Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    The DS, what a console!

It must have one of the greatest libraries of all time. From the time it came out till the the time the 3DS was released, I don't think I put it down.

The flash cards were a revelation. I remember long before whatsapp and portable IMing on phones was a thing (and mobile phones were still fairly dumb in general), using a DS homebrew messaging application as a means of talking to a friend who was travelling around Kenya. When they managed to find a hostel with wifi they'd connect their DS and send a few instant messages. Worked surprisingly well.
    I loved the card for travelling, even now I'm paranoid I'll lose carts somewhere if they're out of the box. I lost a couple but eventually found them loose in a bag, I thought they were gone for good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've a vast number of carts now for the DS but it's been some time since I have played any of them!
    I reboxed most of them, as they were sitting in a little drawstring bag for years.
    I say to myself, it's enough that if I ever really need a game of Infinite Space I can!
    The peripherals for the DS are worth looking out for, from the pretty common Guitar Hero attachment to the nifty paddle controller from Taito, a little on the rare side.
    There are a few I never got around to buying... such as the slide controller, turning the console into an optical mouse, and the blood glucose meter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I see RetroRGB will be making dedicated console RGB/output to HDMI adapters - one per console type though

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=rad2x

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I see RetroRGB will be making dedicated console RGB/output to HDMI adapters - one per console type though

Nice but pricey.
    Still, if I want to hook my Megadrive up to my main TV this is probably the best option, I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone see these? Bandai are making 2:5 scale models of the Saturn and PlayStation in their Spirits line.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/27/build-your-own-playstation-or-sega-saturn-model-with-bandai-spirits/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was massively popular and ran for years.
    I play a vr game called Retro Neon Arcade , which is basically a VR Mame arcade , in full late 80s furnishing and it includes amongst other things a TV room with a load of videotapes that you can map to video files (so you can grab a tape and stick it in the vcr to watch on a crt TV)

A while back I edited a version of Batman ( the tim burton one)downgraded it to sd ,and stuck in a load of 80s RTE adbreaks ( and a closedown afterwards) Anyway the one ad I made sure I added was that Harp one)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There is a possibility, remote at the minute.

But a house move is on the cards.

I could get my workshop, games room and greenhouse in one.

All is need is a jacks and a hammock.

Plus lots of shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone see these? Bandai are making 2:5 scale models of the Saturn and PlayStation in their Spirits line.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/27/build-your-own-playstation-or-sega-saturn-model-with-bandai-spirits/

I want these, but I have no need for them, especially considering I have the consoles on display anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have zero interest in them as assembled kits, but as explosion diagram type kits they look amazing!

bandaispiritsplaystation2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The original PlayStation really was gorgeous looking system. Forget the awful controllers and dodgy disc drive. It just reeked cool compared to everything else on the market. The Saturn just looks like a generic box and is so big in comparison.

• Advertisement

And yet... Panzer Dragoon Zwei...

Master of the Universe

Yeah the Saturn is a pain in the ass shape wise. It takes up a huge amount of space but then has that domed top so you can't stack anything on top of it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

KeRbDoG wrote: »

I'm sure it would be possible to change the analogue input cable or make and adaptor to use with other consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

What is wrong with you people...lol, the PS1 looks like a Lada, so flat and boring and the worst colour it could be whereas the saturn is like a sexy lamborghini with nice body lines and a lot of presence.

Master of the Universe

The Sega Saturn looks like someone tried to sculpt a brick into a Megadrive II but got bored and gave up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Ok, I did buy both when they came out but always felt the PS1 was a bit too simple, I did like the blue one I saw at Sony/tristar HQ.

SAT-Sega-Saturn-Universal-System-large-image.jpg

ORIGINAL_FAT_GREY_PS1_PLAYSTATION_1_PSONE_CONSOLE_SCPH-5502_SCPH5502_ACCEPTABLE_YELLOWING_8:9:17_GALLERY-500x500.JPG

Master of the Universe

The PS1 has loads going on though! All those circles, the grille on the sides, I always really liked the line that linked the eject button to the flip lid and the way the power LED sat on the corner of the edge.

The logo was a fantastic bit of design too really contrasting with the grey of the rest of the unit.

