Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I happened to run along the Prom in Salthill today. There were hundreds of people walking in groups, standing around in groups chatting with coffees, watching buskers, queuing for ice cream and the amount of people of on Ladies beach sunbathing almost on top of each other was incredible.

I’ve personally no problem with this but it just goes to show how ridiculous it is that we can’t have a controlled road race!

Absolute farce

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Chivito550 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/libraries-and-sports-centres-across-dublin-to-open-for-public-toilets-under-council-plans-5416999-Apr2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Irishtown Stadium to open very soon, but don't get too excited, it's toilets only... Not the track!

Every day this country surprises me in unimaginable ways.

Lack of public toilets is a broader human rights issue in fairness. Fine for the likes of myself: I'm young and healthy so can hold it till I get home usually and male, so if I do get caught short, it's a lot easier for me to pee behind a tree or whatever. But for anyone with any sort of bladder control issues, it's an important issue.

Don't get me wrong of course, I think we should have both public toilets and running tracks. But I think if you're forced to choose one or the other, public toilets have the higher priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I happened to run along the Prom in Salthill today. There were hundreds of people walking in groups, standing around in groups chatting with coffees, watching buskers, queuing for ice cream and the amount of people of on Ladies beach sunbathing almost on top of each other was incredible.

I’ve personally no problem with this but it just goes to show how ridiculous it is that we can’t have a controlled road race!

Absolute farce

TbL

Oh yeah pure coincidence you happened to go for a run when the Ladies beach was packed, you wearing the mankini to impress them?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Absolute farce

TbL

What a coincidence, I happened to be in Galway and ran along the Prom this afternoon. I was in a extremely heavy red jacket :rolleyes::eek:

Same as you I couldn't believe the amount in swimming and playing on the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Stark wrote: »
    Lack of public toilets is a broader human rights issue in fairness. Fine for the likes of myself: I'm young and healthy so can hold it till I get home usually and male, so if I do get caught short, it's a lot easier for me to pee behind a tree or whatever. But for anyone with any sort of bladder control issues, it's an important issue.

Don't get me wrong of course, I think we should have both public toilets and running tracks. But I think if you're forced to choose one or the other, public toilets have the higher priority.

Absolutely agree, particularly for those who are homeless.

But the idea that sports facilities are used for this is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Absolutely agree, particularly for those who are homeless.

But the idea that sports facilities are used for this is baffling.

Yeah the councils should really be providing purpose built ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

https://www.thejournal.ie/libraries-and-sports-centres-across-dublin-to-open-for-public-toilets-under-council-plans-5416999-Apr2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Irishtown Stadium to open very soon, but don't get too excited, it's toilets only... Not the track!

Every day this country surprises me in unimaginable ways.

It will open on Monday for kids sports or is there a different rule for there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Quiet!

zzzzzzZZZZZZZ Athletics Ireland zzzzzzZZZZZZZ

is asleep...

zzzzzzZZZZZZZ Athletics Ireland zzzzzzZZZZZZZ

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

New study released by parkrun today which covers simulations on 10,000 simulations of average sized parkrun's in the UK and based on the infection rate in the UK during the end of March.

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/04/23/new-research-shows-exceptionally-low-risk-of-covid-transmission-at-outdoor-sporting-events/

Basically says that you aren't catching covid at a running event with a chance of around 0.015%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So for the latest episode of "races are coming back, in a form, and not very far away from you, keep the faith" I did my marathon race/ time trail yesterday.

Was the same crowd that organised the event I used for my virtual London back in October, and also the 5 miler I did last week. Slight variation on the course for this marathon so only 3 laps of the super flat bit we did 5 laps of in October, with then an out and back of 5 miles before and after that section. Almost perfect weather, nice and sunny but not actually hot until later on, was a bit windy but from a different direction to normal around the area and we only ended up running into the headwind for about a mile and half on each lap. Was starting and finishing at a decommissioned nuclear power station and after parking up we had to queue up for our numbers, that was a bit slow but didn't really matter as you just started once you'd wandered up to the start area, queued up and waited your turn to be scanned and then go. In theory it was meant to be ordered to limit overtaking, but nobody really cared about that and you just started whenever.

Was just aiming to get around in a "safe" 3:07 which is what I think I'd need to be fairly certain of GFA for London 2022, but after a mile someone else pulled alongside me and as he spotted my blood glucose sensor on my arm and he was diabetic himself we ended up chatting diabetes and running for the next 15 miles and I was then going at about 6:40-45 pace rather than the intended 7:05's. I knew it was a bit tastier than I wanted to be going so let him pull away at 16 miles and eased off myself. Was very quiet country lanes for the whole route, but a few people I knew had cycled out to watch or were running backwards around the laps to get their own run in and spectate which was cool to see other people who are also missing the spectating of running too. The 5 mile return from the lapped section and I started to pick off a few more people who'd gone speeding past earlier on despite me actually now running slower, but as we all started at different times you had no idea where you were actually placed. About 4 miles to go I caught up with my buddy from earlier and he tried to tag on again but couldn't keep it going and eventually clocked a time 6 minutes slower than mine so must have really struggled those last miles.

Coming past mile 25 had the unexpected support of the wife and kid parked on the side of the road to cheer me on as they had got away from kids activities earlier than expected. Need to work on the kids cheering though as that consisted of shouting "my leg hurts" as I ran past, yes I know child, mine do too.

Clocked a 3:06:20 in the end which should be sufficient for next years London based on 2020 allocation of places, but now concerned that my calculations didn't account for the changes in championship standards which will reduce the GFA places. That I managed to back off after the faster than intended start and still bring it in with the planned time is a good sign though and if I keep some training going until October then I can try for a safer time then, but the pressure is off a bit now as I have a time to apply with. If GFA standards shift that much that I don't get in with 3:06 then so be it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Temporarily closing to allow Mods to review some posts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There is some continued discussion in relation to posts in this thread, we will reopen as soon as we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

E0kj6SIX0AQD1iT?format=jpg

I think the end of June is going to be too soon for them to be able to make the call of a yes. If they were able to delay a decision until the beginning of August I'd be more hopeful of a positive outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

robinph wrote: »
    I think the end of June is going to be too soon for them to be able to make the call of a yes. If they were able to delay a decision until the beginning of August I'd be more hopeful of a positive outcome

Yeah agreed. That might be able to confirm a scaled down version by then but not a 20,000 event.

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Yeah agreed. That might be able to confirm a scaled down version by then but not a 20,000 event.

The question is how they scale back...
    They mentioned they already refunded 10% of entries last summer, so that's already 2,500 gone.
    Also they said approx 20% were overseas entries, if they limit it to people on the island it's another 5,000 gone.
    So it could be anywhere between 17,000 to 20,000 at present that are left in the hat.
    How do they cut that down further?

Can't see them getting the green light by the end of June myself, but at least the discussion is started now and they can press leaders and councils/Gardai for a decision with some public dialogue being had in advance. Kite flying seems to work for FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭event

Have in my head it's not happening anyway, so as long as my entry carrys over from 2020 to 2022 I'll be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

Would entering Dublin virtual help towards the new lottery system in future years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

deisedude wrote: »
    Would entering Dublin virtual help towards the new lottery system in future years?

Highly unlikely in my opinion.

The only thing the virtual entries help with is guaranteeing an income stream for DCM who potentially will have gone two years with no in person event to speak of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Almost like Texas and Florida doesn't exist...funny that.

The paddies wondering if an outside mass event can happen in OCTOBER with all the vulnerable and at-risk people in the country fully vaccinated...meanwhile in Florida UFC are hosting max capacity 15,000 indoor events in APRIL and in Texas the Texas Rangers outdoor baseball games happening at full capacity.

Boris has also said social distancing and all Covid restrictions should be lifted by end of July in the UK.

Ireland is an embarrassing country with embarrassing leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Ireland is an embarrassing country with embarrassing leadership.

Death rates per 1,000,000 population

UK- 1,904
    USA - 1,755
    Florida- 1,640
    Texas- 1,730
    Ireland- 993

_114779550__114752454_johnsontrump2_e.jpg

Im not agreeing or disagreeing with current policies or how things have been handled but the grass is always greener.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Yes: “A trial event could have been facilitated (but) it was shot down. There are sports rolling up their sleeves and being proactive."

zzzZZZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The question is how they scale back...
    They mentioned they already refunded 10% of entries last summer, so that's already 2,500 gone.
    Also they said approx 20% were overseas entries, if they limit it to people on the island it's another 5,000 gone.
    So it could be anywhere between 17,000 to 20,000 at present that are left in the hat.
    How do they cut that down further?

