Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

:)
    blade1 wrote: »
    Was giving away something for free that cost over €200 new and in perfect working order.
    Someone said they'd take it but then they told me forget about it as I wouldn't drop it to their house 20 miles away!:eek:

Is selling on Adverts a joke u ask?
    I've had haemorrhoids that were funnier!:(

Swop for a half used tube of Preparation H, still in date. Must collect.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

What is the deal with all these people with no transport expecting you to deliver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

What is the deal with all these people with no transport expecting you to deliver?

"Are ya ever it *insert remote back arse of nowhere*?"

Would ya ever f*ck off. If you want it, come and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Yes I think there are people who are joking with the offers but otherwise it is a very good site, I sold lots of stuff there and also bought few, very pleased with it :)

If I write in my offer something like "please serious offers only" it seems to do the trick, plus also state the minimum amount for the offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Had a good experience recently. Put a load of old harden bricks up for free. First of many offers was agreed. Some eastern European woman who was very thankfull who needed then to block up a fireplace in her new home with her family. She bought our household some chocolate to say thanks. Also said how they were of great use in a PM later in the week.

Moral of the story. Some people are *****, weed then out. I don't deal with anyone with 20 negative feedback unless their positive feedback is like 400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This afternoon.......

Have something listed. Potential buyer asks me will I take X % of asking. I didn't really want to but I said ok just to get rid of it. Messaged back within 5 minutes accepting. Got a reply to say "got it elsewhere".

Checked their comments. They bid for the same item from 10 different sellers one after the other. Then bought from one of them and didn't bother withdrawing their offers from the other 9. Totally against the spirit of adverts and a sure fire WAY TO P*SS PEOPLE OFF!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

0ph0rce0 wrote:
    Saw an add there for a brand new Iphone 6s

0ph0rce0 wrote:
    Some Poster rights underneath it.

0ph0rce0 wrote:
    "SWAP FOR MY BLACKBERRY???"

Saw an ad for an iPhone 4, guy says he will consider a swap for a galaxy s6. What planet are some people living on seriously? That phone is probably worth 50 quid!! If that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Dard23 wrote: »
    Saw an ad for an iPhone 4, guy says he will consider a swap for a galaxy s6. What planet are some people living on seriously? That phone is probably worth 50 quid!! If that!!!

He probably meant 6 galaxy chocolate bars

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Checked their comments. They bid for the same item from 10 different sellers one after the other. Then bought from one of them and didn't bother withdrawing their offers from the other 9. Totally against the spirit of adverts and a sure fire WAY TO P*SS PEOPLE OFF!

That's a particular pain in the ass, happens a lot with some type of ads.

I'd usually go and check the buyers history/comments before accepting an offer to try and weed them out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Adverts is a seriously under estimated tool, I sold a lidl jigsaw for 3.50 whereas I would be stuck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Adverts is a seriously under estimated tool, I sold a lidl jigsaw for 3.50 whereas I would be stuck with it.

Glad you got rid of that heavy burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Were any of the pieces missing?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I had something for sale and same person bid same amount 3 times even though each time I politely said it was too low.

TheDriver wrote: »
    I had something for sale and same person bid same amount 3 times even though each time I politely said it was too low.

Ah go on...it's all I have/can afford...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I put up an ad and at the bottom said 'NO SWAPS' and the first 4 comments were swap offers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tandey

Say your selling a phone on adverts and a potential buyer wants to meet up to have a look and buy the phone.
    What's stopping him from running off with the phone? How is that combated?

Tandey wrote: »
    Say your selling a phone on adverts and a potential buyer wants to meet up to have a look and buy the phone.

Well in fairness that's not adverts responsibility.

But to answer your question, nothing really. Take the usual precautions - check their feedback scores, read their comments etc.

Tell them you'll meet them at your local Garda Station maybe.....? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Well in fairness that's not adverts responsibility.

But to answer your question, nothing really. Take the usual precautions - check their feedback scores, read their comments etc.

Tell them you'll meet them at your local Garda Station maybe.....? :D

Did you have much trouble in the end shifting that van load of Children of the Rising bukes you got stuck with?

Did you have much trouble in the end shifting that van load of Children of the Rising bukes you got stuck with?

That was funny so to speak. Unfortunately only you and I will get the joke so to speak. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Very common yeah. Seems to me as if a lot on it don't drive and plenty more would be prepared to haggle with ya over a tenner's worth of petrol. Then of course theres the high percentage of cnuts that just want something for nothing and would also like you to deliver it to them while you're at it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Tandey wrote: »

Meet in a coffee shop like a normal person and do the deal there :confused:.

Or in front of a super market ?. OR if you have someone who can come with you ?.

I learned the hard way always meet people in public places !!!!

Adverts needs to join Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

I put up an ad and at the bottom said 'NO SWAPS' and the first 4 comments were swap offers :(

Just write 'No swaps thanks, cash sale only'. Cut and paste it everytime a new user says it.

Look at it this way, everytime it is said it means that your ad will appear higher in the search results as it is more active and some users also sort search results by 'last commented'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Could adverts change their model such that when people bid they actually put the money into escrow?

Cos the amount of people tyre kicking and low balling with no intention of doing a deal, it's just nuts.

If the money was in escrow, the seller can just accept or reject and it forces the buyer to make a genuine offer instead of offering a half eaten sandwich and a copy of Garth Brooks on tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

This afternoon.......

Have something listed. Potential buyer asks me will I take X % of asking. I didn't really want to but I said ok just to get rid of it. Messaged back within 5 minutes accepting. Got a reply to say "got it elsewhere".

Did you leave negative feedback for them?

That make and offer, you accept, the pull out.

Leave negative feedback.

893bet wrote: »
    Did you leave negative feedback for them?

That make and offer, you accept, the pull out.

Leave negative feedback.

Oh I would have but they didn't make it as a formal offer, just asked "would you accept X?" in the comments section.

So I replied that I would if they made the offer formally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Over the past 6 years, I've done 100s of adverts meet ups, never had anything nicked. Very nearly got sold a dodgy phone a couple of years ago, but lucky I noticed before I handed any cash over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

I read alot of negative comments about adverts on this site, so I advertised my car on another site...but was getting low views. So I advertised on adverts and I found it much much better. I sold the car to the 1st interested who matched my intentions. I got more messages in 3 days on aderts than I got in one week on the other site.

Maybe I'm just not as upset from having to read an extra message or two as others, but I got what I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Ad listed in Dublin 2. For 375..

Offer :
    "120 straight cash deal.. will collect from Galway..."

What a ****ing knob.

• Advertisement

Just sold a car part for €10 earlier, I drove 30 miles to buyers house and took a swap on a duvet cover with matching pillows. Very happy, thanks to adverts.

Advertisement