Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Athletics Ireland announce details of the cross-country season....looks like qualification is necessary for senior xc:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/cross-country-championship-announcement
    National Senior Cross-Country Championships:

Qualifications: First 3 Clubs from Regional Championships (Leinster (rest of Leinster clubs), Dublin (Dublin clubs), Connacht, Munster, Ulster/ANI (6 athletes per team, 4 to score)

Plus First 6 individuals from Regional Championships (excluding those already qualified on club teams)
    Plus 2019 club and individual winners
    Plus up to 23 places available to elite/HP/U23 athletes based on European Cross Championship participation over the last 3 years
    If there are remaining places available, they will be allocated on the discretion of the National Endurance Coordinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Who decide if the take up is enough?
    Should nphet still have that much power once there is vaccine?
    What is the breaking point for the Govt finances? Have we already passed it...

Rates on bonds are so low we can keep borrowing.
    The sad part of this is, if covid hadn't arrived, the government wouldn't of borrowed so much to fix the country, could of implemented an excellent infrastructure plan for all etc

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

I wonder how the National Senior Indoor Championships will work if they are allowed to go ahead (assuming that only 50 people will be allowed to be present at any one time).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

CPC Loop Den Haag deferred to September 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

OOnegative wrote: »
    CPC Loop Den Haag deferred to September 2021.

Berlin half moved from April to August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,997 ✭✭✭✭event

Bohermeen Half gone virtual, 10k & 5k added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

Wottle wrote: »
    Berlin half moved from April to August.

Hamburg Marathon at the end of April gone, always knew it would be a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Things for early summer touch and go now...
    Expect any large events such as marathons with over 1000 entrants to bite the bullet by the end of Jan, or else a postponement to late August /early September.

I'd say looking at the traditional calendar based on events I'm familiar with

- Connemarathon ??, no deferral seems to be in the works, would be a great event mid summer though
    - Cork to be postponed to first weekend in Sept (mirroring 2020 plans)
    - Limerick to be postponed to first weekend in Oct (mirroring 2020 plans)
    - Dublin - will have to decide early summer as we look to leave restrictions, should be ok
    - Belfast - 19th Sept 2021

- Raheny - virtual
    - Bohermeen - virtual
    - Cara Bundoran series - March - unlikely to go ahead on that date
    - Royal Canal run Longford - April 18th - unlikely to go ahead on that date
    - Great Ireland Run - nothing yet, April 2021 not likely to happen
    - Athletics Ireland race series - due to start May - likely deferred to June
    - Dublin Marathon race series - due to start late May - likely deferred to June

- IMRA events - no calendar finalized yet, pending new year restrictions confirmation

So looks like by early Feb we will have a raft of postponements until July earliest, means a very busy late summer and autumn but little or nothing before June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Oiriallach wrote: »
    I wonder how the National Senior Indoor Championships will work if they are allowed to go ahead (assuming that only 50 people will be allowed to be present at any one time).

It shouldn't be much of a problem really, as there won't be to many running in each event. It will be just a matter of adjusting the start times to ensure they comply with restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am not sure if we will have any major races this year. A lot of younger people won't be vaccinated until the fall of the year or later.

Having thousands of people gathered together at a start line is unlikely. We still don't how long a vaccine will protect for.

I see a couple of young fit soccer players at Newcastle have suffered very badly with the virus as well. According to the manager Steve Bruce they can barely walk for 30 mins and are having to go back to bed because of fatigue.

Who knows though, maybe once the health service is happy it won't be inundated with sick older people things will be allowed to open up and you take your chances. I'd imagine numbers for big marathons will be well down initially at least. It might make it easier to get into the big ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

Ceepo wrote: »
    It shouldn't be much of a problem really, as there won't be to many running in each event. It will be just a matter of adjusting the start times to ensure they comply with restrictions.

Well, 43 ran in the heats of the men's 60m in the 2020 championships. I would expect entries to be higher if the 2021 championships go ahead (due to the scarcity of other indoor competitions). So there could easily be more than 50 athletes in that single event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Oiriallach wrote: »
    Well, 43 ran in the heats of the men's 60m in the 2020 championships. I would expect entries to be higher if the 2021 championships go ahead (due to the scarcity of other indoor competitions). So there could easily be more than 50 athletes in that single event.

I reckon no chance it goes ahead. The dates were conveniently announced a day or two after Feidhlim's excellent podcast slating AAI for their lack of communication and planning.

The language of officialdom is shifting a lot now in the last week.
    Concerts, sporting audiences and mass participation look to be in the far distant future once again, no great urgency in the eyes of health officials who dictate policy at this stage.
    Going to be a long 6 months to summer...

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I reckon no chance it goes ahead. The dates were conveniently announced a day or two after Feidhlim's excellent podcast slating AAI for their lack of communication and planning.

