Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Offseason 2019

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

To be fair, Lakers look very good in what I've seen so far. Definitely better than I expected them to be.

leggo wrote: »
    I don’t mean here, I follow a lot of US media myself because I’m big into NFL, NBA and US politics. It’s not really scratching the surface, I doubt it’s one of the top 5 stories right now, much less a cultural phenomenon that’ll be spoken about for years on par with ‘The Decision’. On talk shows I’d follow I saw it mentioned once last week (on The Daily Show) and it was more a 5-minute piece covering the story in general than LeBron’s role in it. And my ears would prick up if one of these shows got into a story like this because it’s a specific interest.

Whether it should be or not is another story, but personally I’m seeing a lot more sports coverage of the likes of Jalen Ramsey’s trade, and NBA-wise the usual pre-season thinkpieces seem to be more prevalent than this story. It’s just not moving the needle anywhere near that level. Though online today you can dive into rabbit holes and bubbles and convince yourself the entire world is talking about the specific thing you’re interested in.

I disagree. It's been on pretty much every TV talk show this week (even breakfast and mid-morning shows), and covered on all of the news outlets, and Fox News (do they count as a news outlet)?

It's been the No. 1 story basketball wise and not just covered but been the lead story on every basketball show this week and most of last. Simmons called it the biggest basketball story of the decade, even eclipsing Donald Sterling.

https://twitter.com/broestbros/status/1184976930694717440

Lol, there's loads of them, wish I had time to post more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,014 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Are there any decent fantasy NBA sites with a similar system to FPL?

Can only find sites which use a draft

Season long Fantasy sports in the US generally work around a draft, unless it’s daily fantasy like Draft Kings

• Registered Users Posts: 36,014 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think both LeBron and Morey would ideally have zipped it on Hong Kong.

From what I can understand of the situation, Hong Kong is Chinese territory and inevitably over time will come under a greater degree of Chinese political control. There is also clearly a significant section of the Hong Kong population that are pro China and welcome this idea.

The problem with sovereignty and free speech is that other nations have it too. A recurring theme for modern politics in various situations.

I don’t personally agree with LeBron, but I also think the Hong Kong situation is more nuanced than many would portray it as. Hopefully whatever course it takes won’t involve loss of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,688 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's been the No. 1 story basketball wise and not just covered but been the lead story on every basketball show this week and most of last. Simmons called it the biggest basketball story of the decade, even eclipsing Donald Sterling.

Man sorry but I think you're in a bubble if you think this story is anywhere near the scale of 'The Decision'. It's going to be forgotten about in a week. Simmons and Rusillo were downplaying the whole thing on their NBA over/under shows this weekend (and it was only brought up on the second of those shows on the less popular feed). It's more of a messy social media faux pas, a more serious version of Kevin Durant getting exposed for having burner accounts. It'll cost the league some money and deals in Asia, but people don't really feel too aggrieved for a league that turns over the millions that it does so won't care. It won't affect LeBron and his narrative will move on on Tuesday when we see him and AD vs the Clippers. There'll be no on-court ramifications so people won't see or feel the difference. None of us are in China or exposed to how they feel about the whole thing so any outrage felt on the ground won't even reach the States. And if Trump starting full-on trade wars with China doesn't get a significant reaction then LeBron making some ill-advised attempts at diplomacy as the NBA travels there won't start World War 3.

leggo wrote: »
    Man sorry but I think you're in a bubble if you think this story is anywhere near the scale of 'The Decision'. It's going to be forgotten about in a week. Simmons and Rusillo were downplaying the whole thing on their NBA over/under shows this weekend (and it was only brought up on the second of those shows on the less popular feed). It's more of a messy social media faux pas, a more serious version of Kevin Durant getting exposed for having burner accounts. It'll cost the league some money and deals in Asia, but people don't really feel too aggrieved for a league that turns over the millions that it does so won't care. It won't affect LeBron and his narrative will move on on Tuesday when we see him and AD vs the Clippers. There'll be no on-court ramifications so people won't see or feel the difference. None of us are in China or exposed to how they feel about the whole thing so any outrage felt on the ground won't even reach the States. And if Trump starting full-on trade wars with China doesn't get a significant reaction then LeBron making some ill-advised attempts at diplomacy as the NBA travels there won't start World War 3.

You must be listening to different podcasts than I'm listening to then.

Simmons called it "the biggest NBA story on the decade" just last week and said it has -plenty to run yet. It was the lead topic on

It was the lead story on almost every NBA basketball pod I listened to last week. Kevin O'Connor (a very measured and restrained journalist) , Ben Golliver (likewise), Woj, Zach Lowe (likewise) , and Windhorst (amongst others) all commented on how they were variously "very suprised", "disappointed" or that "LeBron was talking out of both sides of his mouth" and the general feeling was he had lost a lot of respect from those commentators. And I'm being kind in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Man they had a whole discussion about how they saw LeBron’s side and how he felt he had to say something (they disagreed on that) because the timing of the comments from Morey put him in a difficult spot as he was travelling to China. They agreed that he should’ve just come out and basically admitted as much and that he should’ve known better given the resources he has at his disposal. But it’s basically a storm in a teacup. Morley’s comments did damage to the NBA’s relationship with China, but that isn’t something that affects us fans on a day-to-day basis so we won’t see or feel any of the consequences and it’s already blowing over as a story. It’s a preseason talking point and, even at that, only so because pretty much anything out of the ordinary LeBron does becomes a talking point. Nothing more. ‘The Decision’ it most definitely is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Zion out for 6-8 weeks after surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus. I'd say the networks are sick with all the national games they are due to have.

Feel like the Pelicans will need to do something about his weight or else he's going to struggle and have a short career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Riquelme

I hope it isn't a case of what if with Zion. He's looked really promising in pre season. He'll have to shed some weight though. A man that heavy can't jump out the gym like he can and cut so fast like he can for too long before his legs completely break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,688 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

kmart6 wrote: »
    Zion out for 6-8 weeks after surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus. I'd say the networks are sick with all the national games they are due to have.

Feel like the Pelicans will need to do something about his weight or else he's going to struggle and have a short career.

There's something wrong with his body alright.
    This video came out 4 days ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Jaylen Brown signs a €115m 4 year extension. Not sure if that's vastly over paying, or turns out to be value

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

wins for Toronto and the Clippers to open the season. The Lakers 'away' fans gave Kawhi a fair booing as he was being introduced, but he had the last laugh after dropping 30 and winning, without Paul George. Hopefully a sign of things to come !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Advertisement