Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

gozunda wrote: »
    No I checked no one has called the child a 'hypocrite' on this thread. Yes there are concerns as to her parents. And yes placing a child who has aspergers in a racing yatch to sail across the Atlantic is certainly questionable.

Plenty of kids go on long or perilous sailing trips. Oh some in this thread are concerned? Aaahh I could have sworn they were annoyed and irritated by this girl's actions but are masking it with a faux concern

:pac:

Don’t be ridiculous TMH, I’ve explained to you and others now numerous times the foundations of my concerns. Fundamentally, this is a child we’re talking about here who is being paraded in front of the worlds media and is now on a yacht crossing the Atlantic in order to appear at the UN. For an adult that would take its toll, but this is a child, and you think my concerns for her welfare are unfounded?

I suppose for some people “the message” really is more important than who carries it.

We get it, you are really, really concerned about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Don’t be ridiculous TMH, I’ve explained to you and others now numerous times the foundations of my concerns. Fundamentally, this is a child we’re talking about here who is being paraded in front of the worlds media and is now on a yacht crossing the Atlantic in order to appear at the UN. For an adult that would take its toll, but this is a child, and you think my concerns for her welfare are unfounded?

I suppose for some people “the message” really is more important than who carries it.

I think Greta's recent and ongoing experiences are largely going to have a positive effect on her.
    I'm not discounting the risk on a yacht but risk exists in most walks of life.

I do also think that her development will be different to most children of her age but I do not think that that equates to mistreatment of her by her parents.

She has spoken at international and national organisations, she has (and is travelling the world) she will most likely have her choice of sponsored University places and she is talking on a subject which she is extremely passionate about.

Children her age are exposed to all sorts of risk.
    Many 1st world children get cars for their 16th and are unleashed on the dangers of the roads.
    Laura Dekker circumnavigated the world, solo, at 16, this isn't remotely comparable.

In that context could you define 'sustainability' for me - it's a term which seems to get bandied about a lot ....

In simple terms it means using the minimum amount of energy and resources which we need and using them in a manner which is conducive to the resources being optimised for as long as possible and where is possible, are replaced through natural means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Plenty of kids go on long or perilous sailing trips. Oh some in this thread are concerned? Aaahh I could have sworn they were annoyed and irritated by this girl's actions but are masking it with a faux concern

:pac:

Do plenty of kids really go on long or perilous sailing trips? I don’t think they do, and that’s what contributes to this trip for a child being so exceptional.

I’m annoyed by the adults actions, in case that wasn’t clear to you already, because it is the adults lack of responsibility is putting the child’s welfare at risk. At what point do you think the child’s welfare will become more important than her message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They're getting into rougher seas now. Wonder how long until they abort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭weisses

In that context could you define 'sustainability' for me - it's a term which seems to get bandied about a lot ....

Yes and for good reason ...... You know that as a farmer ( or at least you should know)

They're getting into rougher seas now. Wonder how long until they abort.

The wishful thinking is oozing out of this post.

I am sure these young adults understand it, and I'm sure they'll be fine. You seem to be remarkably concerned for their welfare in that regard.

This is a girl, who, got so depressed when she learnt about climate change that she started self harming, refused to eat & refused to talk.

• Advertisement

I think Greta's recent and ongoing experiences are largely going to have a positive effect on her.

I do also think that her development will be different to most children of her age but I do not think that that equates to mistreatment of her by her parents.

She has spoken at international and national organisations, she has (and is travelling the world) she will most likely have her choice of sponsored University places and she is talking on a subject which she is extremely passionate about.

Children her age are exposed to all sorts of risk.
    Many 1st world children get cars for their 16th and are unleashed on the dangers of the roads.
    Laura Dekker circumnavigated the world, solo, at 16, this isn't remotely comparable.

That’s a fair answer at least.

Do plenty of kids really go on long or perilous sailing trips? I don’t think they do, and that’s what contributes to this trip for a child being so exceptional.

Yes they do. She is being accompanied by experienced sailors. There is still a risk of course, but that's her and her parents choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes they do. She is being accompanied by experienced sailors. There is still a risk of course, but that's her and her parents choice.
    I doubt it was her parents choice.

She has no one familiar with HER challenges.

I doubt it was her parents choice.