The size/shape of the ports even look cool.

The Saturn is just a big black box with a bit of a dome on top in comparison. Nothing about it makes any kind of a statement. The control ports are apologetically small, as are all the lines and trim. The logo itself is even bland and lifeless.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Saturn as a console, but design wise it's one of the most generic looking units out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The original Japanese Saturn in grey or white looks a little more interesting. The case design is rather plain so a unique colour plastic helped to differentiate and make the lines stand out more stop it looking like a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Sega Saturn looks like someone tried to sculpt a brick into a Megadrive II but got bored and gave up. :pac:

EF98yIOXkAIOB3V?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I agree with the PlayStation being a bit more interesting design wise. It's a clean rectangle but still has interesting cues here and there. The nicely placed power LED is a good point. Everything has its place and seems well thought out.

The Saturn isn't a terrible design, I like the lines it has at the front down to the controller ports. It gives the front a beefier style, but it is bulky. If it was a bit smaller it would look sleeker. The Saturn and Dreamcast are a bit more subtle in design than the Master System or Mega Drive 1 but they're both nice looking consoles. Looking at the Saturn between the Mega Drive and Dreamcast though it's an absolute brick. It's definitely nicer in white though.

Are those Bandai things available as the exploded view? I thought that was just to show the kit. If they can sit as an exploded view then I'll definitely try get them for my desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I agree with the PlayStation being a bit more interesting design wise. It's a clean rectangle but still has interesting cues here and there. The nicely placed power LED is a good point. Everything has its place and seems well thought out.

The Saturn isn't a terrible design, I like the lines it has at the front down to the controller ports. It gives the front a beefier style, but it is bulky. If it was a bit smaller it would look sleeker. The Saturn and Dreamcast are a bit more subtle in design than the Master System or Mega Drive 1 but they're both nice looking consoles. Looking at the Saturn between the Mega Drive and Dreamcast though it's an absolute brick. It's definitely nicer in white though.

Are those Bandai things available as the exploded view? I thought that was just to show the kit. If they can sit as an exploded view then I'll definitely try get them for my desk.

Same figure, they can be displayed assembled or exploded.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The original Japanese Saturn in grey or white looks a little more interesting. The case design is rather plain so a unique colour plastic helped to differentiate and make the lines stand out more stop it looking like a box.

My mother was approaching 80 when she bought me one of these in Meath Street for 5 euro.

Some landlord cleared out a house and dropped some poor Chinese lads collection into a charity shop.

It is different alright not sure if it's better.

The Saturn is very big , its box is needlessly big .

For me anyway the PS1 looked better. It was slimmer and was an ok CD separate on my amp.

I liked the colour splash on my old monitor when you played music , a great little idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The blue and grey Saturn is nice looking?

250px-Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Console-Set.jpg

eddhorse wrote: »
    The blue and grey Saturn is nice looking?

250px-Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Console-Set.jpg

No.

The white one is though.

So is the Atari VCS (rebooted version) finally doomed ? Lead architect walks away....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/08/atari_architect_quits/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

So is the Atari VCS (rebooted version) finally doomed ? Lead architect walks away....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/08/atari_architect_quits/
    yup ...right now it looks slightly more viable than the colecovision chameleon ..but not much.

Retro and arcade, but also new...
    Jeff Minter released on the PS4/PSVR Minotaur Arcade Vol. 1!
    Finally!
    I just downloaded it this morning, it's a compilation of two of his previous Minotaur Project titles, Gridrunner ++ and GoatUp, for iOS and Android.
    GoatUp is a lot of fun, with a Nebulus vibe as you climb a rotatable pillar, collecting and shooting on the way.
    The other is the real prize, Gridrunner, which Minter has been tweaking and re-releasing longer than he's been playing Tempest!
    What's also incredible is how well they work in PSVR, which is, frankly, mental...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I got that on Steam and played it a fair bit. The usual Minter thing of it being quite hard to see what's going on but after 10 or so goes you start to get a sense of it with the sound cues and just general familiarity. Strong 1 more go sense (for GoatUp anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

6 player xmen there, nice :) been a while since I saw one of them

Advertisement