Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Summer League is mostly terrible, it's not pre-season it's just a couple rookies paired up with a bunch of guys you've never heard of playing iso ball every possession because they're trying to earn an NBA contract. I'll still watch it just to see how Portland's young lads look, Nassir Little looks extremely raw, hasn't had a good game yet but did throw down this massive dunk last night. Rookie drafted from IMG last year Anfernee Simons looks great, had 35 last night.

Haven't even watched the highlights of anyone other than the Blazers but Simons looked like he had a couple of big games. Shame about the ankle injury but it doesn't look too serious. Interesting to see how many minutes he gets - I imagine they'll bring in a vet PG for depth, but Simons looks like he's ready to contribute now and I hope he's given enough minutes to develop.

Trent Jr has looked pretty decent too, averaging just under 18 per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Latest Woj Pod (David Griffin) is very interesting. Worth listening to for as much as what he says as what he doesn’t - and he goes a lot further than I ever expected him to go publically at least on some subjects. Would urge you to listen to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Latest Woj Pod (David Griffin) is very interesting. Worth listening to for as much as what he says as what he doesn’t - and he goes a lot further than I ever expected him to go publically at least on some subjects. Would urge you to listen to it.

Flat out asked Vince Carter to consider Pelicans on The Jump during Summer League, we'll keep you a roster spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Registered Users Posts: 19,552 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I know they've literally played on the same team before but I have no idea how Westbrook and Harden will work together]

Also we're about to see unprecedented levels of mental gymnastics from Rockets fans who have been complaining about Westbrook for over half a decade.

Chris Paul must be seething, dumped onto a team in total rebuild mode destined to play tank commander for the remainder of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Okc have draft picks out the ying yang now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I don’t even know what to make of this trade, gearing up to be one hell of a season.
    One positive for sure, Chris Paul being put out to pasture !

Although iam sure Chris Paul will try and engineer a move to the Lakers. I would be surprised if he stays there but hopefully he does

Although iam sure Chris Paul will try and engineer a move to the Lakers. I would be surprised if he stays there but hopefully he does

There's no way he gets moved, his contract is way too big for a buyout and OKC can't trade him without giving up assets and there's no reason for them to do that.

There's no way he gets moved, his contract is way too big for a buyout and OKC can't trade him without giving up assets and there's no reason for them to do that.

I agree but the Thunder have a ton of picks now, they could try and off load paul for some of those picks and maybe get some young talent in.
    I don’t know, it’s been a crazy few weeks anything could happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Weird trade, I don’t see how it answers either side’s concerns tbh. Obviously it legitimises the rumours CP3 and Harden hated each other so that’s not Houston’s problem anymore, but I still don’t see them as any more of a contender than before and they gave up a lot there so it’s a win-now move. Meanwhile OKC have taken on one monster contract to get rid of another. Feels like both wanted to offload the player but couldn’t find any suitable trades so just went with the one that was available.

It’s sad that the original era of the Thunder is officially over, though. I remember watching Durant, Russ and Harden after their finals loss to the Heat and everyone was like “Oh they’ll be back.” And that was actually as good as it would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

In all though Westbrook's a better player at this stage of his career than CP3 currently, who's getting on a bit. People were skeptical of CP3 and Harden initially, and despite the relationship, the Rockets were a game away from taking down a fully fit Warriors side and going on to win the championship.

As a Rockets fan I'm cautiously optimistic. People were making similar claims also about Wade and Lebron being high usage players too, I'm not expecting a Championship but I think we can go deep into the playoffs. We should take advantage of GSW's injury woes and get a top 3 seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Interesting to see how Harden and Westbrook are going to share the ball.

LeBron is sitting with Palinka and a calculator as we speak.....

A swap with Houston for Chris Paul and assets?

My post from the day the PG trade broke......it made the most sense from a salary perspective.

I’d imagine the Chris Paul P|ssed Off Index is at an all time high though.

There’s always the Knicks!

Joking aside, wouldn’t rule anything out...

Only benefit to OKC is his deal is a year shorter than Westbroooks’. I wouldn’t exactly class him as a great veteran leader/locker room guy. I’d rather give SGA the minutes and let him develop - it’s not like they’re going to the play offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Would be a terrible move by the Lakers to go after Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

kmart6 wrote: »
    Interesting to see how Harden and Westbrook are going to share the ball.

30u62vd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kmart6 wrote: »
    Would be a terrible move by the Lakers to go after Paul.

They won’t, in good shape at this point

I don't see where the CP3 trade happens for the Lakers, zero assets, no space.

I don't even think a 3rd team could get involved, they have no way to consume it unless they wait till closer to the deadline and give up a few of their 5-8m guys expecting that the roster can be rounded out further with buyouts like the Cavs completely overhauled the year of IT.

Adams / Gallo / Roberson / SGA / Paul not a bad core, probably makes the playoffs.

If OKC really want to tank they should trade Paul to the Wizards for Wall and picks and hold the worst contract in the league while they do it.

• Advertisement

The Heat can take him and he reportedly wants to go there.

Re. The Lakers, they can’t do anything now, but they can post Dec. 15th. Now it’ll take a lot of moves before they even get to that point but I wouldn’t rule it out.

Chris Paul does not want to be in OKC, he’ll be moved, and considering how young they have gotten I don’t think they’d want a plssed off Chris Paul around. I’d bet almost anything on this.

Looking at it coldly, Russ is better and younger than Paul at this stage of their careers. It’s in theory a good move for Houston, but it depends on how they gel of course.

It’s a good move for Hou, maximises their window. Harden can take plays off as a spot up shooter and let Westbrook gun away. Westbrook’s contract one year shorter too.

Strictly speaking, Hou paid too much. But you can pay too much during your window to keep hopes of a championship alive, that’s okay.

I really don’t see the Lakers doing anything to get Paul. LeBron will run the point in crunch time and Vogel will get a lot out of their ability to put good defensive lineups on the floor out of what they’ve got. I think they’re a good team, better than people who are fixated on them not getting Kawhi think. They’ll start well and won’t be looking for another major piece.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It’s a good move for Hou, maximises their window. Harden can take plays off as a spot up shooter and let Westbrook gun away. Westbrook’s contract one year shorter too.

Strictly speaking, Hou paid too much. But you can pay too much during your window to keep hopes of a championship alive, that’s okay.

I really don’t see the Lakers doing anything to get Paul. LeBron will run the point in crunch time and Vogel will get a lot out of their ability to put good defensive lineups on the floor out of what they’ve got. I think they’re a good team, better than people who are fixated on them not getting Kawhi think. They’ll start well and won’t be looking for another major piece.

They'll pick up some buy outs closer to the deadline though, some team that's envisaged to make the playoffs with a couple of decent Vets will bomb, buy out their large vet contracts and both LA teams will be vying for their services.

I like the CP3 for Wall idea for OKC but Wizards probably don't do it, they're holding out hope he reclaims some of that ability because tbf he's a pass first PG so a little bit of reinvention and he could still be very useful albeit not 40m+ worth of use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Think it's a necessary roll of the dice by Houston but just not one that's going to work out. Just don't think Westbrook's style of play allows for a championship winning team. He's too wasteful.

Also would worry about them defensively. Harden's D was good last year but off the ball he's not the best, neither is Westbrook.

Also just don't see Westbrook as a good fit for D'Antoni. He's enough of a creative type that the offense prefers.

Be very interesting to see how it plays out but I think chances are it's not going to end well.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It’s a good move for Hou, maximises their window. Harden can take plays off as a spot up shooter and let Westbrook gun away.

The bigger problem is what happens with Westbrook when Harden handles the ball, Harden and Paul could both be spot up shooters when the other handled, Westbrook can't shoot.

The bigger problem is what happens with Westbrook when Harden handles the ball, Harden and Paul could both be spot up shooters when the other handled, Westbrook can't shoot.

It’s far from a perfect fit, that’s for sure. Paul is also a better defender, even now. But you’ve now got two guys in the back court who can win games by themselves. It’s on D’antoini to make it work. Unfortunately he may end up being a fall guy if it doesn’t work.

I think the biggest shock in all of this is that Billy Donovan has somehow outlasted Russell Westbrook at OKC

Nate Duncan (rightly) going hard on the criticism for Klutch/Morris after their handling of the move to the Spurs in his latest pod. Worth listening to.

I think the biggest shock in all of this is that Billy Donovan has somehow outlasted Russell Westbrook at OKC

Hadn’t actually thought about that, but yes it’s surprising.

• Advertisement

Nate Duncan (rightly) going hard on the criticism for Klutch/Morris after their handling of the move to the Spurs in his latest pod. Worth listening to.

I see it from both sides. Reneging looks poor but I think its less to do with the extra 5m this year than a strategic move where his value increases proportionately next year when fewer high quality free agents are available.

He mentioned hes been disappointed with the interest in him this year but with less big fish next year he may be more prized.

Also @anyone has a market for most improved been released for next year.
    I can't seem to get sportsbet.au which is usually first to market outside of the US and they run PP & BF American sports now so usually it indicates what will appear here.

Advertisement