Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

qwabercd wrote: »
    The open floor podcast will probably be discontinued now that Sharp is gone from SI? Hope they can keep something going between the 2 of them, I'd really miss it if not.

The name might change but they’ll be able to continue the show no problem. I was a little worried when Golliver left SI tbh but don’t see this as an issue.

I am somewhat surprised he was amongst the lay offs though as Open Floor is the No. 1 podcast on the si network. Seems like a very traditional/old school print move not realising the landscape has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So China has thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Daryl Morey tweeted 1 (since deleted) message of support for the people of Hong Kong.
    Now the CBA & Tencent are stopping all work with/around the Rockets.
    Let's see how much they actually value democracy & freedom of speech in America.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I think they’ve seriously misjudged public sentiment on this one. I’d expect this from the NFL, not the NBA. Bad move.

• Advertisement

That’ll show them!

Pretty big over reaction there....

NBA finally doing an about-face in favour of free speech:

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1181499239626661888
    https://twitter.com/business/status/1181552615106080768
    https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1181497808563658752

China no longer broadcasting NBA basketball

https://twitter.com/YuFuTroy/status/1181465482769178624
    We have seen the response from Adam Silver regarding his opinion on Morey’s inappropriate statement related to Hong Kong. We are very dissatisfied and we disagree about Adam’s claim to support Morey’s statement about freedom of speech. We believe that any speech that challenges national sovereignty and social stability is not within the realm of freedom of speech.

Thus, CCTV have decided to immediately stop all broadcasting schedules of the NBA preseason games in China, and start to investigate all cooperation and communication involving NBA.

It’s all a bit late. They’ve lost a lot of credibility on this issue IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Morey shouldn’t really express any personal political opinions on social media. He should be smarter than that. China reacting exactly as they would be expected to react. The NBA are right in their eventual stance too. But I bet Silver is cursing Morey behind close doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

It’s all a bit late. They’ve lost a lot of credibility on this issue IMO.

Better late than never, we should probably look at it as a glass half full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Are there any decent fantasy NBA sites with a similar system to FPL?

Can only find sites which use a draft

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In a world where Trump exists, Daryl Morey is the last person you'd have expected to cause a diplomatic incident with the Chinese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

Better late than never, we should probably look at it as a glass half full

The NBA 100% deserves the kicking it's been getting over the last week.Hopefully this ends the NBA's outwardly political era and they just stick to basketball from now on.People wouldn't have an issue with them dodging questions and kissing China's ass if they hadn't been shoving their supposed progressiveness down everyone's throat over the last few years.They quite deliberately tried to pretend to be better than other sports leagues and cared about people more and were more than just a business when they were really the exact same as all other sports leagues.The NBA's progressive stance on political issues was good for business so that's why they did it, if it had been bad for business (like pissing China off is ) we wouldn't have has to endure all the pontificating from the likes of Steve Kerr and Greg Popovich in relation to Donald Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

So now LeBron comes out and says that Daryl Morey was misinformed about the situation in Hong Kong before he sent out the tweet.

So we have LeBron essentially becoming a pro Chinese Government spokesman and telling Morey to shut up because it has negative financial consequences for the NBA.

I'm confused I thought LeBron was a social justice leader and in favour of free speech.

Pathetic comments from LeBron James.

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    So now LeBron comes out and says that Daryl Morey was misinformed about the situation in Hong Kong before he sent out the tweet.

So we have LeBron essentially becoming a pro Chinese Government spokesman and telling Morey to shut up because it has negative financial consequences for the NBA.

I'm confused I thought LeBron was a social justice leader and in favour of free speech.

Hey! Don’t you know you’re not allowed criticise LeBron on boards? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Dog Murphy wrote: »

Disgraceful stuff alright. Social justice and free speech until it starts to hit him in his pocket...

And strangely silence from the LeFanClub.......hmmmm.

US media having a field day with it and he's getting lots of criticism for his comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

US media having a field day with it and he's getting lots of criticism for his comments.