She has no one familiar with HER challenges.

:confused::confused::confused:

What are you trying to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

How many of them have had serious mental health issues and are were travelling in similar conditions?
    How did they get on?

How many of them have had serious mental health issues and are were travelling in similar conditions?
    How did they get on?

You do know people can recover from mental illness don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

How did they get on?

'Sure she's only a chancer in it for the instagram likes' :rolleyes:

Children very clearly do not generally make long and perilous trips, and it’s generally not recommended for their welfare either. At least you do acknowledge that there is a risk, there are numerous risks and I understand that if they pull it off it will be an incredible achievement, it really will, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a right to be critical of her parents and those adults who are enabling her to risk her life for her cause at the same time.

As I keep having to reiterate though - I don’t blame Greta, she’s doing exactly what any child would do if they were let. I blame the adults around her for letting her do whatever she wants to do and not calling a halt to this childish nonsense a lot sooner.

There’s indulging a child to keep them happy, but this is a whole other level, and I have no doubt if it wasn’t also what the adults wanted, they would have called a halt to it a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You seem confused dohnjoe. These points do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I'm sure all kids who go sailing don't necessarily have aspergers and if they do or otherwise - you'd would want to be a fairly lax parent to deliberatly drag them along if you knew the trip to be perilous. Pointing that out does not make it 'faux concern' eitherway.

A racing boat for a minimum of 2 weeks with little or no privacy and few if any facilities would certainly be questionable. And again more hyperbole - holding an alternative opinion to yours does not make others 'annoyed' or 'irritated' (sic). Tbh such personalisation simply diminishes your argument. Would you like to try again?

How did they get on?

I believe it's estimated there are around 1500+ private crossings of the Atlantic each year. She's not actually sailing the boat (many are), she's a passenger, with a professional crew, her highest risk is really discomfort as it's a racing boat, only has two beds and isn't exactly luxurious. In terms of sailing risk, it would be below average for that kind of crossing considering the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

As I keep having to reiterate though - I don’t blame Greta, she’s doing exactly what any child would do if they were let. I blame the adults around her for letting her do whatever she wants to do and not calling a halt to this childish nonsense a lot sooner.

Is the childish nonsense the zero carbon Atlantic voyage?

• Advertisement

You seem confused dohnjoe. These points do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Not confused in the slightest. People generate a false concern to mask the fact that they are just pissed off and want to indulge in moaning about something. It's boards after all.

Of course you can't really write "Im sick of this climate change bull**** and this little attention seeker and her antics", so it has to be dressed up

We know the drill :)

:confused::confused::confused:

What are you trying to say?

She is 16 with Aspergers. Its a challenging time for parents as they decide how much independence to give their child or not.

I doubt they would have wanted this. But she is getting to an age where they feel they can't refuse.

She is still regularly self harming according to her mother and still has issues with eating and OCD. Not to mention emotional issues regarding the sense of being overwhelmed most people with aspergers feel when they are over stimulated.

Also children with Asperger tend to mature later than other children developmentally but not intellectually. Developmentally they continue until their late twenties usually.

An eleven year old with Asperger is intellectually like an eleven yr old but developmentally like a toddler. This delay can be significant; for example, a 21-year-old may seem socially and emotionally more like a 14-year-old.

Add to this her self harm ocd and eating disorder etc.

Is there someone on the boat who understands this and can be with her to support her needs? Maybe there is someone i don't know.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The wishful thinking is oozing out of this post.

Considering that poster spoke about another Titanic happening, it’s flowing out, not oozing.

bubblypop wrote: »
    This is a girl, who, got so depressed when she learnt about climate change that she started self harming, refused to eat & refused to talk.
    Its not fair to put it like that.

She is different. That is just the way she is. She has a right to be in the world.

She is 16 with Aspergers. Its a challenging time for parents as they decide how much independence to give their child or not.

I doubt they would have wanted this. But she is getting to an age where they feel they can't refuse.

She is still regularly self harming according to her mother and still has issues with eating and OCD. Not to mention emotional issues regarding the sense of being overwhelmed most people with aspergers feel when they are over stimulated.

Also children with Asperger tend to mature later than other children developmentally but not intellectually. Developmentally they continue until their late twenties usually.

An eleven year old with Asperger is intellectually like an eleven yr old but developmentally like a toddler. This delay can be significant; for example, a 21-year-old may seem socially and emotionally more like a 14-year-old.

Is there someone on the boat who understands this and can be with her to support her needs? Maybe there is someone i don't know.

Her dad is going with her

That's what we all hope.

Her dad is going with her
    Good. Some reality for a change.

I believe it's estimated there are around 1500+ private crossings of the Atlantic each year. She's not actually sailing the boat (many are), she's a passenger, with a professional crew, her highest risk is really discomfort as it's a racing boat, only has two beds and isn't exactly luxurious. In terms of sailing risk, it would be below average for that kind of crossing considering the crew.

Statistically racing yachts are not any safer (if anything they experience more mishaps). This is certainly not the preferred time of the year to be crossing the Atlantic - it being hurricane season.These boats are truely horrible to spend any extended time or to travel any distance in. The fact is that children with aspergers often require personal space and familiar surroundings to help them cope. Again maybe it is that she will handle handle the conditions - I personally rather not put a child to the test in order to attend a conference. It's not like she couldn't Skype or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I'd be assuming they have it all under control. Has there been word from the boat that something is not under control?

Her father is on the boat.

The rest of your post is a series of baseless tabloid type statements trying to generalise and dramatise her condition with zero knowledge of the circumstance (or the science I'd wager).

• Advertisement

The fact is that children with aspergers often require personal space and familiar surroundings to help them cope.
    They get over stimulated. The result is migraines and meltdown's. I have a cousin who is autistic.

I presume they have music or a laptop for her. We would give my cousin ear phones etc. She would just play the same song over and over again. It gave her the space she needed.

There isn't an issue with someone with aspergers becoming an activist. There is an issue with people not accepting her as she is with all her vulnerabilities laid out.

It would be good for people to acknowledge the amount of support she needs and receives and that many people with Asperger could do as well with that support.

The image of her is not the reality of aspergers.

Not confused in the slightest. People generate a false concern to mask the fact that they are just pissed off and want to indulge in moaning about something. It's boards after all.

Of course you can't really write "Im sick of this climate change bull**** and this little attention seeker and her antics", so it has to be dressed up

We know the drill :)

Is that any different than your assertion that the child is the driving force behind this latest campaign?

Would it be any different than suggesting your false concerns for the environment are noted?

You as an adult can’t really write “people won’t do what I want”.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I'd be assuming they have it all under control. Has there been word from the boat that something is not under control?

You think for second they would tell the whole world?

I am sure in fact i know there have been moments in gretas climate change journey when things have not been in control thats part of everyday life for people with aspergers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Nermal

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Is the childish nonsense the zero carbon Atlantic voyage?

No, it's the idea that we can have a civilisation that doesn't depend on emitting carbon dioxide.

ECCRe1pVAAAgHpQ.jpg

I am a lot more confident though knowing her Dad is with her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

They get overstimulated. The result is migraines and meltdowns. I have a cousin who is autistic.

I presume they have music or a laptop for her. We would give my cousin earphones etc. She would just play the same song over and over again. It gave her the space she needed.

There isn't an issue with someone with Aspergers becoming an activist. There is an issue with people not accepting her as she is with all her vulnerabilities laid out.

It would be good for people to acknowledge the amount of support she needs and receives and that many people with Asperger could do as well with that support.

The image of her is not the reality of Aspergers.

I'm sure you are aware that Aspergers happens on a Spectrum it's possible that she may only have a very mild case where she is barely affected.

I'm sure you are aware that Aspergers happens on a Spectrum it's possible that she may only have a very mild case where she is barely affected.
    Yes. She is not one of those cases.

Read the book her parents wrote.

Also both of their kids have aspergers. Her sister is a much more mild case though.

That's her own doctors evaluation.

That doesn't discredit her opinions though.

It just makes her more vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Greta is receiving ferocious criticism, which means a nerve has been struck. The personal attacks from some quarters highlighting her autism are unwarranted. I don't doubt her sincerity for a minute. Good luck to the young woman.

Autism Aspergers boo hoo.

She is part of the super rich elite she might be on a boat without a crapper by I doubt she or her family are riding public transport or attending overcrowded public hospitals.

Is that any different than your assertion that the child is the driving force behind this latest campaign?

Meh, if her and her father want to sail across the Atlantic, then ok. If you have evidence to the contrary let us know..
    You as an adult can’t really write “people won’t do what I want”.

I hope nothing bad happens to her, but I have no issues with them choosing to go. There are plenty of "higher-risk" forms of travel which countless numbers of people choose to travel on all the time

• Advertisement

She is part of the super rich elite she might be on a boat without a crapper by I doubt she or her family are riding public transport or attending overcrowded public hospitals.
    No she used the NHS extensively.

I like think she literally lived in NHS hospitals and institutions for most of her childhood.

Her father is on the boat.

The rest of your post is a series of baseless tabloid type statements trying to generalise and dramatise her condition with zero knowledge of the circumstance (or the science I'd wager).

Spot on.

In simple terms it means using the minimum amount of energy and resources which we need and using them in a manner which is conducive to the resources being optimised for as long as possible and where is possible, are replaced through natural means.

Yeah unlike the wisecracker above (Not you btw) I know what the standard definition is.

What I asked was what it meant to you in relation to:
    that the impact of climate change is one element of this conversation but a broader more relevant element is the discussion of sustainability.

So you state that sustainability relates to:
    using the minimum amount of energy and resources which we need and using them in a manner which is conducive to the resources being optimised for as long as possible and where is possible, are replaced through natural means.

The issue that with a growing human population - there is a continuous and non sustainable demand on natural resources. If we are to provide housing, energy and food - all will require continued greenhouse gas emissions. We can off set and reduce some of this but by no means all. Unfortunatly this issue is not being discused. Construction for example results in huge emissions of Co2 whether houses are built of wood, concrete, metal etc . To keep global temperature rise below 2c it is estimated we need to reduce carbon emissions to zero. Practically this is not going to happen.

She has literally travelled throughout Europe on public transport.

Spot on.
    Its what her mother wrote in her book and what her doctors said.

I don't think her family are rich.

Her mom is an Opera singer. You socialize with aristocrats in that game. But the audience are ten times richer than you.

• Advertisement

She has literally travelled throughout Europe on public transport.

Bet she has not been on the Luas red line.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Nermal wrote: »
    No, it's the idea that we can have a civilisation that doesn't depend on emitting carbon dioxide.

ECCRe1pVAAAgHpQ.jpg

Ah the do nothing approach. Fascinating.
    Maybe the nermal approach. Certainly the normal approach though.

Not confused in the slightest. People generate a false concern to mask the fact that they are just pissed off and want to indulge in moaning about something. It's boards after all.Of course you can't really write "Im sick of this climate change bull**** and this little attention seeker and her antics", so it has to be dressed upWe know the drill :)

And so you say - but that is simply a fairly rubbish diatribe against opinion you don't agree with.

If you can't put your argument forward without name calling and jibes or discuss the same logically - you're out. That's how it is and no one will take you seriously.

Edit: Just checked - There is not one single occurrence of your quoted hyperbole "I'm sick of this climate bull****" anywhere on boards. Tbh I'm not surprised you are making that up.

The issue that with a growing human population - there is a continuous and non sustainable demand on natural resources. If we are to provide housing, energy and food - all will require continued greenhouse gas emissions. We can off set and reduce some of this but by no means all. Unfortunatly this issue is not being discused. Construction for example results in huge emissions of Co2 whether houses are built of wood, concrete, metal etc . To keep global temperature rise below 2c it is estimated we need to reduce carbon emissions to zero. Practically this is not going to happen.

The concept of the Circular Economy is being discussed more and more now.
    It is championed by someone familiar with sailing the worlds oceans herself, Dame Ellen McArthur.

There is not question but that there is a disparity between the focus on economic growth which drives so much in the Western society and true sustainability.

New Zealand (Under Jacinda Arden) is starting to set an example on this.

Originally Posted by Dohnjoe View Post
    Not confused in the slightest. People generate a false concern to mask the fact that they are just pissed off and want to indulge in moaning about something. It's boards after all.Of course you can't really write "Im sick of this climate change bull**** and this little attention seeker and her antics", so it has to be dressed upWe know the drill

If there is one thing you have to know about me its that if i have an unpopular opinion I will just say it and not care what anyone thinks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement