Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's no the most amazing game ever, so far I doubt it will be Atelier Ayesha or Escher and Logy level, but it's just so relaxing and a whole heap of fun.... which is all you really need. It's a good return to form after the safe Lulua and the hit and miss Mysterious games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Slowly making my way through Dragon Quest XI on the Switch and it's a bit special isn't it? About 30 hours in and the story is holding me like nothing else in the series ever has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Slowly making my way through Dragon Quest XI on the Switch and it's a bit special isn't it? About 30 hours in and the story is holding me like nothing else in the series ever has.

Have you played Dragon Quest 5? That game is the strongest the series has ever been narratively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

With all these Persona 5 spinoffs I'm confused; is Switch getting the main game or not? I bounced off 4 really hard but would give 5 a shot if it came to Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

PostWoke wrote: »
    With all these Persona 5 spinoffs I'm confused; is Switch getting the main game or not? I bounced off 4 really hard but would give 5 a shot if it came to Switch.

Its not, depending on the reasons you gave up 4 I wouldn't recommend 5. Thought 4 was better paced personally. Though Golden was the version of it I ended up beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have you played Dragon Quest 5? That game is the strongest the series has ever been narratively.

I would play 4 first if you want the complete experience as it starts the Zenithia trilogy, narratively they are not linked but they share areas and NPCs do make mention of occurrences that happened in 4 during 5.

Atelier Ryza arrived today along with Super Robot Wars T, my Switch is going to busy till the end of the year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Atelier Ryza arrived today along with Super Robot Wars T, my Switch is going to busy till the end of the year.

Where did you get robot war t from xenji ? Had my eye on that on vgp but it's solout now for switch.

Where did you get robot war t from xenji ? Had my eye on that on vgp but it's solout now for switch.

Play-Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

All of the spinoffs...?
    A lot of collaborations alright.
    Royal isn't a spin off its an improved version.
    Scramble is a spin off, it's coming to Switch I think and is like Samurai Warriors style gameplay, the cast is a bit older.

You could probably read through the Persona 5 thread, whatever reasons put you off 4 you might find out there if it would suit but I'd probably say the same as the other post tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Managed to order a copy online of Dragon Quest XI: S for Switch from Cex. €40 pre Black Friday ain't a bad price.

Anyone know his Persona 5 Royal has been received?? It came out in Japan nearly a week ago.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Managed to order a copy online of Dragon Quest XI: S for Switch from Cex. €40 pre Black Friday ain't a bad price.

Anyone know his Persona 5 Royal has been received?? It came out in Japan nearly a week ago.
    Not heard yet but saw a lot of # don't spoil Royal or something, so maybe people trying not to say much, would love to know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

ERG89 wrote: »

Not particularly well due to dlc, which apparently contains a new ultimate form for Arsene. Game is still great though.

All of the spinoffs...?

It's getting a Musou and something else afaik, don't follow it too closely.

Surely they have to release Royal on Switch eventually, they just want people to double dip.

Does Royal fix that silly design choice that forces players home for the night after certain amounts of progression?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Still act one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Surely they have to release Royal on Switch eventually, they just want people to double dip.

Does Royal fix that silly design choice that forces players home for the night after certain amounts of progression?
    From what I've heard it is less restrictive about evening activities.

Not releasing Royal on the Switch is like scoring an own goal. It will sell like crazy on the system and is a perfect fit, especially in Japan.

The only thing keeping it from ever getting released I'd say is the engine. It's an in house engine and considering how long it took to develop the game I wouldn't be surprised that it's so tied to the PS3/4 architecture that the whole engine is a mess and near impossible to port without a straight up rebuild from the ground up. It's kind of telling that SMT5 is going to be UE4 (and that's taking forever as well).

The Musou game is Scramble
    I'm following it but outside colabs if them in other games there's just Scramble and Royal, I'm wondering what I'm missing something ?
    Or you thinking of PQ2? (but it's already out no?)

I'd love it in Switch myself but don't think it'll happen, don't think I'll wait around, too worried about stuff being spoiled, can be tough to have surprises in anything now

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not releasing Royal on the Switch is like scoring an own goal.

Japanese games companies must have competitions for who can leave the most money on the table at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Just started Dragon Quest 11 today, loving it so far and only about 3 hours in. Thinking I might go with the Japanese dialogue. English wasnt too bad until I got the second party member and he's voice acting is a bit annoying.

DQ11 players, what way are you managing the combat system. It's kind on on auto pilot for me at the moment and not sure I'm enjoying that. Only have 2 party members at the moment so thinking of going manual control.

Super game so far, battle theme is stuck in my head all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Doodah7

skerry wrote: »
    DQ11 players, what way are you managing the combat system. It's kind on on auto pilot for me at the moment and not sure I'm enjoying that. Only have 2 party members at the moment so thinking of going manual control.

Super game so far, battle theme is stuck in my head all day.

Assign 'Following Orders' to everyone and then you have control. It also depends how far along you are in the game. For a while you won't be able to control Erik until he formally joins your party.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Assign 'Following Orders' to everyone and then you have control. It also depends how far along you are in the game. For a while you won't be able to control Erik until he formally joins your party.

Sound, I'll stick it on 'follow orders' for main character so at least. I'm heading back to
    Cobblestone
    with Erik so not sure if he's officially a party member yet. Only about 5 hours in, spent way too much time exploring areas for loot.

I switch it so that I'm controlling every character and also switch to the classic view as the traditional view just isn't as fluid I find.

Any thoughts on Romancing Saga 3 remaster?

Any thoughts on Romancing Saga 3 remaster?

Haven't heard anything bad, apparently its one of the easier Saga games to get into?

I might give it a shot on android. It's from my favourite era of Rpg's.

I might give it a shot on android. It's from my favourite era of Rpg's.

The only thing to keep in ind from what I've read about it is that some starting characters are more beginner friendly than others so maybe look up which character you want to play as.

• Advertisement

Saga games are weird. If you are expecting a FF type game where you breeze through it and enjoy the story you won't get that.

They are full of weird and interesting mechanics so if you aren't interested in mechanics it might not be for you. But if you like getting your teeth into weird archaic mechanics then they are great.... mostly.

Advertisement