Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Five minutes of just wavy hair and some driving mechanics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They just keep showing the demo area in this game, I'm pretty certain that the game is much further back in development than they let on. I actually kind of hope it gets delayed until 2017 because at this stage I could see it being a rush job.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They just keep showing the demo area in this game, I'm pretty certain that the game is much further back in development than they let on. I actually kind of hope it gets delayed until 2017 because at this stage I could see it being a rush job.

I do not mind the wait if we get a better finished product, you had nearly 5 years between between X and XII, I think people were spoiled when they got 4 main FF games between 1997 and 2001

Got around to playing the Disgaea 5 demo tonight and I found it very enjoyable.

They have changed up the controls which makes the flow of the game more streamlined, you can change weapons mid battle, measures have been implemented to reduce the grind we are used to with leveling, I am not sure about the MVP system, it makes your MC seem quite OP, gonna take a while to figure out the class tiers as well, Niikawa seems to have mixed them up compared to previous releases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've heard that most of the Disgaea team left Nippon Ichi after a massive argument and are now at Idea Factory, hope it doesn't affect the game too much.

Started SMT Nocturne again last night and hope I actually beat it this time! It's such an amazing RPG, the atmosphere they created is like no other RPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got Lost Dimension which I really want to play but in the time it took to come from playasia I got addicted to Bloodborne and started kotor. Oh well, it will have to wait.

How does KOTOR stand up to the rigours of time? Thought it was excellent first time around. (Bar the pod racing)

Graphics are terrible, lots of copy and paste sections and it was a very ugly game to begin with but they nailed the Star Wars atmosphere. The infinity engine combat is dreadful as always. It's sort of typical Bioware wehen it comes to characters, some are excellent, some like Carth are beyond boring. At least the story is a bit different from the usual ancient evil Bioware story they always use. The dialogue choices as well seem a bit too black and white to me but then I've been playing too many obsidian games high do it better and it does fit the whole dark and light side of the Star Wars universe.its a good game but so far it's not really the best western RPG of all time that some people say. It's still early days though.

Played a good bit of Nocturne this weekend. Killed Matador on my second try. Knowing the combat system to SMT games makes a huge amount of difference. I'm off exploring ikebukuro and killed the three part boss fight there. Stat buffs are so good in this game especially the agility based ones which is how I wrecked Matador. I destroyed Thor as well with a combo of defence debuts and using focus with a demon to power up physical abilities. The damage output was +500, most characters are doing 60 :)

Had some nasty party wipes as well, worst one was when I got lucky with some demon negotiations and had a huge amount of ikebukuro explored. Infused some nice high level demons and then outside the healing area I decided to get a random battle since there was one about to come up and then got a MC wipe :/ The game definitely keeps you on your toes.

Been taking my time with it building demon teams, you kind of have to. A lot if the dungeons I've had to take dives into before retreating, it reminds me a bit of Etrian Odyssey or the old first person SMT games, it really keeps the spirit of them despite being third person now.

Picked up Jeanne d'Arc on the US store for $2.99, one of the very few Level-5 games I have yet to play, I did not know that Kentaro Motomura was also one of the producers on Bloodborne.

Some trailers from the TGS.

• Advertisement

Aegis Rim looks gorgeous and I've a sneaky feeling World of FF will be excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

What's going on with Persona 5. We getting it this year (by we, I mean at least a US release)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What's going on with Persona 5. We getting it this year (by we, I mean at least a US release)

There's a Persona 5 event at Tokyo Game Show later this week, so if there's going to be any information, that's the likely source.

Still officially 2015 for Japan and US, it'll be a pleasant surprise if that's still the case at this stage.

Atlus being at TGS is a big change for them since they typically are a no show. Must be the new Sega overlords deciding that. I think Atlus were a bit afraid of competing with FF15 but since that doesn't look like it's coming any time soon there's a good chance they will delay it. Saying that though the promotion machine in Japan has started kicking into gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Aegis Rim looks really interesting, I want to see more of it, that didnt show any gameplay but the style and atmosphere are there

Ni-oh looks really great for something that's been in development hell for a decade, somewhere between Onimusha and Demons Souls

Aegis Rim also seems to have Hitoshi Sakimoto doing a more electronic soundtrack. Last time I heard that was the excellent Gradius V soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Finished Atelier Ayesha. Was just faffing around with it until the last stretch. Finally got my act together and made some proper healing and attacking items (so confusing as to what the items actually do!).

Last boss was a cinch, the (possibly optional) boss before that - flying dragon type thing - was a test and was what made shift up a gear.

Overall not something I'd recommend but having said that I'll pick up the sequel when it goes cheap!

TGS Trailer, honestly it looks amazing and it is a shame that it will be a summer 2016 release now, it also looks like we may be getting a PS4 HD collection of P3&4.

Star Ocean 5 demo gameplay, looks good so far and the use of seamless battles is quite welcoming.

Star Ocean: Second Evolution is going to be remastered for the Vita and then ported on to the PS4.

Gust just confirmed that Yoru no nai Kuni will be coming west next year on the PS4, the Vita and PS3 versions will not be localised.

