Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men Bashing and Women Saluting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

meeeeh wrote: »
    Thank god for bin collectors. I'm starting to think they are a Goodwin of gender discussions. Keep a thread open long enough and someone will mention bin collecting. Actually it doesn't need to be long, abiut 7 posts on average is enough.

You are talking rubbish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ok lads I think it's time someone opens a thread dedicated to bin collectors. I can see the deep fondness and admiration you all have for it.

Here ya go bbz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Omackeral wrote: »
    Not be be hyperbolic but have you ever seen a city when refuse collections cease. The place turns into a nightmare. Rats everywhere and just all round vile. Also, it's a valid point so why not address it instead of your sniping?

You'll be waiting a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Not be be hyperbolic but have you ever seen a city when refuse collections cease. The place turns into a nightmare. Rats everywhere and just all round vile. Also, it's a valid point so why not address it instead of your sniping?

And people are paid for refuse collection. Do you want a standing ovation for a job you are paid for? Or are bin collectors dragged into every thread because they are the only profession with little prospects that is male dominated? There isn't much variety in the arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Seriously guys, it's fairly pathetic that you seem to be so hanging your hats on the binmen to show that men take equal responsibility as women in organising and doing all the stuff that keeps a household going, which is what the op was actually about. If that's all you've got, it's telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Are you so deluded to think women do just the nice jobs? Care assistants are mostly women, do you think they are nice jobs because you just have tee all day and chat to couple of pensioners?

Absolutely not and I apologise if my post suggested as such. My own mother cared for the elderly and I've no doubt it was a very difficult job, probably every bit as physically demanding as my fathers job as a farmer. Both of them have problems with knee joints now due to the strain of their work.

I was referring to the jobs where there's pushes for quotas to be introduced.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Seriously guys, it's fairly pathetic that you seem to be so hanging your hats on the binmen to show that men take equal responsibility as women in organising and doing all the stuff that keeps a household going, which is what the op was actually about. If that's all you've got, it's telling.

If you actually agree with the absolute sexist tripe in the origin op's links, it's fairly telling.

It's not me that needs the thread, it's for you. It's obviously topic close to a lot of posters in this thread hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

But the dirtier, smellier, more physically demanding, more dangerous jobs ARE mostly done by men - I don't see how this is up for debate.

So bin collection (not a pleasant job) is viewed by someone here as a cliched response - ok, how about: mining, steel production, multi-storey building, automobile manufacturing, oil drilling, war.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Advertisement

But the dirtier, smellier, more physically demanding, more dangerous jobs ARE mostly done by men - I don't see how this is up for debate.

So bin collection (not a pleasant job) is viewed by someone here as a cliched response - ok, how about: mining, steel production, multi-storey building, automobile manufacturing, oil drilling, war.
    I'd have thought it was obvious why it was trotted out, it's a clearly visible every day example, literally visible on the streets. I e. Undeniably male dominated and visibly unpleasant.

givyjoe wrote: »
    If you actually agree with the absolute sexist tripe in the origin op's links, it's fairly telling.[/QUOTE

Absolutely I know women in general carry the bigger load of housework even if they are working full time and also organise the household, no small job. I think most men would admit the same if they were honest. But you see when you get men immediately going to but but but whatabout once in the blue moon jobs and whatabout binmen and other dirty jobs, it proves the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Myself and my girlfriend live apart because we're very independent and need our space.
    Works out very well for both of us,as we like our down time.

She definitely struggles with her 2 year old son, and getting the house work done the way she likes it.

Well with a man and a woman living together it should be negotiated as to what's done right and both taking responsibility for the chores.

There's nothing worse than having to pick up after someone, wet clothes in the machine, iron board left out in the kitchen, vacuum cleaner in the middle of the floor when one gets home.

Himself cleaning a boat engine on the table before dinner and thinking it's ok.
    Leaving fishing bait in the fridge, leaving the kettle empty when it's easy to fill up again.

A trail of odd socks from the bedroom to the kitchen, yes some men are sloppy that's for sure.

A man who cannot pull his weight has no business living with a woman who's constantly picking up after him etc
    It's irritating definitely a headache and exhausting.

I live alone not because I'm sloppy but because I like my own space and man cave.

I'm into art's and crafts and have lot's of hobbies, so it is only fair that I don't have to be in someone's way and I can do my thing.

My girlfriend/partner is very house proud and respect's my pinky ponky set up and our relationship is flourishing because we set out our boundaries.

Some men and women get on way better living apart.

It's all about boundaries and respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've seen loads of shite about how those ads targeting womens insecurities and telling them to shave their arms and that they smell is the equivalent to that Gillette ad.

Actually what those womens ads are the equivalent of is ads telling men to use deodorant and to shave their face. An ad for razors lecturing men about their supposed personality traits is completely different.

Imagine an ad for womens razors that shows women shaving their legs while contemplating, among other evils, female teachers having sex with male pupils because this is somehow the fault of all women.

All those professions have a lot in common with bin collection. The most obvious thing they have in common is that they are paid professions. You dragged them in to a thread about domestic unpaid work. If you want to continue to whine about how hard you have it, I think someone opened a thread about bin collectors.

As for the topic of domestic chores, I do about 97% of house work in our house (I also work shorter hours) but I will not touch our huge garden or any handywork.

All those professions have a lot in common with bin collection. The most obvious thing they have in common is that they are paid professions. You dragged them in to a thread about domestic unpaid work. If you want to continue to whine about how hard you have it, I think someone opened a thread about bin collectors.

