Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To tip or not to tip?

Options
  • 15-02-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

We had an oil delivery today, the driver mentioned he's delivered to our house a few times before.

He filled the oil tank, gave me the receipt, then it got a bit awkward before I said goodbye and went inside. I found out after that the wife usually tips a fiver or tenner, so he was probably expecting the same from me -hence the awkwardness. Do people on here tip delivery drivers outside of food - e.g. Harvey Norman, Currys?

Personally I tip restaurant staff, food deliveries, taxi drivers and at the barbers. Found out today the wife tips just about every service provider who calls to the door. Whats the accepted etiquette for say a furniture delivery, or someone servicing the boiler?

I had no idea we had so much disposable income to be giving away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've never heard of tipping the oil delivery man.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tell your wife she has to reel it in a bit, she make the rest of us look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps a tip/price of a pint if it was pissing down heavy rain at the time, otherwise no, it wouldn't be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

At Christmas I might tip an oil man but never just during the year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Here is a tip for you OP...have a word with your wife.
    She cant be tipping everyone who calls to the door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

biko wrote: »
    Tell your wife she has to reel it in a bit, she make the rest of us look bad.

I mention the boiler service, cos I just found out he got a 20! Mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Better her tipping him than him tipping her.

I tip for food delivery only. Not worried about my oil being spat in! ;)

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Better her tipping him than him tipping her.

Id want more than 500 litres in the tank for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Barber/Hairdresser-yes
    Taxi driver if they aren’t racist-yes

Everyone else-no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Are you sure he hasn't been giving it a bit of a service with the deliveries.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

You sure the delivery man wasnt tipped because he gave your wife a happy ending after the oil delivery...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Tipping is something I only do in America and then I do it sparingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

theguzman wrote: »
    Tipping is something I only do in America and then I do it sparingly.

We get robbed here anyway.

You sure the delivery man wasnt tipped because he gave your wife a happy ending after the oil delivery...?

Well whatever he was waiting for today, he wasnt getting it off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

We get robbed here anyway.

Waitors and Waitresses earn minimum so they are not that hard up anyway. I paid for a meal in restaurant in Dublin last week and the waitress presented me the cardreader with the screen to insert my tip open on it before, I added €2 and then paid it with my meal. I thought it was very cheeky effectively asking for a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Well whatever he was waiting for today, he wasnt getting it off me!

Probably wanted to show you his hose!🀣🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I find a good hand shake and a sincere thank you is better than a tip for most people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

I tip anyone who does a service for me.Just to let them know I appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,951 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We are now turning into the fuçkin US, where we are going to be expected to tip everyone, part with even more of our cash having already paid for said product and service in one of the most expensive countries going. Because people want that self pat on the back from ..’oh wow I’m so great, so generous etc’....people in the service industry will be getting paid less because the employer believes it’s in keeping with tradition now that employee get 15% of their income from tips, the customers pay 15% over the asking price for said service and the businessman is making more by paying less...

A kid waiting a table, yes, it’s an industry that’s relied on tips for centuries, taxi drivers too, but starting this US shît of basically anybody that holds a door for you, says hello or interacts with you over any transaction based situation? NO... the US can keep its culture, I’ll keep my money unless I choose to part with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

My new philosophy has been if they charge for miwadi they can sing, otherwise no prob tipping waiting staff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Is tipping Taxi drivers really a thing? :confused:

I mean, I'm not tight or anything, but they are expensive enough as is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Is people now so tight as to show a little appreciation by tipping to someone who performs a service to them so they can continue to live a easier life as to not have to do it themselves? It's shameful how society has gone. Bash my post all you want but it doesn't change the fact of how entitled people have become.

I tend to add a couple of quid or round up to the nearest fiver - if the fare is 22.60 Ill tell him to make it 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Tipping is for the birds.

Staff should be paid more if they rely on tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I dont understand that one either. I dont understand tipping anyone who you are already giving money directly to.
    Would tip waitressing staff and thats about it and not if they are brutal. Oh and my hairdresser.

I certainly wouldnt be tipping oil delivery man. What about tesco, dhl, postman? Where does it end

Is people now so tight as to show a little appreciation by tipping to someone who performs a service to them so they can continue to live a easier life as to not have to do it themselves? It's shameful how society has gone. Bash my post all you want but it doesn't change the fact of how entitled people have become.

Surely the person expecting to be paid for the same job by both their employer and the customer is the one thats entitled, no?

I got quotes from 3 websites for the cheapest delivery. It would seem odd to then give them back the saving anyway - to me at least.

Im not exactly flush myself, so to use your analogy Id be making their life easier at the expense of my own.

Ive no problem with tipping where its the norm. The point of my post is I have no idea what the norm is anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Taxi driver if they aren’t racist-yes

Why taxi drivers out of interest? Are they particularly hard up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’m trying to think of the people who come to the door and whether I tip - typically they’re self employed and I have negotiated a price ( gas boiler installation, servicing something, installing electrics, window cleaner) so no - in all these instances I don’t tip. If the price has to be raised because of something unexpected then I’ll typically agree it. Regarding cafes and restaurants I now round up a bit if its a meal but don’t give 10% - if its e22 I’ll give e25 etc - I never tip for coffees - its expensive enough and its not America where they are not paid a wage. In a restaurant or cafe If someone is clearly having a dreadful day or if everything has gone wrong despite their best efforts or if they are overwhelmed and clearly doing their hardest or someone is being cruel or they are overwhelmed and devestatingly understaffed then I will tip generously not just a few shillings.

Can I just say: we had reason to have the firebrigade out and I rang to ask what was the norm to drop in to thank them - they said noone ever did. I couldn’t believe that for men who risk their lives and rush into burning buildings and go to nasty car wrecks that noone ever tips them. So I dropped in some boxes of chocolates and a card and you never saw grown man as happy! It’s the little things that make life nice. But this hand out and self entitlement and taximen ‘ not having chagre and sitting there for 10 minutes waiting for you to leave while they scrabble around pretending to look for your fiver change - forget it.

• Advertisement

I was in a comedy club in NYC about 10 years ago. 2 rounds of drinks came to 37 dollars. I paid the bill with a hundred - 20 mins later no change had come back.
    Tracked down the server and asked where my change was. They got all smart and said something to the effect of "if you're mean enough to want change, you have to ask for it". 63 dollar tip on a 37 dollar bill!

Advertisement