Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump - the Megathread - read Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    ...he probably smells like 300 year old farts.

Tremendous, as Trump himself would say. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"I'm the best smelling guy in the world"

He said people were blind to the good Trump does, how would you define "good"?

As a non-American, I consider his lack of wars and his handling of NK testing a thermonuclear bomb to be good. I'm happy with his focus on America. Just a pity the rest of the world followed suit.

He's given me a good heads up about loons on boards that should be avoided. Thanks Don.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

People are just so wound up about Trump that very few can actually put together a coherent argument as to why they dislike him.
    It's usually just regurgitation or slogans like "he's bad for democracy".

He's a cowboy, but he comes from a long line of cowboy American presidents.

He also knows his target audience very well.
    As thick as people like to think he is, he's shrewd enough to be a billionaire but market himself as a friend of the an ordinary blue collar man.

Some of the stuff he says is absolutely bonkers but again there's plenty of quotes online from the likes of Bush Jr or Clinton that will top anything he has said.

Obama wasn't the saviour he was made out to be. Trump hasn't brought the world to its knees. And Biden (If he gets in) won't be any type of saviour. He's already said he'd veto any attempts at a universal health care system, something America could really do with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

he's shrewd enough to be a billionaire
    He was born rich. Not only that he's buggered businesses several times. Plus, he's now in debt even though he's only paid 750 quid in taxes. There's nothing "shrewd" going on here. He had the best start in life anyone could hope for.

Tony EH wrote: »
    He was born rich. Not only that he's buggered businesses several times. Plus, he's now in debt even though he's only paid 750 quid in taxes. There's nothing "shrewd" going on here. He had the best start in life anyone could hope for.

That's a very Irish view to entrepreneurship. Going bankrupt is better than never trying at all in America. The only people I feel shame around when my now failed business is talked about is Irish people whereas American people think it's great I tried and it's just a step towards success.. There's no pitiful looks.

Americans don't care about some of his many businesses failing. Why would they. It's in their psyche to try. It's like the basis of their entire American Dream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

you don't see the effects

but if he was elected you will see him get rid of
    un-who-anything that trys to get rid of climate change
    you will see more tarrifs on European goods
    also the millions of Americans allowed to travel with covid
    will infect other countries as he does nothing
    to prevent ith as he's friends with Russia hes pulling out of nato leaving Europe unprotected

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/24/762351729/president-trump-to-address-u-n-general-assembly

That's probably due more to Steve Bannon's internet propoganda shenanigans: to gradually pull everything to the right, without anyone noticing.

Next thing you know, you're goosestepping down O'Connell Street going "WTF?!".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

jenneyk19 wrote: »
    you don't see the effects

but if he was elected you will see him get rid of
    un-who-anything that trys to get rid of climate change
    you will see more tarrifs on European goods
    also the millions of Americans allowed to travel with covid
    will infect other countries as he does nothing
    to prevent ith as he's friends with Russia hes pulling out of nato leaving Europe unprotected

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/24/762351729/president-trump-to-address-u-n-general-assembly

what has trump done wrong;
    or mores the point why are you so anti trump?

• Advertisement

Plode wrote: »
    That's probably due more to Steve Bannon's internet propoganda shenanigans: to gradually pull everything to the right, without anyone noticing.

Next thing you know, you're goosestepping down O'Connell Street going "WTF?!".

are we that clueless do you think?

in dictatorships, what is usually the 1st to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

You also have to remember that Americans tend to both blame and credit presidents with far too much.

Economic cycles can be just that and many policies and regulatory changes are nothing to do with the presidency. There are also major time lags, so what happened in one four year term, is very often played out in the next one in terms of economics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

That's a very Irish view to entrepreneurship. Going bankrupt is better than never trying at all in America. The only people I feel shame around when my now failed business is talked about is Irish people whereas American people think it's great I tried and it's just a step towards success.. There's no pitiful looks.

Americans don't care about some of his many businesses failing. Why would they. It's in their psyche to try. It's like the basis of their entire American Dream.

And if your father left you $400 million and a heap of connections with New York's rich list I'm sure your business would have been a success.

Also, regardless of the American dream, economic mobility in the US is lower than here in Ireland, in fact, it's lower than most European nations. So, while they may have the psyche it doesn't actually work out for them as much as other developed nations.

Source.

are we that clueless do you think?

in dictatorships, what is usually the 1st to go?

The very first thing Trump, er, Bannon, did after the inauguration, was to call the media liars about the size of the turnout.

They were testing the freedom of the press, if you ask me.

Plode wrote: »
    The very first thing Trump, er, Bannon, did after the inauguration, was to call the media liars about the size of the turnout.

