Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I see David Griffin has repeated his comments from the Woj pod a few weeks back and even gone a little deeper in print. Another hater no doubt.

Are you talking about the comments regarding LeBron making the championship run almost unbearable? He's had to completely crawl away from those comments recently, saying they were taken out of context. Even got woj to clarify the whole thing.

Either Griffin is very scared of LeBrons influence or really was just misquoted. Seems like a very capable GM in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the comments regarding LeBron making the championship run almost unbearable? He's had to completely crawl away from those comments recently, saying they were taken out of context. Even got woj to clarify the whole thing.

Either Griffin is very scared of LeBrons influence or really was just misquoted. Seems like a very capable GM in fairness.

Have you listened to the Woj podcast? I suspect not. I listened to it in full and mentioned it the day it went up (possibly the day after) - it's very good.

And given what he said on the pod I don't think he was misquoted. He stepped back from the printed comments a little, but by no means completely. And yes, he probably is scared of LeBron's influence as you put it.

So while he can back away from the print comments, he said what he said on the podcast. And it's nothing that hasn't been mentioned here and elsewhere in recent years. Windhorst has discussed at length the difficulties LeBron created in Cleveland by refusing to sign anything but 1 year deals in his second term. No doubt Windhorst is a hater too........he's anything but of course, but fair play to him, he does criticise LeBron where it is deserved at times - unlike a lot of the media.

FFS a grown man joining into a Layup Line at at U15 game and you're excusing it, nay, celebrating it? If you saw someone do that here you'd think he's a twat - and rightly so. But LeBron does it and "it's fantastic".

But sure I'm just a hater. As are all of the journalists who criticised him for it. :rolleyes:

Will you ever give over with the hater stuff, you sarcastically call yourself a hater on every second post. We get it, you don't consider yourself a hater, there is really no need to add it to every LeBron related post!

Have you listened to the Woj podcast? I suspect not. I listened to it in full and mentioned it the day it went up (possibly the day after) - it's very good.

And given what he said on the pod I don't think he was misquoted. He stepped back from the printed comments a little, but by no means completely. And yes, he probably is scared of LeBron's influence as you put it.

So while he can back away from the print comments, he said what he said on the podcast. And it's nothing that hasn't been mentioned here and elsewhere in recent years. Windhorst has discussed at length the difficulties LeBron created in Cleveland by refusing to sign anything but 1 year deals in his second term. No doubt Windhorst is a hater too........he's anything but of course, but fair play to him, he does criticise LeBron where it is deserved at times - unlike a lot of the media.

I did listen to the podcast- I wouldn't listen to every Woj broadcast but if it's somebody who interests me I'll listen in. I was more interested in his thoughts on the Pelicans going forward but I thought his answers were pretty "diplomatic" on the subject.

The LeBron stuff was grand, i took it as mostly derisive towards the media/fan expectation rather than LeBron but you could tell he didn't enjoy working with LeBron in general. Pretty decent podcast all round but as I said the Pelicans stuff was pretty bland.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Will you ever give over with the hater stuff, you sarcastically call yourself a hater on every second post. We get it, you don't consider yourself a hater, there is really no need to add it to every LeBron related post!

I was merely getting it in before I was once again called it by the LeFanClub, because I and everyone else who criticises LeBron is wrong - obviously. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,552 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I await the hate btw.
    You’re not allowed criticise LeBron on here. Apparently.

But let me guess, me and everyone else (like the large numbers of US media who have criticised it are all “haters”.
    I see David Griffin has repeated his comments from the Woj pod a few weeks back and even gone a little deeper in print. Another hater no doubt.

But sure I'm just a hater. As are all of the journalists who criticised him for it. :rolleyes:

No doubt Windhorst is a hater too........he's anything but of course, but fair play to him, he does criticise LeBron where it is deserved at times - unlike a lot of the media.

Ah here Suki that's literally 6 comments in a row with this "everyone's calling me a hater" shíte while nobody is actually doing so, would you give it a rest?

Ah here Suki that's literally 6 comments in a row with this "everyone's calling me a hater" shíte while nobody is actually doing so, would you give it a rest?

Yup, there’s absolutely no precedent for anyone calling me a hater anytime I criticise LeBron on here. None whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yup, there’s absolutely no precedent for anyone calling me a hater anytime I criticise LeBron on here. None whatsoever.

I love you but we just have to let the lebron stuff rest

I love you but we just have to let the lebron stuff rest

And once again... it was widely commented and roundly criticised on in the US media on tv, radio, and podcasts; he can’t be immune from criticism on here. Are all of these commentators, journalists and talking heads haters too?

I’d have said any other player joining in his son’s layup line (knowing full well it’s going to go viral) was embarrassing, it’s not like I’m singling him out.

Anyway, for anyone who’s interested, there’s a good Dan LeBatard and Brian Windhorst interview available on both of their podcasts.

Completely unrelated to the NBA but congrats to the U20 Women’s Team on their 3rd place but more importantly promotion to the Division A. Incredible achievement really given the size of our population and the under-funding of the sport in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I presume a number of those women were on the U18 team that got a silver in the European B a couple of year’s ago? Sounds like a relative golden generation. From the little snippets I saw on social media they look like a great bunch of young athletes. Fair play to them.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I presume a number of those women were on the U18 team that got a silver in the European B a couple of year’s ago? Sounds like a relative golden generation. From the little snippets I saw on social media they look like a great bunch of young athletes. Fair play to them.

Essentially the same team. I know this will sound possibly elitist to some, but the achievement of making it to the A Division is better than any medal in B. That’s what should be celebrated and acknowledged.

National media of course giving more coverage to some random Junior B hurling game in Ballygobackwards than this. :rolleyes: I’m exaggerating for sure, but only to highlight the inequity of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

at least they mentioned it on Today Fm news a few times !!

2smiggy wrote: »
    at least they mentioned it on Today Fm news a few times !!

Oh that’s great, missed that as I don’t usually listen to Today FM in the mornings (or very much at all anymore tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

My god, Melo is such an annoying character.. Can't he just go to China, I'll happily watch his 50pts on pull ups compilations, but just leave the NBA alone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,552 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Boogie tore his ACL

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1162044401746681856?s=20
    Los Angeles Lakers center DeMarcus Cousins has suffered a torn ACL in his knee, league sources tell
    @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Disaster

Gutted for Boogie, one of my favourite players of recent years. We'll never get to see his full potential unfortunatly

Really sad. Always liked Boogie, very under-rated and under-appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Cruel blow for Cousins, injuries really adding up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A big man who's nearly 30 - he's probably washed now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yep, very sad for such a talented player, I think he got a worse rep than he deserved for his attitude and such, talent is off the charts but sad to see him not reach the potential he had, I think he was on course to bring it up another level before the Achilles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

All this talk about Kuzma potentially being the Lakers 3rd star, now he really has to step up.

Strange comment from Windhorst on the Simmons pod earlier this week where he said he thought the FIBA ball was slightly smaller than the NBA ball. Such a bizarre thing to say from a guy who normally has his sh*t together.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Strange comment from Windhorst on the Simmons pod earlier this week where he said he thought the FIBA ball was slightly smaller than the NBA ball. Such a bizarre thing to say from a guy who normally has his sh*t together.

LMAO
    This same BS has been heard since 2006: https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/2246/that-ball-is-the-same-size

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I was really surprised that a guy as knowledgeable as Windhorst came out with it.

I’ve heard it in the past when I’m the states and from Yanks at the last Worlds in Madrid and I was like “no, no, no, no, no”, but some randomer saying it in a bar or at a game is very different to a commentator saying it. It’s like something from 20+ years ago when the yanks would regularly come out with all sorts of cliches and nonsense about the European game and players.

Lakers looking at Dwight amongst others to replace Boogie. Oh it would be funny. Sure add Melo too for the craic....:pac:

Australia beat the US last night. Mills in particular and Bogut were excellent, some great high post pick and roll action from both that the US really had no answers for.

Listened to all 5 parts of "The Sterling Affairs" over the weekend. Narrated by Ramona Shelburne, it chronicles the rise and fall of Donald Sterling and how he eventually came to losing ownership of the Clippers. Truth be told, it's a bit of a weird listen. Shelburne seems to lean too much into making Mrs. Sterling look whiter than white and paint the villian (V. Stiviano) in the most unflattering light as possible attempting as she does for example to paint all of the Sterlings' housing history complaints and violtaions as being entirely Donald's fault. Again by way of eample she seems to gloss over the fact that Mrs. Sterling posed as a Health & Saftey officer to gain access (illegally) to tennants properties. It's grand, but you won't learn much new from it. Now I'm not saying Stiviano is a saint, but equally Mrs. Sterling is no angel. She (Shelburne) also seems to suggest that Serling's comments didn't really come to the attention of the mainstream until he insulted Magic, and she suggests that Johnson is universally loved. Magic is not as universally loved as she seems to suggest IMO anyway, and that's backed up by a klot of what came out in the ESPN piece on the Lakers earlier this year. Donald obviously comes out looking as awful as you can imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Howard grudgingly accepts a no-farting clause in his contract.

Advertisement