Exactly.

I'm a woman.

I didn't whine.

I didn't drag anything in, it was already dragged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think if you take a moment, step away from the computer, ditch the stereotypes, stop looking for offence where none exists and realize that whatever gender we are, whatever sexuality we are, whatever shape our body is, whatever we work at, love to do in our spare time, drink on a Friday night, go on holiday... IT doesn’t ****ing matter. There are arseholes all over the world, every race, colour, gender, sexuality, age, religion or job. The dickhead gene doesn’t seem to discriminate in fact. So to have it broken down further into some caveman / cave woman men vs women debate isn’t exactly a great advertisement for the human spirit or the intellect there of. So if you are anti any gender you are anti fûcking thinking and should really take up some form of education that can reinforce for you the basics of humanity, love and if you are unfortunate enough to have to go this last resort of the mindbendly obvious then I feel sor...... no wait I don’t, please just fûck off....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

eviltwin wrote: »
    Maybe women should date men who are capable of doing their share instead of marrying them and then complaining

Maybe intending men should require a prenuptial agreement stipulating that their shortcomings, real or imagined, will not be plastered allover a newspaper. After all if the family court works on that basis why should it be different before you get there? And maybe wives who want to satisfy that kind of voyeurism should be reminded that two can play that game. Next we will see photos from between the sheets in our awful press.
    But oh, life's a bitch. Wives have to remember things. Like if hubby forgot things at work he wouldn't get the sack or lose his business. No? No stress there? I'll tell you what real stress was, back when probably none of you were born, nor many of your parents either: going to national school to a son of a bitch of a psychpathic teacher who beat you mercilessly when you forgot something.

I'm a woman.

And?

• Advertisement

And?
    "If you want to continue to whine about how hard you have it..."

"If you want to continue to whine about how hard you have it..."

You can change it to 'they' then... still doesn't change the fact it's just whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The first article in particular is a real denigration of the authors husband.

Why is it that we accept this type of nonsense as fact when we're being fed a sanitised version of one side of the story?

It's laughable that these women have the lifestyles they have (houses with dedicated play rooms no less) from writing such dull and uninspired nonsense that seems to stem from arguments they've had with their spouses over the division of household labor.

Is this the standard of "journalism" that keeps not one but two women in employment to the sound of ringing cash registers at the Irish Times in an era where children are being raised in hotel rooms whilst their parents work for pittance?

In any responsible society these women would be shunned for their petulant self indulgent rants for money that passes as production of journalistic material.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

nullzero wrote: »
    The first article in particular is a real denigration of the authors husband.

Why is it that we accept this type of nonsense as fact when we're being fed a sanitised version of one side of the story?

It's laughable that these women have the lifestyles they have (houses with dedicated play rooms no less) from writing such dull and uninspired nonsense that seems to stem from arguments they've had with their spouses over the division of household labor.

Is this the standard of "journalism" that keeps not one but two women in employment to the sound of ringing cash registers at the Irish Times in an era where children are being raised in hotel rooms whilst their parents work for pittance?

In any responsible society these women would be shunned for their petulant self indulgent rants for money that passes as production of journalistic material.

I wish I could thank this post ten times. You've said it all. How often have you heard anything from these priveleged, white, wealthy amazons about hardship endured by women (and men) in parts of the third world, not to talk of doing something about it. They have more to say about gender discrimination in golf clubs than about female circumcision.

feargale wrote: »
    I wish I could thank this post ten times. You've said it all. How often have you heard anything from these priveleged, white, wealthy amazons about hardship endured by women (and men) in parts of the third world, not to talk of doing something about it. They have more to say about gender discrimination in golf clubs than about female circumcision.

Cheers I appreciate that.
    You're spot on as well, they have nothing to say about women being stoned to death under Sharia law but can't get angry enough about the perceived injustices they face in the free Liberal Western countries they live in.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

sanitised

I think you mean sanitaryised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Im a single Dad. Who do you think takes care of my household?

Cheers I appreciate that.
    You're spot on as well, they have nothing to say about women being stoned to death under Sharia law but can't get angry enough about the perceived injustices they face in the free Liberal Western countries they live in.

Should Irish women invade Saudi Arabia and sort them out? I'm just wondering what more do you want people to do. I constantly hear Amnesty International and similar organisations protest human rights violations around the world (and housing crisis at home) but then I don't live in Facebook bubble of lifestyle articles like most of the outrage brigade here does.

On separate topic, can anyone list when forced re education worked. Interference seems to breed even more extreme opinions so they are best left to their own devices.

Another thing that I forgot to mention in my rant; both these women are at pains to remind everyone that they are in partnership with their spouses, at what point is it acceptable for somebody who has freely entered into such a partnership to publicly denigrate and essentially make a fool of their partner?

Most people take the marriage vows "love, honour and obey" (obey being something that is a hangover from less enlightened times), surely honouring your partner is paramount. I couldn't imagine putting my name to an article in which I denigrated my wife publicly, how low can somebody sink?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Another thing that I forgot to mention in my rant; both these women are at pains to remind everyone that they are in partnership with their spouses, at what point is it acceptable for somebody who has freely entered into such a partnership to publicly denigrate and essentially make a fool of their partner?

Most people take the marriage vows "lover, honour and obey" (obey being something that is a hangover from less enlightened times), surely honouring your partner is paramount. I couldn't imagine putting my name to an article in which I denigrated my wife publicly, how low can somebody sink?

Maybe they are not that easily offended.

Advertisement