And rightly so! It's one of the most shocking displays of hypocrisy I've seen from a public figure* It's rare an off-season, off the court headline like this catches my interest but I can't let this one go!

Usually I try to give LeBron a fair shake and I understand it's hard to be anything close to a normal person after a lifetime of being told you are the greatest- but this is indefensible.

*Not counting politicians

And strangely silence from the LeFanClub.......hmmmm.

I think it’s been said before and before that and before that but you really have to let the LeBron thing go brah, it’s not healthy

• Advertisement

I would be first to admit that iam not an expert on the Hong Kong situation but I know enough to know the history of Hong Kong and China’s history of autharionism and abuse. China will eroded away at Hong Kong’s freedoms until it regains full control in the future

Disappointing to see LeBron go down the wrong road since his voice would carry a bit of weight.

I think it’s been said before and before that and before that but you really have to let the LeBron thing go brah, it’s not healthy

My health is perfectly fine dude. Just because I point out his flaws compared to fawn over every single thing he does doesn’t make me sick. Some here think I’m
    obsessed with LeBron, quite the contrary.

Anyway, was listening to the Ringer NBA Show last night and they referenced a story I’d pretty much forgotten about where LeBron refused to sign a Cavs players letter of condemnation to China re. human rights abuses, and various tweets he’s issued over the years.

When you see the reaction in the mainstream media this has generated this could end up being The Decision Part II from a PR perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I dunno. The issue is barely gaining traction here among people who follow every step of the NBA, I think you’re reaching expecting the entire world to take notice. “Who will this really good player play for?” makes for much easier watercooler discussion than trying to understand the dynamics of the Hong Kong/China situation and weighing up how LeBron’s commercial interests in that market affect his public stance.

leggo wrote: »
    I dunno. The issue is barely gaining traction here among people who follow every step of the NBA, I think you’re reaching expecting the entire world to take notice. “Who will this really good player play for?” makes for much easier watercooler discussion than trying to understand the dynamics of the Hong Kong/China situation and weighing up how LeBron’s commercial interests in that market affect his public stance.

The reality of that is no matter what happens in the NBA it barely makes any news here to be fair. There was a small comment piece on the NBA China issue (pre-LBJ weighing in) in last weekend's irish Times or Sunday Independent (Can't excatly remember which), but it's huge news in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2807065-bradley-beal-wizards-agree-to-2-year-72m-max-contract-extension

Someone just got paid. Although all it means is that they might get something of value in return when he inevitably gets sick of carrying the franchise on his back and asks for a trade. No way he's still there at the end of that contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The reality of that is no matter what happens in the NBA it barely makes any news here to be fair. There was a small comment piece on the NBA China issue (pre-LBJ weighing in) in last weekend's irish Times or Sunday Independent (Can't excatly remember which), but it's huge news in the US.

I don’t mean here, I follow a lot of US media myself because I’m big into NFL, NBA and US politics. It’s not really scratching the surface, I doubt it’s one of the top 5 stories right now, much less a cultural phenomenon that’ll be spoken about for years on par with ‘The Decision’. On talk shows I’d follow I saw it mentioned once last week (on The Daily Show) and it was more a 5-minute piece covering the story in general than LeBron’s role in it. And my ears would prick up if one of these shows got into a story like this because it’s a specific interest.

Whether it should be or not is another story, but personally I’m seeing a lot more sports coverage of the likes of Jalen Ramsey’s trade, and NBA-wise the usual pre-season thinkpieces seem to be more prevalent than this story. It’s just not moving the needle anywhere near that level. Though online today you can dive into rabbit holes and bubbles and convince yourself the entire world is talking about the specific thing you’re interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Damn, League Pass single team has gone up from €10.99 to €16.99, anyone sign up using a VPN? Wondering if I can still watch on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

From the clips I saw on Twitter my Lakers were looking good. Of course, it's just preseason so we'll see how things pan out.

• Advertisement

Advertisement