Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing three houses atm, great little game but tough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Playing three houses atm, great little game but tough enough.

Great game. Was my first Fire emblem game and was a bit of a steep learning curve for me. I think one of the shoulder buttons highlights the enemies range of attack so I generally kept that on and never really moved into their range unless I knew I could kill them, they'll come to you for the most part

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

skerry wrote: »
    Great game. Was my first Fire emblem game and was a bit of a steep learning curve for me. I think one of the shoulder buttons highlights the enemies range of attack so I generally kept that on and never really moved into their range unless I knew I could kill them, they'll come to you for the most part

I took on what I assume was the first boss last night
    the dude wielding the lance changed into a demon
    , they gave me fierce trouble, eventually got them though, playing on the lowest difficulty as well.

I took on what I assume was the first boss last night
    the dude wielding the lance changed into a demon
    , they gave me fierce trouble, eventually got them though, playing on the lowest difficulty as well.

Had trouble with monster type bosses myself at first. You need to save your gambits to break the shield tiles. Once all shield tiles are broken boss misses a full turn so you can go full ham on him then and take out the rest of his health bars with strong attacks

Had trouble with monster type bosses myself at first. You need to save your gambits to break the shield tiles. Once all shield tiles are broken boss misses a full turn so you can go full ham on him then and take out the rest of his health bars with strong attacks

I only had two lads left, they took everyone else out :eek:!

• Advertisement

I only had two lads left, they took everyone else out :eek:!

Perry sure it took me a few restarts of that battle to make it to the boss with enough in reserve to take him down. Presume your not playing the perma death option for team members, I wasnt able for that kind of stress myself

No perma death but next play through I might .

Still plugging away at Final Fantasy VII. Finding it tough going at times though. I'm right at the end of Disc 1 now. Just did the Wutai side quest, maybe we're a bit more spoon fed as gamers these days but I have no clue how anyone would be expected to complete that without the use of a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Still plugging away at Final Fantasy VII. Finding it tough going at times though. I'm right at the end of Disc 1 now. Just did the Wutai side quest, maybe we're a bit more spoon fed as gamers these days but I have no clue how anyone would be expected to complete that without the use of a guide.

As in chasing Yuffie around or the five level.boss battle thing?

Not sure I remember any mystery in following a abdly disguised Yuffie around Wutai tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Schoolyard crowd-sourcing.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    As in chasing Yuffie around or the five level.boss battle thing?

Not sure I remember any mystery in following a abdly disguised Yuffie around Wutai tbh

Just with hidden doors and the blurry backgrounds it's hard to know where the hell your supposed to be going. I would have been at it for the night if I hadn't looked at a guide. Last boss spams the **** out of cura then so he took forever

• Registered Users Posts: 18,080 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Alaxander materia only ever did it once back in 1998 never again even with a step by step YouTube guide will go down with beating the ocarina on 64 water temple as my did I really do that gaming moments.

Just with hidden doors and the blurry backgrounds it's hard to know where the hell your supposed to be going. I would have been at it for the night if I hadn't looked at a guide. Last boss spams the **** out of cura then so he took forever

God 12 year old didn't have any trouble.

Cant say I could ever accuse a PS1 era FF onwards of being confusing in terms of where to go next.

Like, she leaves the screen, you follow her, you then see her leave again, etc or you see her badly disguised, the game practically tells you about a hidden passage when you corner her in a corridor and she disappears into this air.

Anyway, I dunno, maybe an generational thing

God 12 year old didn't have any trouble.

Cant say I could ever accuse a PS1 era FF onwards of being confusing in terms of where to go next.

Like, she leaves the screen, you follow her, you then see her leave again, etc or you see her badly disguised, the game practically tells you about a hidden passage when you corner her in a corridor and she disappears into this air.

Anyway, I dunno, maybe an generational thing

Well that told me then. Sorry, did I say it was hard to follow, I meant easy, always get those 2 mixed up.

Well that told me then. Sorry, did I say it was hard to follow, I meant easy, always get those 2 mixed up.

Im just surprised.

Im just surprised.

This is from the guide I consulted, so unless that guide was solely aimed at a future me when it was written, then I'm not the only one who though the quest was a pain in the hole ;) Either that or I have a mental capacity inferior to a 12 year old.

"....attempting to get your Materia back which can be extremely frustrating to complete without a walkthrough or if it is your first time playing the game. In fact, many gamers have been known to give up at this point and restart their game!"

This is from the guide I consulted, so unless that guide was solely aimed at a future me when it was written, then I'm not the only one who though the quest was a pain in the hole ;) Either that or I have a mental capacity inferior to a 12 year old.