They were testing the freedom of the press, if you ask me.

trump ran on a whim, i think thats fair (fare). JB has been around sound the 70's and has done nothing but turn himself into a millionaire (possible his whole family as well), but thats find, thats jsut joe

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

trump ran on a whim, i think thats fair (fare). JB has been around sound the 70's and has done nothing but turn himself into a millionaire (possible his whole family as well), but thats find, thats jsut joe

What has that got to do with anything you just quoted?

i'm confused. what i said was true or not?

are these not the facts?

maybe the president didnt give up his salary?

what a greedy ****er

Trump didn't run on a whim. He tried a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

People have been absolutely deranged about Trump. I cannot believe it occupies so much Irish media. George Bush looked practically like an idiot, and said crazy stuff. Bill Clinton was accused by multiple women of rape all through his public life and was getting blowjobs from the intern in the Oval office. Obama got a pre-emptive Nobel peace prize for being black and having funky swagger. Trump follows in a usual mould of very rich people with odd personalities who were backed by deeply embedded corporate interests to preside for a while over the US. Zero effect on my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah I live here and he has had literally zero effect on my life. (As a person who can't vote and isn't a US citizen but still lives here, I feel some kind of impartially but I can see he is bad for the country overall)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

NIMAN wrote: »

It appears all the media outlets have no issue showing their bias, be it TodayFM with the likes of Matt Cooper, or RTE with Tubridy et al. Its non-stop anti-Trump.

Matt Cooper has been insufferable with his sneering on his American slot the last few years

Talks over the journalists he invites on and is condescending. Today FM must pay good money if they keep coming back

George Hook did his American slot much better. He invited a right wing American radio host on his show, I forget his name. I disagreed with pretty much everything he said but dammit he was entertaining. :D Great banter between them

Edit : Michael Graham was the chaps name

It creeps in everywhere. I listen to Lyric FM on the long drive in the morning if I go into work because it is relaxing. And even Marty Whelan has to sigh and sound deeply regretful if he reads Trump's name in the paper round up. As if all sensible people must do this poignant acting out of sorrow regarding the subject. I just think get up the yard with your melodramatics, just like almost all previous US incumbents he has no effect on your nice cushie life.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Is his stance on climate change not bad for everybody? Pulling out of the Paris agreement, replacing the Clean Power Plan, rolling back fuel efficiency standards.

I'm not saying they were good or even sufficient. But they were small steps in the right direction. Whereas he's just going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Hasn't affected my life at all but outside of the US he's emboldened people towards the further right of centre politics to be much more vocal than they used to be (in recent years). How far right is open to endless discussion.

I'm not a fan, but it's he much worse/any worse than what's gone before? As has been said he's not really any more of an imperialist than most other US Presidents, Obama loved a good bombing as much as the next man. Also, the police there didn't just suddenly become militarised with Trump, the prisons weren't suddenly full of black men. He'll be a scapegoat for the political classes, not sure he'll care, I think he was in it for the lols.

/HelicopterPost

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Is his stance on climate change not bad for everybody? Pulling out of the Paris agreement, replacing the Clean Power Plan, rolling back fuel efficiency standards.

All governments stances on environmental issues has been a load of codswallop for decades. Carbon credits? Polluter pays? Basically if you are a ginormously wealthy corporation you can sequester carbon in monoculture forests in Leitrim or buy the right to completely fcuk up the environment in some poor country, but anyway preferably somewhere very far away from your CEO's enviable zero carbon eco-home on a vast ranch in some pristine nature reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

People here are over dependent on social media as if that's new news!

I couldn't give a care in regard to Trump. It's not my country or my vote

that put him there! We have enough issues on our own little island to be

concerned about!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

NIMAN wrote:
    They tell us how it would be terrible if he was re-elected, and I got to thinking "how has Trump being POTUS affected me personally". And I realised it hasn't, not one iota. OK so he's an a$$h0le and many other things, but my life is totally unaffected by him being the most powerful man in the world. If I was an American or living in the US it would be different, but I don't.

He's having more of an affect on you than you think....
    Gruffalux wrote:
    All governments stances on environmental issues has been a load of codswallop for decades. Carbon credits? Polluter pays? Basically if you are a ginormously wealthy corporation you can sequester carbon in monoculture forests in Leitrim or buy the right to completely fcuk up the environment in some poor country, but anyway preferably somewhere very far away from your CEO's enviable zero carbon eco-home on a vast ranch in some pristine nature reserve.

.....welcome to neoliberalism and it's partner in crime, neoclassical economics!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

He wiped Hilary off the political chessboard exposing all her dirty little secrets on the way. For that we should all forever be grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

He wiped Hilary off the political chessboard exposing all her dirty little secrets on the way. For that we should all forever be grateful.

...and replaced them with his own, even more ****ter ones

Advertisement