Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you never see female bin collectors?

Options
  • 20-03-2019 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

As requested from meeeeh.
    meeeeh wrote: »
    Ok lads I think it's time someone opens a thread dedicated to bin collectors. I can see the deep fondness and admiration you all have for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I think the industry needs gender quotas..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I have seen a few. Thread over, everybody go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I'd rather lift bins than work minimum wage retail. Applied twice, no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There’s a bin crew that fly into the estate at around 4:30pm like a bunch of yahoos, speeding up the roads and throwing bins anywhere once they’ve been dumped into the truck.

I’ve had the bins from houses five or six down from me left blocking my driveway. I couldn’t care less whether they’re binmen or binwomen, I’d just like them to arrive at a decent hour and not jeopardise the lives of the children here.

Not sure the company would take a complaint seriously as I don’t do business with them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

There’s a bin crew that fly into the estate at around 4:30pm like a bunch of yahoos, speeding up the roads and throwing bins anywhere once they’ve been dumped into the truck.

I’ve had the bins from houses five or six down from me left blocking my driveway. I couldn’t care less whether they’re binmen or binwomen, I’d just like them to arrive at a decent hour and not jeopardise the lives of the children here.

Not sure the company would take a complaint seriously as I don’t do business with them.

I live in the edge of a village, the bastard's collect the bins at 5 am once a fortnight.
    I don't care if Rupaul is driving.
    But feck me, it's like a runway with all the flashing lights at 5am and thumping noise's...dunk dunk pdunk...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Ive never seen a job advertised for bin collectors, how does someone become a bin man/woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

They have more important things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ive never seen a job advertised for bin collectors, how does someone become a bin man/woman?
    They send out regular emails. Check your trash folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Q: Why do you never see female bin collectors?

A: Because we're not completely stupid and we do more than enough of the gicky jobs without adding another one to our repertoire.

Nobody WANTS to be a bin collector except my sons when they were little. They dreamed of hopping on and off the back of the bin lorry when they grew up. Now they've all reached employable age none of them is that keen to go chasing a bin collection job. Strange that! It's a job. Maybe there are perks that I don't know about but they seem to have worst of all worlds. In my signwriting days, I had to do the vehicle livery for a council refuse lorry fleet - ten of the damn things. It was summer and for some reason I forget the lorries had to stay in the garage. I'll never forget the three days spent inhaling the odour of the bin soup that seemed to lie on the bottom of the lorries. I wouldn't willingly follow that smell around five days a week, 52 weeks of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

A: Because we're not completely stupid and we do more than enough of the gicky jobs without adding another one to our repertoire.

Nobody WANTS to be a bin collector except my sons when they were little. They dreamed of hopping on and off the back of the bin lorry when they grew up. Now they've all reached employable age none of them is that keen to go chasing a bin collection job. Strange that! It's a job. Maybe there are perks that I don't know about but they seem to have worst of all worlds. In my signwriting days, I had to do the vehicle livery for a council refuse lorry fleet - ten of the damn things. It was summer and for some reason I forget the lorries had to stay in the garage. I'll never forget the three days spent inhaling the odour of the bin soup that seemed to lie on the bottom of the lorries. I wouldn't willingly follow that smell around five days a week, 52 weeks of the year.

Agreed. What kind of idiot would collect rubbish. Putting stickers on rubbish lorries, now that's where the smart money is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Because I'm too busy sleeping when they pass the house at 6am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

They would be advertised as General Operatives or Waste Technicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

With gender equality a hot topic now, we are likely to see many more female bin collectors.

I know a few lads that work on the bins. Apparently, once you don't mind the early starts, it's actually a handy enough job and a bit of a laugh. Relatively short days, I am lead to believe.

You don't see women doing it because 'ew that's yucky' and gender quotas only apply to higher up jobs that require a lot of effort to get into (quotas which directly discriminate against the suitably qualified men also aiming for the same jobs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

My mascara would run, out in the rain and my nails would be in bits !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I worked with a local council in Scotland. There was an internal waiting list for people that wanted on the "trucks". Silly money and the quicker you were done, the quicker you got home.

