Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Corona Virus and events

1656668707173

Comments



  • Temporarily closing to allow Mods to review some posts




  • There is some continued discussion in relation to posts in this thread, we will reopen as soon as we can.




  • E0kj6SIX0AQD1iT?format=jpg




  • I think the end of June is going to be too soon for them to be able to make the call of a yes. If they were able to delay a decision until the beginning of August I'd be more hopeful of a positive outcome




  • robinph wrote: »
    I think the end of June is going to be too soon for them to be able to make the call of a yes. If they were able to delay a decision until the beginning of August I'd be more hopeful of a positive outcome

    Yeah agreed. That might be able to confirm a scaled down version by then but not a 20,000 event.


  • Advertisement


  • Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Yeah agreed. That might be able to confirm a scaled down version by then but not a 20,000 event.

    The question is how they scale back...
    They mentioned they already refunded 10% of entries last summer, so that's already 2,500 gone.
    Also they said approx 20% were overseas entries, if they limit it to people on the island it's another 5,000 gone.
    So it could be anywhere between 17,000 to 20,000 at present that are left in the hat.
    How do they cut that down further?

    Can't see them getting the green light by the end of June myself, but at least the discussion is started now and they can press leaders and councils/Gardai for a decision with some public dialogue being had in advance. Kite flying seems to work for FG.




  • Have in my head it's not happening anyway, so as long as my entry carrys over from 2020 to 2022 I'll be happy




  • Would entering Dublin virtual help towards the new lottery system in future years?




  • deisedude wrote: »
    Would entering Dublin virtual help towards the new lottery system in future years?

    Highly unlikely in my opinion.




  • The only thing the virtual entries help with is guaranteeing an income stream for DCM who potentially will have gone two years with no in person event to speak of.


  • Advertisement


  • Almost like Texas and Florida doesn't exist...funny that.

    The paddies wondering if an outside mass event can happen in OCTOBER with all the vulnerable and at-risk people in the country fully vaccinated...meanwhile in Florida UFC are hosting max capacity 15,000 indoor events in APRIL and in Texas the Texas Rangers outdoor baseball games happening at full capacity.

    Boris has also said social distancing and all Covid restrictions should be lifted by end of July in the UK.

    Ireland is an embarrassing country with embarrassing leadership.




  • MayoSalmon wrote: »

    Ireland is an embarrassing country with embarrassing leadership.

    Death rates per 1,000,000 population

    UK- 1,904
    USA - 1,755
    Florida- 1,640
    Texas- 1,730
    Ireland- 993

    _114779550__114752454_johnsontrump2_e.jpg

    Im not agreeing or disagreeing with current policies or how things have been handled but the grass is always greener.....





  • Yes: “A trial event could have been facilitated (but) it was shot down. There are sports rolling up their sleeves and being proactive."

    ...

    zzzZZZZ




  • The question is how they scale back...
    They mentioned they already refunded 10% of entries last summer, so that's already 2,500 gone.
    Also they said approx 20% were overseas entries, if they limit it to people on the island it's another 5,000 gone.
    So it could be anywhere between 17,000 to 20,000 at present that are left in the hat.
    How do they cut that down further?

    Can't see them getting the green light by the end of June myself, but at least the discussion is started now and they can press leaders and councils/Gardai for a decision with some public dialogue being had in advance. Kite flying seems to work for FG.



    Some people may no longer wish to take part. So 15000 max will take part.

    If govt figures on vaccines are accurate for end of June, no reason to stop it. Supply seems far more reliable now too.

    Varadkar talking about August as being as close to normal as can be expected.




  • Death rates per 1,000,000 population

    UK- 1,904
    USA - 1,755
    Florida- 1,640
    Texas- 1,730
    Ireland- 993

    _114779550__114752454_johnsontrump2_e.jpg

    Im not agreeing or disagreeing with current policies or how things have been handled but the grass is always greener.....

    Sigh we have had and we still have the longest lockdown in the world..you would think the figures would be much lower than that but no there actually comparable which tell you how much of waste of time the last 15 months have been. The grass is also plenty greener is other countries that beat our death rates per captia like Norway, Canada, Malta, etc.

    But anyways the point still remains the Paddy's still can't find a way to host an outdoor fitness event with all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated...it is beyond embarrassing.




  • Death rates per 1,000,000 population

    UK- 1,904
    USA - 1,755
    Florida- 1,640
    Texas- 1,730
    Ireland- 993

    _114779550__114752454_johnsontrump2_e.jpg

    Im not agreeing or disagreeing with current policies or how things have been handled but the grass is always greener.....

    Ireland has the youngest population in the EU. How it compares to USA and UK I'm not sure, but I suspect they have older populations.




  • MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Sigh we have had and we still have the longest lockdown in the world..you would think the figures would be much lower than that but no there actually comparable which tell you how much of waste of time the last 15 months have been. The grass is also plenty greener is other countries that beat our death rates per captia like Norway, Canada, Malta, etc.

