Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump - the Megathread - read Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

drogon. wrote: »
    I would have though any POTUS would have stood up to them for the murder of a journalist, Trump even went as far as rejecting the CIA conclusion that he was murdered by the Saudi's initially.

That being said didn't the American Gov prevent 9/11 survivors and families from being able to sue the Saudi government ?

Maybe the world is rotten, money can make anything go away.

SAD! as the man himself would say.
    Yes, both GW Bush and Obama.

No prez will ever say boo to the Saudis. They are off-limits ever since FDR made a deal with them for cheap oil in return for arms and protection.

edit: SA also agreed to only sell oil for dollars, it keeps the US economy propped up. They keep billions in US banks too.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm leaving this thread open but all election talk goes in

this thread

If posters insist on election talk here the thread will be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

corazon wrote: »
    I moved to the USA from Ireland a few months before the election in 2016. it has been nothing but positive career wise and investment wise. I'm no fan of Trump but would Biden be any different? Everytime I go home I'm amazed by how much I hear about Trump in the Irish media. The average American pays less attention to US politics than the average Irish person. I don't think Irish people understand that politics plays a smaller role in you life here.

You must be living in a bunker ! In 30 years in the US I have never seen an election like this, nor this level of interest. We're looking at the highest voter turnout since 1908.

Much of the economic and job growth that has occurred was simply a continuation of the recovery trend from the 2007-08 recession. Looking at 2016 onwards is misleading.

The stock market is completely divorced from economic reality right now. 70% of the Trump tax cuts received by large companies went into stock buy backs. It made sense for the companies as everyone recognized that the tax cuts are unsustainable. The effect of this was to create a bubble in the market - economics 101 says this will not continue.

Biden is not an inspiring candidate - but he should be a much needed safe pair of hands.

Sorry: just seen the mod note. Not resident in Ireland so cannot strictly answer the original question. Impact on my life : my neighbourhood is being threatened by a gas pipeline from fracking in PA, no one can make any personal or decisions as there is no confidence in his handling of convid-19, the Proud Boys are hassling a local business. In Ireland, I would imagine the biggest immediate impact is the encouragement given to a no-deal Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The funny thing is, Trump has rambled on about the way he was going to bring businesses back to the US from countries like Ireland. No doubt, very popular with his support base.
    I remember when he was elected, all the scaremongering. "Every big pharma is going to leave Ireland, Google, Facebook etc will all leave". What happened? Nothing.
    What has Trump actually done in 4 years? Nothing. Give his opponents something be outraged about, give his support base lots of racist tweets, he is a master in a way when you think about it. Do nothing for 4 years, create divisions like never before in a country and basically pull it apart.
    It is laughable when you actually stand back and think about it.
    He couldn't even build a wall after all his talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What has Trump actually done in 4 years? Nothing. Give his opponents something be outraged about, give his support base lots of racist tweets, he is a master in a way when you think about it. Do nothing for 4 years, create divisions like never before in a country and basically pull it apart.

From what I've read (e.g. The Fifth Risk), and of course evidence of the US's bad Coronavirus response post publication of that book) he + his cronies are doing quite serious damage to the US federal government. That doesn't really affect us here in Ireland much. It is very easy to destroy something you hate of course, not so easy to first create and develop new policies and then implement them.

Any one US president has pretty limited effects on us here.
    He has set things in motion that could affect Ireland quite badly longer term if he gets another term and if his ideas are now the Republican foreign policy orthodoxy (potentially being pursued by more competent people than Trump).
    Already mentioned was his administrations hatred of the EU & full backing of the UK in its "Hard Brexit" policy, which could have some unpleasant effects on this island in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The funny thing is, Trump has rambled on about the way he was going to bring businesses back to the US from countries like Ireland. No doubt, very popular with his support base.
    I remember when he was elected, all the scaremongering. "Every big pharma is going to leave Ireland, Google, Facebook etc will all leave". What happened? Nothing.

