Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

We wonder why people are so desperate to buy, imagining dealing with ghouls like this...

You had to flush the toilet to get the shower to turn on. And the taps were all leaking. She [the landlady] would say, ‘That’s how it is. If you don’t like it, leave’.

We told her the windows were broken and she would say, ‘That’s not a landlord problem’. She broke down our electricity bill and was telling us how much it was costing to run our laptops.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/ireland-s-generation-rent-after-12-years-renting-i-d-like-my-own-front-door-1.4532209

• Registered Users Posts: 28,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its important to remember, theres 'ghouls' on both sides of this fence, its a right mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

We wonder why people are so desperate to buy, imagining dealing with ghouls like this...

Back of a fag packet Landlord / Tenancy registry

- Landlord ID - pseudonymous
    1 ID for each landlord. Can check their previous rented properties, and lease rates, disputes. Letting without a licence - full revenue rubber glove treatment.

- Tenant ID - pseudonymous
    1 for each tenant. A registered landlord in the system can check similar feedback / ratings for tenants. Can't get a lease without proving you're a decent tenant.

- Third party deposit escrow and adjudication.

Bang a "tax" on all rents to finance it. Fúck it, add it to the bleedin blockchain while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You'd get tired of the constant whinging from young ones about not being able to get a mortgage.

Fintan O'Toole has an article saying he got a mortgage 40 years ago aged 24 and it's not possible as a youngster today.

Firstly, he coupled up and his partner was a secondary school teacher, an exceptional job 40 years ago. The vast majority of 24 year olds today are single and don't have any aspirations of settling down right away. Settling down, buying a house and having kids aged 24 is not very common nowadays.

Secondly, Dublin in 1981 is not the same as Dublin in 2021. Why are journalists trying to make young people of today yearn for the "good old days" of the 1980's. How many young ones were getting good money working for Facebook in 1981?

Back in 1981 when you bought a house, you would expect to die at 72. Now, you can expect to die at 82.

I'm one of the youngsters facing into the housing market as it is today but I'm not feeling sorry for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pussyhands wrote: »
    You'd get tired of the constant whinging from young ones about not being able to get a mortgage.

Fintan O'Toole has an article saying he got a mortgage 40 years ago aged 24 and it's not possible as a youngster today.

Firstly, he coupled up and his partner was a secondary school teacher, an exceptional job 40 years ago. The vast majority of 24 year olds today are single and don't have any aspirations of settling down right away. Settling down, buying a house and having kids aged 24 is not very common nowadays.

Secondly, Dublin in 1981 is not the same as Dublin in 2021. Why are journalists trying to make young people of today yearn for the "good old days" of the 1980's. How many young ones were getting good money working for Facebook in 1981?

Back in 1981 when you bought a house, you would expect to die at 72. Now, you can expect to die at 82.

I'm one of the youngsters facing into the housing market as it is today but I'm not feeling sorry for myself.

once again, generational differences, particularly economically, cannot be compared, as there are radical differences under each set of conditions, many younger generations simply cannot repeat older generations methods of achieving these goals as we re currently experiencing economic conditions such as high asset price inflation v's low wage inflation, increasing in precariousness of employment etc etc. we are also a far more open economy compared to previous generations, so we re far more vulnerable to global markets and the movement of capital etc, so different, different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

those tenants are just too soft , any tenant with a bit of backbone and understanding of the law can make a landlord dance to their tune , thats how biased the laws are in tenants favour

that landlord deserves to be hauled to the RTB and fined

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Much much better than any government bond!

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council signed 25-year lease on 87 Dundrum apartments for use as social housing without seeking opinion other than developer’s on rent levels

https://www.businesspost.ie/houses/no-independent-valuation-for-eur2k-social-housing-rents-608c0fa6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

It's the beginning of the end, €52 million spent with an assurance from the seller that the price was reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    It's the beginning of the end, €52 million spent with an assurance from the seller that the price was reasonable.

And the guys/funds/REITs clamouring over themselves to develop "affordable" schemes will define what "affordable" is down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Don't forget councils and approved housing bodies, with (for all intents and purposes) unlimited funds are hoovering up houses and apartments like there is no tomorrow, out-bidding you and most other private buyers and further depleting private housing stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭amacca

Isn't it amazing primetime aren't doing a couple of specials on something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

Browney7 wrote:
    And the guys/funds/REITs clamouring over themselves to develop "affordable" schemes will define what "affordable" is down the line

It's like we've given the delinquent child the family credit card on the trip to Las vegas

amacca wrote:
    Isn't it amazing primetime aren't doing a couple of specials on something like this

Rte are beacon of where the state is headed. They've sold the family jewels and are struggling to meet there everyday expenses despite every household in the country subsidising them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

amacca wrote: »

People of Ireland
    Be not so bold
    For thy media
    Is bought and sold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Villa05 wrote: »
    Rte are beacon of where the state is headed. They've sold the family jewels and are struggling to meet there everyday expenses despite every household in the country subsidising them.

I worry about this too. As the state's spending continues to grow, I feat they will sell off more and more state assets to keep the upside-down triangle balanced on its head.

From welfare payments and social services to pay and pensions for legions of civil servants, I fear greatly that the family jewels, as you say, will be sold off to keep this unsustainable, bloated beast alive for another few years.

Of course, this is hardly a uniquely Irish problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

RichardAnd wrote:
    I worry about this too. As the state's spending continues to grow, I feat they will sell off more and more state assets to keep the upside-down triangle balanced on its head.

What makes it more intolerable is this is being done from a position of great strength and opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Elessar wrote: »
    Don't forget councils and approved housing bodies, with (for all intents and purposes) unlimited funds are hoovering up houses and apartments like there is no tomorrow, out-bidding you and most other private buyers and further depleting private housing stock.

The council have bought every house that was for sale in my are in the last 6 -8 months. Including my own. Nobody else has a chance.
    I closed on my house when i bought it and before i had even moved into it the ea was approached with a bid massively over what i had just paid for it.
    It was an offer i couldnt refuse, so i said yes. I have since found out the council were the ones who bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

JimmyVik wrote: »
    The council have bought every house that was for sale in my are in the last 6 -8 months. Including my own. Nobody else has a chance.
    I closed on my house when i bought it and before i had even moved into it the ea was approached with a bid massively over what i had just paid for it.
    It was an offer i couldnt refuse, so i said yes. I have since found out the council were the ones who bought it.

Is this in Dublin, if you don't mind me asking? Haven't heard of this happening in Galway, where I am. Wondering if it's happening everywhere or in some places only.

Is this in Dublin, if you don't mind me asking? Haven't heard of this happening in Galway, where I am. Wondering if it's happening everywhere or in some places only.

Yes, Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cyrus wrote: »

Its like an entire house based around 'afternoon tea'

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

It's a full size doll house.

AdamD wrote: »

I bet thats celebrity solicitor Gerald Keanes house :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,447 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's properly tacky. It's a bit grubby too IMO, needs a good spruce up.

The penthouse apartment is definitely some swingers sex palace type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Balluba

AdamD wrote: »

At least the colour scheme is not the usual deadpan grey shade

Graham wrote: »
    lovers of..........

mirrors on the bedroom ceiling :P

Balluba wrote: »
    At least the colour scheme is not the usual deadpan grey shade

in this scenario thats not a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭yagan

That house in Malahide looks like it was designed by a thirteen year old who's still big into Disney princess movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

JimmyVik wrote: »

its ridiculous, if they gave private owners the chance to buy at affordable rates, it would free up lots of rental properties and there would not be such a crisis...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement