Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think it is in the GAA mindset to push rules to the limit and see how much they can get away with. Appeal after appeal and the like making a farce of any rule in the first place. Getting off on some 'technicality'. The CCCC and all that craic.

Unfortunately, in this situation it literally goes well beyond the GAA world, hopefully the players and Dessie now realise this, and show more cop on.

Yeah, that really is the mindset at inter county. And this is what it led to, illegal behaviour, risking the health of those close to the players.
    This is after maybe 30 years of under the table payments to managers, in some cases paying players to come home from abroad/not go abroad, breaking rules about winter training/club months.
    The culture really does need to change. GAA need to start showing some teeth and imposing some consequences for breaking rules.
    Am a bit surprised with Dessie Farrell, he was a major figure in the GPA but this is obviously putting players and their families at unnecessary risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Actually what have the GPA said about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Actually what have the GPA said about this?

That is a very good question actually.
    Heard nothing.

Considering Dessie was a founder member of the GPA and former president, plus Paul Flynn is now GPA Chief Executive - I think they are in an awkward position.

The GPA actually agreed covid19 guidelines with the GAA back in October.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1023/1173530-gaa-and-gpa-agree-new-covid-19-measures/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Here is a question, we’re there any Dublin coaches / trainers / medical or support staff there ?

Or was this simply players, getting together for a session ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

That is a very good question actually.
    Heard nothing.

Considering Dessie was a founder member of the GPA and former president, plus Paul Flynn is now GPA Chief Executive - I think they are in an awkward position.

The GPA actually agreed covid19 guidelines with the GAA back in October.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1023/1173530-gaa-and-gpa-agree-new-covid-19-measures/

Did Paul not step down in February to pursue another venture?

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Here is a question, we’re there any Dublin coaches / trainers / medical or support staff there?

Yes, article stated that a coach was there and he can be seen in the photos too.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Did Paul not step down in February to pursue another venture?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/former-dublin-star-paul-flynn-to-step-down-as-gpa-ceo-40027683.html

You're spot on.

The fact I did not know that shows how much heed I pay to the GPA. I think they are all show and no substance to be honest. That is my impression of them.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/former-dublin-star-paul-flynn-to-step-down-as-gpa-ceo-40027683.html

You're spot on.

The fact I did not know that shows how much heed I pay to the GPA. I think they are all show and no substance to be honest. That is my impression of them.

I just remember it being a surprise cos he was doing decent work for the club player as well as county and he was instrumental in the merger with the women which should be a good thing in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Strumms wrote: »
    Here is a question, we’re there any Dublin coaches / trainers / medical or support staff there ?

Or was this simply players, getting together for a session ?

Twas only me with a few cones, some jaffa cakes, and an ipad. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Unfortunately this could rumble on a bit with a lot unanswered questions about who knew or who didn't. There be quite a few folks out there who will be more than happy to keep looking for answers even if full statements are provided. The more I think about it the more frustrated I am about the folly of it all .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Trampas

Amazing how the Taoiseach doesn’t get the same if not worse punishment for breaking rules.

Nothing on rte, newstalk or independent about it

Independent is still running articles on the Dublin incident

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Trampas wrote: »
    Amazing how the Taoiseach doesn’t get the same if not worse punishment for breaking rules.

It's taking the heat off the government having someone else to point the finger at.

You’re forgetting how the media works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fianna Fáil Taoiseach.

If it was Leo it would have been all over the place.

Fianna Fáil Taoiseach.

If it was Leo it would have been all over the place.

A good few parties and politicians could have been said to have broken covid19 rules (to various degrees) we all know them.

If any Dublin players were sitting TD's or involved in politics I would expect the punishment to be harsh. Rightly so.

However there are none, so it is mainly a GAA issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A good few parties and politicians could have been said to have broken covid19 rules (to various degrees) we all know them.

If any Dublin players were sitting TD's or involved in politics I would expect the punishment to be harsh. Rightly so.

However none are so it is mainly a GAA issue.

Correct me if I am wrong was Cormac Costello one of the players or was I imagining it?

There's only one Taoiseach...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

Unfortunately this could rumble on a bit with a lot unanswered questions about who knew or who didn't. There be quite a few folks out there who will be more than happy to keep looking for answers even if full statements are provided. The more I think about it the more frustrated I am about the folly of it all .

It won't rumble on at all. In fact its nearly forgotten about already, seeing as most people have a pain in their swiss with covid and anything covid related

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A complete non story . Oisin mcconville said he can’t believe the over reaction to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Rosita

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    A complete non story . Oisin mcconville said he can’t believe the over reaction to it

I hear people talking about an "over-reaction" and I'm not sure what they mean. Perhaps there's a reaction on Twitter and other social media which I don't look at, but pointing to an over-reaction there is, if I'm to believe what I hear, like seeing a fish swimming as a bit over the top. But I have no idea what he means when he says an over-reaction. I understand what the word means but not sure where he sees it, or what he thinks would be an appropriate reaction. Maybe he's among those who thing it's just a few harmless innocents kicking a ball which is a silly starting measure. "Over-reaction" only has a meaning if there's a generally agreed view as to what an appropriate reaction would be.

But what I can comment on is the "non-story" but. Sorry, it is a story. People might not like that. But they don't get to choose. The most high profile team in the GAA found breaching restrictions IS a story. How often does a county board suspends its own manager for 12 weeks? Non story my hat.

There have been many reactions to this which seem to mitigate but saying it's a non-story is the weakest of all reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Rosita wrote: »
    I hear people talking about an "over-reaction" and I'm not sure what they mean. Perhaps there's a reaction on Twitter and other social media which I don't look at, but pointing to an over-reaction there is, if I'm to believe what I hear, like seeing a fish swimming as a bit over the top. But I have no idea what he means when he says an over-reaction. I understand what the word means but not sure where he sees it, or what he thinks would be an appropriate reaction. Maybe he's among those who thing it's just a few harmless innocents kicking a ball which is a silly starting measure. "Over-reaction" only has a meaning if there's a generally agreed view as to what an appropriate reaction would be.

But what I can comment on is the "non-story" but. Sorry, it is a story. People might not like that. But they don't get to choose. The most high profile team in the GAA found breaching restrictions IS a story. How often does a county board suspends its own manager for 12 weeks? Non sotrt my hat.

There have been many reaction to this which seem to mitigate but saying it's a non-story is the weakest of all reactions.

They only banned him because 12 is the maximum and the GAA would likely ban him for 12 weeks so by starting it that day its over quicker rather than missing championship matches.
    If you think he was hauled in to head office and warned about his future conduct by Dublin Gaa you’d be mistaken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Rosita

They only banned him because 12 is the maximum and the GAA would likely ban him for 12 weeks so by starting it that day its over quicker rather than missing championship matches.
    If you think he was hauled in to head office and warned about his future conduct by Dublin Gaa you’d be mistaken

I never said or thought he was hauled in by Dublin GAA. I know better than anyone how self-serving GAA disciplinary procedures are. And the contempt with which GAA members regard discipline. And I absolutely get that PR was first and foremost in their mind given the speed and extent of the suspension. Like any decent GAA suspension traditionally obviously he'll be back at midnight the night before any meaningful match. All of that is a given.

Now..........back to my original point. The idea that it was a non-story went out the window when Dublin GAA reacted. They know that "a few lads kicking a ball" might hold water on a forum such as this but that it's absolute BS in the current broader environment. It's a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Would not mean much what that man says or mumbles like he does.

Rosita wrote: »

But what I can comment on is the "non-story" but. Sorry, it is a story. People might not like that. But they don't get to choose. The most high profile team in the GAA found breaching restrictions IS a story. How often does a county board suspends its own manager for 12 weeks? Non story my hat.

There have been many reactions to this which seem to mitigate but saying it's a non-story is the weakest of all reactions.

I believe yeah it is a story. But all there is an over reaction as well mainly because it is the Dublin football team.
    Which the DCB cleverly decided to take the lead on.
    If it was any other football team bar Kerry would it have garnered as much attention? I doubt it.

I cannot remember as much furore over Cork and Down. It is combination of the high profile Dublin team. A team which will sell papers and get clicks no matter what the story on them.

In a way Dublin and the DCB should see it as compliment that there is so much interest in 'Brand Dublin'. Look at this thread for instance plenty of posters on here who would not be here only for the covid19 story. Yeah is a serious issue, but many are finding entertainment and schadenfreude in it.

Dublin the greatest team of all time, and also the team many love to hate. It is a win-win media wise.

Well I for one can believe the over reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Slattsy wrote: »
    Well I for one can believe the over reaction to it.

Same here

The heat is off The Dubs.

Quiet enough all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭MFPM

Slattsy wrote: »
    The heat is off The Dubs.

Quiet enough all the same..

Ridiculous hysteria all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Monkey arris

MFPM wrote: »
    Ridiculous hysteria all round.

Some feel they have to be seen to be annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Gets interesting now, the gaa have ruled the suspensions by Dublin and Monaghan county boards null and void
    What happens next will be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The Gaa will have to be seen to be in charge of any suspensions etc so no real surprise can't really have county boards doing it make headquarters look weak .

Advertisement