Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men Bashing and Women Saluting

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Oh in the last 50 years then yeah women's lives have changed more but I'd say post 2010 it's men who've been thrown in at a new and very deep end. Even in terms of physical appearance, there are expectations that are considered very standard now that would have gotten the sh1t kicked out of you when I was in school. I know things have ramped up for women too but it's not as new.

They have a lot if new expectations while still having a lot of the old pressures.

Not that that means there's not plenty still to be talked about for women.

That is true. My mid-30s husband is agog at how much more appearance-focused the 20-something lads in his office are than he was ten years ago. And how acceptable it is now for them to be really into talking about fashion and grooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ardent wrote: »
    If vibrators could mow the lawn, there'd be no need for men.

You could get a man to attach one to an automower. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,491 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

nullzero, you’ve undermined the responses of a number of people on this thread who have responded to you in good faith. Making lofty statements about adult conversations and whatnot. That is playing the man, not the ball - which you accuse others of doing.

I’m sure you can rebut the points made without resorting to that so why not do so?

Is being referred to as "hard of reading" being responded to in good faith?

Get off your soap box and think about what you're writing in future, it's hard to take the moral high ground when you're talking nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I have a mild suspiscion that the French comic write is trying to appeal to her audience in that article. You know, I have seven kids, no hired cleaner, and I get the plight of stay at home moms :P

nullzero wrote: »
    Is being referred to as "hard of reading" being responded to in good faith?

Get off your soap box and think about what you're writing in future, it's hard to take the moral high ground when you're talking nonsense.

Ah, that comment was made after you posted in a belligerent manner:
    What are you banging on about?

You’ve mostly just insulted people on this thread. How is that of any value? You’re not in a position to evaluate the quality of other people’s posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

IK09 wrote: »
    You don't have to read the whole study. It's categorised into different sections. The one were talking about pertains to Housework. Read that section.

You're well able to throw "studies" around. Not so good when it comes to reading them.

So either you're going to remain ignorant to what we are talking about or you are not. The choice is yours.

Either read your own references or I rest my case. I'm sure that you have little regard for educating yourself so I'll assume I'm done here.

I actually did read that bit. I never saw that it was anywhere srated housework was not averaged over the week to be more than an hour per day. You then invented some new criteria called "every men does as I do" and does housework only one day per week but we do 37 hours worth of work on that day so we work more than women. Or something like that. And you actually expect to be taken seriously. I didn't ignore your previous criticism of study because I didn't know what you were commenting, I ignored it because it was to dumb to engage.

Ah, that comment was made after you posted in a belligerent manner:

You’ve mostly just insulted people on this thread. How is that of any value? You’re not in a position to evaluate the quality of other people’s posts.

I was insulted by two users, one of which I have had run ins with on other forums in this site and another who implored me to discuss matters that were at best tangential to the discussion at hand, and when I questioned what they were on about I was accused of being "cranky and hard of reading". The third person who has seen fit to engage me in further nonsensical argument is you, seeing how you have questioned the reasoning behind those previous arguments how is what you've added of any value?

Should we just accept that "journalists" (two of whom working for the same publication) writing lazy hit pieces on their own life partners as being worthy of a wage which affords them what appear on the surface to be luxurious lifestyles?
    Were men to write about their wives in such a manner women on this site and everywhere else online would be up in arms, the men would most likely be removed from their jobs in yet we accept this nonsense being visited on men because that's just the way it is.

Added to this when somebody points out these inequalities the usual suspects on this site emerge from the woodwork attempting lazy targeting of those holding a light up to this lunacy, hurling insults then taking offence when someone defends themselves and then taking the moral high ground. It really is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

In the context of the discussion this article is pretty interesting. A little long but their conclusions seem somewhat intuitive

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2018/feb/17/dirty-secret-why-housework-gender-gap

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ardent wrote: »
    If vibrators could mow the lawn, there'd be no need for men.
    Can they not mow the lawn themselves?

I was insulted by two users, one of which I have had run ins with on other forums in this site and another who implored me to discuss matters that were at best tangential to the discussion at hand, and when I questioned what they were on about I was accused of being "cranky and hard of reading". The third person who has seen fit to engage me in further nonsensical argument is you, seeing how you have questioned the reasoning behind those previous arguments how is what you've added of any value?

Should we just accept that "journalists" (two of whom working for the same publication) writing lazy hit pieces on their own life partners as being worthy of a wage which affords them what appear on the surface to be luxurious lifestyles?
    Were men to write about their wives in such a manner women on this site and everywhere else online would be up in arms, the men would most likely be removed from their jobs in yet we accept this nonsense being visited on men because that's just the way it is.

Added to this when somebody points out these inequalities the usual suspects on this site emerge from the woodwork attempting lazy targeting of those holding a light up to this lunacy, hurling insults then taking offence when someone defends themselves and then taking the moral high ground. It really is pathetic.

Nobody else cares about the bolded bit though. If they make a decent point in this thread, IMO that’s all that should matter. I often disagree with people one thread and agree with them or at least hear them out on another.

And I think electro-bitch made good points personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

tritium wrote: »

I read ot earlier and there are points that I agree with but in our case there is a bit of division of noticing the mess. I don't care or notice if grass needs cutting. I don't do gardening, I never did. Oh is constantly cutting grass. It's exactly the opposite in the house he can't understand why I am mopping the floor again when it's perfectly clean. We are both capable ignoring the weeds in the garden or dirty windows. :D you have to pick your battles.

Nobody else cares about the bolded bit though. If they make a decent point in this thread, IMO that’s all that should matter. I often disagree with people one thread and agree with them or at least hear them out on another.

And I think electro-bitch made good points personally.

Electro bitch was being openly insulting, glad you enjoyed it, affirms my opinion about you and your motives.

Electro bitch was being openly insulting, glad you enjoyed it, affirms my opinion about you and your motives.

Ah, so were you. Undermining people’s points by implying or outright saying that they are stupid.

Below is Kole Alive Fingertip’s first response to you on the thread:
    By that logic, what are you doing about the slaughter of young men in Syria? The gender imbalance in China and its impact on young men? The suicide rates in some Nordic and Asian countries? The appalling life expectancy of men in the entire developed world? The rates of incarceration and death by homicide in the states?

I'd say those are all bigger complaints than some Irish Times article about housework so presumably you can link to a load of your opining and activism about very serious issues affecting men halfway around the world since otherwise you're not allowed to talk about smaller issues which directly and daily affect you?

Where’s the open insult there? You responded by asking her what she was banging on about. I’m afraid you were the one who was rude to her first. For someone who was opining for adult discussion, you didn’t respond to her in a very adult way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

tritium wrote: »
    In the context of the discussion this article is pretty interesting. A little long but their conclusions seem somewhat intuitive

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2018/feb/17/dirty-secret-why-housework-gender-gap

And from reading the above article, it occurs to me that the men in the Op are probably not bothered in the slightest about what their wives say about them in relation to housework. Indeed imo many men would see it as a badge of honour not to be seen to be overly pernickety around household chores because like it says in the article, it's generally not tied into how men value themselves in any way whatsoever or how other people, apart from the wife, value them either. As the old joke goes, men do the household jobs badly so as not to be asked to do them again. So perhaps those on here who are outraged on those husbands' behalf are misplacing their energies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Another thing that I forgot to mention in my rant; both these women are at pains to remind everyone that they are in partnership with their spouses, at what point is it acceptable for somebody who has freely entered into such a partnership to publicly denigrate and essentially make a fool of their partner?

Most people take the marriage vows "lover, honour and obey" (obey being something that is a hangover from less enlightened times), surely honouring your partner is paramount. I couldn't imagine putting my name to an article in which I denigrated my wife publicly, how low can somebody sink?

Totally agree with this point. I cannot stand either person in a marriage or partnership criticising the other in public.

Have your rows in private but always always back up your partner in public. It's disrespectful and if you can do that to someone then you don't love them and shouldn't be with them.

I insult people who insult me.

I'm asserting that you are wrong because you are wrong, you're also all over me like a cheap suit, it's getting to be a bit much.

"I insult people who insult me"???

Okay, you've lost all credibility now. Are we back in school?

BBFAN wrote: »
    "I insult people who insult me"???

Okay, you've lost all credibility now. Are we back in school?

Hang on a second, I didn't come into this thread to argue with people, I made reasonable posts here and was discussing the topic. These people who have employed this type of tactic on other forums arrive in being obtuse and then openly insulting.
    I have a right to reply, I'm not hounding these people, they're the ones keeping it going, they can PM me if they want to continue the argument, but I'm not going to allow them to walk all over me.

Hang on a second, I didn't come into this thread to argue with people, I made reasonable posts here and was discussing the topic. These people who have employed this type of tactic on other forums arrive in being obtuse and then openly insulting.
    I have a right to reply, I'm not hounding these people, they're the ones keeping it going, they can PM me if they want to continue the argument.

Nope, you still said the words "I insult people who insult me". Grow up. No-one wants to know what other posters did in other forums.

I've supported some of your posts here but you're just acting childish by getting all uppity when someone disagrees with you.

You definitely have a bee in your bonnet about anyone who criticises males and it's showing more and more.

I' m surprised you haven't been warned or banned for this carry on to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- For soapboxing BBFAN and nullzero thread banned. Post again in this thread and forum bans will be handed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

meeeeh wrote: »
    Should Irish women invade Saudi Arabia and sort them out?

Don't worry. When Saudi Arabia or any other place is invaded guess who will be sharing the trenches with the rats. And guess who will be doing most of the writing about it in the Sunday Indopinion and elsewhere. And guess who will be lecturing about it in the gender studies faculties.

Advertisement