This was in the late 90s and they were lifting £1800 (UK) every 4 weeks. I was getting about £800-£1100 in the parks dept for longer hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I know a few lads that work on the bins. Apparently, once you don't mind the early starts, it's actually a handy enough job and a bit of a laugh. Relatively short days, I am lead to believe.

You don't see women doing it because 'ew that's yucky' and gender quotas only apply to higher up jobs that require a lot of effort to get into (quotas which directly discriminate against the suitably qualified men also aiming for the same jobs).

4am till 3pm, half an hour break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Mrsmum wrote: »
    My mascara would run, out in the rain and my nails would be in bits !

Ah here, sure stop, g'way out of that. And there was a surprise and it was great fun. Sure stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

KevinCavan wrote: »
    With gender equality a hot topic now, we are likely to see many more female bin collectors.

Not at all, the opposite is true!
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/the-more-gender-equality-the-fewer-women-in-stem/553592/

I know that report focuses on STEM but the truth is in countries where people have more choice and opportunity many jobs are still selected predominately by gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

Good to see that you speak for all women, and that all women are "not completely stupid". Obviously all current bin collectors are stupid, that's a really strong point you make.... [\sarcasm]

Men and women both do some "gicky" jobs so let's not play the poor women card. The sooner we start seeing people as individuals instead of male/female/black/white/gay/straight the better. I have a question for you, do you believe gender quotas are a good thing? This is the key, and I'm not presuming that you do. It's a genuine question, because if we go down the road of gender quotas, then we must do race quotas too. Then we start to go further down that rabbit hole of sub dividing society until we end up with the right person missing out on jobs and the workforce becomes an unbalanced mess due to our perception of PC workplaces.

Sorry if this feels like a personal attack, I promise you it's not. It's an attack on the "us and them" concept. Everyone should have equal opportunity to apply for any position, and if it turns out that as I suspect that, generally, men happen to be more willing and able to follow a smelly truck lifting heavy bins then that's how it will be. Just like any other job, certain characteristics will make a certain type of person more willing and more able to do it. But please try to see it from a "me and you" perspective rather than "us and them". That's the only way real equality can happen, equal opportunity for everyone and then we can have the best people doing the best job possible.

There will always be exceptions to the "norm". We will have mostly male bricklayers but some female. Mostly female nurses but some male. There are natural averages of male/female that no amount of legislation will change and the sooner we realize this, the sooner we can really be an equal society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭DaithiMa

Is it just me that still calls them binmen? Or more usually 'The Binman'. Apologies in advance if that offends anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

So men who work as binmen are "completely stupid"? Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

DaithiMa wrote: »
    Is it just me that still calls them binmen? Or more usually 'The Binman'. Apologies in advance if that offends anyone.

That would be what everyone calls them but the title would have looked weird if it was "Why do you never see female binmen?" It would imply some kind of gender fluidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Tacklebox wrote: »
    I live in the edge of a village, the bastard's collect the bins at 5 am once a fortnight.
    I don't care if Rupaul is driving.
    But feck me, it's like a runway with all the flashing lights at 5am and thumping noise's...dunk dunk pdunk...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Talk to Fat Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

That'll be the 'Patriarchy' reserving all the most prestigious, glamourous and high-paying careers for the men. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

DaithiMa wrote: »
    The politically correct term is "Persons of Bin".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

My old man's a Recycling Technician in the Environmental Sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

There are female bin collectors. Tonnes of them.

You just don't see it. It's dark, the fumes from the rubbish have wizened their once delicate features into the hard, chiseled and haggard looks of men. Due to the high level of toxicity, some have grown what appear to be beards. Many cut their hair short for fear of it being snagged and them being pulled into the grinder. After years of prolonged bin-collecting, many simply accept their fate and continue as bin "men" in every day life.

It's a tough job and they deserve every penny they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

My bin is collected by a truck similar to the one I have attached. Only the driver is required to operate it and some of the drivers are female. Nobody has to touch the bin so it's not "icky".

Advertisement