Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

Jack Keogh from Lucan Sarsfields has moved down to Wexford to play for Castletown. Was seemingly on the Dublin under-20 panel last year, and has linked up with the Wexford senior panel already.

Anyone know of him? I assume he must be handy enough? Asking for a friend :D

Don't see his name on Leinster transfer list. Haven't heard the name before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Nope.

Local paper has it as Lucan Sarsfields.

EDIT: Apparently his training with the county is fabrication

Not only bad footballers, piss poor journalists to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Interview with Paul Flynn by Marie Crowe

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0503/1213477-we-become-heroes-paul-flynn/

Saw himself has a 'made' player by hard work, not naturally gifted.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Be interesting to see how the hurlers get on today, getting a hiding off Kilkenny would put a pall over the rest of the league

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

CatInABox wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how the hurlers get on today, getting a hiding off Kilkenny would put a pall over the rest of the league

Yeah i'd say that's why Kenny picked a decent side.

Going ok so far. Kilkenny are winning most of the battles though and should win.

Keogh and Burke, even Dillon, are physically not able to withstand the challenges when the ball goes in to them. The backs are doing well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Two points down at half time is ok, but will we be able to stick the pace? Part of our problem has been fitness the last few years, unable to keep up with a second half push.

Galway are looking fierce. Only Westmeath and all, but still, the ability to put lesser teams to the sword is an important part of being a big team, you need a level of ruthlessness to put your boot on their throat and not let up, and that's something that we haven't had for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is better than expected.

Great period of play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,902 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Better performance today than I was expecting. Well on top until that stupid water break halfway through the second half. They really need to get rid of that asap.

Red card ended the game 10 minutes from the end. Was a second yellow all day long and stupid by Rushe.

Not a bad hit out but we'll need to work the ball better into the forward line. That bad habit of aimless balls lobbed in to them kept showing up when under pressure.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Better performance today than I was expecting. Well on top until that stupid water break halfway through the second half. They really need to get rid of that asap.

Red card ended the game 10 minutes from the end. Was a second yellow all day long and stupid by Rushe.

Not a bad hit out but we'll need to work the ball better into the forward line. That bad habit of aimless balls lobbed in to them kept showing up when under pressure.

I am honestly getting a bit sick of KK at this stage! How many times has it happened - nearly - just a good loss.
    Dublin look like they have it. The KK pull away and just 'do enough'.
    A 'it is a good run out' type of thing from their point of view.

Forwards issues definitely seem to be the problem this Dublin team just does not score enough. And the top teams know it. I don't think you can 'make' forwards though, they either have it or they don't.

I wouldn't say no to a few 'blow in' scoring forwards who would hurl for Dublin. :o

We can at least blame the water break this time.

• Advertisement

We can at least blame the water break this time.

I am still annoyed didn't even see the match - only highlights from Dub GAA, match reaction, and paper match reports.

If I was in Parnell at that match, I would be going around with an annoyed head on me for a week.

I think it might have been one of Gilroy's early Dub Hurling games. He had KK beaten Parnell lovely day. Packed, roasting hot. And of course KK pulled away in the last few minutes with a late goal

The reason why I remember it is because at the final whistle I said loudly 'ah for **** sake I should have known better, typical'

Dubs around laughing at me and a few guilty looking KK supporters who knew they got away with it.

And now they have done it again fecking wasps the lot of them. Always a late sting in the tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,902 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I am honestly getting a bit sick of KK at this stage! How many times has it happened - nearly - just a good loss.
    Dublin look like they have it. The KK pull away and just 'do enough'.
    A 'it is a good run out' type of thing from their point of view.

Forwards issues definitely seem to be the problem this Dublin team just does not score enough. And the top teams know it. I don't think you can 'make' forwards though, they either have it or they don't.

I wouldn't say no to a few 'blow in' scoring forwards who would hurl for Dublin. :o

All in all I thought we kept good pace with them for a first game after so long out. The defense did well and even the goal wasn't like the usual soft one's we've typically given away. KK had to work for that win and the third quarter was the best I've seen us play under Kenny.

You're right though about the forwards, we just don't have enough to change a game going into the final stretch. I'd love to see a bit more quality going into the forward line and to stop the habit we seem to have of starting to drop a little bit deeper at times which leaves them very isolated.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I see Tipp have got former Dub footballer Phillip Ryan on board

Tipp link helped I suppose

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40286042.html

But I was thinking why don't the DCB agranege 'swap deals' with any potential interested players that wish to move from hurling in those counties to hurling for Dublin?
    Former Dublin panel footballers in the other direction for those those counties etc.

Decent players but could not make the hurling/football panel respectively due to the strength of the respective panel.

Shouldn't the thing be more streamlined and organised? Or would that not be a very 'GAA' thing to do?

I see Tipp have got former Dub footballer Phillip Ryan on board

Tipp link helped I suppose

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40286042.html

But I was thinking why don't the DCB agranege 'swap deals' with any potential interested players that wish to move from hurling in those counties to hurling for Dublin?
    Former Dublin panel footballers in the other direction for those those counties etc.

Decent players but could not make the hurling/football panel respectively due to the strength of the respective panel.

Shouldn't the thing be more streamlined and organised? Or would that not be a very 'GAA' thing to do?

Many see facilitating this kind of transfer as a big step towards professionalisation of the sport, which is why it's kept so awkward.

Many see facilitating this kind of transfer as a big step towards professionalisation of the sport, which is why it's kept so awkward.

Yeah I figured - seems unfortunate. I thought plenty of fellas would love to play intercounty football/hurling that would be more than good enough to play for another county besides their county of birth.
    I realise there is a granny rule for Dubs with grandparents from Leitrim etc.

But I would have no problem with 4/5 'blow in's' playing intercounty for Dublin hurling. A cap of around 4/5 would be about right I think. Would keep the ethos of the county.

I suppose it sorta has been done before Ryan O'Dwyer, Maurice O'Brien, Niall Corcoran etc

I think if done right it would increase the quality of hurling and football. Lads training and playing with better players. Raising standards.
    In theory anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

No doubt if we got a few blow ins and were a success we would be accused of all sorts of inducements in order to get success and we couldn't do it with our own .

No doubt if we got a few blow ins and were a success we would be accused of all sorts of inducements in order to get success and we couldn't do it with our own .

I wouldn't pay heed on that particular subject - background noise at this stage.
    I remember one obviously non-Dublin poster claiming that Dublin take footballers off other counties and Declan Darcy was his/her example. :D

The 'blow in' thing worked reasonably well for the hurlers under Dalo mixed with the generation of up and coming talent. However they were not a real threat to the top table just a League and Leinster. And an AI SF.

Not much giving out was done about it, the impression I got is that most 'hurling counties' were pleased for Dublin. Mainly because they were no real perceived threat.

It would have been interesting if the Dublin hurlers starting doing it regularly and actually getting to and winning AI hurling finals what the 'traditional hurling' county supporters would start saying! :D

I wouldn't care if we won it with a bunch of "foreign" lads. I think it'd spark off a hurling revolution in the county as well, and while it wouldn't be instant, I could see us competing properly with a full team of Dublin lads in 7 years or so.

I wouldn't care if we won it with a bunch of "foreign" lads. I think it'd spark off a hurling revolution in the county as well, and while it wouldn't be instant, I could see us competing properly with a full team of Dublin lads in 7 years or so.

To be completely honest I think hurling badly needs a strong Dublin hurling team. Cody has said it long enough. And I don't think he means it in a patronising way.

Hurling has so few teams that are competitive and it always seems way more 'parochial' than football. It is basically Munster plus Kilkenny, Galway and occasionally Wexford thrown in. It can't be healthy for the future of hurling that it is basically focused in one province. Football has much wider spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would have no problem with a few coming in as we certainly need some quality which we have lacked and would pay no heed to moaning from the usual crowd .I agree if we had success at all ire level our critics would be in full force .I think with all the success in football lately the anti dubs thing has upped a few notches and won't go away too soon .

• Advertisement

Sure isn't Dean Rock from Meath!

Sure isn't Dean Rock from Meath!

Haha my culchie auld fella was very quick to point that out, the bollix. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

No, he lives close to Ashbourne but is on the Dublin side of the border. His address would be Garristown, in Dublin.

dobman88 wrote: »
    No, he lives close to Ashbourne but is on the Dublin side of the border. His address would be Garristown, in Dublin.

Yeah I remember when the auld fella said it. I was straight on google maps. His argument was it is might as well be Meath! Just because he knew it would wind me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah I remember when the auld fella said it. I was straight on google maps. His argument was it is might as well be Meath! Just because he knew it would wind me up.

Only reason I'm certain of it is that when ye did the 5, Ashbourne credit union put a post on their social media congratulating him and they were met with an unholy backlash from the locals :pac: now he might well be a member of Ashbourne CU but the point was made that they didn't celebrate the local Christy ring winners lol. Very clannish the Meath lads.

So yeah, close to Ashbourne but definitely Garristown in Dublin.

Haha my culchie auld fella was very quick to point that out, the bollix. :D

It all comes out eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

dobman88 wrote: »

Barney Rock played with Garristown towards the end of career. Dean played juvenile with club before transferring to Ballymun.

It all comes out eventually!

He is one of those that loves those list of Dublin players connections to other counties, that get published normally after an all-ireland! He was delighted when Ciaran Kilkenny was given strong ties to Galway. Ollie Kilkenny, Purcell etc. Cos he is a Galway man. Naturally I made sure to get the 1983 retro jersey to wind him up. I make sure to wear it at Galway games. Of course he claims that he should have put Tomato sauce on it to make it look like blood! Loves reminding me of the time Corofin played Erin's Isle in 98. Corofin ran out and my first reaction was 'Jayus they have Meath colours'! Personally I think there should be helplines for GAA Dubs/Jackeens - that suffer years of GAA trauma from culchie parents!

As a pure blood I have no need for such a helpline. I can just look down upon you all with dismay from the top of my ivory tower Poolbeg Chimney!

• Advertisement

As a pure blood I have no need for such a helpline. I can just look down upon you all with dismay from the top of my ivory tower Poolbeg Chimney!

They could use it as test to get a Parnell Pass - you have few generations back to prove your 'Dubness' :D

Advertisement