Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump - the Megathread - read Mod warning in OP

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Kivaro wrote: »
    Yes, unfortunately we'll be hearing a lot about legacy issues.
    Even when Trump is well gone and the BLM/Antifa group are running havoc around the US, Biden/Harris will still blame Trump.
    It's goin' to be a shoitstorm until some stability is restored with a new Presidency in 2024.

Two QAnon reps elected so far that I'm aware of- he has certainly mainstreamed conspiracy theorising in US politics, hopefully this will be short term but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Hell of a lot more then Obama and Biden did in 8 years, I'll check back with you in 4 see what Bidens has to show for his term.

Bets between now and 2024
    - a war with iran or other arab nation
    - attempted tax increases in the name of ‘saving the planet’
    - Attempted restrictions on firearms and the oil industry.

Luckily as the financial papers are all saying “the markets stabilised as a result of the republican majority in the senate”
    Mitch mcconnell and co will keep the democrats crazy ideas in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,491 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Bets between now and 2024
    - a war with iran or other arab nation
    - attempted tax increases in the name of ‘saving the planet’
    - Attempted restrictions on firearms and the oil industry.

Luckily as the financial papers are all saying “the markets stabilised as a result of the republican majority in the senate”
    Mitch mcconnell and co will keep the democrats crazy ideas in check.

I would be more concerned with the absolutely crazy amount of debt that trump has rang up as part of his presidency, even before COVID hit.

Iran relations will normalise
    Palestinians will probably be brought back into the fold, fostering actual ME peace
    Gun control will be minimal, and only targetted at military grade weaponry
    Oil industry already dying, it's the new/old coal, who doesn't adapt here gets left behind.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mariaalice wrote: »
    I wonder if the fact that he was and is a vulgar orange Buffon was a fact in what happened after all his 'policies' such as they are and vague as they are, are popular with millions of American voters.

Same principles apply here as in the election threads. If you are just using this thread to have a swipe at Trump you will be considered trolling

Best way to avoid that is to stay clear of such threads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Jesus, it’s like a wake in here. What happened :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Outlaw Pete, Outlaw Pete, Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johndeff2017

Q Is it only the house of representatives that can pass bills to allow the senate vote on them ?
    Seems crazy to me that if so many bills that are presented to the Senate can do so much good that Mitch McConnell can turn them down.

Yet by my reckoning Trump could he come up with an idea and get it into the Senate for a vote ?
    Surely regardless of the party the only losers here are the people that the senate represent ? the American people.
    In this case like Biden will to all effect be a lame duck president ... similar to Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I just came up with a new name for the current incumbent Donald Crump lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Hell of a lot more then Obama and Biden did in 8 years, I'll check back with you in 4 see what Bidens has to show for his term.

Lol no. Obama took America out of the 08 recession actually I think it was a depression in America. He saved American jobs. He brought in Obamacare. He caught that bad guy can not think of his name now.
    Obama was a great President. It's like comparing Gold with tin if you want to compare Obama with Trump.

He did not build the wall or make Mexico pay for it.

He might not have started a war but they fire rockets at Syria and dropped a mob on a country.
    He did not stop Obamacare which Obama and his administration brought in bu the way.
    He doubled America dept
    He let over 200 thousand Americans die from Covid because he and his administration had no strategy to deal with it.

What are you babbling about? So incoherent and vindictive, par the course I suppose.

This is exactly why I had created the thread that I did, so that people like you would have to up your game and actually engage with discussion instead of sneering and guffawing from the sidelines.

Not surprisingly we haven't seen much game from you in any thread, just examples of what you accuse others of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Let me see:

* America was losing 800,000 jobs a month when Obama took over. He turned that around and we saw 75 months of consecutive job growth during his presidency.

* Dow Jones had dropped from 14,000 on the way to 6,000 when Obama took office. Once stabilised Dow grew by 148% during his term. Only 3 other presidents had higher return.

* Introduced the Affordable Care Act, one of the biggest undertakings in the US health industry in a century.

* Ended US combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan including bringing 90% of troops home.

* Eliminated the most wanted man in US history.

* Passed Wall Street reform to re-regulate an industry that played massive part in global recession

* Iran nuclear deal which eased decades of tension between the two nations

So please outline what Trump has done on a par never mind better. Trump inherited a bull economy yet massively increased national debt and budget deficit. He gave huge tax cuts to the top 0.01% and corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Let me see:

* America was losing 800,000 jobs a month when Obama took over. He turned that around and we saw 75 months of consecutive job growth during his presidency.

