Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting spoken sentences with 'so'

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

markest wrote: »
    Can someone explain the "so" at the end of a sentence?
    Eg. I'm going to town, so.

It's Hiberno-English for therefore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Anyone else notice an increase in this? Hearing it a lot on radio, podcasts etc

It seems to be the new trendy speech 'tick'...it's the new 'like'.

It's usually in response to a question, the 'so' indicating to the listener that they are about to receive a condescending education on something.

Down with condescension and all that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There is always the brief pause after the So...
    I recommend people use that pause to turn on their heel and walk off before the waffle can commence :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I find people who start sentences with "I mean..." more irritating.

"I mean... he's not wrong" :mad:

I can understand it if somebody says it to further explain something they've just said. But it seems to be used by some as a starting sentence or to answer somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

So there's this new thing creeping into the online lexicon of starting sentences with "I mean", it's highly irritating and seems to be mostly the preserve of yanks on reddit.

You mean like this?
    :confused: The outside is a cats natural habitat. I mean they are predators, it's literally what they are designed to do, to roam free within reason and hunt.

And no, no I don't want a cat doing it's business inside my place, it's simply not hygienic.
    When will it end though? I mean, it can't go on forever and many notable and popular characters have been retired.
    "Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

Basically this.
    Is tipping Taxi drivers really a thing? :confused:

I mean, I'm not tight or anything, but they are expensive enough as is...
    I honestly don't know why any gender would be posing with kids TBH. Very odd.

I mean, it's a dating site. Keep it to pics of you, your friends or adult siblings.
    I mean, to each their own and all that, but I just can't find female politicians attractive...
    Nah hair transplants still look dodge as fook.

I mean, Wayne Rooney.

Bald dude here. Embrace the baldness lads and for God sake don't attempt a comb over or wig or grow whats left out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's usually in response to a question, the 'so' indicating to the listener that they are about to receive a condescending education on something.

Nothing new about it. I've been hearing people start their sentences with "So..." for years.

"So...are we going to go to the bleedin boozer or what?"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Starting sentences with 'So' is an Americanism brought here via the corporate companies. I have been hearing it since the late nineties. Usually used by those who have totally sold their soul to the corporate culture, go-getters, career climbers, a***lickers and other names for middle management.

It is and it isn't.

Starting a statement with "So" is very American. "So, I was walking into town yesterday..." But a question, rhetorical or otherwise has been part of the Irish tounge for donkey's years. "So, did ya get off with yer wan last night, or wha?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I phoned a company recently and got their answering service. The greeting started, "So, you have reached......" Grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You mean like this?

**** me that's highly creepy you'd go back to all that trouble to make what point exactly?

My point was that there is a tendency for folk to start every single sentence using that term; the term in and of itself is fine.

Christ this place sometimes. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

The first recorded use of “so” as a sentence opener is in Chaucer's “Troilus and Criseyde”, published in the 1380s.

Looking forward to the posts complaining about this “new trend” of using the word staycation in about 650 years time.

Ah yes! But that coming from Chaucer, that chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A lot of the currently ubiquitous medical experts seem to use it a lot, I'm thinking Cillian De Gascun in particular. It seems to signify that the speaker is not going to immediately provide a direct answer to the question asked but intends to sketch a broader picture. Doesn't bother me if what they are saying is actually informative.

Advertisement