The future is looking very bright for the PS4/Vita and JRPGs and we are getting more and more localisations announcements each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

They said they're going to go back and talk to their japanese bosses again and see if they can at least release Yorukuni on Vita as well

Really disappointed in the Persona 5 delay, especially considering how they assured us it was a 2015 release and acted like anyone questioning it was crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm okay with P5 delay, if I can get P4 Golden on PS4. Never got a chance to play Persona 4 til the end, and don't fancy buying a Vita just for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I need some 3DS JRPGs, what's good?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

The Etrian Odyssey games are excellent and very addictive. You could also try Persona Q which combines Persona with Etrian Odysset, it's excellent but I prefer the pure EO experience.

There's also Shin Megami Tensei 4. It's only on the eshop but it's one of the best RPGs on the system. I'd also recommend the Devil Survivor remakes and Soul Hackers if you like SMT.

You also can't go much wrong with the excellent Fire Emblem on the system.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

You can add Radiant Historia and Rune Factory 4 to the above list, also Bravely Default if you can get past the mid game slump, plus if you never played it on the DS get The World Ends With You, one of my all time favorite handheld JRPGs.

Disgaea 5 has been pushed back till October 23rd.

Some more details about Star Ocean 5, Famitsu interview with Shuichi Kobayashi.
    Famitsu (F): A release date has been announced, so is it safe to assume that development is proceeding as planned?

Kobayashi (K): It’s difficult to gauge, but if we’re talking about development progress, then we’re at around 70% right now. Basic systems are already in place, and we’re currently tweaking battles and dynamic cutscenes*. We’re having a particularly difficult time because the game is essentially all in real-time, is seamless, and, on top of all that, allows for totally free movement. When the camera angle is fixed, we can get away with a few things here and there (laugh). This time we can’t do that.

F: Will it be possible to change characters in the middle of a dynamic cutscene?

K: Since the player is the protagonist, and Fidel is, in a sense, the player’s avatar or alter ego, no, it won’t be possible. In exchange, we’re planning some special actions during cutscenes and on the field. The way things are seen depends on the players. Some will go, “I want to record that!” and others, “If it were me I’d do this.” I hope players will try out different things. Now I don’t recommend showing spoilers, so I’d like for players to have some consideration in this regard.

F: In this issue, we’ve published character introductions**, so could you tell us a little bit about who they are?

K: First, Fidel is a rather traditional character. He fights with a single-handed sword, so as a result, he attacks quickly and chains together combos quite easily. We’ve tuned him so that he’ll manage somehow even when he’s fighting solo against the enemy. First-time players will find him easy to use. By the way, I should also mention that Fidel is an instructor at the “Camus School of Swordsmanship” that’s run by his father. There are certain abilities at this school that, for one reason or other, people who’ve played previous Star Ocean entries will be familiar with.

F: I’d like to ask about a newly introduced character, Fiore. Is there a story behind her attire? (laugh)

K: In order to use incantations in this world, sorcerers must have an incantation mark carved somewhere on their bodies. To show off the strength of her own incantations, Fiore prefers to wear the kind of outfit that you’ve taken notice to. In Randock, the country that Fiore lives in, there are outfits used specially by sorcerers, and you can customize these in any which way you want. I can ensure you they are far from being indecent (laugh).

F: Are you satisfied with the battle style?

K: The image we’re after is using magic as a form of offense. Miki uses fire-based sorcery. In contrast, Fiore’s specialty lies in ice-based incantations. Fiore can also use support incantations, but unlike Miki, Fiore plays a central role in using magic as offense.

F: Our protagonist comes from an uncivilized planet. This is quite rare for the series, isn’t it?

K: That’s true. Besides Rena from Star Ocean 1 and 2, all other protagonists have come from civilized societies. This time, we’ve decided to go with an uncivilized planet. At the very beginning, we wanted the story to start from a place far removed from civilization, and gradually it became “Star Ocean”-like and sci-fi-ish. A grandiose tale involving the universe is basically what Star Ocean has been about (laugh).

F: There are 5 months left until release, and I know you’re headed into the final stage, but do you have any plans to incorporate the feedback given by players at TGS [Tokyo Game Show]?

K: The final product is almost in place, so any big changes would be difficult to implement. We’ve finished revising the action parts and have gone on to fine-tuning the events. But even if I say, “Don’t mess with that,” I doubt getting a feel for the game actually counts as really “fixing” anything. The ones developing the game are Tri-Ace, after all (laugh).

F: I see (laugh).

K: By the way, because the TGS version isn’t the quality that you’ll be seeing when you play the game for long periods of time, the demo ends before you familiarize yourself with the controls, and we’ve prioritized comfort and ease. The full game will definitely be firmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

F: I’d like to ask about a newly introduced character, Fiore. Is there a story behind her attire? (laugh)

K: In order to use incantations in this world, sorcerers must have an incantation mark carved somewhere on their bodies. To show off the strength of her own incantations, Fiore prefers to wear the kind of outfit that you’ve taken notice to. In Randock, the country that Fiore lives in, there are outfits used specially by sorcerers, and you can customize these in any which way you want. I can ensure you they are far from being indecent (laugh).
    Shítstorm incoming :pac:

Well at least she doesn't breath through her skin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

So, Xenoblade Chronicles. What would be the best way to play this? Reason for asking is Smyths are selling the 3DS version for 30 Euro at the moment. Is this a poor version of the game?

The other options are to spend upwards of 70-80 Euro on an eBay copy or else spend 20 on the WiiU eshop version but that means no physical copy.

Thoughts?

Advertisement