Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump - the Megathread - read Mod warning in OP

Options
  • 31-10-2020 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭

This is a question I have been thinking about recently, as I listen to the vast amount of anti-Trump media coverage.

People the world over have been going apoplectic about him since he got into office, and our own country is no different.

It appears all the media outlets have no issue showing their bias, be it TodayFM with the likes of Matt Cooper, or RTE with Tubridy et al. Its non-stop anti-Trump.

They tell us how it would be terrible if he was re-elected, and I got to thinking "how has Trump being POTUS affected me personally". And I realised it hasn't, not one iota. OK so he's an a$$h0le and many other things, but my life is totally unaffected by him being the most powerful man in the world. If I was an American or living in the US it would be different, but I don't.

So can any Irish resident give a genuine answer to the question "how has Trump being President affected your life negatively".

Mod warning 07/11/20
    Beasty wrote: »
    Same principles apply here as in the election threads. If you are just using this thread to have a swipe at Trump you will be considered trolling

Best way to avoid that is to stay clear of such threads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Barred out of America for the foreseeable future. I don’t see it as a massive debilitating negative though either.

I think people can and should be critical of America and its foreign policy but that shouldn’t be condensed into one individual. America as it is constructed and its imperialism is the problem not a particular President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

NIMAN wrote: »
    This is a question I have been thinking about recently, as I listen to the vast amount of anti-Trump media coverage.

People the world over have been going apoplectic about him since he got into office, and our own country is no different.

It appears all the media outlets have no issue showing their bias, be it TodayFM with the likes of Matt Cooper, or RTE with Tubridy et al. Its non-stop anti-Trump.

They tell us how it would be terrible if he was re-elected, and I got to thinking "how has Trump being POTUS affected me personally". And I realised it hasn't, not one iota. OK so he's an a$$h0le and many other things, but my life is totally unaffected by him being the most powerful man in the world. If I was an American or living in the US it would be different, but I don't.

So can any Irish resident give a genuine answer to the question "how has Trump being President affected your life negatively".

I like to keep up to date with world news.
    I really dislike listening to liars and morons.

Trump negatively effects my life by bringing these two things together on an extremely consistent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Every time I hear him speak it makes me want to scrape out my eardrums with a fork rather than listen to another word. The stuff he says is so fantastically stupid that it actually makes me feel pity for him which is quite a feat.

I guess you could say that's a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

The most negative effect Trump has on me is that I am sick to the back teeth of hearing about him and seeing him and of every conversation I have been in for the last four years somehow ending up being about him. I no longer care if he wins or loses. I just want him to go away!

I learned a lot about how the media and people work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Every time I hear him speak it makes me want to scrape out my eardrums with a fork rather than listen to another word. The stuff he says is so fantastically stupid that it actually makes me feel pity for him which is quite a feat.

I guess you could say that's a negative.

You don't have to listen to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hatred towards this man , constantly drummed by social media means that people can spend most of their time hating him and not taking notice of the real issues affecting them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I have investments in the American Stock Market and did quite well over the last 4 years under Trumps "Leadership".

If I was voting in this election it wouldn't be as easy as I would have thought, Biden is a very poor alternative.

A lot of Americans are single issue voters, I have family who , regardless of anything else, are staunchly anti abortion and would vote Republican no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

He brought a hell of lot of unpredictability to the world. From an Irish point of view, he’s supported Brexit, which could well undermine our economy and even NI peace, he’s gone absolutely out of his way to undermine very successful multilateralism in global affairs and he’s fed every conspiracy theorist nut job you could possibly name, including all of those who’ve been undermining the ability to deal with COVID-19 over the past few months.

The US is far from some benign power, I’m not going to go singing the praises of any US president. It has done plenty damage, driven wars and all sorts of things under far less crazy presidents, but this guy just takes the biscuit. His only saving grace, so far, is that he hasn’t gone to war and I honestly wouldn’t put it past him to do so. He’s totally unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

I moved to the USA from Ireland a few months before the election in 2016. it has been nothing but positive career wise and investment wise. I'm no fan of Trump but would Biden be any different? Everytime I go home I'm amazed by how much I hear about Trump in the Irish media. The average American pays less attention to US politics than the average Irish person. I don't think Irish people understand that politics plays a smaller role in you life here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Has opened my eyes to how unbalanced the media is and to how most people cannot form their own opinion.

So few here are completely closed to the idea that Trump may ever do something good.
    All opinions are pre determined according to the subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Have a ton of family in the UK and throughout Europe and so with ISIS attacks such as the Manchester Arena bombing, Paris Bataclan theatre massacre, Berlin Christmas Market truck attack and Brussels Airport attack etc etc, taking out al Baghdadi for sure has reduced the probability of similar future attacks in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Pros:

• Exposes liberal hypocrisy

• Funniest president ever

• Original thinker

Cons:

• Absolute madman

• Foghorn voice

• Probably a fascist

But he hasn't affected me – yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

440Hertz wrote: »
    He brought a hell of lot of unpredictability to the world. From an Irish point of view, he’s supported Brexit, which could well undermine our economy and even NI peace, he’s gone absolutely out of his way to undermine very successful multilateralism in global affairs and he’s fed every conspiracy theorist nut job you could possibly name, including all of those who’ve been undermining the ability to deal with COVID-19 over the past few months.

The US is far from some benign power, I’m not going to go singing the praises of any US president. It has done plenty damage, driven wars and all sorts of things under far less crazy presidents, but this guy just takes the biscuit. His only saving grace, so far, is that he hasn’t gone to war and I honestly wouldn’t put it past him to do so. He’s totally unpredictable.

He supported Brexit, yes, but he didn't cause it to happen.
    The Brits did that all on their own.

I'm getting the responses I kinda expected to get, basically giving examples of why people don't like him.

But no examples of how he has affected your life in Ireland, because I honestly don't think he has (bar maybe getting someone sent home or not allowed in).

Its just that I know some people who are very vocal on their hatred for him, and I just don't get it. I couldn't give a monkeys if he gets another term because my life won't chance. Nor will 99.99% of those Irish who post anti Trump stuff to social media all the time.

Rodin wrote: »
    So few here are completely closed to the idea that Trump may ever do something good.

You'd have to define what you mean by "good"?

Under his leadership has the United States actually improved under any quantifiable metric on which we rank countries?
    I suppose he gave everyone a tax cut so I'll give him "Take home salary" but has there been an improvement in anything else that actually matters to society as a whole?
    Access to healthcare?
    Social mobility?
    Education?
    Student debt?
    Wealth redistribution?

You talk as if either side of political spectrum in the US cares about those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It completely opened my eyes to the biased media and had some part to play in changing my political views from unthinking liberal leftie to centre-right.

You'd have to define what you mean by "good"?

Under his leadership has the United States actually improved under any quantifiable metric on which we rank countries?
    I suppose he gave everyone a tax cut so I'll give him "Take home salary" but has there been an improvement in anything else that actually matters to society as a whole?
    Access to healthcare?
    Social mobility?
    Education?
    Student debt?
    Wealth redistribution?

That question could be asked of many world leaders, they don't get the hate though.

I'm getting the responses I kinda expected to get, basically giving examples of why people don't like him.

But no examples of how he has affected your life in Ireland, because I honestly don't think he has (bar maybe getting someone sent home or not allowed in).

Its just that I know some people who are very vocal on their hatred for him, and I just don't get it. I couldn't give a monkeys if he gets another term because my life won't chance. Nor will 99.99% of those Irish who post anti Trump stuff to social media all the time.

To be fair, Bill Clinton's presidency had absolutely no effect on my life while he was in office (as I was in school the entire time) and yet it was his repealing of depression-era financial legislation that was one of the main contributors to the financial crisis 7 years after he left the presidency. And that affected nearly everyone on the planet.

Most policies politicians implement won't be felt until long after they leave office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

John Doe1 wrote: »
    It completely opened my eyes to the biased media and had some part to play in changing my political views from unthinking liberal leftie to centre-right.

This. I did arts in trinity, I'm the lowest hanging fruit for progressives ever. But the more ppl accuse trump of populism and arguing about the supreme Court appointments, while not declaring their own political allegiances in this country and defo not able to name any judge at all in our court..

Then again, is trump the reason for such polarisation? Was it the media? Chicken egg? That's his legacy anyway, ppl digging in deeper along sectarian lines essentially. That was not a good thing.

You talk as if either side of political spectrum in the US cares about those things.

He said people were blind to the good Trump does, how would you define "good"?

That question could be asked of many world leaders, they don't get the hate though.

Trump basically begs people to hate him though. I don't see many world leaders as tone-deaf as he is either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,205 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

in no meaningful way.

which is irrelevant really.

like how did obama impact your life?

bill george?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I despise the man. I think he's an obnoxious, revolting walrus who adores himself despite the fact that he probably smells like 300 year old farts.

I think i heard that if he wins the election, Boris will go for a no deal....if he loses, Boris will try to get some sort of deal done. Don't quote me on that, but if it's true, it will affect us.

in no meaningful way.

bill george?

to quote myself.

makes me wonder, the people that campaign against him...very easy question....what's the reason?

in no meaningful way.

bill george?

You are just making my point for me, they didn't. None of them changed my life at all.
    But I think the hate for Trump is on a completely different level to these guys.

So basically I don't get why so many people get so agitated by Trump, your life won't change one bit if he gets re-elected, so calm down!

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I despise the man. I think he's an obnoxious, revolting walrus who adores himself despite the fact that he probably smells like 300 year old farts.

I think i heard that if he wins the election, Boris will go for a no deal....if he loses, Boris will try to get some sort of deal done. Don't quote me on that, but if it's true, it will affect us.

i'm not a lawyer (watched suits though). usually you need some evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Orange man = bad
    Man who kneels to mob= good

• Advertisement

You are just making my point for me, they didn't. None of them changed my life at all.
    But I think the hate for Trump is on a completely different level to these guys.

So basically I don't get why so many people get so agitated by Trump, your life won't change one bit if he gets re-elected, so calm down!

i agree entirely. think there was a loss ion translation.

Advertisement