Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can't see how something that would depend on shuttle buses will go ahead.
    Don't see Connemarathon in 2021 at all unfortunately given how much sh1te the HSE find themselves in now.
    Vaccination schedule seems to be screwed based on lack of people to administer it due to lack of hiring and illness. Also given the IT systems aren't in place to keep any track of daily cases over 2000, how are they going to manage 4 million plus vaccinations...

They managed the flu vaccine for the kids pretty well. IT system is probably written in cobol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭opus

Read today that the Donadea 50k in Feb has bit the dust, not exactly a surprise. That was the last event I took part in last year coincidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ger664 wrote: »
    Cheers

From the one area the government allow. I work in IT and have contract work with a lot of GP's so I have been extremely busy all year.

Surface contact (keyboard mouse) from a Desktop I was configuring for a temp nurse in a surgery. She showed symptoms a couple of days later. I was only tested as a precaution.

Jaysis. That sounds so avoidable (my own job has placed me in a similar position so I tend to have the map in front of me, so to speak) but so easy to let the guard down as time grinds on. Hope you recover well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ger664 wrote: »
    Cheers

From the one area the government allow. I work in IT and have contract work with a lot of GP's so I have been extremely busy all year.

Surface contact (keyboard mouse) from a Desktop I was configuring for a temp nurse in a surgery. She showed symptoms a couple of days later. I was only tested as a precaution.

Jeez Ger that is crappy but shows how easily it can be transmitted and makes me glad I'm still washing the shopping :pac:

Get well soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

opus wrote: »
    Read today that the Donadea 50k in Feb has bit the dust, not exactly a surprise. That was the last event I took part in last year coincidentally.

Just curious: where did you read that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

echancrure wrote: »
    Just curious: where did you read that?

It’s on there Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

OOnegative wrote: »
    It’s on there Facebook page.

Thanks finally found it. Facebook is such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Donadea 50Km cancellation notice.
    echancrure wrote: »
    Thanks finally found it. Facebook is such a mess.

It's the way they've set up Donadea 50Km on Facebook. They're using a public group which means anyone and everyone can post whatever they want which leaves the important info like event cancellation gets lost. Easier ways of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

With the start to the year we've had you have to feel the opening up of events has been forced back again now.

The vaccine seems to be in the background with all that's happening this week, unreal to think that after waiting so long for it that it's not the main agenda...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

With the start to the year we've had you have to feel the opening up of events has been forced back again now.

The vaccine seems to be in the background with all that's happening this week, unreal to think that after waiting so long for it that it's not the main agenda...
    They can't begin to go into care homes to vaccinate while there is so much of the virus in the care homes :( And they have started front line workers. It will take months before we see the benefits of the vaccine unfortunately.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    They can't begin to go into care homes to vaccinate while there is so much of the virus in the care homes :( And they have started front line workers. It will take months before we see the benefits of the vaccine unfortunately.

Yeah my Dad is in a nursing home, 2 people tested positive for covid yesterday, was due to get vaccine next week, now have to wait till end of the month

Not sure what you mean. They are using the doses they have and will continue to do that. Supply is 35,000 a week.

It will pick up speed when more the get approved.

Yeah my Dad is in a nursing home, 2 people tested positive for covid yesterday, was due to get vaccine next week, now have to wait till end of the month

I'm very sorry to hear of your personal situation but unfortunately this is the situation all over the country. I sincerely hope your dad will get the vaccine at the end of the month and those cases don't spread any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Not sure what you mean. They are using the doses they have and will continue to do that. Supply is 35,000 a week.

It will pick up speed when more the get approved.

Less than 2000 in the 1st week, it's off to a slow start. It could be a very long time before we see the quoted 80% heard immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ceepo wrote: »
    Less than 2000 in the 1st week, it's off to a slow start. It could be a very long time before we see the quoted 80% heard immunity

Is there a tracker anywhere that shows daily vaccination numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Ah right, that's the one I have. Was hoping there would be an Irish one with much more detail.
    Would be nice to get these numbers reported daily, rather than just the daily ritual of misery reported to us.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Is there a tracker anywhere that shows daily vaccination numbers?

I haven't seen one specific to Ireland, My information was based on professor of immunology on Newstalk this evening, sorry but I can't remember her name.

Ceepo wrote: »
    I haven't seen one specific to Ireland, My information was based on professor of immunology on Newstalk this evening, sorry but I can't remember her name.

The current outbreak will slow everything down. Nursing homes can't get the vaccine if covid present in it. Same will apply everywhere else.

We should of kept the lockdown for xmas and this could of been avoided.

The germans and dutch had the right idea.

The current outbreak will slow everything down. Nursing homes can't get the vaccine if covid present in it. Same will apply everywhere else.

We should of kept the lockdown for xmas and this could of been avoided.

The germans and dutch had the right idea.

Well if they can't get the vaccines to certain care homes because of Covid outbreaks, they should be getting the vaccines to other groups in the meantime. Sitting around twiddling their thumbs benefits nobody.

• Advertisement

Well if they can't get the vaccines to certain care homes because of Covid outbreaks, they should be getting the vaccines to other groups in the meantime. Sitting around twiddling their thumbs benefits nobody.

It also applies to hospital staff and other vulnerable groups. The virus is rampant out there so getting hard to get to the correct groups.

They aren't twiddling their thumbs either.

I don't think anybody is twiddling their thumbs. Things can seem frustratingly slow (probably due to bureaucracy) but I'm sure the individuals involved are working flat out. My sister in law got the vaccine this morning and her report is that the vaccination clinic was full on, multiple rooms going, queues of staff (front line) and a real positive buzz about the place. Keep the faith.

ariana` wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is twiddling their thumbs. Things can seem frustratingly slow (probably due to bureaucracy) but I'm sure the individuals involved are working flat out. My sister in law got the vaccine this morning and her report is that the vaccination clinic was full on, multiple rooms going, queues of staff (front line) and a real positive buzz about the place. Keep the faith.

I hope the rollout will be quick and run smoothly. I really fear that by summer we will be well behind our European counterparts in this regard and will be among the last to come out of restrictions. Our health system isn't in good shape.

I hope the rollout will be quick and run smoothly. I really fear that by summer we will be well behind our European counterparts in this regard and will be among the last to come out of restrictions. Our health system isn't in good shape.

Do you need to have a covid test first to prove you don't have the virus before the vaccine?

We are waiting for the Oxford vaccine as we can let the gp's give that out easily and faster. Like they did for the kids flu vaccine. They did a great job there

Do you need to have a covid test first to prove you don't have the virus before the vaccine?

We are waiting for the Oxford vaccine as we can let the gp's give that out easily and faster. Like they did for the kids flu vaccine. They did a great job there

If that was the requirement, then it will be 5 years before we vaccinate everyone.

I sincerely hope not.

If that was the requirement, then it will be 5 years before we vaccinate everyone.

I sincerely hope not.

I know you can't get it if you have covid!!!!

Were you able to access a track lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't see why possibly having Covid should be an issue for getting the vaccine.

I know you can't get it if you have covid!!!!

Were you able to access a track lately?

Got onto indoor track in Abbotstown for 4 sessions in December. Back to square one now.

Stark wrote: »
    Don't see why possibly having Covid should be an issue for getting the vaccine.

Immune system probably couldn't cope.

If you have had covid previously, and are recovered then you can receive the vaccine
    The 1st care home resident to receive the vaccine had recovered from covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Shot in the dark stuff but if you had to pick a month when we see small local 5k or 10k races with less than 200 people start back what month would you pick? I'm going to pick April but I've no scientific data or analysis. It's a hopeful guess! When do ye think?

Advertisement