Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

This talk of people continuing to wear masks post herd immunity vaccine rollout doesn't sit well, it should be shot down now.

If it gives those people peace of mind let them at it. Nobody is causing anyone else any harm by wearing a mask.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This talk of people continuing to wear masks post herd immunity vaccine rollout doesn't sit well, it should be shot down now.

Regardless of if the entire world is vaccinated tomorrow, I am hoping that I can wear a mask in public this summer to cut down on issues with pollen without it looking wierd. Next year I'll have to be back to hoping the other drugs work, but it was one of the few good things last year not suffering so much with the hay-fever.

It will take time for mask wearing and social distancing to disappear, but it will. We may find a new distance that people are comfortable with standing next to each other, but there were differences between different countries before this as to what was considered appropriate personal space socially. Might not be too much of a change for us, but can think of some other European countries where they may not be standing as close as they used to for a while.

Will take time for us all to find a new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Surely if the vaccination program is on target and progressing by mid May or early June when DCM need to make a call they will go ahead any plan for it to go ahead?
    I can't see how the general population will accept not being able to attend concerts/events/sporting arena when they have done what was asked and taken the vaccine?

It won't be DCM's call if they will go ahead.
    I expect they have developed several scenarios based on event size and expected vaccine rollout/immunity, but the ultimate decision will be the relevant authorities to approve that and I expect they have other priorities top of mind currently.
    I'm sure each scenario also has a decision by XX date milestone that if it crosses there would not be enough time to plan a quality event, which in reality will require additional work this year if it's to include stricter controls around the movement of people, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

OOnegative wrote: »
    If it gives those people peace of mind let them at it. Nobody is causing anyone else any harm by wearing a mask.

Wearing a mask is like people wearing a hat indoors.

Doesn't see the norm, but if it makes them happy causing no harm to anyone, then let it be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

DCM could do staggered starts from 6 am to 12 noon maybe?

Lots of logistics and would reduce the feel a bit, but if a wave went off every hour, and Merrion park and Stephen's green were opened to cater for people waiting, it might work.

6 am elites and Wheelchairs
    7 am sub 3
    8 am sub 3.30
    9 am sub 4
    10 am sub 5
    11 am sub 6
    12 noon everyone else with the course closing at 7 pm

Faster off first so no issues with overtaking

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lots of logistics and would reduce the feel a bit, but if a wave went off every hour, and Merrion park and Stephen's green were opened to cater for people waiting, it might work.

7 am sub 3
    8 am sub 3.30
    9 am sub 4
    10 am sub 5
    11 am sub 6

Closing the roads for 13 hours? No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Closing the roads for 13 hours? No chance.

Intermittent rolling road closures then!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You've also got the elites finishing before even the 3:30 people start with that schedule so would need tweaking a fair bit as the finish is essentially in the same place as the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Even pessimistic estimates suggest everyone who wants a vaccine will have it by late October. Really don't see the point in those measures if everyone is vaccinated (and screw the anti-vaxxers, let them get covid if they want to). Back to the good old days of inhaling toxic sweat from each other's armpits in the start boxes :pac:

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Wearing a mask is like people wearing a hat indoors.

Doesn't see the norm, but if it makes them happy causing no harm to anyone, then let it be

Not so. My son was travelling with me in my work van for 45 minutes the day before I tested positive. He never got corvid.

I had the same opinion as you that day but have since revised it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

There will come a day when they have to give the country back to the people and let them live.
    Within reason this should be when anyone that wants and needs the vaccine is given it and not a day later.

The failure of the Govt and HSE to give people back their freedoms in a prompt fashion would be remembered, the Gardai know people are tired now, they are showing their sense of the mood of the people by their restraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There will come a day when they have to give the country back to the people and let them live.
    Within reason this should be when anyone that wants and needs the vaccine is given it and not a day later.

The failure of the Govt and HSE to give people back their freedoms in a prompt fashion would be remembered, the Gardai know people are tired now, they are showing their sense of the mood of the people by their restraint.

:rolleyes:

Murph_D wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

So you are happy to be subservient to Dr Tony for as long as he says so?
    Health minister not very forthcoming with timelines for herd immunity, no rush says you?

So you are happy to be subservient to Dr Tony for as long as he says so?
    Health minister not very forthcoming with timelines for herd immunity, no rush says you?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I’ve said it before:

It’s hard to overestimate the optimism of the amateur epidemiologist.