100% agree with you on the timing of the announcement, and I also don't see it going ahead.
    The only thing is the Euro indoor champs are still due to go ahead in March, it would be a shame if Ireland had no entries due to not holding a championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

100% agree with you on the timing of the announcement, and I also don't see it going ahead.
    The only thing is the Euro indoor champs are still due to go ahead in March, it would be a shame if Ireland had no entries due to not holding a championship.

Carded Irish athletics have been warned not to travel abroad to race by Sport Ireland, or face punishment. Yet there's no races at home. How can one prepare for a championships under such restrictions.

Carded Irish athletics have been warned not to travel abroad to race by Sport Ireland, or face punishment. Yet there's no races at home. How can one prepare for a championships under such restrictions.

You're around top elite athletes long enough to know how the system actually works, and not how it should work.
    Athletics Ireland is a joke and lack leadership for decades.

Fair play to Feidhlim and the DTC crew, at least they are showing some initiative.
    Great performance from them at the weekend, with Sean Tobin running 28.30 and a host by others running pb's. Just a shame they had to travel to Belfast to race.
    I know that Moyne AC looked for a permit to hold something similar over the Christmas period and were refused a permit.

I've finished up work a bit early this christmas and enjoying the vast amount of sport on TV, Cycling indoors and cross, Darts, Skiing, Golf, Horse racing, Moto cross, Gaa and dare I say Football. ALL these sports are able to to plans in place to hold events for the athletes.
    Shame our athletes are missing out :mad:

When you say carded, what exactly does that mean? Silly question i bet, but silly season

When you say carded, what exactly does that mean? Silly question i bet, but silly season

Carded athletes receive a performance based grant and are funded by the Irish sports Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Carded athletes receive a performance based grant and are funded by the Irish sports Council.

ie. they’re not average runners average runner :)

TbL

ie. they’re not average runners average runner :)

TbL

Better keep my day job so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Any opinions on whether Connemarathon will go ahead in April? I was considering the Ultra and have been training with that in mind, but I'm unsure if I want to do this volume of training for a race that might not happen. Now with the country going back into full lockdowns is an April race feasible, even with the vaccine now being distributed?

Any opinions on whether Connemarathon will go ahead in April? I was considering the Ultra and have been training with that in mind, but I'm unsure if I want to do this volume of training for a race that might not happen. Now with the country going back into full lockdowns is an April race feasible, even with the vaccine now being distributed?

No chance I’d have thought, don’t they bus people to the start?

Can’t see any marathon (of size) happening till at least the back end of the summer

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

No chance I’d have thought, don’t they bus people to the start?

Can’t see any marathon (of size) happening till at least the back end of the summer

TbL

If we get out of Inter County Restrictions there will be some small ones.

There was 3in3 organized for 28th.29th and 30th but that got scuppered by the reintroduction of whatever the government deemed to be Level 5 this time

ger664 wrote: »
    If we get out of Inter County Restrictions there will be some small ones.

There was 3in3 organized for 28th.29th and 30th but that got scuppered by the reintroduction of whatever the government deemed to be Level 5 this time

How are things Ger

Happy New Year

TbL

How are things Ger

Happy New Year

TbL

Ok C

Got a + Covid test on Christmas EVE thankfully no one else in the family circle picked it up from me. Symptoms where mild but It has left some nasty side effects. Blood Pressure was extremely high seems to have stabilized now but I still have shortness of breath, loss of taste, and and I get bouts of coughing where nothing comes up.

Still vertical so that's always a good starting point for us auld lads.

Ok C

Got a + Covid test on Christmas EVE thankfully no one else in the family circle picked it up from me. Symptoms where mild but It has left some nasty side effects. Blood Pressure was extremely high seems to have stabilized now but I still have shortness of breath, loss of taste, and and I get bouts of coughing where nothing comes up.

Sounds rough enough. Any idea how u got it?
    Dont have to answer that question.

Hope u recover fully soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ok C

Ah f*ck, that's some Christmas present. Hope you're over the worst now. Get better soon!

Ok C

Jesus! All the best for a speedy recovery.

I’m sure you’ll be fine I’ve seen you at many a finish line with shortness of breath, coughing and gagging and you recovered quick enough :)

TbL

Sounds rough enough. Any idea how u got it?
    Dont have to answer that question.

Hope u recover fully soon

Cheers

From the one area the government allow. I work in IT and have contract work with a lot of GP's so I have been extremely busy all year.

Surface contact (keyboard mouse) from a Desktop I was configuring for a temp nurse in a surgery. She showed symptoms a couple of days later. I was only tested as a precaution.

• Advertisement

Can't see how something that would depend on shuttle buses will go ahead.
    Don't see Connemarathon in 2021 at all unfortunately given how much sh1te the HSE find themselves in now.
    Vaccination schedule seems to be screwed based on lack of people to administer it due to lack of hiring and illness. Also given the IT systems aren't in place to keep any track of daily cases over 2000, how are they going to manage 4 million plus vaccinations...

Advertisement