Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I have to say I found adverts.ie great, bought and sold a ton of stuff using it, always great folks and never a bother meeting up with any of them.

Then distilled media decided to charge me for it, refuse to offer any form of discount for established users, and refused to offer any recognition for the fact that I was a boards.ie subscriber. So I cancelled my subscription, haven't sold anything on adverts since.

Cause and effect, with the greatest respect to the community management guys here at boards who I continue to think are all great people because that particular decision wasn't theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

I hate when people offer and then ask is it in good condition. When you offer its means you want to buy it, so ask the questions beforehand.

I got one recently saying that she wanted to buy my mattress but she did not have car, so asked would I be any time down in Kilkenny.
    The ad is displayed as from Leixlip Co. Kildare. Not too close to Kilkenny that's for sure.

And why the heck would I be down in Kilkenny unless there was a stag party on.

People think that adverts.ie is a charity or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I hate when people offer and then ask is it in good condition. When you offer its means you want to buy it, so ask the questions beforehand.

I got one recently saying that she wanted to buy my mattress but she did not have car, so asked would I be any time down in Kilkenny.
    The ad is displayed as from Leixlip Co. Kildare. Not too close to Kilkenny that's for sure.

And why the heck would I be down in Kilkenny unless there was a stag party on.

People think that adverts.ie is a charity or something?

Aigh plenty of tyre kickers and dreamers. There should be an Iq test to determine if you can join the site or not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Effects wrote: »
    But how can I be sure someone won't accept a swap unless I ask? Maybe they selected the no swaps option by accident and also didn't mean to type it in the description.
    I meant to say that the phone I am swapping is actually a Tractor...

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Can't stand it. To many time wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sdanseo wrote: »
    I have to say I found adverts.ie great, bought and sold a ton of stuff using it, always great folks and never a bother meeting up with any of them.

Then distilled media decided to charge me for it, refuse to offer any form of discount for established users, and refused to offer any recognition for the fact that I was a boards.ie subscriber. So I cancelled my subscription, haven't sold anything on adverts since.

Cause and effect, with the greatest respect to the community management guys here at boards who I continue to think are all great people because that particular decision wasn't theirs.

they are a business, donedeal isn't free either. I've bought and sold a fair bit of stuff on Adverts, never had a really bad experience. A few muppets making silly comments or offers on the ad is preferable to having those muppets calling your mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd rather chuck something in the recycling wheelie bin than use adverts tbh. Full of absolute numpties using their Mother's broadband connection.

Whatever about selling something relatively valuable, I cannot understand people who go to the trouble of trying to sell cheap sh1te that no one wants... "3 pack of Dunnes Stores Y-fronts. Only worn once".

I've got old smart phones thrown in drawers here that would possibly fetch a few quid if I was really pushed... But they'll be antiques before I ever bother offloading them. I guess some folks have a bit of wheeler dealer Del Boy in them whereas I really can't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Why do people sell things for very small amounts that only cost a small amount in a shop?

At the moment there is someone selling a peanut Kit Kat for €1.

Fair enough if you're selling something that is worth two or three times that or can't be had anymore.

Then again maybe peanut Kit Kats are discontinued and I have just highlighted bargain for the century.

Its a good way to meet people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Surely selling something for a quid is taking the piss? Unless you have boxes and boxes of them and your trying to sell them in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Whatever about selling something relatively valuable, I cannot understand people who go to the trouble of trying to sell cheap sh1te that no one wants... "3 pack of Dunnes Stores Y-fronts. Only worn once".

Made me lol :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Free car air freshener
    http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/car-air-freshener/9779534

One interested party, "what does it smell like?"

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on adverts and never had a problem. Most people I've dealt were decent enough. I only ever came across one or two people who had, how should I put it, issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

Another person placed an offer for €220 on my ad today. Accepted and PM'd them to exchange details. His reply was "sorry just bought one for 209e" and withdrew.

Getting annoyed now at time wasters like this. If it happens again I'm moving the ad elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Garzard wrote: »
    Another person placed an offer for €220 on my ad today. Accepted and PM'd them to exchange details. His reply was "sorry just bought one for 209e" and withdrew.

Getting annoyed now at time wasters like this. If it happens again I'm moving elsewhere.

I hear Panama is warm this time it year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I gave away a perfect dvd player with the remote with batteries for Free

.....the person that got it left negative feedback because it didn't have a scart cable included.........New dvd players dont come with scart leads ether

I never mentioned it did nor was it pictured

Really annoyed me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Dia1988 wrote: »

.....the person that got it left negative feedback because it didn't have a scart cable included.........New dvd players dont come with scart leads ether

Really annoyed me!!

I hope you got that feedback removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Really annoyed me!!

what an ashat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I hope you got that feedback removed.

I got them to remove it eventually before shaming them with how ungrateful they were and how I regretted giving free items to such leeches on society.

In future, I've donated things like that to SVP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

I got them to remove it eventually before shaming them with how ungrateful they were and how I regretted giving free items to such leeches on society.

In future, I've donated things like that to SVP

when I am giving something for free I always check peoples own ads, the amount of people that will give a bleeding heart story to get a free TV but then have 2 for sale themselves. Vultures

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats with the muppets that don't put a price in the ad.
    how am I going to consider buying it if I don't know the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I had an ad up for a Bruce ticket only a few hours.

Got a text from some plonker.

"Is the ticket still for sale?"

"It is yeah."

No reply since..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aongus Von Heisenberg

whats with the muppets that don't put a price in the ad.
    how am I going to consider buying it if I don't know the price

I think the rationale for "POA" is that the vendor refuses to bid against himself.
    It always struck me as nonsense, especially on Adverts where even the first bid for a private jet would be 200 and a broken minidisc player.

It must work for some people though, otherwise it wouldn't be so prevalent. I'd love someone who uses it to explain it to me sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

It always struck me as nonsense, especially on Adverts where even the first bid for a private jet would be 200 and a broken minidisc player.
    in a similar vein, when the first bid for a real spaceship is 250 and a Samsung Galaxy smartphone with a cracked screen.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I was selling a large leather suite of furniture. Cost €3200 new but I put it up for €150 as I just wanted to someone to take it away.
    One couple called to the house and she was very surprised when she saw it - "........oh, its not new......."

What were you expecting for 150 quid? :eek:

Get out of my house you clown!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 angiemccormack

I tried selling once and it was reeeely stressful....people make no sense. Buy I have bought often and it was all good every time. Maybe because I'm a buyer that actually makes sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I tried selling once and it was reeeely stressful....people make no sense. Buy I have bought often and it was all good every time. Maybe because I'm a buyer that actually makes sense :)

Buying is grand if you just go straight in with a fair/decent offer in my experience. No hassle most of the time that way.

Selling is a disaster though.. low-ball chancers, offers to swap you whatever crap they can't shift themselves, first posts being "what's your best price" etc.

As a seller with decent feedback you should be able to just block or delete that crap yourself as otherwise you end up with an ad cluttered with nonsense that puts others off I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 angiemccormack

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Buying is grand if you just go straight in with a fair/decent offer in my experience. No hassle most of the time that way.

Selling is a disaster though.. low-ball chancers, offers to swap you whatever crap they can't shift themselves, first posts being "what's your best price" etc.

As a seller with decent feedback you should be able to just block or delete that crap yourself as otherwise you end up with an ad cluttered with nonsense that puts others off
    Yeah, I just always give a decent offer or the one the seller indicated and it's a done deal in a short time. Selling just stresses me out so now I just get rid of my stuff by offering it to people I know :) hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

As a seller with decent feedback you should be able to just block or delete that crap yourself as otherwise you end up with an ad cluttered with nonsense that puts others off I reckon.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Was giving away something for free that cost over €200 new and in perfect working order.
    Someone said they'd take it but then they told me forget about it as I wouldn't drop it to their house 20 miles away!:eek:

Is selling on Adverts a joke u ask?
    I've had haemorrhoids that were funnier!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Saw an add there for a brand new Iphone 6s

Some Poster rights underneath it.

"SWAP FOR MY BLACKBERRY???"

I don't get it? Why would someone swap a phone costing 700-800 for a used phone not worth a 100 quid?

It's a bit mad alright

Advertisement