Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is made for the Japanese market and since it is sold out there I think they might know what they are doing, Japan has a crazy collector culture where people pay big money for novelty items, I can not see how this could ever be aimed at anyone that is actually into playing games as it seems completely unusable but 50 dollars is not that much if you just want something unusual sitting on your shelf and can show friends how absurd the little screen is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Clockwork Aquario, a game made and finished by Westone but mothballed due to the changing arcade market is finally coming out on switch and maybe other platforms.

The creator has been working for years to try and get this game published in some way.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/clockwork-aquario-cancelled-westone-bit-entertainment-arcade-game-from-1992-coming-to-ps4-and-switch-in-2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

4 of those gamegears mounted in a nice black sunken frame with some modifications would look good on my man cave wall. Not sure if they'd look 200 quid good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Can't remember who I asked before on here and talked, but I got a HDMI-to-AV converter off Amazon and it arrived today.

Hooked it up with the Sega Classic and Playstation Classic and it worked perfectly on a CRTV. There was no slow down, sound worked perfect, kind of better from the CRTV, a bit punchier.

It was powered by 5 volt plug. Someone mentioned they could run it without the plug but I found I didn't get a signal until it was powered. Was about 28-30 euro I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Still can't believe it's serious

The huge announcement is apperantly arcade "fog" gaming?
    I'm looking forward to hearing more about it, Sega Bits had a short video up
    https://youtu.be/n9_A4lO-IcE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve X2 wrote: »
    4 of those gamegears mounted in a nice black sunken frame with some modifications would look good on my man cave wall. Not sure if they'd look 200 quid good though.

Framing the 200 quid would be a better use of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As if none of us have spent money on things we don't need or don't use. I've spent too much on vinyls or consoles to be put on display :)

The Game Exchange on Drogheda is closing shop, not sure if they'll just the the remaining stock or keep selling online
    https://www.facebook.com/858361624348896/posts/1468302086688177/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Game Exchange on Drogheda is closing shop, not sure if they'll just the the remaining stock or keep selling online
    https://www.facebook.com/858361624348896/posts/1468302086688177/

Whenever I was in Drogheda I would make a point of calling in.
    Unfortunately I didn't buy that much as there wasn't anything I was really after on the shelves.
    Still, always sad to see a B&M retro shop disappear

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looking at some YouTube of the Sharp X68000 running some pretty amazing games,

So, I thought I'd have a look at the possibilities...

How much?

$1,400 and more!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254582192333

There has to be a more affordable option, no?
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

How much?

$1,400 and more!

Any ideas?

Making a MiSTer might not be a bad idea if you don't mind FPGA emulation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How much?

$1,400 and more!

Any ideas?

Heard meth sells for a decent amount these days.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Heard meth sells for a decent amount these days.

I'm not sure that kind of career change is warranted, not yet anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Japanese PC gaming looks class. Lovely looking machines and those gigantic clamshell game cases with wonderful art.

There's a nice clean boxed one of Buyee selling in 5 minutes for about €500. I expect you need Neo Geo AES collector deep pockets really get into that system though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You'll finally get one after all the mething and whoring and then all the games will die from disc rot. :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    You'll finally get one after all the mething and whoring and then all the games will die from disc rot. :D

Apparently...
    There is a way to add an SD card doohickey...
    Just saying...

Might make the meth whore career pathway worth it #lifegoals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Any ideas?

It's an amazing machine, a souped up Japanese Amiga 1200 if you will. Insanely expensive though, as you've discovered. To tide you over until you save up enough pennies for one, there's a RetroArch core called PX68k which handles its emulation, and handles it amazingly well at that. I find the RetroArch method simpler than the dedicated emulator who's name escapes me at the moment (possibly part of the Neo Kobe pack?)

The emulation itself may seem daunting at first, it's a full on PC you're emulating after all, but once configured, it's choose a game & run to play. As always, while RetroArch is a game changer for emulation, I'd really recommend having a frontend for it like Launchbox....makes the experience much easier and much nicer to use.

