Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump - the Megathread - read Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,272 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Trump basically begs people to hate him though. I don't see many world leaders as tone-deaf as he is either.
    Bolsonaro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

If you were to write the sci fi novel of the planet, Ireland would merely be the handy outpost re-fueling spot for the Empire's forces on their way to mine the diminishing ores in the hostile sandy places. And maybe a place to locate new media companies that support the Empire due to our docile, compliant, suitably-educated work stock and low taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

He's provided me with so much entertainment and giggles over the last 4 years it's hard to comprehend. Be it when i turn on the TV and watch CNN or tune in to the Pat Kenny show the obvious anti Trump bias whilst desperately attempting to come across as balanced and fair media always gives me reason to smile. Trump himself is a total and complete idiot but by jesus i do enjoy the way he rubs liberals and lefties up the wrong way. Hopefully we see an almighty meltdown next week if he get's back in.

4 more years, yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

rustynutz wrote: »
    Trump provided me with endless entertainment with his daily press conferences during the first lockdown, for that I am thankful.

On the man himself, I think he is not as stupid as he comes across, he cant be to have got where he is, it's the people who support him that cant be too bright. A bankrupt billionaire born with a silver spoon in his mouth as a voice for the ordinary working people? Yeah right, it was a stroke of genius how he managed to sell that one.

Indeed, DRAIN THE SWAMP. Proceeds to employ his whole family. And still plenty of idiots willing to vote him back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Personally, his presidency has shown me that if the media (including social media) personally dont like you, all journalistic integrity will be thrown out of the window. Objectivity is a thing of the past.

Also, I've seen how desperate people are to be liked. If you need some column inches or attention, just spout some "f*ck Trump" nonsense and you'll get the exposure you crave.

Whether those are seen as negatives I dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If his only role in life is to wind up people- he's a expert....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

NIMAN wrote: »
    This is a question I have been thinking about recently, as I listen to the vast amount of anti-Trump media coverage.

People the world over have been going apoplectic about him since he got into office, and our own country is no different.

It appears all the media outlets have no issue showing their bias, be it TodayFM with the likes of Matt Cooper, or RTE with Tubridy et al. Its non-stop anti-Trump.

They tell us how it would be terrible if he was re-elected, and I got to thinking "how has Trump being POTUS affected me personally". And I realised it hasn't, not one iota. OK so he's an a$$h0le and many other things, but my life is totally unaffected by him being the most powerful man in the world. If I was an American or living in the US it would be different, but I don't.

So can any Irish resident give a genuine answer to the question "how has Trump being President affected your life negatively".

Occasionally you have to tell it like it is. The man is a cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

gozunda wrote: »
    If his only role in life is to wind up people- he's a expert....

and to lie compulsively.

francois wrote: »
    Occasionally you have to tell it like it is. The man is a cretin.

Yes, but that in no way has any impact on our lives. Trudeau is a cretin. Still doesnt affect me in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

He's provided me with so much entertainment and giggles over the last 4 years it's hard to comprehend. Be it when i turn on the TV and watch CNN or tune in to the Pat Kenny show the obvious anti Trump bias whilst desperately attempting to come across as balanced and fair media always gives me reason to smile. Trump himself is a total and complete idiot but by jesus i do enjoy the way he rubs liberals and lefties up the wrong way. Hopefully we see an almighty meltdown next week if he get's back in.

4 more years, yes please.

Have to say I laugh out loud at him. He is outrageous and a provocateur. You could nearly not invent him. Although Lionel Shriver did have him as US President in her book The Mandibles which came out before he was elected in 2016. Let's be honest the post-modern identity-politics left have a serious humour deficit. The anima-possessed prissiness would make you cringe. The bold side of online politics is far wittier. Though not the VERY bold side of either wing - they are both just disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Uniquely American thing, even the poor look up to great wealth
    Yea
    Completely different attitude than here.
    Over there people aspire to moving up the economic ladder.

The reward for work and working harder is greater in the US, there is far less of a sense that your hard earned is being taken away to pay for welfare.

I recall listening to a US radio station where the presenters were talking about Connor Mcgregor.

They could not figure out the fact that before UFC he was on welfare.
    How could a 20 something year old fit and able guy not be working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Paris climate accords were drafted when Biden was VP, and then Trump promptly withdrew. So you, just like the idiots who thanked your post, are just as uneducated as Trump.

Ireland won't come close to climate change commitments itself
    , no political will to cut agricultural production etc

Trump just decided that with China roaring ahead, the Paris accord was just a faux political vanity project

• Subscribers Posts: 41,216 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm sure he will. It's not as if he hasn't been in politics for almost 50 years at this stage. I'm sure he will get onto it straight away.

What has his previous political experience got to do with undoing the damage of trumps last four years?

He can only undo it AFTER

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yea

The reward for work and working harder is greater in the US, there is far less of a sense that your hard earned is being taken away to pay for welfare.

I recall listening to a US radio station where the presenters were talking about Connor Mcgregor.

America is too ideologically conservative when it comes to that, we are too the other way

He is an obnoxious individual but his policies both domestic and foreign, have been quite moderate, in that sense, he actually hurts himself by being so unnecessarily crude

His ultra thin skin makes him get involved in scraps about nothing

This is so true. As a person he leaves a lot to be desired. But so did Clinton and we actually built a statue to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Ireland won't come close to climate change commitments itself
    , no political will to cut agricultural production etc

Trump just decided that with China roaring ahead, the Paris accord was just a faux political vanity project

Nothing to do with the fact that he thinks that climate change is a hoax? He has gutted the EPA to which he appointed a lobbyist for the coal industry as administrator.

His inaction on the environment will have repercussions for years to come but Trump will be well gone by then and won’t have to face the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

Yea

The thing is, even if you work hard doesn't mean you will climb the economic ladder. The amount of people over there, that has to work 2 or more jobs just to put a roof over their heads is crazy, and this is during good times.

In this video at around 6:02 sums up my attitude of America in general - https://youtu.be/N9Cgy-ke5-s?t=362

Doesn't matter who is in power (Dems or Rep), they are brainwashed with capitalism and the notion of an American dream. Nothing wrong with that, but they don't have good employment law there, they barely get many holidays (including public holidays), you can be fired in a week etc. Also if you are running a million dollar business and go under, you can protect your private assets from bankruptcy, yet you can't right off your college debt or mortgage via bankruptcy if you fall into bad times. Again, the big guys get all the protection - but nothing for the little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't think he's affected my life at all. Good entertainment though.

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    and to lie compulsively.

like most politicians tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yes, but that in no way has any impact on our lives. Trudeau is a cretin. Still doesnt affect me in any way.

Au contraire mon ami, the US president could have a lot of influence on us, luckily he'll be gone soon

• Advertisement

Ireland won't come close to climate change commitments itself , no political will to cut agricultural production etc

Two things the biggest source of global emissions are from fossil fuel use in transport and energy production and account for well over 70% of all emissions. Agriculture is about 15%.

China continues to build coal fired power stations to beat the band. Go figure

And tbf its a bit odd these days no one is allowed to criticise China. See the recent Pandemic for details.

Trrumps political posturing ain't to stop China doing what they want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Nothing that Trump has done to America is as bad as what the last two governments have done to Ireland. Trump is a failure but is dealing with complex issues that Obama also 100% failed at.

Here the government is literally laughing at us and how placid and accepting of them we are.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Nothing that Trump has done to America is as bad as what the last two governments have done to Ireland.

Please list what bad things the Irish government has done that is as bad as what the Americans/Trump have done ?

The Paris climate accords were drafted when Biden was VP, and then Trump promptly withdrew. So you, just like the idiots who thanked your post, are just as uneducated as Trump.

Now now. No need for hostility. Or no need to hype up Biden's involvement with the Paris climate accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

drogon. wrote: »
    Please list what bad things the Irish government has done that is as bad as what the Americans/Trump have done ?

Let’s compare Michaels twitter rantings to Trump and take it from there. I’m sure we’ll see what he was on about soon enough.

Indeed, DRAIN THE SWAMP. Proceeds to employ his whole family. And still plenty of idiots willing to vote him back in.

In fairness, I don't think anyone supporting Biden is in any position to talk about kids getting jobs they may not be suitable for.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I only got interested back in March due the lockdown and I had time to watch his daily briefings and quickly realised he was a bully delusional and a bare faced liar. I am old enough to know most politicians are not trustworthy but Donald takes the biscuit . For me personally the way he has divided the Evangelical Church in the States is the saddest thing of all . He has used the myth of protecting religious freedom to trick people into believing he is some kind of modern day Messiah. When asked a few years ago what was his favourite verse in the Bible he could nt give an answer.
    When Clinton was being impeached the Evangelicals condemned Bill as being morally unfit for office yet today Trump is getting a free ride and if any Evangelical questions Trumps moral fitness to be POTUNS they are accused of being a supporter of a Marxist party namely the Democrats. I wonder what Church he will attend if he looses or wins next week . Whoever wins next have their hands full yes the Economy will rebound but America is morally and socially bankrupt and that Im afraid has a lot to do with Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cirrus Incus

gozunda wrote: »

China continues to build coal fired power stations to beat the band. Go figure

And tbf its a bit odd these days no one is allowed to criticise China. See the recent Pandemic for details.

Trrumps political posturing ain't to stop China doing what they want...

Xi Jinping has committed China to carbon neutrality by 2060. They already dominate the litihum ion battery market. China are positioning themselves to be the renewable energy superpower. They might not actually achieve that, but it's more than what the US has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

If Donald Trump is affecting your life, you have problems and not just with Donald Trump

• Advertisement

Xi Jinping has committed China to carbon neutrality by 2060. They already dominate the litihum ion battery market. China are positioning themselves to be the renewable energy superpower. They might not actually achieve that, but it's more than what the US has done.

Also just to add, you really need to start spending money on more renewable energy now, as it will take over 20 years to actually see it come to fruition where it is cheaper than non renewable energy. It takes time, you can't just one day wake up and decide to turn off all non renewable energy and switch to renewable energy.

If you don't start now, come 20 years. Countries that have invested in renewable energy will certainly have a big competitive advantage over countries that haven't. So the more you invest now, the more efficient they will be in the future.

Advertisement