Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men Bashing and Women Saluting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mrsmum wrote: »
    the bins go out once a week, like five minutes work once a week, often put out by me

Ever seen a woman collecting them for 8 hours a day? Hopping on and off grimy filthy trucks? I honestly never have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mulbot

Hmmm, I think I've see my husband getting out the rods to unblock drains about twice in twenty five years, the bins go out once a week, like five minutes work once a week, often put out by me and he, like lots of men, doesn't do any manual work. So I would hope he would do a little bit more than above list.

Who collects your rubbish. How many times in ,25 years did you clean the drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Hmmm, I think I've see my husband getting out the rods to unblock drains about twice in twenty five years, the bins go out once a week, like five minutes work once a week, often put out by me and he, like lots of men, doesn't do any manual work. So I would hope he would do a little bit more than above list.
    He has quite a catch there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I dropped my partner and daughter to the parade on Sunday and went back to re-hang the back gate that blew down in the wind last week. That involved replacing part of the frame, and repositioning hinges etc. Essentially I was fixing someone else's botch job.

She would happily have handed over 250-300 euro to someone to pretty much do the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Good heaven boys. you're physically stronger. That's why you don't have men and women competing against each other in sports. For a woman to be a bin collector, it would not be a like for like job as for a man to be a bin collector ie the bins would be a heavier lift for her. Common sense really. The title op and stories linked are about household chores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Women give out over anything. Men just can’t be arsed and do what they need to do

Wouldn't know it by this thread! Complaining about complaining.

Gonna run away now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I do all the cooking so it would be unfair if I was to do anything else around the house :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Good heaven boys. you're physically stronger. That's why you don't have men and women competing against each other in sports. For a woman to be a bin collector, it would not be a like for like job as for a man to be a bin collector ie the bins would be a heavier lift for her. Common sense really. The title op and stories linked are about household chores.

So all men are stronger than all women,and that's why women don't collect garbage . Sweet jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The lorry does the lifting.
    I think maybe the problem for the ladies is more about being out in the rain, following a stinking lorry, and getting covered in a stinky bin smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

That’s a cop-out.

180409181631-maude-charron-record-breakers-exlarge-169.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    That’s a cop-out.

180409181631-maude-charron-record-breakers-exlarge-169.jpg

Down with that sort of thing

recedite wrote: »
    The lorry does the lifting.
    I think maybe the problem for the ladies is more about being out in the rain, following a stinking lorry, and getting covered in a stinky bin smell.

Ah it's still quite physical though. Not family friendly for women either as not really suitable while pregnant what with the bump to be minded and morning, noon and night sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

When did you last see men lifting a bin and dumping the contents in the truck?! The truck literally does this now. Absolutely no physical reason why women can't be bin collectors today.

Not really common sense, just having two functioning eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

givyjoe wrote: »
    When did you last see men lifting a bin and dumping the contents in the truck?! The truck literally does this now. Absolutely no physical reason why women can't be bin collectors today.

The physical reasons would be the low temperature and ensuing depression from doing the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think we should impose mandatory bin lady quotas.
    50/50 men and women doing the job is what it should be in the 21st century.

First step in this is to reserve half the jobs for women, and to bump otherwise suitable male candidates off the list.

The second step is to go down to Brown Thomas's cafe and press-gang enough ladies there to fill all the vacancies.

givyjoe wrote: »

Yeah, although I still maintain bins can be very heavy just to push and you often see lads pulling two towards the truck, maybe taking the physicality out of it, it's quite an easy job really. That must be why men are attracted to it. But then if bin companies put up ads looking for women to apply, to encourage the ladies into this traditional male area, the men would be going nuts about that also. No pleasing the lads these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Yeah, although I still maintain bins can be very heavy just to push and you often see lads pulling two towards the truck, maybe taking the physicality out of it, it's quite an easy job really. That must be why men are attracted to it. But then if bin companies put up ads looking for women to apply, to encourage the ladies into this traditional male area, the men would be going nuts about that also. No pleasing the lads these days.

There's a difference and you know it.. Quotas for the nice jobs, but men can continue doing the not so nice ones. That seems to be the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Thank god for bin collectors. I'm starting to think they are a Goodwin of gender discussions. Keep a thread open long enough and someone will mention bin collecting. Actually it doesn't need to be long, abiut 7 posts on average is enough.

How about the ladies just have to pull the blue top bins. Full of paper so not at all heavy.

the bins go out once a week, like five minutes work once a week, often put out by me
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Ever seen a woman collecting them for 8 hours a day? Hopping on and off grimy filthy trucks? I honestly never have.

That's a no then :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Won't be long before this thread is scraping at the bottom of a barrel lol

There's a difference and you know it.. Quotas for the nice jobs, but men can continue doing the not so nice ones. That seems to be the message.

Are you so deluded to think women do just the nice jobs? Care assistants are mostly women, do you think they are nice jobs because you just have tee all day and chat to couple of pensioners?

Ah it's still quite physical though. Not family friendly for women either as not really suitable while pregnant what with the bump to be minded and morning, noon and night sickness.

Yeah but if she gives birth to a baby boy on the route he can do the job for her cos he'll be big and strong and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

In fairness, that is an element of the gender pay gap?

Yeah, although I still maintain bins can be very heavy just to push and you often see lads pulling two towards the truck, maybe taking the physicality out of it, it's quite an easy job really. That must be why men are attracted to it.

It's a tough, physical job. I certainly wouldn't fancy it.
    But then if bin companies put up ads looking for women to apply, to encourage the ladies into this traditional male area, the men would be going nuts about that also. No pleasing the lads these days.

Guarantee you ''the lads'' would be very interested to see the uptake from the fairer sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

If you're going fishing.. try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Don't see too many female underwater welders....

meeeeh wrote: »
    Thank god for bin collectors. I'm starting to think they are a Goodwin of gender discussions. Keep a thread open long enough and someone will mention bin collecting. Actually it doesn't need to be long, abiut 7 posts on average is enough.

Not be be hyperbolic but have you ever seen a city when refuse collections cease. The place turns into a nightmare. Rats everywhere and just all round vile. Also, it's a valid point so why not address it instead of your sniping?

Ok lads I think it's time someone opens a thread dedicated to bin collectors. I can see the deep fondness and admiration you all have for it.

Or maybe it's just token whataboutery...

• Advertisement

Don't see too many female underwater welders....

That's because they're underwater.

Advertisement