    But anyways the point still remains the Paddy's still can't find a way to host an outdoor fitness event with all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated...it is beyond embarrassing.

    Comparable yes... 50 % lower than USA death rate and 44% lower than UK.

    Average ages of population

    uk =40.1
    us = 38.1
    Eu= 43.7
    Ireland = 37.8

    I'd be hopeful of DCM happening in October. Late June might be a difficult deadline for a decision but if they can kick the can down the road for a decision in late July or August then the odds will be significantly better.

    As I said, I'm not arguing for or against. I just find some of your comments hysterical and inaccurate i.e "all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated". Did I miss this bit of news? Anyway, I have resisted this thread for 14 months, Im going to start resisting again, ciao :D




  • Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ireland has the youngest population in the EU. How it compares to USA and UK I'm not sure, but I suspect they have older populations.

    The difference in the age structures is much less than the difference in the death rates.




  • Murph_D wrote: »
    The difference in the age structures is much less than the difference in the death rates.

    Would be interesting to see the numbers in USA in states that have high population density and low population density. Ireland has much lower population density compared to UK. What are the numbers like in Scotland which would be more comparable to Ireland?

    That said, I've very little ounces of interest left in it at this stage. Track season around the corner so time to just get on with it.


  • Advertisement


  • We can speculate all we like but its out of our control. Get your jab, train for it and if it happens it happens.




  • Chivito550 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see the numbers in USA in states that have high population density and low population density. Ireland has much lower population density compared to UK. What are the numbers like in Scotland which would be more comparable to Ireland?

    That said, I've very little ounces of interest left in it at this stage. Track season around the corner so time to just get on with it.

    I’ve very little interest in discussing this topic on the internet either, but the population density statistics you refer to seem to be readily available, as are regional covid rates.





  • As I said, I'm not arguing for or against. I just find some of your comments hysterical and inaccurate i.e "all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated". Did I miss this bit of news? Anyway, I have resisted this thread for 14 months, Im going to start resisting again, ciao :D

    Are we now saying by the end of October we won't have all the vulnerable/at risk people in Ireland vaccinated?:confused::confused:




  • Murph_D wrote: »
    Highly unlikely in my opinion.
    robinph wrote: »
    The only thing the virtual entries help with is guaranteeing an income stream for DCM who potentially will have gone two years with no in person event to speak of.

    Thanks for the replies lads. My last DCM was 2017 so I guess the odds will be stacked against me with lotteries the next few years with the pent up demand.

    That said I can barely run 2.6 miles at the moment :P




  • MayoSalmon wrote: »
    But anyways the point still remains the Paddy's still can't find a way to host an outdoor fitness event with all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated...it is beyond embarrassing.

    Not as much as self loathing and this Paddy bull****.




  • Hurrache wrote: »
    Not as much as self loathing and this Paddy bull****.

    Ah if only...we now need the EU and other member states to save the Paddies from themselves.

    https://twitter.com/fulviomartuscie/status/1389520284915535873




  • Maybe you're spending to much time staring down at that cap in your hand in deference to every other country in the world you personally deem as your better.




  • MayoSalmon wrote: »
    But anyways the point still remains the Paddy's still can't find a way to host an outdoor fitness event with all the vunerable people in the country vaccinated...it is beyond embarrassing.

    Do you think that running an event the size of the DCM is just a case of standing a few people in hi-viz jackets on the side of the road.

    The shear logistics of just putting together an event plan covering all possible eventualities, making sure you have enough medical staff (most of whom are currently involved with test/vaccination centres), making sure you have enough security staff, ensuring safety around bag drops, portable loos, staggered start (if possible), drink/gel stations, spectators yay or nay. Insurance costs will have increased etc etc. All of this to me, very much puts in doubt a DCM as we know it going ahead. I'm sorry for all the 'runners' who miss their races, but personally I'm gutted for all of the charities and the millions they will lose out on again.

    You remind me of those people who turn up at 9-25 on a Saturday morning, do their parkrun get into their car and head home, who never see all the work that goes into setting up a parkrun.




  • Hurrache wrote: »
    Maybe you're spending to much time staring down at that cap in your hand in deference to every other country in the world you personal deem as your better.

    The longest lockdown in the WORLD:pac::pac:

    Ah the way people are going on in this thread even after all the science that has been revealed about the virus over the last 15 months we may still not have a marathon in 2023 ya know to be sure to be sure...

    Anyways I have nothing further to add to this thread best of luck with all your training.


  • Advertisement


  • MayoSalmon wrote: »
    The longest lockdown in the WORLD:pac::pac:

    Ah the way people are going on in this thread even after all the science that has been revealed about the virus over the last 15 months we may still not have a marathon in 2023 ya know to be sure to be sure...

    Anyways I have nothing further to add to this thread best of luck with all your training.

    If I hated where I live as much as you, I'd move.


Advertisement