Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You getting it from vgp?

Went with the Game Collection this time, had a discount code and ended up being around E40.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I guess I better pick up DQ in the hopes it means we get DQ7 remake.
    Ramza wrote: »
    Tales of Zestiria apparently is 30fps on both PC and console, strange. I'm pretty sure Vesperia was 60 and maybe even Abyss? I could be completely wrong.

While I have no intention of sparking off a 30FPS vs 60FPS flame war, I wonder what their motive was to not make it 60. Given current gen hardware etc I can't see why not. Battles and the like would have felt and looked great and more fluid with 60. Maybe it's at 30 for a technical reason?

It's just silly japanese developers tying game mechanics to the framerate. Going to sixty would mean lots of stuff gets broken and they can't be arsed to fix it. They really need to learn to make engines that don't rely on framerate to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Anyone having issues with getting Zestiria working w/ PSN right now? I pre-ordered ages ago and stuck the 60 in my wallet just ten minutes ago but it's still locked in my home menu. When I try to purchase it, I get an error message. Anyway to force PSN to take the money? Even the game's page on the store has no 'add to cart" option so I assume it just hasn't become available yet :o:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »

No, it just means we're going to get another shedload of mindless Dynasty Warriors spin-offs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's just silly japanese developers tying game mechanics to the framerate. Going to sixty would mean lots of stuff gets broken and they can't be arsed to fix it. They really need to learn to make engines that don't rely on framerate to work.

Indeed, same thing happened with Dark Souls 2. From Software tied the weapon durabiltiy to the framerate so in the 60fps PC version the weapons deteriorated much quicker. This wasn't fixed for a year i.e. until it became a major problem with the XB1 and PS4 versions also being 60fps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

No, it just means we're going to get another shedload of mindless Dynasty Warriors spin-offs :pac:

correct, take it from a Gundam fan, no amount of buying Dynasty Warriors Gundam ever factored into our pleas for Extreme Vs :(

Sieghardt wrote: »
    correct, take it from a Gundam fan, no amount of buying Dynasty Warriors Gundam ever factored into our pleas for Extreme Vs :(

Extreme VS Force will have English localization when its released in Asia in December.

Zestiria feels good so far, I never played Graces so this kind of battle system is new to me, I like it. I don't know if Graces had the martial artes hierarchy system (kinda like fire emblem with a 3 way hierarchy triangle) thing, but it's a good system, game flows nicely. I can likely see some balance issues arising because you could likely just spam a certain type of attack that counters bosses/big enemies and then keep them trapped forever?

Camera can be super annoying at times though while exploring dungeons etc. Story and characters are of course tropey as hell so far and the game starts off slow and cliche, but its getting going now and having fun. I liked how they handled the difficulty, where raising it will increase drops and gald, but lower exp, so it's a nice tradeoff. Another critique is that the in game tutorial system is very poor. Given that there is a lot of new additions to this game gameplay wise, the game doesn't do a very good job explaining them. Leaving things to trial and error is likely the best way to explore and figure out the system but it still confused me at first. Some gripes here and there but overall enjoying it a lot.

Also they answered my prayers with dual audio, what a godsend. I'm somewhat of a purist :o and a huge fan of the tales series and much prefer the JP voices, so I was over the moon to see they included both. Anyone else playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I see GS are up to their usual pricing shenanigans with ToZ. Who in their right mind would pay €80 for a disc copy of a game, especially when the digital is €60 and can be gotten from online retailers for as little as €48 for an EU copy.

I see GS are up to their usual pricing shenanigans with ToZ. Who in their right mind would pay €80 for a disc copy of a game, especially when the digital is €60 and can be gotten from online retailers for as little as €48 for an EU copy.

Yeah it's a joke. I was actually considering paying the extra 20 for the disc + box because I love owning physical copies of RPGs but I wasn't willing to support such nonsense pricing, so feck that. Same goes for most games tbh, I rarely if ever buy games in bricks and mortar these days.

Also what's with Namco Bandai locking out the share option on PS4 with Zestiria? Surely there's a rational reason for this? It's likely to do with the Evangelion DLC and rights etc but I could be wrong. I was looking forward to streaming and making montages with the DVR because I don't own a seperate capture device, so that's a huge bummer :(

• Advertisement

I managed to get the collector's edition for E73 online, Gamestop/HMV are a joke, have not bought a game from them in nearly 5 years.

It looks like Platinum Games are doing the majority of the Nier sequel, with the exception of Taro Yoko directing and Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre and various FF games) doing character designs.

Also Monolith Soft seem to have got their NX dev kits, they are looking for a lot of new staff for a new Tetsuya Takahashi game.

Yakuza 5 will get a mid november release
    Get your $34 pre-orders in while you can

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/yakuza-5-slated-mid-november-release

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Xenji wrote: »
    I managed to get the collector's edition for E73 online, Gamestop/HMV are a joke, have not bought a game from them in nearly 5 years.

Where did you get it for €73?? :eek: anywhere I look it's €149.99, absolutely crazy price, I think I got tales of Xillia 2 with the ludger kresnik figure for under a hundred and that was pushing it.

Where did you get it for €73?? :eek: anywhere I look it's €149.99, absolutely crazy price, I think I got tales of Xillia 2 with the ludger kresnik figure for under a hundred and that was pushing it.

It was on Amazon.de, the seller's store must of been closing, he had a few things going cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Watched a first 15 minutes video and Got a serious case of deja vu from the new tales game before i realised there was an anime last Christmas.

Sega trademarked Valkyria of the Blue Revolution in japan

please be a real game and not some mobile bull****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Awesome news yesterday. The Trails in the Sky sequel finally has a release date and it's very close! October 29th!

NieR Sequel Officially named, "NieR Automata".
    As Famitsu leaks come in, the next NieR game is reportedly title as “NieR Automata”. Nier Automata takes place on the devasted planet earth, and a battle between Androids created by humans, against the “Machine organisms” sent by the enemies of mankind.

In the upcoming Famitsu magazine, it apparently shows the characters and setting by Akihiko Yoshida. A character who appears to be the protagonist is called “Yorha #2 Type B” and holds both a sword and great sword. Long ranged attacks are made possible by a system called “pods”.

More information is due to come during Paris Games Week this week.

Shu mentioned today in an interview that Sony's first party developers will not be making any JRPGs for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Shu mentioned today in an interview that Sony's first party developers will not be making any JRPGs for the foreseeable future.

Awesome! No chance of Legend of Dragoon 2 now!

In fairness Sony RPGs have historically been awful so no big loss. It's not like they don't have third parties like Atlus, Gust and Square filling that void. Sonys first parties have traditionally focused on making more experimental titles or titles to fill gaps in the library and it's here where they are at their best and make their best titles. It gives their consoles a large variety of different kinds of games and let's face it, it's something the PS4 badly needs.

One of the worst thing in Tales of Xillia was the dull samey fields and caverns
    One of the best things in Tales of Zestiria is its fields and caverns.

Good job working on your mistakes, Tales team

Sieghardt wrote: »
    One of the worst thing in Tales of Xillia was the dull samey fields and caverns
    One of the best things in Tales of Zestiria is its fields and caverns.

Good job working on your mistakes, Tales team

Good to know, its sitting looking at me, but have to finish Dragon Quest Heroes first.

Tales has just gotten way too safe in recent years. Hard to believe that the series started as having one of the most interesting and innovative battle systems of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I finished Chrono Trigger a few days ago (on Back to the Future day coincidentally), and loved it. What do I do with my life now?

I'm very new to JRPGs and found CT to be intuitive and noob friendly regarding its battle system, equipment, item list etc.

Can anyone recommend another JRPG to follow on from this? The systems I have available are the PS3, PS4, 3DS & WiiU.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'd first recommend Radiant Historia, and then:

Dragon Quest V: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride
    Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie
    Earthbound
    Fantasy Life
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
    Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Inazuma Eleven
    The Last Story
    Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
    Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
    Opoona
    Pokemon SoulSilver/Black/Black 2
    Rune Factory 4
    Shin Megami Tensei IV
    Solatorobo: Red The Hunter
    The World Ends With You
    Xenoblade Chronicles

Persona 3 and 4 are great to start with as well but prepare for a bit of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Persona 3 and 4 are great to start with as well but prepare for a bit of a challenge.

Thanks, I've heard great things. A challenge wouldn't be the worst thing now. I was expecting a battle at the end of Chrono Trigger so I did a bit of grinding which was definitely not needed!

NieR trailer, it looks really good so far and Platinum are aiming for 60 FPS, 2016 release date also.

What is Nier: Automata?

The original Nier is a very unique action RPG that struck a chord with many passionate gamers when it came out five years ago. The story revolves around the main protagonist Nier as he searches for a cure for his daughter who is infected with the Black Scrawl virus, a seemingly incurable disease.

What is the story in Nier: Automata?

Earth has suddenly been invaded by beings from another planet and mechanical life forms with overwhelming power were used as weapons of war which forced mankind to flee to the moon. In order to take back the earth, a resistance force of android warriors has been created by humanity to fight these invaders.

The world that you see in Nier: Automata is one where androids and mechanized weapons clash in ferocious combat in a barren and deserted wasteland. It’s set after the original game but the story is written in a way which means you don’t have to have played the first one.

Who is the female character in the gameplay trailer?

She’s not actually female, or maybe it’s more accurate to say she’s not actually human. Her name or serial number is 2B and she’s an android. In the world of Nier, there are strict rules meaning this kind of android is not allowed to have emotions. However, each different model has its own quirks and characteristics and 2B has a comparatively cold and level headed personality.

• Advertisement

We should hopefully see this coming to the west at some point, 60 FPS as well.

Advertisement