Inviere wrote: »
    It's an amazing machine, a souped up Japanese Amiga 1200 if you will. Insanely expensive though, as you've discovered. To tide you over until you save up enough pennies for one, there's a RetroArch core called PX68k which handles its emulation, and handles it amazingly well at that. I find the RetroArch method simpler than the dedicated emulator who's name escapes me at the moment (possibly part of the Neo Kobe pack?)

The emulation itself may seem daunting at first, it's a full on PC you're emulating after all, but once configured, it's choose a game & run to play. As always, while RetroArch is a game changer for emulation, I'd really recommend having a frontend for it like Launchbox....makes the experience much easier and much nicer to use.

I'm aware that you have used a series of words, nouns, adjectives and verbs, to describe something.
    But, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure of much of it...
    I would assume that a RPi isn't going to cut the mustard on this one....

I'm aware that you have used a series of words, nouns, adjectives and verbs, to describe something.
    But, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure of much of it...
    I would assume that a RPi isn't going to cut the mustard on this one....

I'm not actually sure how the Pi would handle this, from a quick glance it seems to run at least some of the games?

I can't attest to how the experience would be though, I find you need a physical keyboard for entering menus to swap discs etc...maybe it can be done with an onscreen keyboard & controller though?

• Advertisement

I seem to remember emulation of the machine was pretty good once you figured out how to get the games working. Was nice and fast. It might be a rare beast but the architecture is very well made and understood.

Some really good stuff on that system although with the ability to add better processors and graphics cards it can get a bit crazy. Some really cool early 3D stuff on it including a very playable game from the team that would eventually make jumping flash on the PS1.

Capcom conversions were pretty much arcade perfect as it was practically a CPS1 system and they used beefed up X68000's to develop on.

Be warned that it's very difficult to find roms for the japanese PC games as the emulation and rom communities are very insular and closed off from the western communities. Think HG101 did an article about 15 years ago about how to find them and it's probably way out of date now.

Joe Bleeps did a unboxing and play of the PC Engine mini if anyone's interested

Whenever I was in Drogheda I would make a point of calling in.
    Unfortunately I didn't buy that much as there wasn't anything I was really after on the shelves.
    Still, always sad to see a B&M retro shop disappear
    I was gonna buy something online but think it sold before I'd the chance, not much I'm after atm either.
    I think I met them at an event and seemed like a sound crowd so kinda sad for them.
    Still no word if they'll continue to sell online only or just til stocks run out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just seen it. Can't wait for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Really loving the Gameboy in quarantine. Tetris and some Gargoyles quest.

What are yere favourite games? Hidden gems?

• Advertisement

Final Fantasy Legend games are excellent little RPGs.

The megaman titles from Megaman 2 onwards are great. Especially V but it's rare outside japan.

Trip World is great but not worth the insane price.

Mole Mania is a great late GB game.

The wario land games are brilliant particularly 2 and 3.

Donkey Kong '94 is one of the best games of all time.

Castlevania 2 on the Gameboy is excellent.

Kirby 1 and 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Dragon Warrior/Quest Monsters is a great Pokemon clone that's a better Pokemon game than, well, most early Pokemon games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    Really loving the Gameboy in quarantine. Tetris and some Gargoyles quest.

What are yere favourite games? Hidden gems?

Same here - I'm making my through Castlevania 2 Belmont's revenge

Mole Mania is also excellent, and so is Donkey Kong - it's starts like the arcade but when you clear a few levels it starts the real game - 100 puzzle levels

Edit: Sorry @Retro ! Just saw your reply and you mention all the games I did

Smyths have the MK and TMNT Arcade1up cabs up for preorder at €399 and €499 respectively.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You would want to be insane to pay those prices.

• Advertisement

You would want to be insane to pay those prices.

That's the rrp on them, and they come with the risers. Still wouldn't get one though, first thing that would need to be done is to replace the awful sticks.

They might drop in price like the last ones after a while. 500 quid though for one is madness. Didn’t think shops here would take a gamble on them again.

