Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Australia beat the US last night. Mills in particular and Bogut were excellent, some great high post pick and roll action from both that the US really had no answers for.

They had won 78 games in a row, last team to beat them were Greece in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,552 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Police have issued an arrest warrant against Boogie Cousins for domestic abuse, what a month he's had.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1167161571015057408?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Turkey lose to the US by 1 in overtime. Up 1 with 9 seconds left, they missed 4 consecutive free throws before Kris Middleton nailed 2 free throws with 2.1 seconds left to give the US the win. Tatum injured on last play of the game (ankle).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Turkey lose to the US by 1 in overtime. Up 1 with 9 seconds left, they missed 4 consecutive free throws before Kris Middleton nailed 2 free throws with 2.1 seconds left to give the US the win. Tatum injured on last play of the game (ankle).

It was an insane slip up from Turkey. I felt bad for them after, that would have been one of Turkeys great sporting wins.

As much as I have enjoyed watching team USA superteams in the past, I think it's best for the sake of the tournament that we have a 3rd or 4th rate USA team.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    It was an insane slip up from Turkey. I felt bad for them after, that would have been one of Turkeys great sporting wins.

As much as I have enjoyed watching team USA superteams in the past, I think it's best for the sake of the tournament that we have a 3rd or 4th rate USA team.

Agree, it's much better when it's an open tournament. I never liked watching blow outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Big game today between Spain and Italy as whoever loses is gone pretty much. Serbia are amazing, the ball movement is so fast that sometimes I'm left dizzy. Definitely the going to win It out.

Spain beat Serbia handily enough, just a little too streetwise for them. Mixes it up a bit.

Serbia down 8 with less than a minute to go v Argentina in the Quarter Final. Bit of a shock....

Am I the only one watching the Worlds.......?

I am dude. I've seen nearly all the Spanish games and all the united states games as it's on Spanish tv. I thought Serbia would win it but after the Spanish game and how the Spanish coach outsmarted the serbian one, I changed my opinion. Don't know who's going to win it now. I will say though that if the united states win it the other teams will be kicking themselves. Anyways, vamos España.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Is this on anywhere over here?

leggo wrote: »

It is if you have Kodi....

FIBA have a YouTube channel that do highlights packages every night - from short (3min) to 10min to full games.

France have eliminated the united states. To be honest their elimination has been coming. Wide open tournament now. Australia vs czech republic next, suppose Australia Will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

It is if you have Kodi....

FIBA have a YouTube channel that do highlights packages every night - from short (3min) to 10min to full games.

Can you PM?

bot43 wrote: »
    Can you PM?

Hit me up

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

leggo wrote: »

Eurosport have the UK & Ireland TV rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A bit meh on International basketball now, tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A bit meh on International basketball now, tbh.

I've always enjoyed it, I see it as very different from the NBA game stylistically, but for me there's a beauty to it. I see it as very much chess v. the athletic US game. I enjoy the shooting, the passing, the spacing, the pick and roll, and esp. the teamwork v the more individual NBA game.

I've been to countless NBA games and countless Euro League/European Championships and the Worlds in Madrid in 2014. The atmosphere at all of the Euro/Worlds competitions iis infinitely better than NBA games. US College has an even better atmosphere to be fair too.

I can completely understand though how many/most would find it boring by comparison.

I've always enjoyed it, I see it as very different from the NBA game stylistically, but for me there's a beauty to it. I see it as very much chess v. the athletic US game. I enjoy the shooting, the passing, the spacing, the pick and roll, and esp. the teamwork v the more individual NBA game.

I've been to countless NBA games and countless Euro League/European Championships and the Worlds in Madrid in 2014. The atmosphere at all of the Euro/Worlds competitions iis infinitely better than NBA games. US College has an even better atmosphere to be fair too.

I can completely understand though how many/most would find it boring by comparison.

US lose again, to Serbia who were up 25 in the first quarter where the US scored just 7 points. Re. the above, great stat on one of the US pods last night from before the loss to France - US were first in 3 point attempts, and 18th in 3pt FG %. That's shocking tbh. Serbia shot the lights out from 3 in the first quarter (8/9) and Bogdanovic looked like the best player on the court by miles. US were only down 4 at the half but Serbia never really looked like losing always finding a way to score when the US got close. Great game and really worth watching back, esp. for the first quarter display by Serbia.

This is some game, Spain winning by a point 22-21, end if first quarter.

• Advertisement

This is some game, Spain winning by a point 22-21, end if first quarter.

Sadly I'm at work and can't watcvh until later. Any one of the last 4 could win it tbh. In likely order I see France, Australia, Spain and Argentina a somewhat distant 4th, with France as slight favourites and Spain and Australia a toss up tbh.

Sadly I'm at work and can't watcvh until later. Any one of the last 4 could win it tbh. In likely order I see France, Australia, Spain and Argentina a somewhat distant 4th, with France as slight favourites and Spain and Australia a toss up tbh.

Yeah France look very good. 37-32 in favour of Australia at the moment. Spain are doing alright on defence, it's their offence that's killing them, trying to force the 3. Patty Mills having a great game for Australia. Delavedova looks real hot and bothered after receiving an elbow from Klaver. Spain should target him.

VAMOS!!! What heart Spain showed to come back from 11 down in the last quarter. And then to show all their street smarts and experience to win It. Marc Gasol was massive. Llull was also fantastic, bottled up Mills in overtime and scored two huge threes in second overtime.

Wow Argentina. They played some game against the french, Scola nearly 40 years of age and playing like a 25 year old. Argentina have no NBA player and they beat a team with 4 of them one of them being the DPOY. Unbelievable. Campazzo is also great to watch.

Wow Argentina. They played some game against the french, Scola nearly 40 years of age and playing like a 25 year old. Argentina have no NBA player and they beat a team with 4 of them one of them being the DPOY. Unbelievable. Campazzo is also great to watch.

Campazzo could and probably should be in the NBA but he's in Madrid with Real and he's "the man" (particularly this year after Doncic left). He has an NBA buyout in his latest contract and given how he's played in the World's he's likely going to attract a lot of attention next summer. He is very small though and that is likely a contributing factor to teams staying away until now. I suspect he'll be int he NBA next year though on some team.

France looking like they're going to gain some revenge over Australia in the 3rd place game at the moment in a very low scoring game. Australia going to go home without a medal again it seems.

One thing that has stood out for me in this year's World's is the amount of Utah Jazz players who've had good World Cups. I know people are high on them for next year but they have had a lot of key perfomers for many countries.

Campazzo could and probably should be in the NBA but he's in Madrid with Real and he's "the man" (particularly this year after Doncic left). He has an NBA buyout in his latest contract and given how he's played in the World's he's likely going to attract a lot of attention next summer. He is very small though and that is likely a contributing factor to teams staying away until now. I suspect he'll be int he NBA next year though on some team.

France looking like they're going to gain some revenge over Australia in the 3rd place game at the moment in a very low scoring game. Australia going to go home without a medal again it seems.

One thing that has stood out for me in this year's World's is the amount of Utah Jazz players who've had good World Cups. I know people are high on them for next year but they have had a lot of key perfomers for many countries.

Yeah the French beat the Aussies in the end. That Albicy who was poor for them throughout the tournament played really well today so did poirier, who I see plays for the Celtics? Never seen him play for them last year. Gobert was fairly anonymous these last two games.

Fair amount of jazz players alright, I thought Mitchell was the best for the U.S. Jingles had a good game today, was poor against Spain. Gobert was great against the U.S but pants in the last two games. Rubio doesn't count now as he's gone to phoenix haha although he has been excellent.

12 minutes to go until the game begins. I hope Spain win but if Argentina win I won't be too upset as they are great to watch.

Spain world champions! They played unreal, their defence really smothered argentina. Llull was great, that man is great at putting out fires by getting vital baskets, I thought rudy fernandez was great as well, won a load of rebounds. Also thought Klaver was immense, one of Spain's players of the tournament, crazy good in defence. As for Argentina I feel sorry for them as maybe they got a bit stage frightened. However I do think a couple of their players have put themselves in the nba shop windows, especially laprovittola, deck and campazzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So the NBA's stipulation for "real height" is finally showing some results.
    SEbBVxYl.png

JJ Barea 6'0" -> 5'10"
    Kristaps Porzingis 7'3" -> 7'2.75"
    Boban Marjanovic 7'3" -> 7'3.5"

Lonzo Ball has worked on his shooting form - looks much better now!

https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1178732029506179077

East is f*cked.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So the NBA's stipulation for "real height" is finally showing some results.
    SEbBVxYl.png

JJ Barea 6'0" -> 5'10"
    Kristaps Porzingis 7'3" -> 7'2.75"
    Boban Marjanovic 7'3" -> 7'3.5"

Lonzo Ball has worked on his shooting form - looks much better now!

https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1178732029506179077

East is f*cked.

Interesting (but short) Woj Pod interview with Lonzo this week. He's matured for sure.

In other news, I'm going to the GS v Orlando game on Dec. 1st. in Orlando. I'll also be there in November as well at a conference but not sure if I'll catch a game then. Also in Boston from November 2nd-6th but just my luck there's no home games on during that time. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

The open floor podcast will probably be discontinued now that Sharp is gone from SI? Hope they can keep something going between the 2 of them, I'd really miss it if not.

Advertisement