* Dow Jones had dropped from 14,000 on the way to 6,000 when Obama took office. Once stabilised Dow grew by 148% during his term. Only 3 other presidents had higher return.

* Introduced the Affordable Care Act, one of the biggest undertakings in the US health industry in a century.

* Ended US combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan including bringing 90% of troops home.

* Passed Wall Street reform to re-regulate an industry that played massive part in global recession

So please outline what Trump has done on a par never mind better. Trump inherited a bull economy yet massively increased national debt and budget deficit. He gave huge tax cuts to the top 0.01% and corporations.

****, i should have followed this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Not so fast, Jan 2020, pre-COVID:
    The truth behind Obama’s job numbers

In the Obama years, the unemployment rate kept falling after 2010. That’s great. But the untold story was that the number of people moving from the living room couch into jobs was exceeded by the number who dropped out of the workforce, or, as was the case with millions of 20-somethings, never got a job. From January 2009 to December 2016, almost 10 million jobs were added, but amazingly, 1.6 million working-age people dropped out of the workforce.

The percentage of people participating in the labor force fell from 65.7% to a low of 62.7% under Obama. Generally, in a recovery, job seekers rise as jobs re-emerge.

A chart from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics shows the trend in labor force participation and the unemployment rate adjusted for labor force dropouts from 2009 to 2019. The strange thing about the Obama recovery was more jobs and less willing workers. When a person isn’t looking for a job, for whatever reason, they do not get labeled as unemployed. The joke a few years ago was that Obama would shrink the unemployment rate to zero through the magic formula of driving millions out of the workforce. In a world where everyone is living off of welfare or a trust fund, and no one is looking for a job — there are officially no unemployed people.

Under Trump, we are experiencing the best of all worlds. Unemployment is down, and the labor force participation rate is finally starting to grow again, albeit still slower than needed. Some 2.3 million more people have entered the workforce under Trump. Part of the rise in the workforce is undoubtedly due to the steady increase in wages, which attracts workers to come off the sidelines.
    Is the healthy job market today due to a continuation of the Obama recovery? Hardly. My Heritage Foundation colleague John Merline ran the numbers. When Obama left office, the Congressional Budget Office predicted the “trend” in hiring. For example, the CBO forecast the unemployment rate would never get below 4.4% and would start rising again in 2019. The current unemployment rate is now a full percentage point below the CBO’s forecast, with 1.6 million more jobs than the Obama trend line would have predicted.

The CBO also predicted at the end of the Obama years that the labor force participation rate would continue to fall under Trump. Wrong: It rose.
    One last point: When I was studying economics in college in the 1970s, the professors and the textbooks instructed us that an unemployment rate of about 4% was “full employment.” Can’t go any lower than that. How good is the job picture today? We now have an unemployment rate a half a percentage point below full employment. So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how does this job market rate? It’s an 11!

Trying to suggest there were major issues with Trump's economy is absurd:
    Stock Market Results (first four years after election)

S&P 500

Obama: +48%

Trump: +56%

Dow Jones Industrial Average

Obama: +43%

Trump: +52%

Nasdaq

Obama: +76%

Trump: +119%

Those are some strong results under both presidents. But stocks have been stronger since Trump was elected – particularly growth stocks, as reflected in the more than doubling of the Nasdaq.

As with everything in the stock market, however, context matters. President Obama was elected in the midst of the worst economic downturn America has seen since the Great Depression, and the market didn’t bottom until another four months after he was elected (less than two months after he was sworn in). Trump was elected amid almost universal U.S. growth: rising GDP, escalating home prices, and an unemployment rate (4.8%) that was less than half its late-2009 nadir (10%). So it’s far from an apples-to-apples comparison.

On the flip side, Obama didn’t have the worst global pandemic in a century to deal with.

Now, if you broke this down by each president’s first terms, the results change quite a bit; Obama actually beats Trump in all three indexes.

Regardless, the strong stock market performance since Trump’s election proves that the daily noise projecting Trump’s poisonous effect on stocks was not only overstated; it was simply incorrect.

Also, another good article worth read is: Obama Wins The Gold For Worst Economic Recovery Ever.

Article from May, 2020:

Obamacare, really?? You want to go there??
    ObamaCare: 10 years of distress and disappointment

According to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), “premiums have doubled for individual health insurance plans since 2013, the year before many of Obamacare’s regulations and mandates took effect.”

Even more shocking, HHS reports, “Average individual market premiums more than doubled from $2,784 per year in 2013 to $5,712 on Healthcare.gov in 2017—an increase of $2,928 or 105%.” Needless to say, ObamaCare has fallen woefully short in its grand ambition to slice health insurance premiums by $2,500 per year.

Second, ObamaCare supporters claimed it would drastically reduce the uninsured population. Unfortunately, this also has not happened. As of this writing, there are roughly 28 million Americans without health insurance. And the number of those without health insurance has increased in recent years. And now that the individual mandate (a dubious provision forcing Americans to purchase health insurance) has been repealed, this number is expected to rise even more.

Why is this happening? According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), “Simply put, there are too many people without subsidies who cannot afford coverage under Obamacare.”

Third, President Obama repeatedly assured voters, “If you like your health care plan, you’ll be able to keep your health care plan, period.” After ObamaCare was enacted, millions of Americans were unable to keep their pre-ObamaCare health insurance plan.

ObamaCare has been an abysmal failure when it comes to the integral promise of, “If you like your health care plan, you’ll be able to keep your health care plan, period.” Such is why President Obama’s pledge was named the Lie of the Year for 2013 by PolitiFact.

Fourth, President Obama also repeatedly guaranteed voters, “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period.” As it turns out, this promise also fell by the wayside.

Sadly, since ObamaCare’s inception one decade ago, the vast majority of Americans are not better off in terms of their health insurance costs and health care access. ObamaCare has failed miserably because it lacks free-market principles and is a one-size-fits all, centrally planned boondoggle.

Mostly they were troops he put there. For example, in Afghanistan there were 30,000 troops there when he was elected in 2008 but that number peaked at 100,000 just two years later. Also, warfare changed. Bush launched 51 drone strikes, Obama has unleashed 372. Bush launched one strike in Yemen, Obama 112.
    America dropped 26,171 bombs in 2016. What a bloody end to Obama's reign

Most Americans would probably be astounded to realize that the president who has been painted by Washington pundits as a reluctant warrior has actually been a hawk. The Iran nuclear deal, a herculean achievement, and the opening of diplomatic relations with Cuba unfortunately stand alone as President Obama’s successful uses of diplomacy over hostility.

While candidate Obama came to office pledging to end George W Bush’s wars, he leaves office having been at war longer than any president in US history. He is also the only president to serve two complete terms with the nation at war.

President Obama did reduce the number of US soldiers fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq, but he dramatically expanded the air wars and the use of special operations forces around the globe. In 2016, US special operators could be found in 70% of the world’s nations, 138 countries – a staggering jump of 130% since the days of the Bush administration.

Looking back at President Obama’s legacy, the Council on Foreign Relation’s Micah Zenko added up the defense department’s data on airstrikes and made a startling revelation: in 2016 alone, the Obama administration dropped at least 26,171 bombs. This means that every day last year, the US military blasted combatants or civilians overseas with 72 bombs; that’s three bombs every hour, 24 hours a day.

Fine but then why not see the "elimination" of Soleimani and Al Baghdadi in the same way then so? Crikey, there was almost a day of mourning declared for those two killers.

Citing the Iran Deal is almost as a plus is almost as bad, if not worse, than citing Obamacare as such:
    Obama Passed the Buck. Trump Refused to Play.

JCPOA advocates claim Trump left the U.S. and the entire world vulnerable by leaving the Iran deal. The JCPOA, they say, was working. This is not true and hasn’t been true since the very beginning of the deal, at least not on the terms sold to Congress and the U.S. public. From the start, Iran was given secret loopholes that made it appear they were meeting the publicly stated terms of deal. Among other recent violations: The Iranians have exceeded the amount of uranium they’re allowed to enrich; they’ve exceeded the levels of purity of enriched uranium; they’ve violated the types of centrifuges they were allowed to spin; and injected uranium into centrifuges they were not allowed to use for enrichment.

Perhaps most tellingly, Iran’s nuclear archives, which Israel seized from a Tehran warehouse in January 2018 and made public months later, show that the regime never gave up its intentions to build a military nuclear program, despite promises in the JCPOA to never pursue nuclear weapons.

There is, however, a case to be made that the deal was serving its purpose. But that interpretation requires a markedly different understanding of the JCPOA than what the Obama administration sold to Congress and the American public. The point of the deal was not to stop Iran from ever building a bomb but to prevent the Iranians from doing so until Obama left office.

He gave huge tax cuts to the top 0.01% and corporations.

So what? There were many tax cuts and you're implying that the middle or lower classes were given none.
    The truth about Trump's tax cuts by the numbers

Let’s look at taxpayers making between $50,000 and $100,000:

In 2018, there were about 35 million taxpayers in this bracket, an increase of roughly one million over 2017 (a growing middle class). In total, they owed $31 billion less in 2018 than in 2017. In other words, the middle class got nearly half of the $64 billion decline in taxes owed under the TCJA.

As for their share of the tax burden, it also declined. While they accounted for 22 percent of total income (roughly the same as in 2017), their share of income taxes was 13 percent (over a percentage point less than in 2017).

Let’s look at taxpayers making under $25,000. The number of taxpayers in this bracket was 52 million in 2018, a drop of 2.3 million taxpayers from 2017. In total, their tax liability declined 16 percent or $4 billion, from $25 billion in 2017 to $21 billion in 2018.

Their share of the tax burden also declined. Those taxpayers accounted for 4 percent of total income (roughly the same as in 2017) but their share of taxes was one percent (slightly less than in 2017).

So here are the results of the Trump tax cuts:

--The income tax burden for high earners increased $16 billion to 40 percent of the total owed.

--The income tax burden for middle class earners decreased by $31 billion to 13 percent of the total owed.

--The income tax burden for low wage workers decreased by $4 billion to 1 percent of the total owed.

Doesn’t sound much like a tax cut for the wealthy.

So why does Biden keep saying what he says? To quote Ronald Reagan: “It isn’t so much that liberals are ignorant. It’s just that they know so many things that aren’t so.”

In reality, thanks to the TCJA, working and middle-class Americans were earning more and keeping more of what they earned following the Trump tax cuts. That meant bigger paychecks and an easier time meeting household expenses.

Guess we'll see how Biden does when it comes to taxing the rich, as he certainly knows some of the loopholes they exploit.
    So please outline what Trump has done on a par never mind better.

Well, pre-Covid

Promised Made, Promises Kept:
    Building the Wall where shoddy fencing was not doing the job it was intended to do.
    Withdrew from the Iran Deal.
    Moved US Embassy to Jerusalem etc etc.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1217985357553315841

Guess we'll see just how well President Harris, sorry, President Biden, does in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I think donny should become a pro golfer, I think he d be the greatest

• Registered Users Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Also, another good article worth read is: Obama Wins The Gold For Worst Economic Recovery Ever.

Article from May, 2020:

Mostly they were troops he put there. For example, in Afghanistan there were 30,000 troops there when he was elected in 2008 but that number peaked at 100,000 just two years later. Also, warfare changed. Bush launched 51 drone strikes, Obama has unleashed 372. Bush launched one strike in Yemen, Obama 112.

Fine but then why not see the "elimination" of Soleimani and Al Baghdadi in the same way then so? Crikey, there was almost a day of mourning declared for those two killers.

Citing the Iran Deal is almost as a plus is almost as bad, if not worse, than citing Obamacare as such:

So what? There were many tax cuts and you're implying that the middle or lower classes were given none.

Guess we'll see how Biden does when it comes to taxing the rich, as he certainly knows some of the loopholes they exploit.

Well, pre-Covid

Building the Wall where shoddy fencing was not doing the job it was intended to do.

Guess we'll see just how well President Harris, sorry, President Biden, does in comparison.

Your propaganda still isn't working. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

Article from May, 2020:

Well, pre-Covid

But Trump said mean things and he can't be upsetting people like that. I am sure the millions of people who have died in Syria, Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq (likely soon to be Turkey/Yemen) are delighted Trump and his anti-military industrial complex approach is gone. There is huge profits to be made in war and you can be sure it will be used as an attempt to help unite the US.

I hope I am wrong.

http://marshallsociety.com/uncategorized/the-economic-benefits-of-war-outweigh-the-costs-discuss/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Wanderer78 wrote: »

If only Kim Jong-Il were still alive. What a match play pairing that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wheres the wall he was going to get built? He went fairly quiet on it the last while. Especially for something he never shut up about last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Donny is a cheat, he is "club champion" in his own courses because he claims the title but has never actually played for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Wheres the wall he was going to get built? He went fairly quiet on it the last while. Especially for something he never shut up about last time.

Between his inauguration and October 6th this year, a total of 15 miles of new “primary barrier” has been built. There’s also been about 350 miles of existing barrier replaced, or secondary barrier (further inside US territory as an additional obstacle) erected.

There was 654 miles of the border with a barrier at the start, and it’s 669 miles now. Most of this is fencing.

Trump’s election promise was to build a fully concrete wall along the total length of the border, which is 1,954 miles. This has not materialised.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46824649

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He's still waiting for Mexico to hand over the shillings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Tony EH wrote: »
    He's still waiting for Mexico to hand over the shillings.

No no no Tony, he's now getting the shillings by way of NAFTA, while also still running a trade deficit with the new NAFTA..

Advertisement