I’ve said it before:

Speak for yourself, some us have good health and long lives ahead of us, I suppose older folks like yourself like to be lead for fear of the unknown.

I prefer to see the world through the eyes of my young kids, life is for living, the sooner the better.
    You are on the way down the far side, careful now you don't catch a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

7 am sub 3
    8 am sub 3.30
    9 am sub 4
    10 am sub 5
    11 am sub 6

Jaysus, the organisers will have earned their post event socially distanced pints!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Speak for yourself, some us have good health and long lives ahead of us, I suppose older folks like yourself like to be lead for fear of the unknown.

I prefer to see the world through the eyes of my young kids, life is for living, the sooner the better.

Oh will you stop embarrassing yourself. Two months ago you were banging on about unnecessary lock downs yet a slight easing of lockdowns over Christmas has led to many who think like you costing hundreds their lives and driving the health service to the brink. All brought about by people wanting to live life at a time when its cretinous to do so.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Oh will you stop embarrassing yourself. Two months ago you were banging on about unnecessary lock downs yet a slight easing of lockdowns over Christmas has led to many who think like you costing hundreds their lives and driving the health service to the brink. All brought about by people wanting to live life at a time when its cretinous to do so.

People die everyday, most from preventable causes, the world turns.
    Any idea what happened to the winter flu numbers in Ireland this past few months?

You do realise as many died from flu last winter as will die from Covid this winter? Does that mean we should lockdown every winter from now on?

ger664 wrote: »
    Not so. My son was travelling with me in my work van for 45 minutes the day before I tested positive. He never got corvid.

I had the same opinion as you that day but have since revised it.

Have heard of some families where all but one of the household get it, or couples still sharing a bed and the other doesn't get it (literally testing negative), some people obvsiously have a natural immunity to it.

• Advertisement

People die everyday, most from preventable causes, the world turns.
    Any idea what happened to the winter flu numbers in Ireland this past few months?

You do realise as many died from flu last winter as will die from Covid this winter? Does that mean we should lockdown every winter from now on?

Yes, the flu numbers reduced hugely thanks to it being significantly less transmissible than Covid and to the social distancing, sanitising, mask wearing among other measures.

Your second question is ignorant of so many facts that I wouldn't waste my breath trying to explain simple facts or comparisons to you.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yes, the flu numbers reduced hugely thanks to it being significantly less transmissible than Covid and to the social distancing, sanitising, mask wearing among other measures.

Your second question is ignorant of so many facts that I wouldn't waste my breath trying to explain simple facts or comparisons to you.

And increased uptake of the flu vaccine + people having the ****ing cop on to stay at home when they're feeling sick and possibly not getting tested. I had what I'm 99.9% sure was flu last February, I wasn't 'tested' for it so wouldn't be in the numbers for 2020.

Anyway, this crap is off topic really so lets get back to discussing the probability of events going ahead.

Anyway, this crap is off topic really so lets get back to discussing the probability of events going ahead.

Yeah sorry. I couldn't let the personal nature of the reply to Murph_D go without comment....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubhurler4

I wonder will Cork Marathon go ahead at the start of June?

Dubhurler4 wrote: »

I would say highly unlikely to definitely not....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Dont think we will have large scale races in Ireland until the GAA is back to near full capacity at games.

My entry for Madrid 2020 was deffered until Spring 2022 last August and I expect the same for other countries.

I would like to think Valencia or San Sebastian go ahead in November this year but the numbers and international travelers may be limited or not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I’ve said it before:

now dat is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Dubhurler4 wrote: »

I'm hoping to enter it and I'm thinking it won't be on.

I've a race rescheduled from last year to March and I'm waiting for them to decide whether to reschedule again or just refund people their money - can't see it going ahead atall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,029 ✭✭✭✭event

7 am sub 3
    8 am sub 3.30
    9 am sub 4
    10 am sub 5
    11 am sub 6

Id say the problem is moreso all the spectators on the streets

Have you had COVID?

I have. I am a healthy 39 year old, running for last 10 years. Have done about 9 marathons, 12 half marathons, have done charity cycling events of 200k, have done duathlons in the mountains, in May I did the 4/4/48 challenge (4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours). I still play football and would be considered pretty healthy and fit.

Ever since COVID I struggle to run 3 miles and I am tired by about 20:00 each day.

So dont be putting up rubbish like "its a cold". Its far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just saw on Facebook that an guy in his 40s in Waterford Orienteering Club has died from it :(

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement