Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men Bashing and Women Saluting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

meeeeh wrote: »
    Should Irish women invade Saudi Arabia and sort them out? I'm just wondering what more do you want people to do. I constantly hear Amnesty International and similar organisations protest human rights violations around the world (and housing crisis at home) but then I don't live in Facebook bubble of lifestyle articles like most of the outrage brigade here does.

On separate topic, can anyone list when forced re education worked. Interference seems to breed even more extreme opinions so they are best left to their own devices.

I applaud your consistency.
    On every occasion I have encountered you on this site you have offered consistently insipid opinions on every topic imaginable.

Maybe they are not that easily offended.

Maybe they have no self respect. That would appear to be the most likely explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

nullzero wrote: »
    Cheers I appreciate that.
    You're spot on as well, they have nothing to say about women being stoned to death under Sharia law but can't get angry enough about the perceived injustices they face in the free Liberal Western countries they live in.

By that logic, what are you doing about the slaughter of young men in Syria? The gender imbalance in China and its impact on young men? The suicide rates in some Nordic and Asian countries? The appalling life expectancy of men in the entire developed world? The rates of incarceration and death by homicide in the states?

I'd say those are all bigger complaints than some Irish Times article about housework so presumably you can link to a load of your opining and activism about very serious issues affecting men halfway around the world since otherwise you're not allowed to talk about smaller issues which directly and daily affect you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Cheers I appreciate that.
    You're spot on as well, they have nothing to say about women being stoned to death under Sharia law but can't get angry enough about the perceived injustices they face in the free Liberal Western countries they live in.

You do realise that's the definition of whataboutery.

saying someone can't complain about something here because something worse is happening elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

On every occasion I have encountered you on this site you have offered consistently insipid opinions on every topic imaginable.

Since it's coming from someone like you I will take it as a huge compliment.

• Advertisement

Since it's coming from someone like you I will take it as a huge compliment.

Your username perfectly encapsulates my feeling towards you and the opinions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Oh I see. The offended are "snowflakes," are they? By Jesus, watch a male journalist denigrate his other half publicly in the same way and see who is offended. Is the "equality of esteem" mantra an Irish disease? Equality for me but not for you, yes? That "snowflakes" argument is now being used to shield every bully's display of bad manners.

Grayson wrote: »

saying someone can't complain about something here because something worse is happening elsewhere.

Complaining about your husband's contribution to the housework isn't what anybody should consider to be legitimate journalism.

You're just being contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Maybe they have no self respect. That would appear to be the most likely explanation.

Most likely.

If I where the 'hubby' in that situation I would be absolutely mortified.

I'd feel extremely let down. And all for just a few clicks.

Imagine if the roles where reversed?

By that logic, what are you doing about the slaughter of young men in Syria? The gender imbalance in China and its impact on young men? The suicide rates in some Nordic and Asian countries? The appalling life expectancy of men in the entire developed world? The rates of incarceration and death by homicide in the states?

I'd say those are all bigger complaints than some Irish Times article about housework so presumably you can link to a load of your opining and activism about very serious issues affecting men halfway around the world since otherwise you're not allowed to talk about smaller issues which directly and daily affect you?

What are you banging on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I know nothing about the two women except for looking at the articles linked in the OP and I'm sure they wouldn't put anything in print that would deliberately embarrass or belittle their partners or hurt them in any way, so you're probably right that the their partners are not easily offended.

But I think the point is that had a man wrote a similar article with unfunny stereotypes about a female partner (eg she takes ages to get ready, terrible driver, buys too many clothes/shoes, makes me crap dinners), they would rightly be called out for sexism. And I don't think there'd be any comments suggesting that maybe his partner isn't easily offended and she's probably ok with her fella putting out such drivel in a national paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Grayson wrote: »

It's irrelevant.

The issue is that these women need to cop themselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

I've read this whole thread and this is exactly what I hate about society these days, everyone out to get each other, cop on. I'm a single father and do everything and I mean everything and I enjoy it, so everyone stop bitching and grow up, there's worse problems in the world let alone our own country without trying to bring each other down, a sad sad read people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It's despicable when people ridicule their partners. And any women whom I know that moan about men... cannot live without a man. They'd die rather than be single.
    And with such hostility. Imagine being that angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What are you banging on about?

Good Lord someone's cranky and hard of reading today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Omackeral wrote: »
    male-privilege-is-wearing-the-same-outfit-multiple-times-to-37423455.png

Yes, this is true.

I’m a fairly girly girl but not really, really girly. I remember a full table of female colleagues being totally aghast at my admission that I don’t buy a new dress for every single wedding I’m invited to. I said I had a rotation that I occasionally added a new dress to and that if two consecutive weddings had different crowds at them that I’d happily wear the same dress at two weddings in a row. Aghast, they were. I’m not exaggerating. “What if someone sees from photos on Facebook that you wore the same dress to two weddings?” asked they. Says me “I doubt anyone will be looking at me that closely and if they do notice, well I pick dresses that suit me so it doesn’t bother me.” Them - still totally aghast. We moved on...

Good Lord someone's cranky and hard of reading today :D

Hard of reading?

I'm wondering why I'm expected to do as you outlined? I'm not the one being paid to work as a journalist, I'm offering an opinion on the shocking level of supposed journalism offered up by the writers in question.

Projecting stupidity and anger onto somebody suggests an inability to interact and discuss things at an adult level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

recedite wrote: »
    The lorry does the lifting.
    I think maybe the problem for the ladies is more about being out in the rain, following a stinking lorry, and getting covered in a stinky bin smell.

Nurses are mostly women and there are plenty of bad smells and substances to deal with in that job. Cleaners appear to be mostly women too. Again, bad smells and physically quite heavy work. It’s disingenuous to suggest that women rarely work in jobs that involve visceral unpleasantness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

IK09 wrote: »
    Im a single Dad. Who do you think takes care of my household?

And I'm sure in households with single women, they do actually you know put out the bins but the way men go on you'd swear women never touch these dirty jobs.
    The point of the articles is about when men and women live together, not alone, who does the bulk of the everyday, mundane but necessary household chores as opposed to once in blue moon tasks fall to and who knows all the details of the household for every member of the family in their head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Mrsmum wrote: »
    And I'm sure in households with single women, they do actually you know put out the bins but the way men go on you'd swear women never touch these dirty jobs.
    The point of the articles is about when men and women live together, not alone, who does the bulk of the everyday, mundane but necessary household chores as opposed to once in blue moon tasks fall to and who knows all the details of the household for every member of the family in their head.

From personal experience, men. Alas, I am but one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I only get a bee in my bonnet when Women preach to Men about the male experience. You literally know nothing about it and you never ever will so stop offering opinions on something you have no idea about.

Just on all this nonsense. There is the gender of a person. Then there is the person themselves, their own personality, who they distinctivly are. I'm not defined by my gender, I am a man, yes and I have my own version of masculinity. But I'm not one of the boys, not useless at cleaning or remembering or incapable of expressing my feelings. I am me. I feel many people on both sides (or all sides) want to just been seen as such. Not defined by an exisiting sexual characteristic that pre determines what I will do or say. Cheap and lazy thinking. There are just people nothing more and nothing less.

Yes, this is true.

I’m a fairly girly girl but not really, really girly. I remember a full table of female colleagues being totally aghast at my admission that I don’t buy a new dress for every single wedding I’m invited to. I said I had a rotation that I occasionally added a new dress to and that if two consecutive weddings had different crowds at them that I’d happily wear the same dress at two weddings in a row. Aghast, they were. I’m not exaggerating. “What if someone sees from photos on Facebook that you wore the same dress to two weddings?” asked they. Says me “I doubt anyone will be looking at me that closely and if they do notice, well I pick dresses that suit me so it doesn’t bother me.” Them - still totally aghast. We moved on...

I hate that. And they will be usually buying cheap badly fitting clothes. I prefer the same well made dress than buy sone cheap tat every time that will end up on rubbish pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lads it's Wednesday, we're meant to be moaning about the travellers. Women are Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Hard of reading?

I'm wondering why I'm expected to do as you outlined? I'm not the one being paid to work as a journalist, I'm offering an opinion on the shocking level of supposed journalism offered up by the writers in question.

Projecting stupidity and anger onto somebody suggests an inability to interact and discuss things at an adult level.

If the journalistic integrity of the life & style section of the times is what appalls you so one might suggest you could write to the editor who presumably read and approved these pieces to go into the paper. I would have thought people writing about their life experiences is right up the alley of the life & style section though tbh.

Mrsmum wrote: »

I'm a married man and I do the majority of the housework as well as working full time outside the home.
    It works differently for all families, the notion that women are holding things together in all families is antediluvian nonsense and any suggestion otherwise is just plain old self indulgent nonsense predicated on "men are useless" sexist claptrap.
    It's 2019, time to drag yourself and your sexist opinions out of the dark ages, men aren't useless buffoons, we're women's partners and we work together for each other. All this "poor me" nonsense from women in relation to these issues belongs in the past.

If the journalistic integrity of the life & style section of the times is what appalls you so one might suggest you could write to the editor who presumably read and approved these pieces to go into the paper. I would have thought people writing about their life experiences is right up the alley of the life & style section though tbh.

Maybe it is up the alley of people who read it. It doesn't make it a worthwhile enterprise however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Maybe it is up the alley of people who read it. It doesn't make it a worthwhile enterprise however.

if the people who read it get enjoyment or entertainment out of it then it's serving it's purpose, and can therefor be deemed to be a worthwhile enterprise.

And with such hostility. Imagine being that angry.

It's not hostility it's just lack of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sounds to me like neither of the lazy wagons are very good at being Mistress of the House. Shape up or ship out, I sez.

Advertisement