Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

skerry wrote: »
    Gamestop have some 3DS games discounted to 19.99 at the moment. Thinking of popping into the local and picking up Persona Q2 and SMT Strange Journey Redux to get me started. They have Etrian Odyssey Nexus also but think the other 2 will keep me going for a while.

Any opinions on the above games as decent JRPG's or not? They seem a good price given that they are selling for around £40 - 50 on Amazon at the moment.

I very much enjoyed the DS version of Strange Journey, so the 3DS version could be good, and am playing Q2 right now it's good too, but Nexus is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I very much enjoyed the DS version of Strange Journey, so the 3DS version could be good, and am playing Q2 right now it's good too, but Nexus is also good.

Dammit, I was hoping someone would tell me at least one of them was crap so I wouldn't have to buy them all. :D
    19.99 seems decent price for them though from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Gamestop have some 3DS games discounted to 19.99 at the moment. Thinking of popping into the local and picking up Persona Q2 and SMT Strange Journey Redux to get me started. They have Etrian Odyssey Nexus also but think the other 2 will keep me going for a while.

Any opinions on the above games as decent JRPG's or not? They seem a good price given that they are selling for around £40 - 50 on Amazon at the moment.
    I got 2 games last week it was posted in the Ninty deals thread I think and forgot to post here. I got PQ2 (and Luigi's Mansion), have Strange Journey I preordered it.
    I didn't look at Etrian Odyssey, I hadn't played them and wasn't sure which to get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd go For Etrian Odyssey Nexus above those other two. Persona Q2 would be the one to skip but it's still well worth playing.

I adored Strange Journey on the DS but be warned that it's very tough with some big difficulty spikes which will require clever team planning.

It's quite similar to Etrian Odyssey, made on the same engine by the same team but EO is just a step above all other dungeon crawlers and has the excellent mapping system.

And guess what, Persona Q2 is a Etrian Odyssey game but with a Persona lick of paint. Same engine and team as well! But I feel it's the lesser of the two.

You can jump into any Etrian Odyssey.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd go For Etrian Odyssey Nexus above those other two. Persona Q2 would be the one to skip but it's still well worth playing.

I adored Strange Journey on the DS but be warned that it's very tough with some big difficulty spikes which will require clever team planning.

It's quite similar to Etrian Odyssey, made on the same engine by the same team but EO is just a step above all other dungeon crawlers and has the excellent mapping system.

And guess what, Persona Q2 is a Etrian Odyssey game but with a Persona lick of paint. Same engine and team as well! But I feel it's the lesser of the two.

You can jump into any Etrian Odyssey.

Picked up Q2 and Strange Journey there. I had seen Etrian Odyssey mentioned in the reviews for all 3 alright. Will give Strange Journey a go over the weekend and if I'm digging it I'll pick up Nexus if I'm feeling frisky.

From reading a couple of reviews it sounds like the 3DS version of Strange Journey isn't as punishing as the DS version.

Local Gamestop don't even have the new 3DS stock on the shelf, had to ask him to take the ones I wanted out of the back. They have onw copy if Nexus and doubt it will be going anywhere in the next few days.

Open to any other recommendations of standout 3DS Jrpgs to add to my list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Picked up Q2 and Strange Journey there. I had seen Etrian Odyssey mentioned in the reviews for all 3 alright. Will give Strange Journey a go over the weekend and if I'm digging it I'll pick up Nexus if I'm feeling frisky.

From reading a couple of reviews it sounds like the 3DS version of Strange Journey isn't as punishing as the DS version.

Local Gamestop don't even have the new 3DS stock on the shelf, had to ask him to take the ones I wanted out of the back. They have onw copy if Nexus and doubt it will be going anywhere in the next few days.

Open to any other recommendations of standout 3DS Jrpgs to add to my list.

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology and SMT:4 Apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm sorry for chiming in but the 2dsxl is 100 pounds on Amazon and finally thinking about getting one.

Apart from playing a Zelda game for the first time, maybe dragon quest ix?

Is there any other JRPGs I might like?(looking your direction retro).

Trying to decide if there's enough for me to jump in at for the games generally (which seem quite expensive given their age for the most part).

Xenji wrote: »
    Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology and SMT:4 Apocalypse.

I've had a look for both and their both very expensive as hard copy. Hoping they go on sale digitally.

@noodler - that's the deal I got on the 2DS XL. Had been watching them for a while and that's the best deal I've seen so far

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think three house may well be my game of the year, enjoying it immensely!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    I'm sorry for chiming in but the 2dsxl is 100 pounds on Amazon and finally thinking about getting one.

Apart from playing a Zelda game for the first time, maybe dragon quest ix?

Is there any other JRPGs I might like?(looking your direction retro).

Trying to decide if there's enough for me to jump in at for the games generally (which seem quite expensive given their age for the most part).

You get access to the DS and 3DS libraries which makes it pretty much the best RPG system you can buy.

Can't go wrong with Dragon Quest but I'd recommend DQ5 or the Monsters games over 9.

There's loads of good Atlus games like Legend of Legacy, Stella Glow, Alliance Alive and Shin Megami Tensei games like SMT4, SMT4 Apocalypse, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 1 and 2.

There's a neat little RPG on the eshop called Crimson Shroud that is really good and made by the FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre guys.

I also can't over state how good Etrian Odyssey is. It will make you love dungeon crawlers and no other game has done the genre better.

Shiren the Wanderer is the best roguelike you can play.

Its got one of the best versions of Chron Trigger

Fire Emblem is a fantastic series

That's just off the top of my head.

You also have two libraries full of excellent oddities like Infinite Space, soul bubbles, Kirby Mass Attack, Solatorobo.

