Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just sold a car part for €10 earlier, I drove 30 miles to buyers house and took a swap on a duvet cover with matching pillows. Very happy, thanks to adverts.

Ironing? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I've given up on Adverts, it used to be a great site to do business through but in recent years its full of tyre kickers, wasters and downright mongs. If I'm paying for a listing to adverts and you comment under my ad offer ya 350 for a brand new 6S with an asking price of lets say 650 then I should be able to leave you negative feedback, or my peev is Reserve 600, OFFER: 600, Will you take 450? No, stop wasting my time, there is the price, now P off. Its not the site it used to be and Adverts should do more for those paying for their ads to combat these tyre kickers. Man I seriously hate Adverts in recent times and gone back to done deal unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I don't allow to pay for my stuff using paypal, ever. This is after I was screwed by a buyer when after number of weeks he filed a chargeback with paypal saying the item "wasn't as described" despite having no issues with it. Obviously paypal ruled in his favor as they always do. Rule of thumb - use PP for buying, don't use for selling, especially when bank transfer is just as easy with online banking these days.

I've recovered money this way eventually, seller claimed to have sent item, but it never arrived. They had no proof of postage except what they had taken a note of themselves, I actually bought two items off them and they charged me twice for postage as the wouldn't package the items together as they easily could have. They had good feedback overall but they had a few negatives about items not arriving. The seller also wanted me to send paypal amount as a gift, I only realised later must be so I couldn't reclaim via PayPal,paypal didn't actually refund me, but I related the entire thing to my credit card company who got me my refund. It was a trivial amount, but I suspected they were making money on loads of little sales and on the postage and probably not getting reported on most or any of it, and getting away with having to pay refunds. This was all after Adverts mods rejected my initial complaint, whee the seller had gotten very annoyed that I told them items never turned up, the they went quiet.
    I prefer cash and if possible, to never meet at my home, but generally I'm a buyer, have had OK sales too though.
    The idea of escrow as a previous poster mentioned just opens up the possibility of scamsellers getting buyers money regardless, opposed to scam buyers not following up, or even genuine buyers losing their money where an advert may not be as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm no cheerleader for Adverts.ie but I don't know where all the hate is coming from as its feedback system makes it 100 times safer to use than Done Deal. There are tyrekickers everywhere but you haven't much chance of identifying them on DoneDeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Adverts is better than most other sites imo.
    The comments allows for questions before you meet seller.
    The "Make an offer" option means you agree on a price before you meet seller.

My only grief with adverts are the "swappers" and these could easily be handled if adverts chose to do so.

I often sell stuff on adverts and only have the option to pickup in Galway city, still I always get "posted to Dublin?" Can't fight stupid I suppose..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's really not that difficult to type "sorry, no" to a few lowball or swap offers, and it's a lot less hassle than having randomers ringing you as happens with DoneDeal and Buy&Sell (does B&S still exist?). If you're getting nothing but lowball offers or requests to drive across the country, then you probably have the item priced too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

biko wrote: »
    Adverts is better than most other sites imo.
    The comments allows for questions before you meet seller.
    The "Make an offer" option means you agree on a price before you meet seller.

My only grief with adverts are the "swappers" and these could easily be handled if adverts chose to do so.

I often sell stuff on adverts and only have the option to pickup in Galway city, still I always get "posted to Dublin?" Can't fight stupid I suppose..

Swap for some used underwear?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's really not that difficult to type "sorry, no" to a few lowball or swap offers, and it's a lot less hassle than having randomers ringing you as happens with DoneDeal and Buy&Sell (does B&S still exist?). If you're getting nothing but lowball offers or requests to drive across the country, then you probably have the item priced too high.

Buy & Sell is gone - morphed into appliancesdelivered.ie :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Swap for some used underwear?

Washed or as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Washed or as is?

That's the Japanese adverts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Had another one there

Offered 75% asking price, i said no offers below asking

He then bumped his way up to €40 and said hed have to get a lend of the money, it wasnt even for him it was for his child's birthday. I said i dont want to take cash off anyone that has to put themselves in debt for it, that i wouldnt be comfortable with it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Saw one on a laptop earlier... seller in Donegal

"Can we meet in Dublin"

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Saw one on a laptop earlier... seller in Donegal

"Can we meet in Dublin"

Sorry about that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

He then bumped his way up to €40 and said hed have to get a lend of the money, it wasnt even for him it was for his child's birthday. I said i dont want to take cash off anyone that has to put themselves in debt for it, that i wouldnt be comfortable with it

He couldn't afford the forty euro?!

Dard23 wrote: »

Some people genuinely can't. Sad, but true.

Adverts has dramatically gone down hill since the talk to forum here on Boards closed down, we need it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The escrow idea is a good one. Really wish they'd implement that. The amount of times I get an offer only to check the bidders other comments and see them make 5/6 other offers on similar items...

Had an interesting run in this week. Guy selling a GoPro - brand new, still sealed - for well below asking. I asked him if he had a receipt, he said yes and posted a picture of it. It was a print your own receipt from the GoPro website. I could see the tracking number, and turns out this receipt belonged to a delivery made to California. I asked him about it, he claimed he ordered it when he was over there 2 weeks ago.

Who goes to California, orders a GoPro to be shipped to them while over there, doesn't open it, comes back to Ireland and lists it on Adverts at a big loss? He ignored that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Buy & Sell is gone - morphed into appliancesdelivered.ie :confused:

Ah, thank you. Was wondering how they had me on their mailing list

The escrow idea is a good one. Really wish they'd implement that. The amount of times I get an offer only to check the bidders other comments and see them make 5/6 other offers on similar items...

Had an interesting run in this week. Guy selling a GoPro - brand new, still sealed - for well below asking. I asked him if he had a receipt, he said yes and posted a picture of it. It was a print your own receipt from the GoPro website. I could see the tracking number, and turns out this receipt belonged to a delivery made to California. I asked him about it, he claimed he ordered it when he was over there 2 weeks ago.

Who goes to California, orders a GoPro to be shipped to them while over there, doesn't open it, comes back to Ireland and lists it on Adverts at a big loss? He ignored that question.

You should report him to the adverts team. People like that are f@cking it up for everyone else.

You should report him to the adverts team. People like that are f@cking it up for everyone else.

I have noticed that alot of reported users are still acting the donkey, does anyone care anymore. Adverts get their selling fee and let the rest feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I have used adverts as a buyer and a seller. Sure, it can be a PITA when people throw in low ballers, but if you keep it clean and don't engage with "is that for a wheel nut", your ad won't be cluttered with sh1te. Also setting a minimum bid opens you up to what I call "price finders". They are people who have no interest in the item, but put in offers until the system allows the lowest price to be entered.

It's also kind of stupid that people can WITHDRAW their ad when they clearly sold it through adverts and were too cheap to pay a seller fee. Pathetic!

Dard23 wrote: »

I hope he was just making it up as I felt quite sad after (im a sensitive guy what can i say)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Here is a classic example of an adverts bidding process. 32 inch tv in perfect condition costs €100

danielledempsey92 about a day ago
    €80 OFFERED
    50is my offer

BrianMcDonagh about a day ago
    @danielledempsey92 then why did u offer 80

BrianMcDonagh about a day ago
    @danielledempsey92 50 is way to low sorry

danielledempsey92 about a day ago
    It won't offer less just need it for gaming can go to 60

Stupid offer and "just need it for gaming" shouldn't devalue a perfectly good tv surely?

timmy880 wrote: »
    Stupid offer and "just need it for gaming" shouldn't devalue a perfectly good tv surely?

danielledempsey92 is just a donkey, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I get rubbish offers all the time but the best one was the time I was selling a 500GB laptop hard drive in perfect working order.

"Offer 5 inc postage"

Me: Sorry that's just a ridiculous, stupid offer.

"Might as well buy new otherwise"

(new one was about 40 euro plus postage)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

danielledempsey92 is just a donkey, simple as that.

Give her a break she was only born in 92!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Give her a break she was only born in 92!

Or the 92nd person in her family called danielledempsey

Today.....

Have a DVD box set on for €20.

Them: Offer 12

Me: Lowest I'll let it go for is €15

Them: Offer 10

:confused::confused::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Today.....

Have a DVD box set on for €20.

Them: Offer 12

Me: Lowest I'll let it go for is €15

Them: Offer 10

:confused::confused::rolleyes:

Worse is the scourges who'd offer you 14.

Like a single freaking euro is so important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Put a couple of bikes up for free the other day. My Jaysus it was hard work!

I wanted it gone ASAP, so picked the first person within 50 miles of my house (who was second in anyway) and got rounded on by the Munster person who was first in! Wouldnt let it go at all. Next time i put something up for free, I'll leave it out the front of the house and the first person who gets it, gets it!

Advertisement