"....attempting to get your Materia back which can be extremely frustrating to complete without a walkthrough or if it is your first time playing the game. In fact, many gamers have been known to give up at this point and restart their game!"

That's absolutely bizarre? Restart a game you are 30-40 hours into?

Link me to that so I can see who this drama queen is!

Anyway, we are getting wildly fixated on this. I'd be interested to know if others had this problem given the relative lack of internet in 97/98 as a source.

That's absolutely bizarre? Restart a game you are 30-40 hours into?

Link me to that so I can see who this drama queen is!

Anyway, we are getting wildly fixated on this. I'd be interested to know if others had this problem given the relative lack of internet in 97/98 as a source.

It's from the Jegged guide. I think the part about restarting the game is if you were stupid enough to only have one save file and save over that after Yuffi stole your materia and then get beaten by the boss and be unable to get your materia back then.

I never played the game on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It's from the Jegged guide. I think the part about restarting the game is if you were stupid enough to only have one save file and save over that after Yuffi stole your materia and then get beaten by the boss and be unable to get your materia back then.

I never played the game on release.

Yeah i had to restart the game back in the day as i fecked myself over with just using one game file, i got stuck in a dungeon where there was no back tracking , and the only way out was going forward and i was under leveled for the boss and no random encounters to grind levels and it just wasnt possible.

Its a little bit further than where you are now, but back in the day, playstation memory cards werent exactly massive, so using loads of different saves was something you would try to avoid, i got a second memory card soon after that restart :(:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Always thought FF7 was a cake walk. My first playthrough I was so new to the genre I never knew you could equip accessories.

The only two difficulty spikes were the demon wall and the boss that grabs you in the sub dock. Demon wall is fine once you put characters in the
    He back row and the other guy isn't too bad once you get a good rhythm.

As for the blurry mess backgrounds, it is an issue with the recent releases. On a crt they look an awful lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Always thought FF7 was a cake walk. My first playthrough I was so new to the genre I never knew you could equip accessories.

The only two difficulty spikes were the demon wall and the boss that grabs you in the sub dock. Demon wall is fine once you put characters in the
    He back row and the other guy isn't too bad once you get a good rhythm.

As for the blurry mess backgrounds, it is an issue with the recent releases. On a crt they look an awful lot better.

Aye, Demon wall is what ****ed me, i was so underleveled back row swapping didnt help :(

nix wrote: »
    Yeah i had to restart the game back in the day as i fecked myself over with just using one game file, i got stuck in a dungeon where there was no back tracking , and the only way out was going forward and i was under leveled for the boss and no random encounters to grind levels and it just wasnt possible.

Its a little bit further than where you are now, but back in the day, playstation memory cards werent exactly massive, so using loads of different saves was something you would try to avoid, i got a second memory card soon after that restart :(:pac:

Forget how easy we have it these days alright with memory space. Just checked PS 1 memory card storage capacity there and its 1MB :eek: Makes more sense now why people would have been tripped up with only one save file.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Demon Wall is just badly designed. counter attacks that OHKO characters is bull****. Once you put them in the back row it's perfectly manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Forget how easy we have it these days alright with memory space. Just checked PS 1 memory card storage capacity there and its 1MB :eek: Makes more sense now why people would have been tripped up with only one save file.
    Especially if it was one of those multiblock save files.

Had to take a long break from videogames due to doing a play but started Atelier Ryza back up again and loving it. Just a great game to relax to.

In three houses are the storylines for each house very different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

In three houses are the storylines for each house very different ?

They are not that different for the first part of the game, but for the 2nd part the stories are very different, you need to play the game four times to see the whole story.

Finally caved and bought a 2DS XL. I see Fire Emblem Fate Conquest, Birthright and Echoes can be got for under 20 euro each. Any recommendations on which to go for first?

Gamestop have some 3DS games discounted to 19.99 at the moment. Thinking of popping into the local and picking up Persona Q2 and SMT Strange Journey Redux to get me started. They have Etrian Odyssey Nexus also but think the other 2 will keep me going for a while.

Any opinions on the above games as decent JRPG's or not? They seem a good price given that they are selling for around £40 - 50 on Amazon at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Xenji wrote: »
    They are not that different for the first part of the game, but for the 2nd part the stories are very different, you need to play the game four times to see the whole story.

Wish there was a way to just skip the first part of the game after beating it once. I played through the Edelgard and Golden Deer routes and couldn't face another run through the first half again.

Advertisement