That's the rrp on them

People will undoubtedly pay it, but they're not worth remotely that much. These cabs should be €199, they're not worth a cent more.

They might drop in price like the last ones after a while. 500 quid though for one is madness. Didn’t think shops here would take a gamble on them again.

Don't forget the TMNT one is a 4 player cab, hence the extra cost.

Ideally you'd be able to grab a TMNT one sub €300.

They aren’t for me to be honest , they are handy I guess for people just wanting a quick arcade without the hassle of building / restoring one.

Don't forget the TMNT one is a 4 player cab, hence the extra cost.

Ideally you'd be able to grab a TMNT one sub €300.

Two extra ****ty joysticks and 12 extra ****ty buttons hardly warrants that additional premium though?

Inviere wrote: »
    Two extra ****ty joysticks and 12 extra ****ty buttons hardly warrants that additional premium though?

Even though they're crap, if you were to source those same parts they would run not that far away from €100. Best advice would be to wait until its cheap and swap it all out for Sanwa parts.

Even though they're crap, if you were to source those same parts they would run not that far away from €100

Arcade1up will be buying these crappy parts in bulk amounts...even retail prices for 2 cheap sticks & 12 cheap buttons wouldn't run anywhere near €100. The price is this high purely because of the game on it, because the hardware definitely isn't quality or expensive.

Here's the type of junk in those cabs - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Joystick-Game-Part-2-Stick-20-Push-Buttons-Red-Black-Kits-Raspberry-Pi/132730478915?hash=item1ee75a6143:g:7dkAAOSwDmxcRnS8

^^ that's $37 for two sticks, x20 buttons, x4 wiring harnesses and x2 encoders. Arcade1Up are certainly paying less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't think the markup on these cabinets even at €500 is that mad. I mean distribution and marketing costs money. Other people retailing it for them. You can't just look at the cost of the raw materials.

I wouldn't be that arsed getting an arcade cabinet with an LCD personally. Although I get why it wouldn't be viable to make a CRT one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

20% of the retail price here is VAT too

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Again, I'll liken it back to bartops selling for a grand and those monstrosity LED buttoned multicades selling for even more - sometimes items aren't worth the sum of their parts/the effort that goes into them.

the-homer-inline4.jpg

You can't just look at the cost of the raw materials.

Obviously not no, there's lots of other costs involved. At the end of the day though, it comes down to value. Are these cabinets worth €400/€500? Not even close is the answer imo. Even if it somehow cost a big chunk of the manufacturing/licensing to produce these things, the end result still isn't worth it (for rrp).

I've always felt the gut-feeling retail price of them is €199.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I don't want to be overly hyperbolic, but that is perhaps the greatest thing I've ever seen.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I don't want to be overly hyperbolic, but that is perhaps the greatest thing I've ever seen.

You've had multiple Ponys in your living room...
    And yet... this is the greatest thing you've ever seen?

Anyone know off the top of their head if the Japanese PSP X and O select/back config can be swapped back to EU/US setting? I don't think it effects games just the system, would be nice to swap off possible with CFW.

Not seeing any nice examples of boxed 3003 models, found a nice clean one in Japan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Speaking of those 1up cabs, did I have a dream, or is it real, that the Sinden guy is teaming up with them for their next 1up shooter??

Master of the Universe

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Speaking of those 1up cabs, did I have a dream, or is it real, that the Sinden guy is teaming up with them for their next 1up shooter??

Mini Time Crisis? I might just...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone know off the top of their head if the Japanese PSP X and O select/back config can be swapped back to EU/US setting? I don't think it effects games just the system, would be nice to swap off possible with CFW.

Not seeing any nice examples of boxed 3003 models, found a nice clean one in Japan though.

AFAIK no. I have a Korean PSP with CFW that has the x/o swapped and didn’t see any options to change it. That was years ago so I’m not sure if it Has changed recently. It only affects the home menu though so in games it’s the normal x for select

• Advertisement

It should be O for select anyway. Fecking western playstation games changed that and I don't know why.... or how as the button on the SNES corresponding to O was always select.

Advertisement