It was all waffle to appeal to the idiots and the naive. And appeal it did. All the nonsense about him being the "man of the people", a guy born with a silver spoon in his gob that's never lived a single moment in the real world being a "man of the people".

What bollocks.

There was never, at any time, going to be a scenario whereby he was going to live up to his campaign promises. Not one. But it's unfair to be too hard on, say, the people of the "rust belt" who voted for him in good faith on the back of his lies. They took a chance on him to better their lot and he gave tax breaks to billionaire jet owners instead.

As for "divisions", this is what Trump thrives on. The only way he can guarantee any kind of base is to create strife and disunity. To make the most ridiculous and outrageous statements constantly and stir the shit. It's all he has. Because he certainly isn't going to put his energies into carrying out the things he said he'd do for people in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Tony EH wrote: »
    There was never, at any time, going to be a scenario whereby he was going to live up to his campaign promises. Not one.

Really? Never? Not one?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1217985357553315841

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

He's stolen my childhood

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

This place has become quite the echo chamber, too many middle class Irish people reading tabloid style 'hit-pieces in ostensibly liberal broadsheets for four years.

Anyway, that aside [and if it is allowed], I think now is a good time to create a new Donald Trump Appreciation Thread, where free thinkers, or at least more nuanced individuals, can come to escape the media-driven uniformity of opinion apparent in the other threads. So, I will get the ball rolling:

The Donald Trump Appreciation Thread:

Seems appropriate to salute this hero-warrior one last time and bid him farewell as sitting president of the United States of America (unless it is proven that fraud is responsible for Biden's election). Whether you love him or loath him, he shall be remembered as one of the most important US Presidents ever, no other leader in living memory has captured the zeitgeist of their times so profoundly, or symbolised and epitomized it so supernally in World History.

Trump is a flawed personality but also a maestro, a genius in the mould of Picasso or Mozart, a self made man (spirituality if not financially), the GOAT, the Übermensch. Part salesman, part postmodernist, walking embodiment of free speech and taking a shot a something without shame or regret, champion of memes, troll overlord, and non interventionist. Will we ever see his like again?

This is a man who had the courage to withdraw from the phony WHO (responsible for the phony Swine Flu hysteria a decade back), that interceded in Iran in a way that resulted in the smallest loss of life possible when many of the career politicians, neo-cons and democrats around him were baying for blood, that, when everyone else was spreading messages of fear and resignation, told the people not to fear Covid but to continue living their lives with joy and courage.

Here is a man who brought in laws to benefit native Americans [there is a reason his popularity with ethic minorities has soared in this election], and that signed into law a bill to make cruelty to animals a federal felony.

This is a person who in spite of having a rich and colourful and daring life, and with teams of people working overtime trawling through his personal history to defame him, has never been caught out doing anything particularily awful, let alone heinous, like so many of the Epstein/Clinton crowd.

Here are some of his other achievements while in office:

• The poverty rate in America fell to a 17-year low
    • More than 400,000 manufacturing jobs were created since he was elected
    • Trump signed the Save our Seas Act which funds $10 million per year to clean tons of plastic from the ocean.
    • The First Step Act's reforms addressed inequities in sentencing laws that disproportionately harmed Black Americans and reformed mandatory minimums that created unfair outcomes. Over 90% of those benefiting from the retroactive sentencing reductions in the First Step Act are Black Americans. Contrast this with abominable and downright nasty Crime Bill supported by Biden historically.

So forget for a moment the echo chamber that this site has become, and remember this, no other political character, or leader, or party that you can think of in the western world, will ever garner as much admiration and love and respect as Trump has done these last four years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcF0r9ajBno

Thank you for your attention.

repXW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Museum of Trump Achievements

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

He's not a good man and politically I couldn't be further away.

But I saw the other day something that left something good with me. Some anniversary of some nuclear arsenal reduction agreement between USA and Russia and the signing and entering of the next or even final stages of it. Could it be START or something like that? Anyway the news was that it was very amicable and of course we can freeze even more nukes if not all of them eventually and everything was agreed on and signed and no sweat with Russia.

As an 80s kid that was always with me that nuclear threat. Something good for sure if we're all calm on that front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

If "pro Trump" people are banned from the election thread, then anti Trump people should be banned from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭briany

RonaVirus wrote: »
    If "pro Trump" people are banned from the election thread, then anti Trump people should be banned from this thread.

They weren't banned from the election thread for being pro-Trump, and in fact there's still a number of pro-Trump supporters there. They were banned for being obtuse, belligerent, posting personal insults about candidates, making unfounded statements and consistently failing to contribute to discussion in a civil manner.

Anyway I can appreciate Trump's moxy and drive, but I don't agree with how he's directed it over the last 5 years or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Bans will only be handed out to those who break the forum rules

If you want to discuss Donald Trump's achievements go for it, but if the thread descends into pro-Trump and anti-Trump posters screaming at each other then cards and bans will be needed.

Everyone be warned - the purpose of the thread is clear from the op and while any points raised can be respectfully challenged it is not an open invitation to bombard this thread with anti-Trump rhetoric

He didnt start any wars,

Settled up.the conflict in afganistan,they were never going to beat the taliban

America is no longer the world police,and he has inadvertely shone a light on the massive divisions/discontent in US society ....whether they continue to ignore it,and pour resources into endless ruinous wars,is their own issue i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

He’s got a great tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I always liked when he didn't engage disingenuous questions from the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

He's just tremendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He didnt start any wars,

Settled up.the conflict in afganistan,they were never going to beat the taliban

But there still in Afghanistan and elsewhere .

He didn't settle anything , chances are if things keep getting bad in Afghanistan expect a new surge of US forces ,and they will still have to keep the South China sea open ,there is still conflicts to be fought and settle around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭westdublin

Could only serve one term

Got impeached during his one term

Most amount of associates charged

Watched as 250,000 American died of Covid19

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    But there still in Afghanistan and elsewhere .

He didn't settle anything , chances are if things keep getting bad in Afghanistan expect a new surge of US forces ,and they will still have to keep the South China sea open ,there is still conflicts to be fought and settle around the world
    They would be foolish to reengage trying to beat an guerlilla insurgency in a rural mountainous imo....they have nothing to gain there

I do think its a joke,them going around world telling people to do x,y and z,"spreading democracy" while.their own country and elections are in a shambolic state.....should get their own house in order first imo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

westdublin wrote: »

Watched as 250,000 American died of Covid19

Will be a far higher number by 21st Jan 2021 unfortunately.
    If only he fought Covid as hard as he did impeachment, or his election campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,284 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

banie01 wrote: »
    If only he fought Covid as hard as he did impeachment, or his election campaign.
    His superspreader rallies really helped with the coronavirus numbers as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭westdublin

banie01 wrote: »

Also don't forget his much anticipated health care plan.........its about two weeks away

At least he saved America some money by not building his wall

gmisk wrote: »
    His superspreader rallies really helped with the coronavirus numbers as well!

A testament to the greatness of the man, Covid numbers under his watch were the best in the world. He simply is without peer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

He amuses me with his irreverence, boldness, gaucheness, weirdness and iconoclasm. He is a show man, an entertainer, an absurdity. The identity-politics-riddled opposing side are far too pious, sneering and self righteous to be in any way amusing or endearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

Everyone said he'd start WW3 when in fact he decided the pen was mightier than the sword. I hope that continues under Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I really liked his replacement plan for Obamacare.

It was really in-depth, detailed and inventive in covering preexisting conditions, reducing deductibles and premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

McDonald's shares hit record highs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I do think its a joke,them going around world telling people to do x,y and z,"spreading democracy" while.their own country and elections are in a shambolic state.....should get their own house in order first imo

They allowed trump into office , case and point of their shambloic elections ,

Get rid or the electoral college votes ,one person one vote

Advertisement