Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pub at Barker House [Mrs Robinson]

Options
  • 28-11-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Work progressing rapidly on new Public House on Church Road. Anybody know who is to be the operator/landlord?. When is it opening? Looks like their aiming to open before Christmas.
    It will be nice to see an alternative to the one watering hole in town. It will also put it up to the one publican who owns and controls both the existing premises to have serious competition.
    Looking forward to seeing new pub completed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 INUTERO

Hi,a little bird has told me it will be open by Christmas and its owned by the same crowd who own the Wright venue in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Planning was granted back in February - I think they should have got their act together a little quicker. If they wanted to capture the Christmas trade, then having it open at least 3 weeks before Christmas would be good. How are we doing for time?

I think January/February will be dead for them with Christmas cash all spent and the budget hitting everyone hard. They don't have regulars yet so they better come up with a good theme/food or whatever to get the constant trade. Hopefully they'll do the right thing and keep the riff-raff out.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

INUTERO wrote: »
    Hi,a little bird has told me it will be open by Christmas and its owned by the same crowd who own the Wright venue in Swords.
    After hearing from the hairdresser next door to new pub that delay has arisen. Apparently an objection has come from another similar trader in town. Poster mentioning next year for opening seems to be somewhat correct. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

vinpaul wrote: »
    After hearing from the hairdresser next door to new pub that delay has arisen. Apparently an objection has come from another similar trader in town. Poster mentioning next year for opening seems to be somewhat correct. Pity

We will have to see. I heard the objection was Ages ago and since then planning was granted. I dont see how another objection can be made after granting of planning and during works?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

An Bord Pleanála

PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT ACTS 2000 TO 2010

Wicklow County

Planning Register Reference Number: 10/2639

An Bord Pleanála Reference Number: PL 27.237592

APPEAL by The Burnaby Hotel Limited care of John Hodgins Architects of Amalfi, Rocky Road, Wicklow Town against the decision made on the 25th day of August, 2010 by Wicklow County Council to grant subject to conditions a permission to Owen Owens care of OCA Architects of 44-45 Lower Camden Street, Dublin in accordance with plans and particulars lodged with the said Council.

PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT: Change of use of existing ground floor unit of 224.1 square metres from retail use to public house use; additional door to bin store to rear of the existing unit; part of the development recently constructed pursuant to planning register reference numbers 06/6315, 07/2749 and 08/562 on an overall site area of 0.0915 hectares at Barker House, Church Road and Hillside Road, Greystones, County Wicklow.

DECISION

GRANT permission for the above proposed development in accordance with the said plans and particulars based on the reasons and considerations under and subject to the conditions set out below.

MATTERS CONSIDERED

In making its decision, the Board had regard to those matters to which, by virtue of the Planning and Development Acts and Regulations made thereunder, it was required to have regard. Such matters included any submissions and observations received by it in accordance with statutory provisions.

http://www.wicklow.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=102639&LASiteID=0

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    An Bord Pleanála

PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT ACTS 2000 TO 2010

Wicklow County

Planning Register Reference Number: 10/2639

An Bord Pleanála Reference Number: PL 27.237592

APPEAL by The Burnaby Hotel Limited care of John Hodgins Architects of Amalfi, Rocky Road, Wicklow Town against the decision made on the 25th day of August, 2010 by Wicklow County Council to grant subject to conditions a permission to Owen Owens care of OCA Architects of 44-45 Lower Camden Street, Dublin in accordance with plans and particulars lodged with the said Council.

PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT: Change of use of existing ground floor unit of 224.1 square metres from retail use to public house use; additional door to bin store to rear of the existing unit; part of the development recently constructed pursuant to planning register reference numbers 06/6315, 07/2749 and 08/562 on an overall site area of 0.0915 hectares at Barker House, Church Road and Hillside Road, Greystones, County Wicklow.

DECISION

GRANT permission for the above proposed development in accordance with the said plans and particulars based on the reasons and considerations under and subject to the conditions set out below.

MATTERS CONSIDERED

In making its decision, the Board had regard to those matters to which, by virtue of the Planning and Development Acts and Regulations made thereunder, it was required to have regard. Such matters included any submissions and observations received by it in accordance with statutory provisions.

http://www.wicklow.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=102639&LASiteID=0

Sorry Im not sure how to read that.
    I think it says permission granted, despite burnaby objection on term that noise is not above certain level and that signage is agreed in advance.

Is that correct in basic terms?
    Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Jimjay wrote: »
    Sorry Im not sure how to read that.
    I think it says permission granted, despite burnaby objection on term that noise is not above certain level and that signage is agreed in advance.

Is that correct in basic terms?
    Ta

That's it in a nutshell. The noise level conditions are pretty technical. The rest of them are standard.

Really hope this place opens soon and does well...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Looks like it's all systems go for developer of Pub.
    Heard a rumour that a "Night Club" is planned for upstairs. This would surely require a new planning application and having read the earlier one regarding "Noise levels" and operating times for music, it would look highly unlikely that any further application would be successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I am looking forward to seeing this place open although both the Beach House and Burnaby are fine drinking holes as it is and there really isn't the demand for another pub apart from the desire to look at different surroundings.

A niteclub? A bit of competition for Upstairs at the Beach House.

I hope it will not go a little something like this ...

1. Wow look at the new pub, lets all go
    2. Isn't the new pub doing well, its jammers
    3. I just love having another venue to go to the once a month I go out
    4. Jeez they dont serve Champagne and the cavier is crap
    5. They are letting in all the fellas barred from everywhere else
    6. Complaints of noise and disturbance
    7. 'Special' event nights to get the punters in
    8. Owners post on boards.ie asking what beer they should sell
    9. Oh dear not much trade
    10. Closed

Finally the deciding factor on whether it will be a winner is... is there a bookies next to it.. if not, fail!

As long as they have a quiz night I will be satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe we could give it time to open before predicting it's demise!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I am looking forward to seeing this place open although both the Beach House and Burnaby are fine drinking holes as it is and there really isn't the demand for another pub apart from the desire to look at different surroundings.

A niteclub? A bit of competition for Upstairs at the Beach House.

I hope it will not go a little something like this ...

1. Wow look at the new pub, lets all go
    2. Isn't the new pub doing well, its jammers
    3. I just love having another venue to go to the once a month I go out
    4. Jeez they dont serve Champagne and the cavier is crap
    5. They are letting in all the fellas barred from everywhere else
    6. Complaints of noise and disturbance
    7. 'Special' event nights to get the punters in
    8. Owners post on boards.ie asking what beer they should sell
    9. Oh dear not much trade
    10. Closed

Finally the deciding factor on whether it will be a winner is... is there a bookies next to it.. if not, fail!

As long as they have a quiz night I will be satisfied.

Your comparison to the Greystones inn is slightly flawed in respect that the new pub is in a prime location in the middle of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 noital

Apparently is going to be a wine bar type place, and its Alan Clancy, formerly of Dusty Millers and a few other places that is taking it on.

Hopefully it will be a good place. Would have though a night club would have needed planning and also doubt a night club could operate with the noise restrictions.

noital wrote: »
    Apparently is going to be a wine bar type place, and its Alan Clancy, formerly of Dusty Millers and a few other places that is taking it on.

I really hope this isn't the case.

We don't need a wine bar. We need a Pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

sign says wine bar.

dr ro wrote: »
    sign says wine bar.

A completley wasted opportunity IMO

I'll stick with Dann's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Wine Bar... oh dear... skip to point 4 of my list, do not pass go do not gain business credibility by catering to key demographics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

I like wine, I'd have preferred a regular pub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Swanner wrote: »
    A completley wasted opportunity IMO

I'll stick with Dann's :)

Not necessarily. People say we need another pub but I've yet to be in either greystones pub and not be able to get a seat. As another poster has said, possibly the only need for a pub is to have new surroundings. After all, where are the new punters going to come from? Are there that people out there staying away from the greystones pubs out of principle?

I think there is a need for a pub type place that does good food at reasonable prices; the food in both the Beach House and Burnaby is average at best. There have been more than a few times that we have wanted to get a nice casual meal and not wanted to wait to get a table at the three q's or didn't want to pay the hungry monk prices.

So maybe someone has spotted a gap in the market and thought that people might want to go somewhere to get a decent glass of wine and decent food. I think they should be given the benefit of the doubt for offering something that isn't exactly the same as we already have (and that isn't oversubscribed). Not all wine bars are like Leggs after all. ;-)

I love wine too....but I don't go to a "wine bar" to drink it.

I buy it cheap in the Supermarket and drink it at home

The pub's for pints.

Blandpebbles is on the button here...they have completley misjudged the demographic and probably based the decision on what everyone expects Greystones to be like as opposed to any real market research.

I give it 6 months.

Are there that people out there staying away from the greystones pubs out of principle?

In many cases, Yes.

Dann's is probably the only pub with anything resembling an atmosphere in Greystones.

I don't want to derail the thread so won't eloborate only to say people are crying out for choice and just want a friendly pub, with great food, atmosphere and most importantly - Service !!

This wine bar is just celtic tiger ****e and about 5 years too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

There are plenty of coffee shops around that are doing well... and the yummy mummies who frequent them are only one small disagreement or one bold child away from hitting the drink at the best of times IMO. I think we might be surprised with how many people pop in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

I hear "Mrs Robinsons" is going to be a pub and will open on 10 December..... all going well.

Lets see it first. Wine bar is just a label, most wine bars are just pubs that have a lot of choice of wine, they still sell beer, still have bar stools and tables to sit at tO drink your beer or wine.

Whats the big deal if they call it a wine bar?

Btw, i dont go to burnaby due to my principles. So looking forward to a venue i will go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 asrielgk

Jimjay wrote: »
    Lets see it first. Wine bar is just a label, most wine bars are just pubs that have a lot of choice of wine, they still sell beer, still have bar stools and tables to sit at tO drink your beer or wine.

Whats the big deal if they call it a wine bar?

Btw, i dont go to burnaby due to my principles. So looking forward to a venue i will go to.

Wrights Wine Bar in Swords, is exactly that. A small bar that sells lots of different wines. But majority in the late evenings are on a bar stool drinking pints.

G

Let's hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

youknowwho wrote: »
    I hear "Mrs Robinsons" is going to be a pub and will open on 10 December..... all going well.

10 full days till opening, yeah right :rolleyes:

***must pop my head in to see how much is left to do before I start wagering bets on boards.ie again***

@Jimjay - sorry I must have missed your point of principle, or this something you've kept private? :o

***edit: There's a 'Wine Bar' at El Rincon - wow, how that has taken off!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Astro, the principle I believe is the owner/manager of said bar is rude and obnoxious at the best of times. The pub also lacks atmosphere unless there's a major sporting event on and even then you can't see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Boooooooo!

Let's keep this about the new establishment. We all know how people feel about the other pub / pubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Where exactly is it to be?

Will it have a decent range of beers? Or just the tied Diageo ****e? I've only once ever been in an Irish bar outside Cork which offered all three commercial stouts, for example, and that was in Limerick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe we could give it time to open before predicting it's demise!

Obviously not :rolleyes:

Can't believe how negative and moany and cynical this forum is sometimes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement