Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I see it from both sides. Reneging looks poor but I think its less to do with the extra 5m this year than a strategic move where his value increases proportionately next year when fewer high quality free agents are available.

He mentioned hes been disappointed with the interest in him this year but with less big fish next year he may be more prized.

Also @anyone has a market for most improved been released for next year.
    I can't seem to get sportsbet.au which is usually first to market outside of the US and they run PP & BF American sports now so usually it indicates what will appear here.

Ah come on now. The Spurs moved Bertrans to make room for Morris. He ageeed to sign there. Honour your commitments. This is an extremely rare occurrence in pro sports the US. I honestly can’t beluebe you’re trying to excuse this, even a little?

It’s just another example of Rich Paul doing whatever the f*ck he wants and no penalties coming from the league because they’re basically afraid to tackle him, for a variety of reasons. I’d like to think this stunt will make teams vary of dealing with them (Klutch), the reality is it probs ly won’t. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Ah come on now. The Spurs moved Bertrans to make room for Morris. He ageeed to sign there. Honour your commitments. This is an extremely rare occurrence in pro sports the US. I honestly can’t beluebe you’re trying to excuse this, even a little?

It’s just another example of Rich Paul doing whatever the f*ck he wants and no penalties coming from the league because they’re basically afraid to tackle him, for a variety of reasons. I’d like to think this stunt will make teams vary of dealing with them (Klutch), the reality is it probs ly won’t. Sigh.

Totally disagree, professional sports has an incredibly small window in order for players to capitalise on their opportunities.
    NFL probably the best example with an average career length of 3.3 years while NBA is 4.5.
    No scenario where players should decide what's best for a team which wont reciprocate the gesture unless you're Dirk, Kobe, Duncan etc.

Take a look at Boogie, IT etc, especially IT, destroys his ability to secure a 100m dollar contract for what?
    So the Celtics could give him a tribute video and he fights for Vet minimum.

Stop Butters, this is a cut throat business and players should do what's best for them. You may have a point around honouring contracts but verbal agreements can be broken if it's in the best interest of your career.

Klutch/Rich Paul/LBJ who cares who's involved, players should do what's best for them. I find it hard to understand any other position to take in light of how non-superstar players are treated.

Totally disagree, professional sports has an incredibly small window in order for players to capitalise on their opportunities.
    NFL probably the best example with an average career length of 3.3 years while NBA is 4.5.
    No scenario where players should decide what's best for a team which wont reciprocate the gesture unless you're Dirk, Kobe, Duncan etc.

Take a look at Boogie, IT etc, especially IT, destroys his ability to secure a 100m dollar contract for what?
    So the Celtics could give him a tribute video and he fights for Vet minimum.

Stop Butters, this is a cut throat business and players should do what's best for them. You may have a point around honouring contracts but verbal agreements can be broken if it's in the best interest of your career.

Klutch/Rich Paul/LBJ who cares who's involved, players should do what's best for them. I find it hard to understand any other position to take in light of how non-superstar players are treated.

I didn’t mention you know who.

Have to disagree, this was not a straightforward change of mind with no consequences. The Spurs traded a player to make room for him, and were paying more guaranteed money (admittedly over a longer time frame). Does your word not matter anymore? This is not how to conduct yourself professionally in any walk of life, but being an Agent is a relationship business and people will remember this. It says an awful lot about Rich Paul and how he conducts himself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I am pro player in every situation where money is involved. **** the owners. Careers are short, whatever maximises your leverage and your money. No players no product.

I watched some Big 3 yesterday/last night. I have to wonder how there is an audience for this stuff tbh.

• Advertisement

I didn’t mention you know who.

Have to disagree, this was not a straightforward change of mind with no consequences. The Spurs traded a player to make room for him, and were paying more guaranteed money (admittedly over a longer time frame). Does your word not matter anymore? This is not how to conduct yourself professionally in any walk of life, but being an Agent is a relationship business and people will remember this. It says an awful lot about Rich Paul and how he conducts himself tbh.

I honestly dont think them moving a player to make room for him should factor into the players decision. If they had the space outstanding or moving a player, it's all part of the process.

I agree someone's word should be honoured in some circumstances, I had a somewhat similar spot after completing my MSc last year.

I received a fantastic offer within 2 days of my first interview with one company which wasnt my first choice.
    I was waiting 2 weeks for another company which I was very enthusiastic about to make an offer which only came a couple of days after the first.
    No contract had been signed but I decided to honour the first, I'm glad I did but retrospectively I would feel fine if I changed my mind.

Intuitively I'd echo a similar sentiment to you but I think practically players should simply capitalise on the opportunities they feel are best for them especially in light of how little loyalty teams have shown to players.

I watched some Big 3 yesterday/last night. I have to wonder how there is an audience for this stuff tbh.

Cuttino Mobley is the man tbf.

I see Baron Davis, Lamar Odom and a couple of other well known names didn't make rosters.
    A tad surprised about Baron Davis

Cuttino Mobley is the man tbf.

I see Baron Davis, Lamar Odom and a couple of other well known names didn't make rosters.
    A tad surprised about Baron Davis

From what I read/watched they were out of shape (Odom particularly so) or disinterested/not fully committed.

I just can't believe people would pay to watch some old and in most cases out of shape players play essentially pick up ball.

The one guy I saw last year who still had it was Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. Don't know if he's still involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

From what I read/watched they were out of shape (Odom particularly so) or disinterested/not fully committed.

I just can't believe people would pay to watch some old and in most cases out of shape players play essentially pick up ball.

The one guy I saw last year who still had it was Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. Don't know if he's still involved?

Years ago they used to have masters soccer on Sky and it was dreadful ****e just a bunch of auld fat lads playing indoor soccer.

The only sport that has really made the old guys playing it work as a sport is golf but that's because it's not a very athletic sport and older players playing it isn't anywhere near as far off watching the regular PGA tour players.

I imagine watching older guys play basketball must be fairly dreadful considering how athletic a sport basketball is.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I've watched a good bit of the Triplets games just to watch Joe Johnson absolutely dominate. Not surprised it has a crowd - not many better alternatives on right now and tickets are buy one get one free. Worse ways to spend a Saturday/Sunday.

• Advertisement

Amare seems to be crushing it too, I wonder will a contender take a look at some stage this season.

Amare seems to be crushing it too, I wonder will a contender take a look at some stage this season.

He and Monta Ellis both held a workout in Vegas which a bunch of teams attended so wouldn't rule anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I like about 15 sports obsessively so I’m never stuck for something to watch, but if basketball was my only thing I’d absolutely be up for watching older players play pick-up. I love watching the celeb game at All-Star Weekend, stuff like that only shows you what ‘normal’ people are like and makes you appreciate the level of quality in the NBA more. Plus sport is sport: regardless of quality, if you’ve got teams who are relatively evenly matched you’ll still end with the same dramas etc.

Legion. wrote: »
    I've watched a good bit of the Triplets games just to watch Joe Johnson absolutely dominate. Not surprised it has a crowd - not many better alternatives on right now and tickets are buy one get one free. Worse ways to spend a Saturday/Sunday.

Wasn’t aware the tickets were BOGOF and I guess I’d go for the novelty value once sipping a few beers to pass the day but not sure I’d be going more than that after seeing the fare on offer. Even that though could prove crazily expensive given the prices in Barclays and other venues they’re using.

The Lakers are apparently about to sign JR Smith......no comment necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

How many more guards do the Lakers need?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The Lakers are apparently about to sign JR Smith......no comment necessary.
    Where have you seen that? Woj saying the exact opposite.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Where have you seen that? Woj saying the exact opposite.

It was on one of the many talking head show snippets I watched on YouTube last night. Honestly can’t remember which one at this point....if it comes to me later I’ll repost, was exhausted when watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

FiveThirtyEight carmelo projections have the Rockets to be number 1 seed in the West. :pac:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-way-too-early-projections-for-the-2019-20-nba-season/

FiveThirtyEight carmelo projections have the Rockets to be number 1 seed in the West. :pac:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-way-too-early-projections-for-the-2019-20-nba-season/

They've the Sixers winning it all too. :eek:

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t rule it out with the load management both LA teams will likely employ and GS decimated. Denver might be a good sneaky bet on this too.

On Sixers, again, wouldn’t rule it out. They got better IMO, and they could have won it all this year had things been slightly different. Biggest issue for them will likely be injuries, or the threat of same.

Legion. wrote: »
    They've the Sixers winning it all too. :eek:

Just love Nate too much, consistently going out on the limb, lets the numbers speak for themselves.

If Ben makes the leap and Embiid stays fit then it seems plausible, that prediction is essentially saying that the 76ers are a 4/5(55%) shot to win East but you can have them at 5/2(28.5%)

Choo Choo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

FWIW my biggest antepost bets so far are Embiid for MVP and 6ers for the chip :pac:

Absolutely not happy with how they underrate my Kings though!

Angliru wrote: »
    FWIW my biggest antepost bets so far are Embiid for MVP and 6ers for the chip :pac:

Absolutely not happy with how they overrateunderrate my Kings though!

FYP ;)

7% chance of making playoffs, Bagley & Giles would need to turn into Hakeem & Sampson to make it happen.

FWIW I'm too high on Bagley, absolutely love his potential, arguably the best 2nd bounce I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

FYP ;)

7% chance of making playoffs, Bagley & Giles would need to turn into Hakeem & Sampson to make it happen.

FWIW I'm too high on Bagley, absolutely love his potential, arguably the best 2nd bounce I've ever seen.

I understand their logic to an extent but it is still piss poor having them below the Suns I feel no matter what the reverse engineering says.

I love Bagley, his second jump is like nothing I've ever seen for sure. He should lock himself in as a starter before Christmas. Hopefully Fox and Hield can push on too. Interestingly 538 doesn't rate Bagley at all even though consensus is that he finished the season well and should push on.

I'm not saying we'll make playoffs but I think we have to be there or thereabouts unless something goes really wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,551 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

They've got the Suns winning 35 games? They haven't won more than 24 in the past 4 seasons, I don't see Ricky Rubio and Dario Saric changing too much there.

No-one wants Chris Paul and his contract apparently. He’ll end up at the Lakers yet, may take some time and a buyout, but he’ll prob be there by All Star break.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If he ends up at the Lakers post buyout that would be phenomenal for them - or any contender. He is still a positive player and he performed well in the playoffs the last two years. You take the giant contract out of the equation and he’s a big asset for a team looking to win a Championship.

No-one wants Chris Paul and his contract apparently. He’ll end up at the Lakers yet, may take some time and a buyout, but he’ll prob be there by All Star break.

Buyout?? Isn't he still due 120m or so over the next 3 years? I don't see why he'd give up that money, or why anyone would give it to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,551 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

There's no reason for OKC to get rid of him anyway, they don't care about their cap space, the only reason they'd give up assets to trade him to a contender would be as a favour to him but why would they care about that?

Advertisement