Can't see them getting the green light by the end of June myself, but at least the discussion is started now and they can press leaders and councils/Gardai for a decision with some public dialogue being had in advance. Kite flying seems to work for FG.

Some people may no longer wish to take part. So 15000 max will take part.

If govt figures on vaccines are accurate for end of June, no reason to stop it. Supply seems far more reliable now too.

Varadkar talking about August as being as close to normal as can be expected.

UK- 1,904
    USA - 1,755
    Florida- 1,640
    Texas- 1,730
    Ireland- 993

Im not agreeing or disagreeing with current policies or how things have been handled but the grass is always greener.....

Sigh we have had and we still have the longest lockdown in the world..you would think the figures would be much lower than that but no there actually comparable which tell you how much of waste of time the last 15 months have been. The grass is also plenty greener is other countries that beat our death rates per captia like Norway, Canada, Malta, etc.

But anyways the point still remains the Paddy's still can't find a way to host an outdoor fitness event with all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated...it is beyond embarrassing.

UK- 1,904
    USA - 1,755
    Florida- 1,640
    Texas- 1,730
    Ireland- 993

Ireland has the youngest population in the EU. How it compares to USA and UK I'm not sure, but I suspect they have older populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Sigh we have had and we still have the longest lockdown in the world..you would think the figures would be much lower than that but no there actually comparable which tell you how much of waste of time the last 15 months have been. The grass is also plenty greener is other countries that beat our death rates per captia like Norway, Canada, Malta, etc.

But anyways the point still remains the Paddy's still can't find a way to host an outdoor fitness event with all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated...it is beyond embarrassing.

Comparable yes... 50 % lower than USA death rate and 44% lower than UK.

Average ages of population

uk =40.1
    us = 38.1
    Eu= 43.7
    Ireland = 37.8

I'd be hopeful of DCM happening in October. Late June might be a difficult deadline for a decision but if they can kick the can down the road for a decision in late July or August then the odds will be significantly better.

As I said, I'm not arguing for or against. I just find some of your comments hysterical and inaccurate i.e "all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated". Did I miss this bit of news? Anyway, I have resisted this thread for 14 months, Im going to start resisting again, ciao :D

Ireland has the youngest population in the EU. How it compares to USA and UK I'm not sure, but I suspect they have older populations.

The difference in the age structures is much less than the difference in the death rates.

Murph_D wrote: »
    The difference in the age structures is much less than the difference in the death rates.

Would be interesting to see the numbers in USA in states that have high population density and low population density. Ireland has much lower population density compared to UK. What are the numbers like in Scotland which would be more comparable to Ireland?

That said, I've very little ounces of interest left in it at this stage. Track season around the corner so time to just get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

We can speculate all we like but its out of our control. Get your jab, train for it and if it happens it happens.

Would be interesting to see the numbers in USA in states that have high population density and low population density. Ireland has much lower population density compared to UK. What are the numbers like in Scotland which would be more comparable to Ireland?

That said, I've very little ounces of interest left in it at this stage. Track season around the corner so time to just get on with it.

I’ve very little interest in discussing this topic on the internet either, but the population density statistics you refer to seem to be readily available, as are regional covid rates.

As I said, I'm not arguing for or against. I just find some of your comments hysterical and inaccurate i.e "all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated". Did I miss this bit of news? Anyway, I have resisted this thread for 14 months, Im going to start resisting again, ciao :D

Are we now saying by the end of October we won't have all the vulnerable/at risk people in Ireland vaccinated?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

Murph_D wrote: »
    Highly unlikely in my opinion.
    robinph wrote: »
    The only thing the virtual entries help with is guaranteeing an income stream for DCM who potentially will have gone two years with no in person event to speak of.

Thanks for the replies lads. My last DCM was 2017 so I guess the odds will be stacked against me with lotteries the next few years with the pent up demand.

That said I can barely run 2.6 miles at the moment :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not as much as self loathing and this Paddy bull****.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not as much as self loathing and this Paddy bull****.

Ah if only...we now need the EU and other member states to save the Paddies from themselves.

https://twitter.com/fulviomartuscie/status/1389520284915535873

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Maybe you're spending to much time staring down at that cap in your hand in deference to every other country in the world you personally deem as your better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Do you think that running an event the size of the DCM is just a case of standing a few people in hi-viz jackets on the side of the road.

The shear logistics of just putting together an event plan covering all possible eventualities, making sure you have enough medical staff (most of whom are currently involved with test/vaccination centres), making sure you have enough security staff, ensuring safety around bag drops, portable loos, staggered start (if possible), drink/gel stations, spectators yay or nay. Insurance costs will have increased etc etc. All of this to me, very much puts in doubt a DCM as we know it going ahead. I'm sorry for all the 'runners' who miss their races, but personally I'm gutted for all of the charities and the millions they will lose out on again.

You remind me of those people who turn up at 9-25 on a Saturday morning, do their parkrun get into their car and head home, who never see all the work that goes into setting up a parkrun.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Maybe you're spending to much time staring down at that cap in your hand in deference to every other country in the world you personal deem as your better.

The longest lockdown in the WORLD:pac::pac:

Ah the way people are going on in this thread even after all the science that has been revealed about the virus over the last 15 months we may still not have a marathon in 2023 ya know to be sure to be sure...

Anyways I have nothing further to add to this thread best of luck with all your training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The longest lockdown in the WORLD:pac::pac:

Ah the way people are going on in this thread even after all the science that has been revealed about the virus over the last 15 months we may still not have a marathon in 2023 ya know to be sure to be sure...

Anyways I have nothing further to add to this thread best of luck with all your training.

If I hated where I live as much as you, I'd move.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FinnC

Mullingar Half Marathon going ahead on September 25th as per their Facebook page.

FinnC wrote: »
    Mullingar Half Marathon going ahead on September 25th as per their Facebook page.

Good call by them.
    I think Dublin may have jumped too early cancelling the national half.
    Great to have some people take the step and confirm given the direction things are moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Good call by them.
    Great to have some people take the step and confirm given the direction things are moving.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Most events I've seen so far are on dates I can't make, normally wouldn't be a problem but this year it is, as there are no alternatives! Be great to see these announcements start to come thick and fast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Good call by them.

I think the whole series as a virtual event works better. If that trade off gets the marathon happening properly so be it.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I think the whole series as a virtual event works better. If that trade off gets the marathon happening properly so be it.

National half would have been late September though, with bibs posted so no expo/indoor Reg.
    Could have worked for sure in the park, maybe they used virtual series as part of bargaining for the long term benefits as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Do athletics Ireland need to give the go ahead before we will see any club races etc ? Any announcements so far seem to be independent of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Clew Bay Half Marathon & 10k on 18 September. Limited to 200 entrants and already 50% full according to their FB page. Ran this 3 years ago; a great race on a very scenic and challenging course. I've entered again and hopefully it'll go ahead; if anything it's a nice excuse for a weekend away from the big smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Berlin has confirmed today that it is going ahead.

https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/your-registration/registration-information/faq/

Annoying that I've booked Manchester as wasn't expecting Berlin to go ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Do athletics Ireland need to give the go ahead before we will see any club races etc ? Any announcements so far seem to be independent of them?

We don't have any government announcements about outdoor gathering numbers yet. I'd hope it will be likes of 200 from 9th of June for whatever the next easing restriction is for (lets say July or August), then up to 500, until we know this figure very hard to plan other than throwing provisional dates out.

Timmaay wrote: »
    We don't have any government announcements about outdoor gathering numbers yet. I'd hope it will be likes of 200 from 9th of June for whatever the next easing restriction is for (lets say July or August), then up to 500, until we know this figure very hard to plan other than throwing provisional dates out.

I don't think that will be relevant for sporting events this time. Last year after National Seniors, the 200 limit was dropped for sporting events, and only applied to other outdoor gatherings. As a result Masters and Juniors were able to go ahead without the need for the creativity needed to get Seniors over the line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement