »
    Market demand prevails. If people up here wanted Beamish and Murphy's most pubs would sell it. But if it's to your liking, I hope you get it :D.

Is this one of "the Byrne's" or is the name an eerie coincedence ?

Surely not as they challenged the planning..

If it is the former I just give up...

Unfortunatley i think it is one of the Byrne's. I know they challenged the planning, but that was back in 2010. Once they lost the planning they must have decided to take it on themselves, and get one of the sons to run it, to make sure no competition comes into the town - a real pity really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shaviebeby

Not one of the 'Byrne's,' just a coincidence. Another guy going in on it is involved in The Wright Venue in Swords. Big fish who obv know how to work a bar!!!

I hope someone else is helping, but cant be a coincidence about a byrnes running it, sure there is a picture on facebook of ones of the Byrnes' son standing outside it. either way, they still own the license - so still no competition. no one would mind if they ran good pubs - but they don't they run seriously rubbish pubs

topher wrote: »
    Unfortunatley i think it is one of the Byrne's. I know they challenged the planning, but that was back in 2010. Once they lost the planning they must have decided to take it on themselves, and get one of the sons to run it, to make sure no competition comes into the town - a real pity really

No relation, actually. But it's interesting to see so many people exercising their brains by jumping to conclusions. Do yis give them other exercise at all, lads?

Dan Byrne is from Bray. He's a rugger enthusiast, etc etc. Big question: why the 70s, FFS? I don't recall any great pub themes from that decade, unless you count boozeramas such as the Belgard Inn and other giant watering holes in distant estates. Which, given the size of this new place, hardly applies.

As to a choice of stouts. It's not a question of consumer demand, but of whether the market leader will withdraw facilities if a pub puts a competing drink in... So Diageo, rather than dislike of Murphy or Beamish, could be depriving me of my desired pint and Mr Dan Byrne of this customer (Diageo gives me a headache).

how do you know he is no relation, he has the same surname, and opening a pub in Greystones, they have to be connected - doesnt make any difference that he lives he Bray etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

topher wrote: »
    how do you know he is no relation, he has the same surname, and opening a pub in Greystones, they have to be connected - doesnt make any difference that he lives he Bray etc.

To be fair, Byrne is probably the most common surname in and around Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eigrod wrote: »
    To be fair, Byrne is probably the most common surname in and around Dublin.

Exactly

Can we please talk about the new pub itself - Not the Byrnes, Not the Burnaby

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17 videos

well said salsa- for what it is worth, i am from gstones, lived here 40 years+, know all the byrne family members: and THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

No relation, actually. But it's interesting to see so many people exercising their brains by jumping to conclusions. Do yis give them other exercise at all, lads?

You where first to jump so maybe you should be taking a very long walk or jog?

I will be supporting this new pub. :)

Damo9090 wrote: »
    You where first to jump so maybe you should be taking a very long walk or jog?

I will be supporting this new pub. :)

No, I merely noted the fact. I hung out my hook and, amusingly enough, I caught a few.

I will be supporting this new pub.

I'll check it out — and if Mr Dan Byrne has three stout brands on tap, I might even stay, might even become a regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

shaviebeby wrote: »
    Not one of the 'Byrne's,' just a coincidence. Another guy going in on it is involved in The Wright Venue in Swords. Big fish who obv know how to work a bar!!!
    "Big fish" and "wrights of howth" boom boom!!!
    Nothing to do with the byrnes has them quaking though. Will open at 5 and 12 fri sat sun. No food. Along the style of wrights Gilbert and Wrights pubs one of which is in dun laoghaire.
    Funny how any mention of a pub brings up the Byrnes name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

As to a choice of stouts. It's not a question of consumer demand, but of whether the market leader will withdraw facilities if a pub puts a competing drink in...

It's still down to consumer demand. The politics between Guinness, Murphy's and Beamish are irelevant.

If Diageo gives you a headache there can't be many drinks you can enjoy..

Anyway, back to reality...;)

Here's one for you loyatemu - remember Disco Stu's goldfish shoes?!

Freshly caught by Wrights!

1453123-platshoefishw_super.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

astrofluff wrote: »

That would be an awesome name for a dish if they were serving food :)

Disco Stu's Goldfish fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

astrofluff wrote: »

Homer: Uh, your fish are dead.
    Disco Stu: Yeah, I know. I... can't get them out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Saw some furniture being brought in this morning around 8.30am, there was a big removals van outside. Looked like olde world furniture to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Saw some furniture being brought in this morning around 8.30pm, there was a big removals van outside. Looked like olde world furniture to me.
    And I saw some tumble weeds been brought into the burnaby. Looked like wild west tumble weeds to me 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

d31b0y wrote: »

disco stew? Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Most likely be Tuesday night that it's opening, that came from one of the builders on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Opened last night. Very different and giving out free beer so a good start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Feic. I strolled passed at about 6.15 lastnight to see whether they looked like they would be opening but I thought they were going to be at least another evening at it judging by the amount of people working. Might pop in this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

official opening 5 pm today, or so I heard, seems to be a rolling opening, either way, I'll be there for a pint later this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

d31b0y wrote: »

Del... you'd think you were wearing them they way you'd stagger around the back of my cab at 1am :)

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Del... you'd think you were wearing them they way you'd stagger around the back of my cab at 1am :)

Are you back in town Ciaran67? Greystones' favourite tax exile back to earn some Christmas cash??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

A good crowd in there tonight, Pints 4.70, wine a little on the dear side 6 euro. Service good, barmen need a little more training. All in all a nice spot. I wish them luck in their venture.

Advertisement