Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Slattsy wrote: »
    The heat is off The Dubs.

Quiet enough all the same..

Damn all happens in the 'Stony grey soil of Monaghan', sure. The most recent 'glamour' they had was when Kevin Nolan moved up there, and was runner up a Monaghan club intermediate with Cremartin last year. ;)

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/from-dublin-hero-of-2011-to-the-playing-fields-of-monaghan-kevin-nolans-gaelic-football-life-less-ordinary-40246742.html

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The Gaa will have to be seen to be in charge of any suspensions etc so no real surprise can't really have county boards doing it make headquarters look weak .

GAA HQ nearly always looks weak even on the most tame of issues - championship restructuring, appeals, ad hoc rule changes.

If they manage to look mediocre (PR wise) on this issue that would be an improvement. Too many cooks in the kitchen and too much democracy is the problem.

The DCB always seems far more PR savvy and clued in than the HQ. That is my perception anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Some feel they have to be seen to be annoyed.

Or worse still "offended"

JayReale wrote: »
    Yeah, it's exactly the same situation as the Dublin funding debate, exactly the same :rolleyes::confused:

No amount of money would help Mayo, sure we know that. It's prayers they need! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

kilns wrote: »
    I presume Mayo people will no longer be complaining about Dublin funding for coaching when you see today that Westport GAA club have received EUR1m from private sources and probably spending even more to put in pitch, 4 dressing rooms and a 250 seater stand. Yes its private donations and they can do what they want but the next time a Mayo poster moans about Dublin funding, let them justify this..

What has that got to do with the price of turnips?

This is the Dublin thread anyway. Unless you've got a coddle recipe, gerrouvit!

• Advertisement

Feck sake, I am starting to know how some feel now though.

It has been well over one year since I was in Croke Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I see Cooper and Spillane (both on rte today) and nearly every kerry man has now said yer image is damaged. Jaysus they be taking your 6 in a row off ye next. They really don't like that ye got the 5 in a row. Still in shock down there I see.

I see Cooper and Spillane (both on rte today) and nearly every kerry man has now said yer image is damaged. Jaysus they be taking your 6 in a row off ye next. They really don't like that ye got the 5 in a row. Still in shock down there I see.

Ah I love that type of thing.

When Paidi was alive, he used to be talking up the Dubs (prior to the 2011) in his newspaper column. Then trying to convince everyone he was not being the 'cute hoor'.

I remember back in 2011 the vibe was 'ah sure you wouldn't begrudge them' from fans etc.

Even though Jack O'Connor blamed the ref:

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/kerrys-jack-oconnor-has-some-questions-about-last-years-all-ireland-final-referee-34857

I think the Kerry mindset on the Dubs changed after the 2013 AI semi final.
    Then the defeat in the 2015 AI final really hurt them. Because it showed no matter what the weather conditions Dublin had the beating of them.

If I remember correctly Jack O'Connor (again) who was minor manager at the time - he gave Dublin a grudging backhanded compliment when he claimed that the bad weather suits Dublin footballers and does not suit Kerry.

Implying that Kerry have the more skilful footballers etc.

And that Dublin were basically lucky.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fortune-favoured-dublin-jack-oconnor-claims-x0l097dctqk

But the best one was Micko in 2018 who said that this Dublin team could not be considered the greatest of all time (ie better than his Kerry team of the 70s/80s) until they hammered a team in an All Ireland final!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mick-odwyer-wont-call-dublin-a-really-great-team-until-they-pull-off-one-all-ireland-final-achievement-36699532.html

I think it is great that Dublin have got under Kerry's skin for a prolonged period at long last. Good enough for them!

I saw that headline on RTÉ. Absolutely ridiculous. Didn't even bother clicking in.

And they say that there's no Kerry media mafia?

Are the GAA due to make a decision on something? Because they usually only spake up when they can interfere with the narrative.

It's been a fortnight and they waited until now to open their gobs.

Ah I love that type of thing.

When Paidi was alive, he used to be talking up the Dubs (prior to the 2011) in his newspaper column. Then trying to convince everyone he was not being the 'cute hoor'.

I remember back in 2011 the vibe was 'ah sure you wouldn't begrudge them' from fans etc.

Even though Jack O'Connor blamed the ref:

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/kerrys-jack-oconnor-has-some-questions-about-last-years-all-ireland-final-referee-34857

I think the Kerry mindset on the Dubs changed after the 2013 AI semi final.
    Then the defeat in the 2015 AI final really hurt them. Because it showed no matter what the weather conditions Dublin had the beating of them.

If I remember correctly Jack O'Connor (again) who was minor manager at the time - he gave Dublin a grudging backhanded compliment when he claimed that the bad weather suits Dublin footballers and does not suit Kerry.

Implying that Kerry have the more skilful footballers etc.

And that Dublin were basically lucky.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fortune-favoured-dublin-jack-oconnor-claims-x0l097dctqk

But the best one was Micko in 2018 who said that this Dublin team could not be considered the greatest of all time (ie better than his Kerry team of the 70s/80s) until they hammered a team in an All Ireland final!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mick-odwyer-wont-call-dublin-a-really-great-team-until-they-pull-off-one-all-ireland-final-achievement-36699532.html

I think it is great that Dublin have got under Kerry's skin for a prolonged period at long last. Good enough for them!

The 2015 final always stands out for me as a hammering that never was. If we didn't have to contend with those conditions we'd have absolutely murdered them. As it was it was the most one-sided 3-point win we've seen in a long time.

• Advertisement

Also, just even thinking about that game has got me wistful. F**kin' hell I need football back.

The 2015 final always stands out for me as a hammering that never was. If we didn't have to contend with those conditions we'd have absolutely murdered them. As it was it was the most one-sided 3-point win we've seen in a long time.

From memory I think you must be right. Because I can't remember being edgy or worried during it. Dare I say it would probably be classed as a 'professional' performance in other sporting codes.

Also, just even thinking about that game has got me wistful. F**kin' hell I need football back.

The 2013 SF is the one I like to watch, great game two teams at similar level going 100 mile an hour.

I was thinking when the football is back. I won't be moaning about the cold wind or a mouldy pint, or any of that craic.

From memory I think you must be right. Because I can't remember being edgy or worried during it. Dare I say it would probably be classed as a 'professional' performance in other sporting codes.

Yup. I was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Kerry weren't at the races that day. As Dublin found in 2012 and 2014 it's hard to go back to back.

Not to suggest of course that their best would have been good enough to beat Dublin in 2015, because that would be a hard sell.

The 2013 SF is the one I like to watch, great game two teams at similar level going 100 mile an hour.

I was thinking when the football is back. I won't be moaning about the cold wind or a mouldy pint, or any of that craic.

The 2013 SF was a cracker. Kinda.

It was another hammering.

People talk about the pulling away at the end, but they didn't score for over 10min from when Tomás or Marc got their last score on 61.

I've been banging that hammering drum for 7 years and I'm not gonna stop now.

corny wrote: »
    Kerry weren't at the races that day. As Dublin found in 2012 and 2014 it's hard to go back to back.

Not to suggest of course that their best would have been good enough to beat Dublin in 2015, because that would be a hard sell.

Wasn't it the subsequent league final that sold out? That was the small time moment for Kerry. That's when you knew that we had gotten in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Wasn't it the subsequent league final that sold out? That was the small time moment for Kerry. That's when you knew that we had gotten in their heads.

No we hammered them in the 2016 final. They won in 2017. Took them an extra game to cop on!

corny wrote: »
    No we hammered them in the 2016 final. They won in 2017. Took them an extra game to cop on!

But it was the 2016 final that sold out?

I was getting at it that they travelled for the league.

Yeah, the celebrations in 2017 were another level of small time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Remember fenton hitting the post in the second half. If that had gone in you imagine they would have won by far more.

Although later in the game donaghy won a throw up and fed donnacha walsh who would have had a great goal chance himself which would have either levelled the scores or put just a point in it but lost his footing just as he caught the ball.

Also remember gooch being outscored by his marker.

Hon the Philly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭ooter

Watched the 2016 league final in a pub in london, I think I was the only dub in the place, absolutely beautiful seeing the dubs pull away in the home straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Spillanes rants about all things Dublin are becoming embarrassing now. I’d say the six in a row has really hurt him.

He doesn’t even realise how much of a joke he sounds only focusing on one team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Sure the poor fellow must have us on the brain never in his wildest dreams did he think we would have this era and just can't bear it .

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Spillanes rants about all things Dublin are becoming embarrassing now. I’d say the six in a row has really hurt him.
    He doesn’t even realise how much of a joke he sounds only focusing on one team.

In fairness to the former player set in the media there are a fair few that are great pundits and fair minded. Tomas O'Sé, Darragh O'Cinneide and the Gooch.

I have a feeling that Spillane is playing the 'media game' as there is feck all else to talk about GAA wise. Sure isn't he eulogising about 'The Dubs' a fair bit normally?

It is a terrible state of affairs that we have to resort discussing an auld Kerry fella looking to fill column inches. Because there is no GAA going on.

He well knows it as well, keeps him relevant.

In fairness to the former player set in the media there are a fair few that are great pundits and fair minded. Tomas O'Sé, Darragh O'Cinneide and the Gooch.

I have a feeling that Spillane is playing the 'media game' as there is feck all else to talk about GAA wise. Sure isn't he eulogising about 'The Dubs' a fair bit normally?

It is a terrible state of affairs that we have to resort discussing an auld Kerry fella looking to fill column inches. Because there is no GAA going on.

It’s still embarrassing shyte from him.

Colm Cooper is brutal

Colm Cooper is brutal

He is a bit understated I suppose. But because he is the Gooch his comments hold a gravitas others don't have.

He is a bit understated I suppose. But because he is the Gooch his comments hold a gravitas others don't have.

Understated?

He's incoherent.

• Advertisement

The legend that is Conal Keaney has announced his retirement from IC. What a servant to Dublin in both codes. 20yrs is some innings. Enjoy the retirement.

Advertisement