Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump - the Megathread - read Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Zero effect by him directly.

The reporting and sneering towards him by the media has made me more cynical and understanding of the sheer power of the media to set a narrative.

This in turn has emboldened the far left to get more radical and aggressive without proper scrutiny. Which has also led to a far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This in turn has emboldened the left to get more radical and aggressive without proper scrutiny or punishment

He's clearly one of the most corrupt presidents ever to sit office

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

His presidency has caused the "culture war" to grow and while at first it was something I'd only see on social media but it seems to have propogated conspiracy theories which I'm losing some friends to. I think he's a symptom, a large symptom, of a much bigger problem in general.

People saying Russia backing him is a hoax are clearly missing the point. I don't think the Russians completely manipulated the election but they certainly done what they could to help his profile online. Its in their benefit to destabilise a competitor, expect the Chinese and many others to be doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Agree with previous poster who brought up pulling out of the Paris accord.
    As a large industrial nation, that's a harmful stance to us all. And it's not that the Paris accord was perfect, but it was acknowledging a problem and working toward a solution. For trump to say F* that, we don't care. Just blew my mind.

circadian wrote:
    His presidency has caused the "culture war" to grow and while at first it was something I'd only see on social media but it seems to have propogated conspiracy theories which I'm losing some friends to. I think he's a symptom, a large symptom, of a much bigger problem in general.

Hes definitely a symptom, and I'm hoping we all learn from this in many ways, as our own presidential election showed us, we 're well capable of going full retard, when it comes to elections, thankfully we didn't

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Which makes zero differeence to me as an Irish person living in Ireland

Which makes zero differeence to me as an Irish person living in Ireland

As others have explained, by God it does, we 're not existing in a bubble here

As others have explained, by God it does, we 're not existing in a bubble here

How has his corruption effected the average Irish person?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

My Father and Aunt watching him a lot between the news channels on TV, YouTube and articles on the internet. I'd say they're probably more well aware of Trump/Bidens latest rally then what's happening over here between NPHET and the government.

If that seems that obsessive, they can be forgiven for having their children, their grandchildren and other miscellaneous people they know still living there.

Besides that, not much. I have friends living there who've felt an increase in hostility and racism towards them (i.e. an Vietnamese-American girl being spat on because she "brought in Covid") or the daughter of the Aunt above who works in teaching, having to go through drills now with the kids on what to do if there's a school shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭valoren

I think it's the idea that he is a self-absorbed narcissistic bully. No nuance, no atriculation just pompous insulting rhetoric all the time. People have a visceral reaction to such people and considering he holds such an office then he is practically in the news cycle every day. It's exhausting to keep pace with the chaos people like Trump enagage in. With toxic ass holes like Trump, the epitome of a well heeled spoofer, a carnival barking con man, we can usually avoid them. Even Dubya didn't elicit such a visceral reaction because he was at least coherent with a modicum of intelligence. It's not just him, it's the supporters who can't see the wood for the trees and the cognitive dissonance they engage in is fascinating.

If Trump was a personality ordered President obsessed with American self-interest, who had hired an admin he thought was best for the country, then he wouldn't warrant as much attention. He posited himself as the successful business man, the tough negotiating patriot. Most see it as the embarrassing con it is. He owes $400 million to god knows who which is due during what would be his second term. The grifting engaged in during his first term makes sense in lieu of that becoming public knowledge.

He'd likely be getting re-elected, with no fanfare, if he could act remotely presidential. The pandemic was a knock it out of the park opportunity but he managed to fumble it to the surprise of nobody. As it is, then I think voters in the US have a clarity which they didn't have in 2016. His "whaddaya got to lose/drain the swamp" narrative doesn't work this time around. His grand promises have been empty. You know that visceral reaction when watching a movie when the antagonist finally get's their comeuppance? I hope the schadenfreude will be immense next week when we see such a narcissist's ego take an incredible blow. The best legacy Trump will leave is that post-truth is very dangerous. Given the 20k plus verified lies he's told then the idea of people seeing the worthwhileness of fact-checking is a positive development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Trump doesn't start foreign wars because there's no money in it for him. He's not connected with the oil crowd and military industrial complex like Bush, Cheney and their administration were.

• Plode wrote: »
    Pros:

• Exposes liberal hypocrisy

• Funniest president ever

• Original thinker

Cons:

• Absolute madman

• Foghorn voice

• Probably a fascist

But he hasn't affected me – yet.

How is he an original thinker?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The real question is, who is everyone going to blame for everything when he's not around anymore?

Glazers Out!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,296 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

His environmental policies effect us all.

Pulling out of the Paris accord will effect us all in the future.

Hopefully Biden can turn that oil tanker quickly enough

sydthebeat wrote: »
    His environmental policies effect us all.

Pulling out of the Paris accord will effect us all in the future.

Hopefully Biden can turn that oil tanker quickly enough

I'm sure he will. It's not as if he hasn't been in politics for almost 50 years at this stage. I'm sure he will get onto it straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I'm sure he will. It's not as if he hasn't been in politics for almost 50 years at this stage. I'm sure he will get onto it straight away.

Haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

He's certainly in the top 45!

US has an abysmal track record on environmentalism. They are all talk and nice promises but no action.
    I don't see it chaging anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cirrus Incus

The only critique I have of Trump is his stance on climate change. Four more years of Trump will mean limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius will be impossible. This impacts on everyone even if its effects aren't immediately obvious. It's not reversible like his other policies, or lack thereof, are. Otherwise the chaos he's caused has been very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Apart from Clinton and his role in the GFA, and the role that agreement played in Irish economic improvement (and not sure how signigifcant either of those roles were), I think US presidents have very very little impact on our emerald isle.

Trump's support for Brexit will have some impact, and the decisions he has made on climate change will have some impact on the world in general.

But mostly he, or any other US president, couldn't care less about us. Some shamrock on March 17 and maybe a stopover on the way to a more important ally, a flying visit on a world tour, or the odd multinations meeting in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

corazon wrote: »
    I moved to the USA from Ireland a few months before the election in 2016. it has been nothing but positive career wise and investment wise. I'm no fan of Trump but would Biden be any different? Everytime I go home I'm amazed by how much I hear about Trump in the Irish media. The average American pays less attention to US politics than the average Irish person. I don't think Irish people understand that politics plays a smaller role in you life here.

I lived in the states around 10 years ago. I couldn't disagree more, every American I knew/know are was well versed in their political views. Extremely polarized every single one of them.

Maybe Trump is like Brexit in the UK, people are done arguing so they just don't bring it up anymore?

I find it funny that this thread was created by an Irish person, there's an irony in it. I doubt this same poster created a thread about why people loved Obama or Clinton so much.

The Don is like the American version of a Healthy Rae. An absolute embarrassment to the country that there's people thick enough to vote for him.

Politicians are an unfortunate part of life. I don't get my moral compass from them and like all humans I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them but christ there has to be some sort of standard.

hes made message boards unusable and stirred up the crazies on both sides to an unvearable extent

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Trump provided me with endless entertainment with his daily press conferences during the first lockdown, for that I am thankful.

On the man himself, I think he is not as stupid as he comes across, he cant be to have got where he is, it's the people who support him that cant be too bright. A bankrupt billionaire born with a silver spoon in his mouth as a voice for the ordinary working people? Yeah right, it was a stroke of genius how he managed to sell that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He is an obnoxious individual but his policies both domestic and foreign, have been quite moderate, in that sense, he actually hurts himself by being so unnecessarily crude

His ultra thin skin makes him get involved in scraps about nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Have a ton of family in the UK and throughout Europe and so with ISIS attacks such as the Manchester Arena bombing, Paris Bataclan theatre massacre, Berlin Christmas Market truck attack and Brussels Airport attack etc etc, taking out al Baghdadi for sure has reduced the probability of similar future attacks in Europe.

You're being sarcastic, I presume? Or has the certainty of similar attacks (in France and Germany) this month - including a church massacre in Nice only a few days ago - passed you by?

So "taking out al Baghdadi" counts as a nothing on the list of Trump achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

rustynutz wrote: »
    Trump provided me with endless entertainment with his daily press conferences during the first lockdown, for that I am thankful.

On the man himself, I think he is not as stupid as he comes across, he cant be to have got where he is, it's the people who support him that cant be too bright. A bankrupt billionaire born with a silver spoon in his mouth as a voice for the ordinary working people? Yeah right, it was a stroke of genius how he managed to sell that one.

Uniquely American thing, even the poor look up to great wealth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I had a lovely red baseball cap thst I loved to wear but can't anymore thanks to him. So yeah he's affected me big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I had a lovely red baseball cap thst I loved to wear but can't anymore thanks to him. So yeah he's affected me big time

Baseball caps are weird anyway. Stay clear of them. An otherwise sartorially elegant pal of mine showed up this week wearing a bleached denim baseball cap with some kind of disco motto on it. I think there was even a sparkly glass stick on over an i, but cannot be sure as I had quickly averted my gaze from his embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The Paris climate accords were drafted when Biden was VP, and then Trump promptly withdrew. So you, just like the idiots who thanked your post, are just as uneducated as Trump.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement

He has affected us by taking up a serious amount of air-time in Irish media (especially RTE) which has probably pushed out Irish stories due to lack of available space.

Advertisement