Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just in case any of you were wondering where all those useless Megadrive Flashback atgames clones went, after the Megadrive Mini came out, Lidl have them!
    Somehow a bargain at only €69.99!

https://extra.ie/2019/11/06/news/irish-news/lidl-sega-mega-drive-flashback

Sneaky fuppers trying to get money out of people who will confuse the two. Shady, very shady.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Is it ****?

You'd better believe it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's the same cack system on a chip emulation that buggers up... everything.
    And they are selling it to people who don't know any better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

wow, i seen that in the book in Lidl and didnt even notice it wasnt the new Mini. Scandalous! The amount of people that will buy that for Christmas and not even notice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a lousy move alright.
    I hesitate to say this but it's possibly the case that the target purchasers and eventual users won't notice the difference.
    It's like those people in retro groups on FB who get abusive when you gently point out that playing Sonic on your phone in 16:9 isn't really the best way.
    But, then I'm the 'splainer in such groups who feels compelled to point this out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually think it's a very bad thing. Jeremy parish mentioned this in a previous retronauts. It nearly put him off old games.

He had gone to Japan and got a console and game he had always wanted. Set it up on the hotel flat panel and just wasn't enjoying it at all. He was wondering if he was done with old games. Turns out the lag from the panel was making the game just frustrating enough to totally spoil his enjoyment.

**** like these @games pieces of **** can actually colour the perception of people that old games are ****e.

Think the price they are going for is criminal as well considering they are being off loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I actually think it's a very bad thing. Jeremy parish mentioned this in a previous retronauts. It nearly put him off old games.

He had gone to Japan and got a console and game he had always wanted. Set it up on the hotel flat panel and just wasn't enjoying it at all. He was wondering if he was done with old games. Turns out the lag from the panel was making the game just frustrating enough to totally spoil his enjoyment.

**** like these @games pieces of **** can actually colour the perception of people that old games are ****e.

Think the price they are going for is criminal as well considering they are being off loaded.

I played in of those a whole ago and they are absolutely awful.

Well the type of person who is buying a games console in a German budget supermarket is probably going to play the system for 20 minutes and then never turn it on again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »

100%

Original hardware being piped vanilla into a modern display is pure and total cack. If a modern display is the only option (which it is for most), you absolutely must use an external scaler for retro consoles, there's no two ways about it. The experience will negatively and wrongfully colour the end result. Super Mario World is always a great tester of lag.

With any additional lag, the game is almost unplayable. I remember it was the first game I tried with Run-Ahead on RetroArch, and the difference was stark and instant. I could actually play the game again!

Emulation similarly gets a bad rap from those cheap poxy SOC boxes. They're almost always universally cack.

I'd say if your modern display has an effective "Game Mode" then you should be fine, although the lack of scanlines will make it look wrong, no doubt.
    I've run any number of bits and bobs through my recent TV and there is no perceptible issue with lag there, though I still prefer to use the various CRT options in the gamesroom/dungeon/attic!

How does the Switch fair with Snes games, modern TVs and lag?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Game mode won't help either. Modern tvs can't handle the 240p ot other signals from old consoles and the built in scaler will kick in. The results are always awful visually and the scaler adds a ridiculous amount of lag.

The test I use is the medusa heads in the first castlevania. It's a very easy section for me but any lag messes up my timing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Got a few arcade boards from USA for very good price.

Buuuuut.... What are the odds I'm going to be stung by customs for more money? 50/50, 100%?

Might be the first and last time buying from there, depending!

beejee wrote: »
    Got a few arcade boards from USA for very good price.

Buuuuut.... What are the odds I'm going to be stung by customs for more money? 50/50, 100%?

Might be the first and last time buying from there, depending!

Ask the seller to mark them as a gift?

It's hit or miss really. Since they aren't a product and more just electronic boards you might get away with it.

Ah, he sent the stuff before I had a chance to tell him about gifts. So, stuff is insured for like 200 odd dollars. Maybe that makes it a bullseye for customs?

May be doomed! :p

I use addresspal for all us purchases and when they contact me for customs details I tell them the value is $40 ... never had an issue with customs charging me since

I'll remember that :) it's all arrived in Dublin today, so I'll see soon if I get lashed out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

1 up to Sparks43, having met him yesterday at the Insomnia expo and showing me just how terrible I am at Mario Kart.

I use addresspal for all us purchases and when they contact me for customs details I tell them the value is $40 ... never had an issue with customs charging me since

I've been meaning to setup the us purchase one myself. Didn't know customs rang you so I'll have to get a few bits from the usa and lie to them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

1 up to Sparks43, having met him yesterday at the Insomnia expo and showing me just how terrible I am at Mario Kart.

Honestly for just starting back playing on the Day it wasn’t actually too bad. Was great to meet you and I’m sorry I had to run off for a few minutes but I was chasing down some potential players and possible promotion for the Retrozone.

I had expected some players to take to the game over the weekend and nail really good times but the best in the end was a 1:07.50 on MC1 on the challenge.

Some scope and background on that Mario circuit 1 challenge

All the snes setups were in constant use over the two days. And it acted as a focus hub for the Retrozone which tbh I basically ran both days.

I lost count of the amount of players that tried it but definitely up in the hundreds.

So overall best time at Insomnia was 1:07.50

Time I set 2 years back at PlayersXpo was 1:05.78

My current best non boosted is 1:01.83

And my Irish record is 1:00.27

But I’m actually nowhere close to the World record of 57.90

I played a hell of a lot of exhibition matches and had great fun.

And btw......

I lost one match :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Quick question , going to flog off a load of about 60-70 issues of retrogamer mag (all from 101 to 200 ) probably on Adverts, all in perfect nick.
    cant be arsed selling them separately , reckon a euro per copy is fair?(rounded down to the nearest tenner) or am I going to be showered with offers of bags of Tayto

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I'd be interested in those as myself and the young lad read them (someone on this site posted a link to a cheap subscription last month and I signed up). Can you post a link to the advert later?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

yeah ! will do , and apologies this wasn't supposed to be a stealth marketplace ad! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

In Brown Thomas the other day, noticed they had a prebuilt arcade cab for almost 4 grand, the Neo Legend Classic?

Looks well built, lot of money though. Sure you can get one on Adverts for around €1,500 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

DaveyDave wrote: »
    In Brown Thomas the other day, noticed they had a prebuilt arcade cab for almost 4 grand, the Neo Legend Classic?

Looks well built, lot of money though. Sure you can get one on Adverts for around €1,500 ;)

Are those the crowd from Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

eddhorse wrote: »
    Are those the crowd from Paris?

Seems like they are, hand made in France according to their website!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Seems like they are, hand made in France according to their website!

They are the guys that have the arcades in the paris airports.
    Also fixed my astro city power supply.

Going to drop a couple of vids in.

First is the interview I done last week with the Republic of Players

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OAFd58VJIY

And this is a new Irish record on Choco Island 1. It’s also special because it marks exactly a year since I started back playing. It’s also a Myth standard which is the highest rank that can be achieved. 22nd best time ever in the world as well :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohiNbbwgwfQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Picked one up recently myself, its a massive step up from those AT ones you used to get in Argos, they were absolute cack. Shame no 6 button controllers with it though.

Sorry for the delayed reply. You can purchase a six-button controller for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Infernum wrote: »
    Sorry for the delayed reply. You can purchase a six-button controller for it!

Smyths have them for €18 each.

Another Super Mario Kart video. This time a highlight reel of the recent world championship made by Goomba who is the current Double Dash world champion.

It was a really special week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXJ2YP-hNxQ

• Advertisement

Guys,
    Whats the story with this yoke.
    Someone in work wants to buy one for her OH.

https://www.donedeal.ie/games-for-sale/the-big-a-169-snes-mini-arcade-sega-nes-mini/23351655

Ri?

Advertisement