And unlike the PS3 version Ni No Kuni isn't that bad on DS :pac: If you can play fan translations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

You have the Mario & Luigi series aswell which is a fun series for those who are waiting for The Paper Mario games to go back to their roots, to the way that made them great to begin with .

About 5 hours into Strange Journey Redux now and really enjoying it so far. Haven't played a dungeon crawler like that before but its helping that I'm kind of familiar with the SMT demon systems from Persona 5. At a stage now where I think I need to get fusing some demons to progress.

Tried Demo of Etrian Odyssey Beyond the Myth briefly and was a bit lost. Think once I familiarise myself with that style of game from Strange Journey I'll give them another look.

Erin odyssey is about making dives into the dungeon. You stock up and go exploring. Draw your map and when your resources get low try to get back out alive.

You won't get to the end of a dungeon your first time but each dive you level up a little and map out more and more of the dungeon. You'll eventually get to the layer boss and the feeling of beating it is immense. Then journey to the next layer and be weak again :pac:

The FOE's make the game more interesting ad the series does some interesting things with them.

Also once you get warp wires always have two. They warp you out of the dungeon but having two means you are less likely to end up in a situation where you forget to stock back up!

Also sell all you loot as it unlocks new weapons and it's and have a second farming team

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Erin odyssey is about making dives into the dungeon. You stock up and go exploring. Draw your map and when your resources get low try to get back out alive.

You won't get to the end of a dungeon your first time but each dive you level up a little and map out more and more of the dungeon. You'll eventually get to the layer boss and the feeling of beating it is immense. Then journey to the next layer and be weak again :pac:

The FOE's make the game more interesting ad the series does some interesting things with them.

Also once you get warp wires always have two. They warp you out of the dungeon but having two means you are less likely to end up in a situation where you forget to stock back up!

Also sell all you loot as it unlocks new weapons and it's and have a second farming team

Sounds like my kind of game, anything like that on switch? or PS or PC even?

Plenty of dungeon crawlers but honestly nothing comes anywhere close to Etrian Odyssey. It's far better than anything in the genre by a massive margin. The closest really are the other lancarse developed games on ds and 3ds like strange journey and personal q.

Labyrinth of Refrain meant to be excellent as is the lost child. They're probably the best outside of EO

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hey Square Enix you cowards, give us the Sylvando origin story game that we all deserve.

Plenty of dungeon crawlers but honestly nothing comes anywhere close to Etrian Odyssey. It's far better than anything in the genre by a massive margin. The closest really are the other lancarse developed games on ds and 3ds like strange journey and personal q.

Labyrinth of Refrain meant to be excellent as is the lost child. They're probably the best outside of EO

Reluctant to get refrain, seems pretty hardcore.

Ohhh
    Edelgard
    how could you :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Cold Steel 3 is getting a Switch release in Spring 2020 in the US and Europe. It comes with all the dlc which is a bit of a kick in the teeth considering the PS4 version does not and has only just launched here.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-3-is-com/1100-6471839/

Hopefully it doesn't take as long for 4 to be released outside Japan, which already came out over a year ago.

Probably be a long wait but at least it will come out as the series is picking up the strong fanbase it deserves.

The issue with Trails is it's not localized until after release and the amount of text in the game dwarfs even the biggest western RPG.

Probably be a long wait but at least it will come out as the series is picking up the strong fanbase it deserves.

The issue with Trails is it's not localized until after release and the amount of text in the game dwarfs even the biggest western RPG.

True.

I know the Switch version of 3 having all the dlc mirrors the PS4 versions of 1 & 2, still a bit annoying for anyone who bought the just released 3 that that release is coming out here at most 8 months after the PS4 release.

I can see it selling pretty well in Japan considering 3 will be nearly 3 years old by the time the Switch version is released there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Sounds like my kind of game, anything like that on switch? or PS or PC even?

Mary Skelter and Conception 2, Mary Skelter is basically Etrian

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Mary Skelter and Conception 2, Mary Skelter is basically Etrian

I have an unopened copy of Mary Skelter for the vita too and all !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Has anyone tried Dragon Quest VIII on IOS?? I completed DQ XI S and I am bereft! Absolutely loved it from start to finish

I was thinking of starting DQVIII to fill the void but not for €22 if it is a dud. I know that the PS2 and indeed 3DS versions are likely superior but the former isn't portable and I don't have the latter!

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Dragon Quest VIII on IOS?? I completed DQ XI S and I am bereft! Absolutely loved it from start to finish

I was thinking of starting DQVIII to fill the void but not for €22 if it is a dud. I know that the PS2 and indeed 3DS versions are likely superior but the former isn't portable and I don't have the latter!

It doesn't have the voice acting in it which felt like something massive was missing

Friend got me a digital copy of P4 Golden, was joking saying I played 3 twice (Fes and Portable) and Royal would be twice for 5 so I guess I should play P4 again.

Cheaper than I thought so got Mary Skelter too, it was that or Ys1 and 2.

Friend got me a digital copy of P4 Golden, was joking saying I played 3 twice (Fes and Portable) and Royal would be twice for 5 so I guess I should play P4 again.

Cheaper than I thought so got Mary Skelter too, it was that or Ys1 and 2.

Hang on to that friend!

Hang on to that friend!
    :pac: I will haha
    They were getting me a physical copy but the price of it is mad atm, had them a on strict budget

:pac: I will haha
    They were getting me a physical copy but the price of it is mad atm, had them a on strict budget

How much was it?

How much was it?

P4G goes for about €50 for a card version, the download is €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

So there's going to be a Bravely Default 2 on the switch.

Bravely Second: Am I a joke to you?

Advertisement